Miura 1957 Small Blade/Baby Blade enthusiasts thread! (Lots of enabling and physics lessons inside)

PopIt&DropIt

I say game the Baby Blades as the game is predicated on missed shots anyways.

It's about your recoveries.

Game the Babies!!

TM Tour Issue M6 10.5 GD ADDI 7S
TM The One 13.5 GD Accra TZ
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow 85 S
Onoff 2011 4-Pw Roddio Pentacross I-10 SX flex
Wilson Staff Forged 52, 56 & 60  & Miura KM-350 putter

I should have known I was only going to get BB enabler answers in the JDM forum ;) Haha thanks for the input gents. That's where my heart is even if I do have some fear standing in my way. You both make solid points and I do honestly fear you are giving up some level of ball control leaving the BBs. Again I can't really put it into words but there is just something different about using that club head vs others. I greatly appreciate the feedback, thank you.

Looking forward to seeing if we get any differing opinions.

Having owned smaller blades and larger blades; the smaller heads are easier to get down on the ball and pick clean without that backboard drag. If you're playing them well, then stick to playing them.

But I would also buy the tournament blades as well as the MB001's. I would also buy the Cobras and Bridgestones as well. And get a set made by BB&F. As well as the Miuraism SB-01 :). Your goal should be to own all the MB's at once so you know when you have found your best.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Having owned smaller blades and larger blades; the smaller heads are easier to get down on the ball and pick clean without that backboard drag. If you're playing them well, then stick to playing them.

But I would also buy the tournament blades as well as the MB001's. I would also buy the Cobras and Bridgestones as well. And get a set made by BB&F. As well as the Miuraism SB-01 :). Your goal should be to own all the MB's at once so you know when you have found your best.

It's really hard to argue this point. While you're at it, send me a set of each and I'll let you know my thoughts as well. LOL

I haven't owned the MB001's but I did own the TBs. The 1957 is a much better option.

• Like 1

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

Are your misses with the Baby Blades going to be that much different with other irons? I play a set of Yururi Flat Back's and while they're not nearly as compact or demanding as the baby blade, it's still a blade iron. My misses are pulls and pushes, directional mainly. Are you missing the sweet spot? If you're not flushing it then I'd play something else, but if you're hitting it on the sweet spot I don't see a reason to change.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

DUDE ......

I'm not even reading your post! .... STOP! THINKING!!!

We solved this problem already!

Haha well I certainly don't blame you for not reading and I can't disagree with the stop thinking advice. But it's a bit of a different issue in my eyes. Having a long iron replacement incase I decide the BB long irons are holding me back vs having a back up/contingency set for if I decide the BBs as a whole don't make sense to compete with. But your advice is solid, I know I'm overthinking and need to just get out there and play with the BBs.

• Like 1

The only ridiculous part of this post is getting TB and 001s ;) The rest is legit and what I would do if funds were unlimited. I want all the blades! Oh and as I understand it sb-01s are basically baby blades, but Sb-02s on the other hand are something to talk about. A slightly bigger baby blade, right? But at that price tag I would just go straight to BB&F.

It's really hard to argue this point. While you're at it, send me a set of each and I'll let you know my thoughts as well. LOL

I haven't owned the MB001's but I did own the TBs. The 1957 is a much better option.

I'm glad you posted as I've read your BB threads many times. I have a hard time understanding how the difference between TB and BB could be so defined. At the same time, even though I'm new to the BBs I'm starting to get a sense that bigger will not necessarily equal better here. Much of what makes the BB so great is in the playability that size offers and a bigger version of a similar design (what I understand the TBs to be) could take away all of the BB benefits without reducing it's downsides. Again probably just comes down to me using them more and making a decision based on experience. I can tell you for certain I really want the answer to be play BBs forever and never think about irons again. Thanks for the insight you have shared thus far!

Are your misses with the Baby Blades going to be that much different with other irons? I play a set of Yururi Flat Back's and while they're not nearly as compact or demanding as the baby blade, it's still a blade iron. My misses are pulls and pushes, directional mainly. Are you missing the sweet spot? If you're not flushing it then I'd play something else, but if you're hitting it on the sweet spot I don't see a reason to change.

Honestly if I didn't experience it I would be skeptical just like you but yea I'm experiencing some different misses vs more modern day blades. A shot I've hit a few times is where I'm trying to play a soft draw and miss it very fractionally in the heel. As it does with all clubs the shot feels and sounds very solid. Can hardly tell it's a miss with a non BB. As is the usual it takes off a couple yards right with good flight. Normally it hangs there and catches the right side of the green or draws back a touch. Not enough to get it on target but it's a small miss. With the BB I've done the exact same with the same feel and start line, but the ball would drift 1-3 yards right. Had to do a serious double take when I saw it happen as I've hit that same shot countless times and it never fades. This could easily have to do with the lack of offset or some other factors that take getting used to. But it is the difference between hitting the green and missing the green each time it's happened. On the flip side there have been countless shots, especially with longer irons where I expected the miss to be a lot worse and I actually maintained directional integrity and just lost a couple yards. Straighter and longer than misses with other blades. But yea there is a difference and although I read a lot of people say the same on here I didn't really believe it or understand it until getting the BBs on the course.

Knowing you’re situation, I’m hesitant to say anything. But I’ll say two things anyway :):

1) There are a lot of things that make the BB special in my mind, but distance control is number one. I can only imagine how I’d appreciate that if I was any good. :D

2) I can send you an MB001 6i Head to mess around with a bit if that’ll help. Incidentally, I have the Cobras and had the J15. The Cobras are similar in size to the MB001 and only a bit bigger than the BB.

Haha. Ok, I'll bite. I owned baby blades last year (and shot my career round with them). Then lost the ability to find their sweet spot (slightly toward heel) and had poor round after round. I tried and tried because when they were on, they were excellent. But when my swing gets too loose, they are not friendly.

So the question is, how's your swing under pressure of competition? If it's the same as normal, play the BB.

For me, my swing is about as good as it's ever been. I have decided that to score, I am playing shovels. I play to a 7 and smell a 4 out there on the horizon. But for me, to score, I am probably getting AP1s. Big a** blades, strong loft. I know my swing well enough to know, when I'm honest with myself, I can use all the help I can get.

But I've also decided I want a set of tournament blades. The baby's are just too small for my visual comfort zone. But I really like having a set of eloquent blades just for the aesthetic pleasure of playing them. And a set of Titleist CB's when I want to pretend I'm a golfing stud.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I played the TBs for several years and loved them. I wanted to play the BB...but just had a fear of being in a tournament and having a tricky side hill/downhill lie and looking down at a BB 4 iron and just not seeing enough steel to make good contact.

There was a thread on here a few years ago that was a brilliant explanation of how the BBs aren’t really that much smaller than the TB. But...those BB long irons are small.

I used to be able to play a little bit....but my best golf is 20 years behind me. Put me on a flat lie on a driving range and hand me a B.B. and there is no better feeling than flushing it with standard easy driving range swings....get me on the course and being in a position of needing to coax and extra 10 yards out of a long iron....I’m sure a fiasco would ensue.

I switched to the 57 CB...I get it’s not for you and understand your philosophy. Much of what you said was my opinion when I was younger, stronger, more flexible and better....(my golf ego was a lot bigger back then - I’ve been humbled by time)

My humble advice...make up a set of 001s or TBs and play a few tournaments. Hell, do it for two or three months and track your iron play while under tournament pressure. Your answer will be a lot more clear.

Oh, back in the 80s l knew a guys that played Apex II irons until tournament time...he then broke out Ping Eye 2 in the long irons (And the Lob wedge) - it worked for him. I should also note that he had to do drugs to keep from having a nervous breakdown from tournament pressure...he could play though.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Um......?, is this a serious post??

You have the best, don’t be afraid to to dance with the Beauty Queen. There are no points given for asking the ugly girls to dance.

Well I recognize it as a bit ridiculous as is attempting to get advice on such a personal situation on the internet. At the same time I am having a difficult time figuring out what is best for me and there are a lot of people here who have been through similar situations adjusting their equipment strategy to wanting to include BBs in their bag. So I thought I talking it out might help, and it has :)

Haha. Ok, I'll bite. I owned baby blades last year (and shot my career round with them). Then lost the ability to find their sweet spot (slightly toward heel) and had poor round after round. I tried and tried because when they were on, they were excellent. But when my swing gets too loose, they are not friendly.

So the question is, how's your swing under pressure of competition? If it's the same as normal, play the BB.

For me, my swing is about as good as it's ever been. I have decided that to score, I am playing shovels. I play to a 7 and smell a 4 out there on the horizon. But for me, to score, I am probably getting AP1s. Big a** blades, strong loft. I know my swing well enough to know, when I'm honest with myself, I can use all the help I can get.

But I've also decided I want a set of tournament blades. The baby's are just too small for my visual comfort zone. But I really like having a set of eloquent blades just for the aesthetic pleasure of playing them. And a set of Titleist CB's when I want to pretend I'm a golfing stud.

I appreciate you playing along :) Answering your question highlights the real issue here. I've overhauled my swing quite a bit the past year. I'm swinging the best I ever have by a wide margin and honestly have no clue what to expect under pressure with BBs. Something only time and experience will help me figure out. I'm definitely not opposed to playing something with more help if I decide that would be best for me and my long term goals.

I played the TBs for several years and loved them. I wanted to play the BB...but just had a fear of being in a tournament and having a tricky side hill/downhill lie and looking down at a BB 4 iron and just not seeing enough steel to make good contact.

There was a thread on here a few years ago that was a brilliant explanation of how the BBs aren’t really that much smaller than the TB. But...those BB long irons are small.

I used to be able to play a little bit....but my best golf is 20 years behind me. Put me on a flat lie on a driving range and hand me a B.B. and there is no better feeling than flushing it with standard easy driving range swings....get me on the course and being in a position of needing to coax and extra 10 yards out of a long iron....I’m sure a fiasco would ensue.

I switched to the 57 CB...I get it’s not for you and understand your philosophy. Much of what you said was my opinion when I was younger, stronger, more flexible and better....(my golf ego was a lot bigger back then - I’ve been humbled by time)

My humble advice...make up a set of 001s or TBs and play a few tournaments. Hell, do it for two or three months and track your iron play while under tournament pressure. Your answer will be a lot more clear.

Oh, back in the 80s l knew a guys that played Apex II irons until tournament time...he then broke out Ping Eye 2 in the long irons (And the Lob wedge) - it worked for him. I should also note that he had to do drugs to keep from having a nervous breakdown from tournament pressure...he could play though.

You make some very fair points, thank you. The CB 57s are my current long iron replacement options and the only full cavity set I'm considering as my gamer set if I decide the BBs are hurting more than helping. I know it sounds ridiculous but I never expected to consider BBs a legitimate set to compete with so I never expected this to be an issue at all. That is the main reason I started this thread so confused! I like the guy you knew throwing in some ping long irons to Hogan set come tournament time. I'm planning a similar option that I'll share in my next post.

Well everyone I appreciate you taking the time! Even though it's all done in a bit of jest I definitely started this thread very confused and feel a bit better about my plan moving forward thanks to talking a few of the points out as well as deservedly getting made fun of.

My plan moving forward is to keep working with the BBs with a couple back up plans in place. First I'm going to decide which I feel is the better long iron replacement between the CB 57 and the Hogan Ft Worth Hi. That's just going to take time practicing and playing with both and figuring it out. The 57 blends with the set better but the ft worth hi is a serious performer for me. I intend to get the 4 iron in whichever I decide (have a 3 in both) and always have those options to throw in if I want to play BBs but want help with the long irons. Similar to the guy in the story above who played ping long irons with his Hogan's come tournament time.

My second back up options that will also include some inexpensive hoing of a set I've wanted for a while. I have a good friend who deals cobra and saves me a lot of money so I'm going to get a set of the king MBs with a CB 3 and 4. If they never make it into the bag I'll have a cool set that I like and wanted to collect on some level and if I decide the BBs aren't competition appropriate I have a great option ready to take over.

So I'm moving forward with BB 3-pw and I may at any point play as 4-pw or 5-pw and going to see how that goes. Going to give that some honest testing and see what I think is best. And I have a solid back up if that doesn't work out.

Thanks again to everyone who posted and nudged me in the right direction!

I currently game a second set of BBs. I think they're great, and its extremely easy to narrow in on the sweet spot.

I've mentioned before that I haven't even adjusted the lie angles, they just want to go straight. My previous ones where 3* flat.

I think they're so well balanced that they just want to go straight, which suits my game as I don't ever try to shape the ball, aside from high to low.

If you're not using the full loft and are more of a dragger type guy I'm not sure you'll love them as much.

• Like 1

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

Sim2 Ti 3w

TM Rescue 16

MP20 HMB 4/3

MP20 MB 5-P Modus 120x

T22 52.09S T22 56.14S T24 59.11V

Oworks 7s

if u play blades then make sure the head style is the one that suits u eye the best not just the name and ,especially in the 8-9-pw

theres a HUGE difference .

these snaps makes it easy to see. I thought liked the miura the best certainly the feel of them is unique, but I found the shape of the honmas to be more suited amd hence I became more confident with them over time.........

I realsied I prefer rounded shapes more. the square shaped heads are easier to hit dead straight , but the beauty of mbs is their abilty it work the ball, for me that equates to the more rounded shape.

owari !

I'm glad you posted as I've read your BB threads many times. I have a hard time understanding how the difference between TB and BB could be so defined. At the same time, even though I'm new to the BBs I'm starting to get a sense that bigger will not necessarily equal better here. Much of what makes the BB so great is in the playability that size offers and a bigger version of a similar design (what I understand the TBs to be) could take away all of the BB benefits without reducing it's downsides. Again probably just comes down to me using them more and making a decision based on experience. I can tell you for certain I really want the answer to be play BBs forever and never think about irons again. Thanks for the insight you have shared thus far!

No problem. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I've had the baby blades in the bag for quite a while and have compared them to a lot of different irons over the years. Occasionally another iron has even ended up in the bag but, in the end, the baby blades always work their way back into their rightful place.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x

^^^ Thanks Rebby. I think I have my neurosis for this subject under better control but that could still swing the other way and I may need to ask you some further questions ;)

The real issue and the reason for this thread is I unexpectedly fell in love with baby blades at a pretty inopportune time and I'm scared to commit to playing them in tournaments before putting them though their paces which is difficult in the winter. Normally not a big deal but they kind of destroyed my ability to look at my gamers anymore so going back to them feels like less of an option I was playing the Hogan Ft Worth 15s and while I know they don't have the greatest rep around here I think they perform really well. Very very forgiving for a blade and the v sole is solid. Honestly from a performance perspective I have no reason to change and it might even be a bad idea. I hit them that well. The issue is they have always looked a little big overall and a lot thick at the top line. In reality they are a players cavity and while a pretty one, just not my cup of tea. If I didnt win a tournament with them my 2nd day owning them and get my longest hole in one ever shortly after that I doubt they would have stuck around but they just kept giving me results.

Enter in the BBs (which I really bought to make practice harder) and going back to the Hogan's seems impossible. Like I said they were already a little big and thick for my eye and now they look SGI. So I really just wanted to figure out a back up option that would transition better to and from the BBs than my Hogan's so I could move forward with the BBs and not be stressed about the "what if" they don't work for me in competition. I know nothing will compare to the BB directly but if I could have something that isn't a shock to look at after playing BBs and performs well enough (like most well made irons do these days) it would give me peace of mind. BBs are in the bag now and moving forward and I hope it stays that way :)

^^^ Thanks Rebby. I think I have my neurosis for this subject under better control but that could still swing the other way and I may need to ask you some further questions ;)

The real issue and the reason for this thread is I unexpectedly fell in love with baby blades at a pretty inopportune time and I'm scared to commit to playing them in tournaments before putting them though their paces which is difficult in the winter. Normally not a big deal but they kind of destroyed my ability to look at my gamers anymore so going back to them feels like less of an option I was playing the Hogan Ft Worth 15s and while I know they don't have the greatest rep around here I think they perform really well. Very very forgiving for a blade and the v sole is solid. Honestly from a performance perspective I have no reason to change and it might even be a bad idea. I hit them that well. The issue is they have always looked a little big overall and a lot thick at the top line. In reality they are a players cavity and while a pretty one, just not my cup of tea. If I didnt win a tournament with them my 2nd day owning them and get my longest hole in one ever shortly after that I doubt they would have stuck around but they just kept giving me results.

Enter in the BBs (which I really bought to make practice harder) and going back to the Hogan's seems impossible. Like I said they were already a little big and thick for my eye and now they look SGI. So I really just wanted to figure out a back up option that would transition better to and from the BBs than my Hogan's so I could move forward with the BBs and not be stressed about the "what if" they don't work for me in competition. I know nothing will compare to the BB directly but if I could have something that isn't a shock to look at after playing BBs and performs well enough (like most well made irons do these days) it would give me peace of mind. BBs are in the bag now and moving forward and I hope it stays that way :)

I've hit a LOT of clubs over the past few years trying to figure out what I'm going to do when I finally have to retire my baby blades. My black ones are on their 3rd refinish and I'm starting to hit knuckleballs with a few of them (especially the 7-iron). Pretty much any lie with any amount of grass between the ball and the club has become a flier lie. I played my chrome baby blades for the majority of the season last year and they're not doing much better. I chalk it up to how long I've had both sets (bought them at the same time) and the number of balls that I hit on a sandy range. These tools are wear items as much as I hate to admit it. Considering, the number of range balls that I hit though, they've performed very well.

I know what you mean when you say that everything else looks GI/SGI in comparison and that's been my biggest hurdle in finding the next set. I've strongly considered ordering one of the last remaining sets and sticking with them (might just end up doing that in the end, we'll see). I play Hogan TK wedges (I have a 48, 52, 53, 57x2, 58, & 62) at the moment as well, and the look is nothing like the baby blades as you move through the set. The few times that I've hit the Hogan Ft Worth though, I have liked them (I ABHOR the laser engraved iron "numbers" though, deal breaker for me). The V-Sole is fantastic. The V-Sole alone convinced me to try out a combo set of Srixon 765/965 last season. I hit them a mile though, super high launch and driver like spin. They held greens due to the height alone but my iron game no longer had the precision that I was used to w/the baby blades so they didn't last long. I swapped them out for a set of JPX 900 Tours and had a similar experience with them (thank goodness for the BST).

Since my experiences attempting to move into more of a "players cavity" or "forgiving blade" was such an abysmal failure, I've since abandoned that idea and been on the lookout for something as close to the baby blade as I could find. This is the year for blades too, so it's been fun. I started with a set of tour-only Callaway MBs with a raw finish that belonged to a web.com Tour player who I practice with over the summer. His clubs were set up very similarly to what I'd play so it was easy to do an apples to apples comparison with the Trackman. These are a great club with a fantastic look. If you can score a set of them in raw, they're well worth it. Great feel, nice compact head too. Solid alternative to the baby blade. I gave the retail version a look right after they first came out and (IMHO), Callaway destroyed these when they applied the chrome. Still a decent club but nowhere near as nice as the raw finish. The biggest downside here is when you strip off the chrome, you're going to lose weight and incur even more expense. Been there, done that, not interested in doing it again. Not right off the shelf anyway.

I gave the MP-18 line a really close look too. Great Mizuno feel here but, next to some of the other options, they are a chunky looking blade. I could make them work but due to the look alone, they're not my first choice. I do like the straight muscle design better than the Callaway designs though (and WAY more than the 965).

Titleist knocked the look out of the park w/their new 718s. They blend well with the CB option as well. They still have that distinctive Titleist feel though. After playing the baby blades for so long, I'm just not a fan of that click. Like the MP-18, I could adjust but do I have to? Again, despise the mirror like chrome finish but, let's be honest, there isn't any getting away from that (not even with my baby blades).

It still feels strange for me to say/type this but TaylorMade really knocked it out of the park w/the p730. Side by side w/the baby blade the only notable difference between the two clubs is that the p730 has a slightly more rounded toe. It's not obscene like some others though, very subtle. I ended up grabbing a set of these about a month ago. I'm still dialing in the shaft that I want to play and adjusting the loft/lies to my liking but, so far, these look like a fantastic alternative. Again, not crazy about the chrome but the finish on these isn't as "in your face" as some of the others. The milling on the face helps dull things a bit as well. These would look phenomenal in black oxide, if they survive for the long haul, I'll very likely refinish them at some point. It's really hard to say much about feel since I'm limited to hitting indoors at this point but, thus far, I don't have any complaints.

All that said, I still love my baby blades and won't be surprised if I find a way to keep them in the bag. They've been there for so long though that I don't mind mixing it up a little either. My bag will contain either the baby blades or the p730s next season. I've already decided to start the year w/the p730s, I guess we'll see if they can manage to stick around...

Rebby that was an amazingly helpful post! Thank you very much! To quickly get it out of the way I just wanted to say those laser engravings on the hosel buff out pretty easily. Definite deal breaker for me too and I can't imagine how they let those out of the door with that. Definitely was not thought through very well. That's very interesting to me that you play TK wedges. I like them (not sure I love them but I do like them a lot) and they don't bother me at all going back and forth between the BBs so I'm probably going to keep using them for now. They are almost a little too solid/hot for delicate shots but I love every other aspect of them.

I'm a little sad to hear about the baby blades being on their way out but like you said in the end they are wear items. I grabbed two sets and figured if I can get one refinish out of each they will last me for a few years as I practice a lot. One thing I do is practice most with my long irons (making practice harder thing plus a couple other reasons) and have an extra bb 3 iron. If I ultimately decide to use a 3 iron replacement then I have a couple of extra three irons. So for range time that should extend their lives quite a bit. Was actually thinking of asking kaaayelll for an extra pw head because I've become very fond of using it for actual pitching and chipping and would like to practice with it a lot also.

Thanks for sharing all of your iron research! It's funny you settled on the 730s. I quit golf for 7 years and when I came back last year I grabbed a set of 14 TP MBs to hold me over because I could get them for cheap and I had no idea what the market was like or what I really wanted at the time. Wow they impressed me. If I didn't wear them out quicker than expected they would be my back up now and I've considered just getting another set. I even considered a less than cost effective approach of sending them to the iron factory for refinishing. The main reason this is tempting is for $20 a head he will weld out the badging for you and you can have a totally blank iron head. That is my ideal look. I still might do it at some point but I'm intrigued to look at the 730s now. I've had quite a few bad experiences with TM QC so I don't look at their stuff too closely anymore but I will. A lot of guys are playing them so there might be something there!

I still have my eyes on the cobra MBs and I still have a set of Hogan's that I know very well and I hit great. So throw the 730s into the mix and I'll have to get something figured out by April. Part of me wants to just not care how clubs look anymore, keep the Hogan's, and be done with the subject :) Man they just look so different though!