2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Cut the Cord.

Yenamos

I assumed this would be another get rid of Gary McAccord topic since he's back this week. Made for an interesting read though. Next week is all his with the shenanigans at 16 in Scottsdale. I will say that ESPN's streaming quality during the national football final this year was horrible. I tried using their app and through directTV and neither worked well. Other channels were fine that night. Clearly they weren't ready for the required bandwidth.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using Roku device. I got Sling TV Blue for $25, added sports package with GC for $10. 55ish channels for $35 a month. Outside antenna gives another 67 channels. Being members of Amazon prime you get prime TV free which equals thousands of movies & shows. Internet is $60. Now my bill is $100 a month vs $180 with Spectrum.

Sling blue is $40 month, so to add sports it would be $50. Looked into this extensively. Am I missing something?

Sling blue is $25,orange is $20. Orange and blue is $40. You can add a sports package to any plan. HOWEVER, the golf channel only comes in the sports package if you have sling blue or blue and orange, it's not in the sports package with orange alone. The orange or orange plus blue is the only way to get ESPN. So if you want the GC plus ESPN you're in for $50... Orange plus blue $40 and the $10 sports package.

^^^This, I didn't want espn.

Also, with streaming there's a bunch of free channels that have thousands & thousands of free movies,TV, sports: Tubitv, Roku channel, Pluto, B-Movie TV, & Crackle are a few that I like. I even set my 80yr old mother up with streaming & she LOVES IT! And she's also saving over $100 a month.

I tried out Hulu live and Sling after cutting out DirecTV - tired of paying $160 a month. Hulu buffered a lot, which is too bad, I really liked the interface. I am still using Sling but don't have ESPN - which is fine except for April when they broadcast the Masters! I will just add it for the month and then turn it back off.

I've been streaming for about 4 months now and Sling has never buffered once. I really like the A La Carte... for me it was the best choice (channels,price,no contract,offerings.) What's also nice is you change or add packages anytime and it does the price adjustments automatically right then & there. Been with cable & dish for 35yrs and I'm so glad I did this. You're really in control of your TV and It's fun. I can't wait until you can actually pay for only the stations you want... I think that's only a few years away!

I didn't see this in the thread, but we should get ready for a new disruptive technology called 5G and it is being rolled out later this year. 5G is up to ten times as fast as 4G and will be used within your home and between your home and your ISP.

So a year from now we need to have the same discussion all over.

http://www.businessinsider.com/5g-speed-network-lte-2018-1/#what-is-5g-1

I didn't see this in the thread, but we should get ready for a new disruptive technology called 5G and it is being rolled out later this year. 5G is up to ten times as fast as 4G and will be used within your home and between your home and your ISP.

So a year from now we need to have the same discussion all over.

http://www.businessinsider.com/5g-speed-network-lte-2018-1/#what-is-5g-1

5G could be a game changer. Cable providers and your local Telco have generally had a monopoly for what's called the "final mile" (service to the premises). If 5G can bring alternatives to the cable company that will give consumers choices and introduce competition where there often is little to none.

Anyone concerned that if too many people move to online service that the internet providers will jack the rates or start charging per gig?

Yup, this IS what's going to happen. Instead of one package through cable, everything will be divided up in small chunks which will probably end up costing more than what we used to pay. Net Neutrality will factor into this as well, in a big way from the ISP side.

Once they can dictate where the bandwidth is going, they'll start charging accordingly. Streaming something not a part of the ISP family? Extra charge. And it'll be put back on us because it's not like Netflix or any of these other streaking services are going to just eat the extra cost or make less profits.

I've been using YouTube TV for a bit over a month now and I'm really impressed by it. The streaming quality is perfect and I haven't run into any issues, with the exception of my phone losing control so if I need to pause or rewind, I'll basically need to reconnect to the Chromecast. If you have a newer Smart TV, I'm sure they make an app you can run directly from the TV itself.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

Anyone concerned that if too many people move to online service that the internet providers will jack the rates or start charging per gig?

Yup, this IS what's going to happen. Instead of one package through cable, everything will be divided up in small chunks which will probably end up costing more than what we used to pay. Net Neutrality will factor into this as well, in a big way from the ISP side.

Once they can dictate where the bandwidth is going, they'll start charging accordingly. Streaming something not a part of the ISP family? Extra charge. And it'll be put back on us because it's not like Netflix or any of these other streaking services are going to just eat the extra cost or make less profits.

I've been using YouTube TV for a bit over a month now and I'm really impressed by it. The streaming quality is perfect and I haven't run into any issues, with the exception of my phone losing control so if I need to pause or rewind, I'll basically need to reconnect to the Chromecast. If you have a newer Smart TV, I'm sure they make an app you can run directly from the TV itself.

Definitely think there's potential to what you say. Though I wouldn't write off the repeal of net neutrality too quickly. States are already threatening with their own and there are some HUGE players out there none too happy either like Google, Amazon, Netflix that can do something to offset it.

With 5G, it could mean not only Spectrum for broadband but I'd also have a choice of Verizon, AT&T, Sprint etc. They will compete viciously for customers. Gonna be interesting.

This is wonderful. I love it when businesses compete for my dollar and give me options to choose from.

I would be nice if we could all pay for only the services we want and only for the gigs we consume. And make those choices between three or four companies.

Definitely think there's potential to what you say. Though I wouldn't write off the repeal of net neutrality too quickly. States are already threatening with their own and there are some HUGE players out there none too happy either like Google, Amazon, Netflix that can do something to offset it.

With 5G, it could mean not only Spectrum for broadband but I'd also have a choice of Verizon, AT&T, Sprint etc. They will compete viciously for customers. Gonna be interesting.

That's the intent of removing net neutrality. Competition and choices. That's the only way to drive prices down, innovation up, and service up.

That's the intent of removing net neutrality. Competition and choices. That's the only way to drive prices down, innovation up, and service up.

This is absolutely not the intent of removing net neutrality. Net neutrality requires ISPs to provide the same speed to any streaming service running thru their system. ISPs hate this. Removing net neutrality allows ISPs to control the speed of competing streaming services. Hence, Comcast could slow down Hulu, YouTube, and the others just to make their cable product run better. ISPs want to charge streaming services to run on their system. Their argument is that they built the road, so they should be able to control the traffic. Removing net neutrality allows Comcast and other ISPs to control the internet, not just speed but content, as well.

This is absolutely not the intent of removing net neutrality. Net neutrality requires ISPs to provide the same speed to any streaming service running thru their system. ISPs hate this. Removing net neutrality allows ISPs to control the speed of competing streaming services. Hence, Comcast could slow down Hulu, YouTube, and the others just to make their cable product run better. ISPs want to charge streaming services to run on their system. Their argument is that they built the road, so they should be able to control the traffic. Removing net neutrality allows Comcast and other ISPs to control the internet, not just speed but content, as well.

Well if Google (YouTube), Netflix, and Hulu don't like it, they could always build out their own networks instead of spending billions (in Netflix's case) of dollars a year on content. Google certainly has the deep pockets to do so. I'm no fan of Verizon or Comcast or AT&T, but I'm not sure why they should be forced to subsidize Netflix's business model. Netflix accounts for nearly 75% of internet traffic at times - why should that be costless to Netflix?

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Dwboston,

That's a metering consideration, which has always been allowed. Repeal of net neutrality allows discrimination of services... Comcast could block or degrade Netflix but allow unlimited access to their own streaming services. Which I believe is wrong.

The broadband subscriber is the customer of both Netflix and Comcast.

DirecTV for me.

And with the net neutrality thing in flux, you're going to be paying a ton for internet service to stream stuff. Either way, at some point, you're going to be paying for TV.

That's the beauty of a free market. You eventually get a balance and everybody pays for what they need. At some point providers will charge the grandma who only does email a very small fee and the kid who games 24/7 a huge fee.

In fact, if it were my business, I would provide email free for everybody since it's a trivial expense and that would help expand my heavy user customer base.

Let's just say that lots of smart people have a different opinion than you. That's OK. And I am ending my replies on this since we are getting too close to politics and this golf message board prohibits that.

Thanks.

Just an update: I just got an email from YouTube TV announcing they are now on Roku. So now I have to look hard at their streaming service once again. PS Vue is working well for me currently. One other note: I also received an email from PS Vue stating that I can watch the Super Bowl live through the NBC Sports app. Just have to enter my info for PS Vue as provider.. Good service and no junk mail. It’s good having choices.

DirecTV for me.

And with the net neutrality thing in flux, you're going to be paying a ton for internet service to stream stuff. Either way, at some point, you're going to be paying for TV.

That's the beauty of a free market. You eventually get a balance and everybody pays for what they need. At some point providers will charge the grandma who only does email a very small fee and the kid who games 24/7 a huge fee.

In fact, if it were my business, I would provide email free for everybody since it's a trivial expense and that would help expand my heavy user customer base.

Be careful, they might, and add plenty of adds to accompany that free service.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

I’m just curious on others experiences with the NHL.tv channel. I don’t belong to any hockey boards so my feedback is limited. I watch every Bruins live feed with a fast connection. The only complaints are that every game I get 2-3 30 second or so periods where the clarity fades out. It doesn’t buffer or slow the action so it’s bearable. Just annoying. Other than that the picture is perfect. It usually does it after they return from a commercial break and I wonder if the channel is disconnecting or slowing the feed ti save bandwidth? I don’t have this problem with other live channels. I regularly watch every race on NYRA Now without experiencing this. Anyone else having this same problem?

Well if Google (YouTube), Netflix, and Hulu don't like it, they could always build out their own networks instead of spending billions (in Netflix's case) of dollars a year on content. Google certainly has the deep pockets to do so. I'm no fan of Verizon or Comcast or AT&T, but I'm not sure why they should be forced to subsidize Netflix's business model. Netflix accounts for nearly 75% of internet traffic at times - why should that be costless to Netflix?

Google already has fiber, they just haven't built it out, probably because of net neutrality and them not being sure how it was going to shake out. They offer 100x the speed of most cable provides at approximately $40/mo. It's only in a few areas, I wish I was in one of them. With that brings in other problems though, like the pissing match between Google and Amazon as one example.

If you have Google Fiber, here is one example on how this can be different depending on the laws:

Net Neutrality in place like it is now = unrestricted, unlimited bandwidth to whatever, whenever

Net Neutrality repealed, as is being voted on / passed = unrestricted, unlimited bandwidth to YouTube, and any other services Google owns or has relationships with. Amazon? They'll either throttle it or potentially not allow it at all. It's their road, they control who is on it and how fast they get to go.

If NN is repealed, our costs WILL go up. All of a sudden Netflix has to pay a premium to get their content streamed at 1080p or 4K? You think they're going to just absorb that cost? No, their plans will go up, as will our internet rates. These companies aren't just going to sit around and let their profits go down.

And Roadking, we're mature adults, we can have a good banter back and forth without getting too politically charged, right? At least I'm up for it! I practically lay on my right side if you catch my drift, so people from the same political party can certainly have difference of opinions on matters.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

Google already has fiber, they just haven't built it out, probably because of net neutrality and them not being sure how it was going to shake out. They offer 100x the speed of most cable provides at approximately $40/mo. It's only in a few areas, I wish I was in one of them. With that brings in other problems though, like the pissing match between Google and Amazon as one example.

If you have Google Fiber, here is one example on how this can be different depending on the laws:

Net Neutrality in place like it is now = unrestricted, unlimited bandwidth to whatever, whenever

Net Neutrality repealed, as is being voted on / passed = unrestricted, unlimited bandwidth to YouTube, and any other services Google owns or has relationships with. Amazon? They'll either throttle it or potentially not allow it at all. It's their road, they control who is on it and how fast they get to go.

If NN is repealed, our costs WILL go up. All of a sudden Netflix has to pay a premium to get their content streamed at 1080p or 4K? You think they're going to just absorb that cost? No, their plans will go up, as will our internet rates. These companies aren't just going to sit around and let their profits go down.

And Roadking, we're mature adults, we can have a good banter back and forth without getting too politically charged, right? At least I'm up for it! I practically lay on my right side if you catch my drift, so people from the same political party can certainly have difference of opinions on matters.

I'm aware of Google's fiber situation - it's been sitting on a lot of dark fiber for years. Google could have built out its own network - it chose to instead invest in lobbying in Washington to force other network owners to carry its Youtube traffic cheaply. Classic rent-seeking.

Why should Verizon, AT&T, or any company be forced to subsidize Google's or Netflix's business model? Because consumers like cheap Netflix plans? Netflix is free riding under the guise of "net neutrality" - whatever that term means anymore. Those companies spent billions of dollars licensing wireless spectrum and building out wireless and cable/fiber networks - why shouldn't they be allowed to segment traffic on their networks, when Netflix and Youtube make up a huge percentage of that traffic. When your business model depends on forcing someone else to carry your product at below-market rates under threat from the government, then maybe there's a problem with your business model, especially when control of the government changes hands.

This boils down to "people (and companies) love getting something for nothing". I'm no fan of the legacy telcos, but they should be able to generate ROI on their network build-outs. And the scare tactics that Verizon or AT&T or Comcast or Charter would block NFLX or YouTube are ridiculous.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I'm aware of Google's fiber situation - it's been sitting on a lot of dark fiber for years. Google could have built out its own network - it chose to instead invest in lobbying in Washington to force other network owners to carry its Youtube traffic cheaply. Classic rent-seeking.

Why should Verizon, AT&T, or any company be forced to subsidize Google's or Netflix's business model? Because consumers like cheap Netflix plans? Netflix is free riding under the guise of "net neutrality" - whatever that term means anymore. Those companies spent billions of dollars licensing wireless spectrum and building out wireless and cable/fiber networks - why shouldn't they be allowed to segment traffic on their networks, when Netflix and Youtube make up a huge percentage of that traffic. When your business model depends on forcing someone else to carry your product at below-market rates under threat from the government, then maybe there's a problem with your business model, especially when control of the government changes hands.

This boils down to "people (and companies) love getting something for nothing". I'm no fan of the legacy telcos, but they should be able to generate ROI on their network build-outs. And the scare tactics that Verizon or AT&T or Comcast or Charter would block NFLX or YouTube are ridiculous.

I don't actually think anything will get blocked, like Google blocking Amazon for example, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility, no? Maybe I'm completely misinformed, but from a high level, when you create a pay-for-play scenario, the only people it's going to hurt is the users. If ISPs can charge extra to certain companies for certain traffic, that's likely what'll happen in some shape or form.

ISPs are making more in the current system with regard to their buildouts. My internet plan is a heck of a lot more expensive now than it was just a few years ago, and I doubt it's in direct proportion to their increased costs to continue to build it out.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

Using PlayStation Vue. It’s ok. Only get one local channel and can’t get any others with antenna. Trying Hulu Live this week, only problem is I can’t watch through my PS4. Have to connect via HDMI cable.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei Blue 65 S 
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* AeroTech Steel Fiber FC HYB S (+1/2")
Srixon ZU85 4(22*) UST Recoil f3
Callaway Apex ‘21 5/6 UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway Apex Pro ‘21 7-AW UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway MD5 Tour 54*S /60*T DG S200 (+1/2")
Toulon San Diego 34” or Odyssey #1 Tank CB 38” 
Callaway Chrome Soft 3's

I use Playstation Vue. I tried Hulu Plus and while the interface and content is awesome, I get constant buffering even with my router being in the same room as the TV. Playstion Vue streams flawlessly and has all of the stations I need.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

• 1 month later...
I'm no fan of Verizon or Comcast or AT&T, but I'm not sure why they should be forced to subsidize Netflix's business model.

They aren't.

Netflix accounts for nearly 75% of internet traffic at times - why should that be costless to Netflix?

It's not costless. Internet companies pay telecoms to connect their servers connected, just like normal users.

Well if Google (YouTube), Netflix, and Hulu don't like it, they could always build out their own networks instead of spending billions (in Netflix's case) of dollars a year on content.

That's not how internet works.

Thanks to Internet, anyone can install a computer anywhere, pay a local telecom, and get connected to internet.

If I have a server here in Uruguay, I don't have to pay any telecoms in Mexico, Germany, Japan or elsewhere.

Telecoms are interconnected to each other, it's called communication.