2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Titleist Tour Soft

thomo85

A lot of strange 'comparison' comments here. What do you compare it to? Other golf balls! Neither my club or the hole know if a ball is urethane, surlyn or how many pieces it's made from!

I've tried the Tour Soft having got my hands on some this week. I had the test balls previously as well and they are identical. Really soft cover. Feel great on the putter. Doesn't have the 'click' of pro v and I like that. I know some people need a clicky feeling though.

Have tested on trackman too. Spin numbers are better for me than Chrome Soft all round. Very similar to TP5. Not as checky as Pro v1 on short shots but I can cope with that.

£25 per doz in UK as opposed to £40 for pro v. I'm going to give them a decent try this year.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually tried the ball on Sunday. First I’m going to put aside cost and how many layers it has or what type of cover it has. I’m going on performance. Great ball. Probably not what you guys want to hear. Long and piercing trajectory. I usually hit high and this ball kept a little lower than normal and felt great off of every club. I played one ball for the whole round. Very durable. Had a 105!yard shot...I hit a gap wedge that went about 110 yards and spun back about six feet. 7 iron shot into the green stopped about 3 feet from the landing mark. From short distances checked up good but less than a Pro V1. I like it better than the Q Star Tour. I don’t like Pro V1. Felt like a chrome soft. The tour soft performed really well. I like it better than the e6, super soft, TrueSoft and anything under 35 dollars. Maybe the new project a will be better for me. Who knows. I’ll give it a try. What bugged the hell out of me on the project a was the freaking seam. Maybe the new one will be better.

Bottom line, I like the way the Titleist Tour Soft performed.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

Titleist can use all of their typical adjectives they use for their balls--premium, exceptional, superior--but until there are some numbers posted with which the TS can be compared to other balls, the speculation is just that....speculation about how the ball will perform. Right now, all I know for sure is that Titleist is selling a 2 piece Surlyn ball for $35 which to me seems ridiculous. Srixon used to make a 2 piece urethane covered ball (E5) for under $30 that didnt perform as well for me as other tour level balls that were cheaper after they were replaced by new generation models, so I didnt play the E5. But Srixon isnt Titleist and doesnt have their "brand" or marketing prowess.

Again, I dont care if folks want to pay $35 for a 2 piece Surlyn ball. But unless Titleist has magically transformed a 2 piece ball into a tour level performer, Ill gladly pass on it and pay less for a ball that plays better for me. I'll pay as much attention to the TS as I did to the NXTs, which is none. Just my opinion. And, if the sleeve of test balls i got a couple of months ago from Titleist is the TS, I'm not impressed and I thought the TruSoft was as good.

One minor point, the E5 was Bridgestone and not Srixon. And yes, the E5 was a lousy ball.

Thanks for the correction--I made the edit to my original post.

Well I personally didn't want to hear it's a good ball. Since I just picked up some used titleist irons I will probly try this ball now since that is how my ocd works.

That’s really funny.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue

So what is a "4CE grafted cover"?

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I found one yesterday, and played it for a couple holes. It felt soft, but not as soft as the Supersoft I was playing. I did not notice more spin on the greens, but I hit a 4 iron into one green, and hit a blind, short(very shallow pitch mark), 56 wedge into the other. The reason I took it out of play was I had a decent score going, and the ball felt "heavy". Hard to explain the feeling, but it immediately reminded me of the NXT Tour S that I used to play. I guess the best way I can explain it is it feels "solid", and "feels" like it weighs more than the Supersoft I was playing yesterday. The Tour Soft is the polar opposite feeling of say a Srixon Z star or Q Star Tour. The Srixons feel light, and almost hollow to me. FWIW, I will give the Tour Soft another go. I'm now curious to see how much spin I can get with it.

I actually tried the ball on Sunday. First I'm going to put aside cost and how many layers it has or what type of cover it has. I'm going on performance. Great ball. Probably not what you guys want to hear. Long and piercing trajectory. I usually hit high and this ball kept a little lower than normal and felt great off of every club. I played one ball for the whole round. Very durable. Had a 105!yard shot...I hit a gap wedge that went about 110 yards and spun back about six feet. 7 iron shot into the green stopped about 3 feet from the landing mark. From short distances checked up good but less than a Pro V1. I like it better than the Q Star Tour. I don't like Pro V1. Felt like a chrome soft. The tour soft performed really well. I like it better than the e6, super soft, TrueSoft and anything under 35 dollars. Maybe the new project a will be better for me. Who knows. I'll give it a try. What bugged the hell out of me on the project a was the freaking seam. Maybe the new one will be better.

Bottom line, I like the way the Titleist Tour Soft performed.

Team Titleist sent me some test balls which I'm almost certain are the tour soft and as you say its a good ball, not much between the Chromesoft or the Srixon Ad333 Tour either, all really really similar pay your money take your choice

Driver for Show Putter for dough!

Come on Titleist - are you joking with that commercial? More spin than the B330S and TP5? Reeks of desperation for people to overspend.

I thought is said Tour B RXS. A bit of a difference between that and the XS (B330S replacement)

It did compare it to the Tour B RXS. The commercial is on the Titleist website. Nothing mentioned regarding spin though.

Come on Titleist - are you joking with that commercial? More spin than the B330S and TP5? Reeks of desperation for people to overspend.

I thought is said Tour B RXS. A bit of a difference between that and the XS (B330S replacement)

It did. The commercial is on the Titleist website.

Yeah he’d have had a good point if the commercial had claimed more spin or compared to B330S. But it did not.

So what is a "4CE grafted cover"?

Surlyn with a college education.

I think you are correct! :drinks:

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

Since I bought a box of Tietleist Tour Softs last Friday for the weekend, I want to compare it against the Srixon Q Star Tour next time I go to the golf course. I bought Q Star Tours at Golf Galaxy just a while ago. My un-scientific bounce test at home from same height has revealed that the Titleist sounds softer and bounces higher than the Srixon.

I hit a few little chips here at home and the Titleist Tour Soft definitely feels softer. I will decide soon which ball I like better. I also look forward to the new Project A coming out mid February. Eventually I’ll test all three and decide for myself which is better for my game. I will judge their performance and will put aside how many layers each ball has or what type of cover. Like I said in my earlier post...the Titleist Tour Soft performed extremely well this past weekend. But I will give all three balls an opportunity by testing them out.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue

Not a fanboy of any brand here as my ball collection has the following in rotation - Snell, Vice, Titlesit, Callaway, Maxfli , Ksigs,Top-Flite, Srixon, and Wilson, and can say I feel Srixon has the best line-up top to bottom. What I don't understand is how Titleist can always get away selling a ball for $35 when the direct crossover in class from any other company is about $20-$25. I know some pro shops are exclusive and only carry Titleist (my local course is one) but if you live near a big box golf store or have the internet there are so many options it's crazy to spend more for a name.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Not a fanboy of any brand here as my ball collection has the following in rotation - Snell, Vice, Titlesit, Callaway, Maxfli , Ksigs,Top-Flite, Srixon, and Wilson, and can say I feel Srixon has the best line-up top to bottom. What I don't understand is how Titleist can always get away selling a ball for $35 when the direct crossover in class from any other company is about $20-$25. I know some pro shops are exclusive and only carry Titleist (my local course is one) but if you live near a big box golf store or have the internet there are so many options it's crazy to spend more for a name.

Because for decades Titleist has been the one brand of balls that commands a price premium of a few dollars a dozen. There are lots of products in the world where some particular brand brings higher prices simply because of its name. Combination of marketing, reputation, quality and carefully managed brand perception.

Because for decades Titleist has been the one brand of balls that commands a price premium of a few dollars a dozen. There are lots of products in the world where some particular brand brings higher prices simply because of its name. Combination of marketing, reputation, quality and carefully managed brand perception.

I get all that, which is why I said in today’s world there is easier access to many other quality products. I guess I am most confused by someone who thinks ProVa are too expensive but is ok spending $35 on a 2 pc ball. If the Brand perception is so overwhelming why no but the best they have ? I would love to see this ball tested against the Get Sum which is half the price

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

For myself, it comes down to this. I don't really care what the cover is made of as long as the ball performs well for me. Where I live in south west michigan, it seems as though every course designer was high on elevated greens. So if I miss one like usual, more times than not, I am coming in with elevation, so the ball won't go too far after landing anyway. I only play a couple of courses around here that have greens as firm as pool tables so the use of urethane can help there but again 90% or more of those greens are elevated as well so I don't get to try the low burner that skids and stops too often. I know this won't ring true for everyone, but where I play the most, this is the norm.

For myself, it comes down to this. I don't really care what the cover is made of as long as the ball performs well for me. Where I live in south west michigan, it seems as though every course designer was high on elevated greens. So if I miss one like usual, more times than not, I am coming in with elevation, so the ball won't go too far after landing anyway. I only play a couple of courses around here that have greens as firm as pool tables so the use of urethane can help there but again 90% or more of those greens are elevated as well so I don't get to try the low burner that skids and stops too often. I know this won't ring true for everyone, but where I play the most, this is the norm.

A friend of my plays Surlyn cover balls up in the land of Bent grass greens. It wasn't until he made a road trip to the one of the RTJ Trail courses in Alabama that he understood why, living as I do in the land of Bermuda ultradwarfs, I always insist on Urethane balls for the extra approach shot spin.

Low clubhead speed, low trajectory and super-firm TifEagle greens means I either use a ball that spins or else I land my 7-iron shots short of the green and hope they bounce on.

Oh, I am on board with what you are saying. I have played in southern states and a couple courses around here where they are advantageous. But due to the expense of those course we don't play them every week. So usually we end up on greens where approach shots still leave deep marks in the middle of July.

First time I played golf up north it was one of those four rounds in three days long weekend golf group things. Friday and twice Saturday I took a while to get used to flying even 5-iron and 6-iron shots all the way to the hole and having them dig a crater then stop immediately. Cheap public courses where they have to water the heck out of the grass in mid-summer.

I had just about adjusted when we played a course on Sunday that for whatever reason was hard as a rock. You'd have thought it was winter and the ground was frozen. So of course I hit iron shots over the green all day long. D'Oh!

I remember asking my teaching pro about tips for playing "up north" right before I left. He said, "Just remember this. When you're putting, there's only uphill and downhill. No grain."

Which was surprisingly important advice. Starting out as a beginner down here, it's remarkable how automatic it becomes to allow for the additional effect of grain on putts. First time I putted on Bent grass it was kind of weird.

That is a huge claim to make that could blow up in their face.

Might want to actually watch the commercial since they don't make that claim.

"It’s not only the softest ball in the category. It’s better and longer than Chrome Soft, TP5 and Tour B RXS." Titleist VP of Golf Ball Marketing Michael Mahoney

http://www.golf.com/equipment/2018/01/22/titleist-tour-soft-velocity-golf-balls-2018-first-look

Oops. My bad. But that is quite the quote...