2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

Here's some pictures and videos from my 2 trips to the seaside last weekend, firstly at Seaford Head golf club and secondly littlestone. Shot -1 at Seaford and holed pretty much nothing, greens were pretty bad. Missed 2 greens all day and they were both pitches from nearly being greenside off the tee, doh!

https://www.instagra...by=davedunlop87

The tee shot from the 18th at Seaford is just glorious:

38053562802_6ca9f39505_b.jpg

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

thanks

Just an observation but you really pick the driver up so steeply on the backswing- is that a deliberate swing thought/movement ala Darren Clarke

nothing deliberate at all, I've always had an early set but this again is another bad habit I get into of being too handsy in the takeaway. Part of the punisher drill I do is taking it away a bit more one piece and connected, so hopefully that will improve

• 2 weeks later...

Got through the first round of qualifying for the Hinge Trophy down at Littlestone last week. Was going along nicely at -2 front 9 then lost a drive on 10 which we thought was absolutely fine, made triple, silly bogey on the next due to being rattled but then knuckled down and finished off the round solidly. Drove the ball well again didn't hit my irons that great (again) which is concerning.

Before my practice round at Littlestone the week before I changed my putter grip slightly, I went to a grip that's a sort of a semi arm lock type grip, hands slightly separated and 10 finger grip with the fingers off the right hand wrapped around the grip touching the left forearm. Will try and get a picture up. Really makes things solid and it makes putting feel super easy, all I have to feel is how hard I want to hit the putt with my right hand, don't have to worry about stroke at all, just all right hand. This felt most comfortable with the odyssey protype. My speed control and lag putting the 2 rounds since has been the best in a long long time.

Got through the first round of qualifying for the Hinge Trophy down at Littlestone last week. Was going along nicely at -2 front 9 then lost a drive on 10 which we thought was absolutely fine, made triple, silly bogey on the next due to being rattled but then knuckled down and finished off the round solidly. Drove the ball well again didn't hit my irons that great (again) which is concerning.

Before my practice round at Littlestone the week before I changed my putter grip slightly, I went to a grip that's a sort of a semi arm lock type grip, hands slightly separated and 10 finger grip with the fingers off the right hand wrapped around the grip touching the left forearm. Will try and get a picture up. Really makes things solid and it makes putting feel super easy, all I have to feel is how hard I want to hit the putt with my right hand, don't have to worry about stroke at all, just all right hand. This felt most comfortable with the odyssey protype. My speed control and lag putting the 2 rounds since has been the best in a long long time.

Littlestone is a nice links course , played it a few years ago . Would love to live in that house that’s on the sea edge on about the 16th hole

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Littlestone is a nice links course , played it a few years ago . Would love to live in that house that’s on the sea edge on about the 16th hole

Yeah lovely place by the 16th green/17th tee. think it's been turned into a b&b now.

With lack of playing time in recent months my swing had reverted to horrible excessive tilt and flick. Have been hitting driver great but everything else not so. So back to basics working on rotation, using a drill where you take it back to club parallel with no wrist set and then just pivot to hit the ball, you have to pivot well to get shaft lean and get any distance on the shot, if I tilt too much I hit it fat and left. Was pleased with the changes in a small period of time, certainly rotation is much better at impact and definitely post impact, head is releasing a lot earlier with better rotation, still need more rotation earlier in the swing.

Admittedly this is a screenshot from doing the drill but the position it gets me into is what im striving for:

37863933944_75471d97eb_b.jpg

And this from a full swing afterwards, much better rotation in hips and chest and better extension, less tilt too:

37692358935_b382048a37_k.jpg

My speed was above tour average with an 8 iron, being 89 mph, but my launch angle with an 8 iron was averaging 22*, compared to tour averages that is inbetween there 9i and PW. afterwards it was down to around 18* which is the tour average, so as a result I should start hitting it better and further. Which is always nice

• 1 month later...

Have only played twice I think since my last post, lots of bad weather and Christmas haven't helped. Have practiced once a week though, still working on rotation. Videoing a few swings showed improved rotation and lower dynamic loft, less back out with the upper body but still some late on. Still not getting as open as I could be and weight is staying fairly central in the left foot, so working on getting pressure into the left heel earlier which gets the left leg straighter rather than bent towards target like it was.

Ball flight certainly straighter than it was 6 weeks ago.

From this:

27692977849_0e77f4d090_h.jpg

To more like this:

38591492935_d08f96a72b_h.jpg

Sorry for bad quality as took the picture of the screen I recorded it on at my mates driving range.

Feels like I've got more room to swing and as if I'm swinging left more without thinking about it. Here's a video and impact still from a round at Princes' golf club yesterday, certainly looking more open than before:

24603438327_d1b57b2583_h.jpg

Still absolutely loving the M2 driver, I've never been so consistently in the fairway, very little shape to the shots too, love it. Does get me thinking I should get fit for some irons and see what new technology can help with those.

Can you expand on this drill? You said "you take it back to club parallel with no wrist set and then just pivot to hit the ball"

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Can you expand on this drill? You said "you take it back to club parallel with no wrist set and then just pivot to hit the ball"

Yeah sorry my explanation probably wasn't great, will try and film a video to show it better, but basically take it back to p2 with very little wrist set, pause, then hit the ball.

P2-1024x768.jpg

In order to compress it and hit an 8 iron over a hundred yards with this length backswing you really need to pivot well to create the necessary impact to do this. Hope that makes sense?

Doing the drill, if I don't pivot well, which for me happens if I don't rotate and tilt too much, I hit it fat and it goes short and left. If I pivot well its a very compressed strike and goes a good distance.

Yeah sorry my explanation probably wasn't great, will try and film a video to show it better, but basically take it back to p2 with very little wrist set, pause, then hit the ball.

P2-1024x768.jpg

In order to compress it and hit an 8 iron over a hundred yards with this length backswing you really need to pivot well to create the necessary impact to do this. Hope that makes sense?

Doing the drill, if I don't pivot well, which for me happens if I don't rotate and tilt too much, I hit it fat and it goes short and left. If I pivot well its a very compressed strike and goes a good distance.

This is my next step fella have been working on my backswing with instructor but from videos I have a pivot stall with my arms and hands coming through and then I rotate after impact. He has mentioned it so I could do with getting a heads up. Do you feel your hands do nothing and you rotate left as soon as th3 backswing has finished

P2-1024x768.jpg

This is my next step fella have been working on my backswing with instructor but from videos I have a pivot stall with my arms and hands coming through and then I rotate after impact. He has mentioned it so I could do with getting a heads up. Do you feel your hands do nothing and you rotate left as soon as th3 backswing has finished

Yes my downswing feels as if the arms are along for the ride. Currently my downswing thought/feel is that I just rotate towards the left heel. When I'm working on mechanics I make a very conscious move with lower body to get pressure into my left heel as soon as I can in the downswing. I rehearse this move in practice swings which brings the club down to around p6, then rotate everything through

hope that helps? any more questions feel free to fire away :)

P2-1024x768.jpg

Yes my downswing feels as if the arms are along for the ride. Currently my downswing thought/feel is that I just rotate towards the left heel. When I'm working on mechanics I make a very conscious move with lower body to get pressure into my left heel as soon as I can in the downswing. I rehearse this move in practice swings which brings the club down to around p6, then rotate everything through

Cheers mate just tried it on the range before I read your post will try that left heel feel

P2-1024x768.jpg

A few things I’ve noticed just hitting half sand wedges into a net if you don’t mind comparing feels which I know can be different from person to person

I hit the ball better if I feel my hands and arms do nothing whatsoever if I feel i swing with them I tend to hit it thin

My right shoulder and club head feel like they work in unison squaring the club and feel like they work on top of the ball.

Doing slow motion and stopping at impact the weight is left heel, left leg straight, left hip very open, shoulders about 30 open, path from the inside but less than normal and here’s the thing that is hugely different my hands are a good 3 inches further forward than set up and the loft appears to be more in line with a 9 iron. No track man but just kept the sw in place and compared it with pw and 9 iron)

Is this too much shaft lean?

Great drill, Dave. GG calls them "no-throws," where the right arm is about 120*, and you just rotate to the finish.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Great drill, Dave. GG calls them "no-throws," where the right arm is about 120*, and you just rotate to the finish.

https://www.instagra.../p/BIqs7U_hauP/

yeah similar but I'd argue that with having wrist c*ck you can still compress the ball without pivoting great, with no wrist c0ck (or very minimal) you are forced to pivot well in order to compress it?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cma9hvLFLYsl

This is what I’m trying to do side bend from the top but if I swing my arms I feel like I’m going to hit behind the ball and stand up and thin it. With what feels like no arm movement I run into the ball nicely. Logical answer would be don’t swing the arms but how do you generate speed?

P2-1024x768.jpg

Cheers mate just tried it on the range before I read your post will try that left heel feel

here's video from my practice session Saturday where I do the drill I mentioned at the start of each video.

hope that clears things up?

Certainly getting into the left heel Dave!

thanks, happy with how the downswing rotation is getting there. The tilt I have is possibly why I'm driving the ball so well, but feel I could maybe get more consistency with the irons from having less.

here's video from my practice session Saturday where I do the drill I mentioned at the start of each video.

[media=]

[/media]

0:29 mark of the first vid =D

In all seriousness, thanks for reminding me of this drill.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

Nice drills mate, tried it on the range 9 to 7 iron was quite impressed with how straight and far they went after I realised I had to rotate like my life depended on it. Do you do it with all clubs including the driver?

I generally do the drill with an 8 or 9 iron but do occasionally with a 6 iron. quite often when hitting driver or 3 wood, i'll do one drill swing with a 8/9i between each full swing.

[media=]

[/media]

0:29 mark of the first vid =D

In all seriousness, thanks for reminding me of this drill.

haha yeah I noticed that, no worries glad I can help. so easy over time to forget little easy things that can help with the swing

• 4 weeks later...

I've joined the darkside...

$_57.GIF?set_id=8800005007

• 3 weeks later...

Experimenting with some pinstriping

40269895412_9f1363ff88_k.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Noob question but lots of talk about compression in this thread, is compression and smash factor the same thing?

If not, how is compression defined and how do you measure it?

I guess the only way you can measure it is by a launch monitor that measures smash factor?

when I talk about compression I mean a lower dynamic loft at impact.