Things to do while waiting for Bandon

 Edaw68 ·  
Edaw68Edaw68 Members  1634WRX Points: 262Handicap: 5Posts: 1,634 Platinum Tees
Joined:  in Northwest #1
Just over two months until my annual Bandon trip, and I've got the itch, especially since there's no golf in my area due to snow. What do you guys do to occupy the wait time? So far I've:



-reread a bunch of old Bandon threads on GolfWRX.

-rearranged/redone my golf bag load out in preparation for a ton of walking.

-browsed and spent too much money on golf crap online.



Thinking about reading Dream Golf again.
Posted:
«13456789
9

Comments

  • Matt JMatt J Members  8735WRX Points: 340Posts: 8,735 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #2
    Hit the tread mill?



    Snowshoe, XC ski, or otherwise get some exercise?



    Indoor practice facility?



    Putt on the carpet?



    Can't go wrong rereading Dream Golf, great book.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SbrooksSbrooks Members  703WRX Points: 35Posts: 703 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #3
    Golf is not a game of perfect is my

    Favourite
    Posted:
  • ryu123ryu123 Members  532WRX Points: 83Posts: 532 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #4
    one thing NOT to do is check the weather.



    The forecasts are generally useless. I used to begin checking weather 7 days before the trips, & drove myself absolutely crazy.



    Even 24 hours out, the meteorologists really don't know what will happen.
    Posted:
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1838WRX Points: 427Posts: 1,838 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #5
    Here's how I'll be passing the time until February:



    1. Re-read every post on WRX that contains the word 'Bandon.'

    2. Re-read 'Dream Golf' (twice).

    3. Clean and polish everything that is even remotely golf-related (including vehicle tires), even though I'll play several rounds between now and then.

    4. Completely unload and re-load both golf bags (cart and carry). Spend at least one full week internally debating the club arrangement and which pocket the Sharpie will go into. Which reminds me: I need to pick up at least three more Sharpies, as four is probably not enough.

    5. Buy more rangefinder batteries. 5 or 6 should cover any eventualities.

    6. Sharpen every scoring pencil, even though I will grab at least a dozen more when I get to the first tee on each course.

    7. Count and evenly distribute the tees in each bag, even though I will grab at least a dozen more when I get to the first tee on each course.

    8. Run through the hole-by-hole descriptions on the website, comparing each with my course guides, which have some handwritten notes.

    9. Compare each photo of each hole with the ones I've taken on my trips and decide if I should get a better photo of that hole. Build an Excel spreadsheet to keep track.

    10. Review the strategy for each hole, even though the likelihood is that my tee shot will end up in a place I have never considered possible.

    11. Refine the packing list (daily) in order to possibly avoid the need to rent a 32' Uhaul truck for the 4-day trip.

    12. During daylight hours, check the webcams for each of the courses, and write-up a swing analysis for each of the players teeing off. Build an Excel spreadsheet for these and forward to Grant Rogers (daily).

    13. Try to avoid checking the weather forecast.

    14. When I check the weather forecast, imagine what ZR/layering I would be wearing if I were playing today.

    15. Decide which restaurant onsite I'll be visiting for each meal, examine the menus and make my meal choices. Build an Excel spreadsheet to keep track, making special notes on which salad dressing and how many pads of butter will be needed.

    16. Try to avoid talking to anyone outside of WRX about the trip, as they've all heard it a million times, and are already beginning to think that I'm way too obsessed about the place, which is clearly an exaggeration.



    Fill in the spare hours playing the par three holes (badly) on the Bandon website.
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • The PearlThe Pearl Members  2011WRX Points: 159Posts: 2,011 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #6
    Spud,



    That is the greatest single post in the history of this board. 12 and 15 nearly made me pee myself.





    Prior to my first trip, I meticulously tracked out the walking distances for each course on Google earthed and put each course on the spread sheet to calculate my walking distance each day. I am not sue how accurate it turned out to be..
    Posted:
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members  1634WRX Points: 262Handicap: 5Posts: 1,634 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #7
    spud3 wrote:
    Here's how I'll be passing the time until February:



    1. Re-read every post on WRX that contains the word 'Bandon.'

    2. Re-read 'Dream Golf' (twice).

    3. Clean and polish everything that is even remotely golf-related (including vehicle tires), even though I'll play several rounds between now and then.

    4. Completely unload and re-load both golf bags (cart and carry). Spend at least one full week internally debating the club arrangement and which pocket the Sharpie will go into. Which reminds me: I need to pick up at least three more Sharpies, as four is probably not enough.

    5. Buy more rangefinder batteries. 5 or 6 should cover any eventualities.

    6. Sharpen every scoring pencil, even though I will grab at least a dozen more when I get to the first tee on each course.

    7. Count and evenly distribute the tees in each bag, even though I will grab at least a dozen more when I get to the first tee on each course.

    8. Run through the hole-by-hole descriptions on the website, comparing each with my course guides, which have some handwritten notes.

    9. Compare each photo of each hole with the ones I've taken on my trips and decide if I should get a better photo of that hole. Build an Excel spreadsheet to keep track.

    10. Review the strategy for each hole, even though the likelihood is that my tee shot will end up in a place I have never considered possible.

    11. Refine the packing list (daily) in order to possibly avoid the need to rent a 32' Uhaul truck for the 4-day trip.

    12. During daylight hours, check the webcams for each of the courses, and write-up a swing analysis for each of the players teeing off. Build an Excel spreadsheet for these and forward to Grant Rogers (daily).

    13. Try to avoid checking the weather forecast.

    14. When I check the weather forecast, imagine what ZR/layering I would be wearing if I were playing today.

    15. Decide which restaurant onsite I'll be visiting for each meal, examine the menus and make my meal choices. Build an Excel spreadsheet to keep track, making special notes on which salad dressing and how many pads of butter will be needed.

    16. Try to avoid talking to anyone outside of WRX about the trip, as they've all heard it a million times, and are already beginning to think that I'm way too obsessed about the place, which is clearly an exaggeration.



    Fill in the spare hours playing the par three holes (badly) on the Bandon website.




    I should take a class on Excel.

    The Pearl wrote:
    Spud,



    That is the greatest single post in the history of this board. 12 and 15 nearly made me pee myself.





    Prior to my first trip, I meticulously tracked out the walking distances for each course on Google earthed and put each course on the spread sheet to calculate my walking distance each day. I am not sue how accurate it turned out to be..




    Note to self: purchase Fitbit.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MrMileHighMrMileHigh Members  146WRX Points: 72Posts: 146 Fairways
    Joined:  #8
    spud3 wrote:


    Here's how I'll be passing the time until February:



    1. Re-read every post on WRX that contains the word 'Bandon.'

    2. Re-read 'Dream Golf' (twice).

    3. Clean and polish everything that is even remotely golf-related (including vehicle tires), even though I'll play several rounds between now and then.

    4. Completely unload and re-load both golf bags (cart and carry). Spend at least one full week internally debating the club arrangement and which pocket the Sharpie will go into. Which reminds me: I need to pick up at least three more Sharpies, as four is probably not enough.

    5. Buy more rangefinder batteries. 5 or 6 should cover any eventualities.

    6. Sharpen every scoring pencil, even though I will grab at least a dozen more when I get to the first tee on each course.

    7. Count and evenly distribute the tees in each bag, even though I will grab at least a dozen more when I get to the first tee on each course.

    8. Run through the hole-by-hole descriptions on the website, comparing each with my course guides, which have some handwritten notes.

    9. Compare each photo of each hole with the ones I've taken on my trips and decide if I should get a better photo of that hole. Build an Excel spreadsheet to keep track.

    10. Review the strategy for each hole, even though the likelihood is that my tee shot will end up in a place I have never considered possible.

    11. Refine the packing list (daily) in order to possibly avoid the need to rent a 32' Uhaul truck for the 4-day trip.

    12. During daylight hours, check the webcams for each of the courses, and write-up a swing analysis for each of the players teeing off. Build an Excel spreadsheet for these and forward to Grant Rogers (daily).

    13. Try to avoid checking the weather forecast.

    14. When I check the weather forecast, imagine what ZR/layering I would be wearing if I were playing today.

    15. Decide which restaurant onsite I'll be visiting for each meal, examine the menus and make my meal choices. Build an Excel spreadsheet to keep track, making special notes on which salad dressing and how many pads of butter will be needed.

    16. Try to avoid talking to anyone outside of WRX about the trip, as they've all heard it a million times, and are already beginning to think that I'm way too obsessed about the place, which is clearly an exaggeration.



    Fill in the spare hours playing the par three holes (badly) on the Bandon website.




    This is in my top 5 of all time golf forum posts. Not only did I pick up some things I can do until our trip in late March but I really enjoyed the sprinkling of humor! Thanks for this Kevin!
    Posted:
  • FourUnderFourUnder Members  143WRX Points: 33Posts: 143 Fairways
    Joined:  #9
    Edaw68 wrote:


    Just over two months until my annual Bandon trip, and I've got the itch, especially since there's no golf in my area due to snow. What do you guys do to occupy the wait time? So far I've:



    -reread a bunch of old Bandon threads on GolfWRX.

    -rearranged/redone my golf bag load out in preparation for a ton of walking.

    -browsed and spent too much money on golf crap online.



    Thinking about reading Dream Golf again.




    Buy an industrial size fan and put it in front of a treadmill in your garage.



    Hang a garden hose just above the fan and turn them both on.



    Practice walking into almost horizontal rain.
    Posted:
  • buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers  1064WRX Points: 189Handicap: MentalPosts: 1,064 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #10
    Taste test bourbon and scotch to figure out what to fill the flask with is a fun win win way to kill some time. Plus you can do it everyday. hahaha.
    Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
    T200, 5-gw, AMT Black stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M
    Never Compromise Portofino
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members  10322WRX Points: 570Handicap: 12Posts: 10,322 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #11
    Practice playing Poker. long nights in the Bunker
    Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P stnd. cord
    Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1838WRX Points: 427Posts: 1,838 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #12
    FourUnder wrote:

    Edaw68 wrote:


    Just over two months until my annual Bandon trip, and I've got the itch, especially since there's no golf in my area due to snow. What do you guys do to occupy the wait time? So far I've:



    -reread a bunch of old Bandon threads on GolfWRX.

    -rearranged/redone my golf bag load out in preparation for a ton of walking.

    -browsed and spent too much money on golf crap online.



    Thinking about reading Dream Golf again.




    Buy an industrial size fan and put it in front of a treadmill in your garage.



    Hang a garden hose just above the fan and turn them both on.



    Practice walking into almost horizontal rain.




    Now this is some practical advice....
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1838WRX Points: 427Posts: 1,838 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #13
    buzlin wrote:


    Taste test bourbon and scotch to figure out what to fill the flask with is a fun win win way to kill some time. Plus you can do it everyday. hahaha.




    Buz - you and I most definitely need to tee it up together some time...
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers  1064WRX Points: 189Handicap: MentalPosts: 1,064 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #14
    spud3 wrote:

    buzlin wrote:


    Taste test bourbon and scotch to figure out what to fill the flask with is a fun win win way to kill some time. Plus you can do it everyday. hahaha.




    Buz - you and I most definitely need to tee it up together some time...


    Check these out. Cost me almost as much as a green fee at Pebble! If I can sell them, I could pay for an entire week at Bandon! Hahaha.
    Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
    T200, 5-gw, AMT Black stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M
    Never Compromise Portofino
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1838WRX Points: 427Posts: 1,838 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #15
    Looks very...dark....
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • Matt JMatt J Members  8735WRX Points: 340Posts: 8,735 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #16
    I got one for the list...



    use Google Earth to view the layouts. You can even break out the "measuring stick" tool and plot your club choice.



    My group is in a veritable debate on whether or not to caddie. I'm a little biased, as I spent most of my adult life in what I think is a similar career, as a whitewater raft guide. Liking the idea of everyone kicking in $40 - give the guy $160 and don't ask him to carry a bag, just walk around and tell us about the course.
    Posted:
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members  1634WRX Points: 262Handicap: 5Posts: 1,634 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #17
    Matt J wrote:
    I got one for the list...



    use Google Earth to view the layouts. You can even break out the "measuring stick" tool and plot your club choice.



    My group is in a veritable debate on whether or not to caddie. I'm a little biased, as I spent most of my adult life in what I think is a similar career, as a whitewater raft guide. Liking the idea of everyone kicking in $40 - give the guy $160 and don't ask him to carry a bag, just walk around and tell us about the course.




    Yeah, excellent idea. I've been all over google earth.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1838WRX Points: 427Posts: 1,838 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #18
    Matt J wrote:


    I got one for the list...



    use Google Earth to view the layouts. You can even break out the "measuring stick" tool and plot your club choice.



    My group is in a veritable debate on whether or not to caddie. I'm a little biased, as I spent most of my adult life in what I think is a similar career, as a whitewater raft guide. Liking the idea of everyone kicking in $40 - give the guy $160 and don't ask him to carry a bag, just walk around and tell us about the course.




    The caddy services include a plan for a forecaddie for a foursome, which is exactly what you're describing. I think the going rate is $100 for the foursome, plus whatever tips you feel are appropriate. For that rate, you get all the course knowledge, green reading, ball finding and charm, just not the guy lugging your bag as well.



    I think it's a great way to go, especially for a first time round on a course.
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • PutterHoPutterHo We all have our vices. ClubWRX  3273WRX Points: 147Handicap: AlotPosts: 3,273 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #19
    We just had our Bandon Trip this past November and it was amazing. The first round was on Bandon Dunes in the best possible weather, the next morning was possible worst possible wind and rain so we played 8 deep on the Preserve par 3 course and then Pacific Dunes, finished out the trip with Old Macdonald. I took a caddie for all 3 rounds and it proved well worth it for a big time Hack like myself. Lots of booze, stogies, and good times.



    p.s. - Check out the 1/2 off clearance racks in all of the pro shops.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood
    Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
    Srixon Z565 4-AW
    Vokey Indigo 54
    Vokey Indigo 60
    Camico Newport 2
  • PutterHoPutterHo We all have our vices. ClubWRX  3273WRX Points: 147Handicap: AlotPosts: 3,273 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #20
    buzlin wrote:


    Taste test bourbon and scotch to figure out what to fill the flask with is a fun win win way to kill some time. Plus you can do it everyday. hahaha.
    Flasks? One night every restaurant and bar was packed so we just pulled up benches outside of the main shop. Sell the Pappy and go to Bandon or even just the PVW 23 and drink the ORVW 10 there with your buddies.

    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood
    Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
    Srixon Z565 4-AW
    Vokey Indigo 54
    Vokey Indigo 60
    Camico Newport 2
  • mallratmallrat Members  3281WRX Points: 436Posts: 3,281 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #21
    If you really want to get ready. Every big storm between now and your trip, go out and play. Rain, go play. Wind, go play. Rain and wind, play 36. Then go home, stand in the mirror and practice your delivery for your best shots of the day. Work on being loud at the right time in the story so you can properly speak louder than everyone in your group.



    Once comfortable with that, work on your debate skills because inevitably someone in the group will have too much to drink and begin to argue with you why your favorite course isn't the best (most likely to place in the Bunker Bar.)



    Only after all this is accomplished, go to your local high school football field and practice hitting punch shot on artificial turf to see how far they run, then break out the hybrid and work on your putting distance. Stand on the goal line and work on putting to each yard line starting at with the 30 and working your way all the way to the other goal line. Then you will be truly ready for Bandon.
    Posted:
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1838WRX Points: 427Posts: 1,838 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #22
    Reviving this thread because we're 3 1/2 weeks out and the Bandon Bug is biting hard. Re-reading this helps...



    ...sorta....
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers  1064WRX Points: 189Handicap: MentalPosts: 1,064 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #23
    Typically I spend my evenings re-reading Dream Golf, but this year it's all about Zen Golf. Gonna go full mental this year and stay present. This has been my kryptonite in past years. The courses are so beautiful and at times really challenging, so I'm working on my focus this year. Cut down significantly on my drinking too, so maybe I'll save some coin and my liver this time. hahaha.
    Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
    T200, 5-gw, AMT Black stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M
    Never Compromise Portofino
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1838WRX Points: 427Posts: 1,838 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #24
    I have read Zen Guitar, but not Zen Golf. Guess it'll be a trip over to Powell's at lunch tomorrow.
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers  1064WRX Points: 189Handicap: MentalPosts: 1,064 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Jan 31, 2018 #25
    I've owned that book for many years, and have read it a couple times before, but not until this last time was I ready to really absorb and attempt to apply what's said. I've put it to the test a few times at the range and once on course, and it's been ridiculously good. A lot of how and where and when to focus, how to accept results, how to get the best out of yourself, without tying yourself up in swing mechanics, etc...............anyway, it's been a revelation so far. Plus there's a lot in there that you can apply to your regular life, work, kids, rush hour traffic etc.................



    I have most of Bob Rotella's books and enjoy them as well. This one is a bit more specific to zen/buddhist teachings and philosophy.
    Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
    T200, 5-gw, AMT Black stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M
    Never Compromise Portofino
  • leerob3leerob3 Members  643WRX Points: 98Posts: 643 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #26
    Don't forget to break out the PS3 for some Tiger Woods 13!!
    Posted:
    Cobra F9
    Cobra SZ 14.5*
    Ping G400 19*
    Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*
    Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5
  • The PearlThe Pearl Members  2011WRX Points: 159Posts: 2,011 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #27
    spud3 wrote:


    Reviving this thread because we're 3 1/2 weeks out and the Bandon Bug is biting hard. Re-reading this helps...



    ...sorta....




    Looks like we will be up there around the same time. The weather forecast out until mid-Feb is extraordinary, mid to high 50s and virtually no rain. I am in full fledged panic mode that mean reversion will kick in and the end of the month will revert to "ark-building" storms.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members  1634WRX Points: 262Handicap: 5Posts: 1,634 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #28
    The Pearl wrote:
    spud3 wrote:


    Reviving this thread because we're 3 1/2 weeks out and the Bandon Bug is biting hard. Re-reading this helps...



    ...sorta....




    Looks like we will be up there around the same time. The weather forecast out until mid-Feb is extraordinary, mid to high 50s and virtually no rain. I am in full fledged panic mode that mean reversion will kick in and the end of the month will revert to "ark-building" storms.


    Positive thoughts only!!

    Posted:
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1838WRX Points: 427Posts: 1,838 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #29
    Edaw68 wrote:

    The Pearl wrote:
    spud3 wrote:


    Reviving this thread because we're 3 1/2 weeks out and the Bandon Bug is biting hard. Re-reading this helps...



    ...sorta....




    Looks like we will be up there around the same time. The weather forecast out until mid-Feb is extraordinary, mid to high 50s and virtually no rain. I am in full fledged panic mode that mean reversion will kick in and the end of the month will revert to "ark-building" storms.


    Positive thoughts only!!




    Yes, it's time for the teeth-gnashing about how good the weather is now vs. what it will be like in three weeks...



    I try to breathe deeply and remember that every time I've gone, while I may have a day or so (if that) of Monsoon, the rest have all worked out fine.



    I will go, I will play, I will love it.



    Pearl - what are your dates?
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • WishIPlayedMoreWishIPlayedMore Members  66WRX Points: 23Handicap: 9.2Posts: 66 Bunkers
    Joined:  #30
    Yes, I am in near full panic watching the weather and feeling like there are only so many great weather days and they are all getting used up before I get there in 3 weeks. This will be my first trip (thanks Spud for the invite). Getting to play with a veteran is great. Spud's been giving me great advice about how to prepare. My work has taken quite the beating as I am consumed about this trip!
    Posted:
    Cobra King F8+
    Cobra Fly Z 4
    Cobra King F8 Hybrid
    Cobra King Forged Tour 4-W
    PING Glide 50* 54* 58*
    Taylor Made Spider Tour Black
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers  1064WRX Points: 189Handicap: MentalPosts: 1,064 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Feb 1, 2018 #31
    We've avoided any of the insane sustained rains in our last few trips, so we've probably jinxed it for you guys. That said, two sets of gore-tex, two fully water proof pairs of shoes, and H2NO bags are prep'd and ready.



    Spud, will hit you up via message and see if we can all (Edaw and WIPM, yeah) grab a beer at Punchbowl or McKees or Shorty's etc..............monday probably works best since we only have a 10 am on Trails.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
    T200, 5-gw, AMT Black stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M
    Never Compromise Portofino
9

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.