First equipment purchase of 2018?

Rory4Pres

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First official gear purchase of the year was new crispy wedges for the season. Found BNIP 50* and 54* Bridgestone j15 wedges wedges for 60 each on the bay. Other than that, I'm actually really happy with the rest of my set. Next big purchase might be a set of lessons to tune up for the year.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

Just picked up some Cobra F7 single length irons 5-GW ... gonna give them a try.

The Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max 10.5° Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 Max 5w/7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h/5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS Z-115

Oddysey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie 33"

I bought a new Leupold gx-5i range finder because my gx-3i died after 7 years. Sent it in for warranty, was denied due to the electronics dying and not the scope itself.

Was bummed but they kept me happy by giving me a very generous discount on the new one.

I've felt so naked without it. Can't wait to get it.

Then I'll probably get some new wedges in a few months.

First purchase - a subscription to The Golfers Journal magazine; looks incredible online and though expensive to ship out to the UK it looks worth it.

Equipment - ordered a set of Srixon 765 irons (5 - PW, 565 4 iron) to finally replace my Cleveland TA3 Form Forged irons... and a Jones Players 001 bag for them to go in.

How are you liking the jones players bag? Got any pics?

Annoyingly I haven't got the Jones Bag yet; it should be here in March. Plan on doing a WITB when it arrives.

765 irons feel great though, delighted Srixon finally let lefty's enjoy their product too!

I've been testing a KBS 610 wedge shaft to replace the C-Tapers in my 56 and 60. I think that'll be about it this year.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I resolved to buy nothing other than maybe a DI. Or maybe 4. Someone posted that there was a new CX2 Cure putter available for 40 bucks. I failed 54 hours into my resolution. Maybe 2019 will see no new clubs, but since 2108 is wasted I'm going to go ahead and get an M3 and probably an M4 once they come available. There'll probably be some new iron sets that see some action too. Those TM 790's have me interested.

Once the resolution is busted and I feel the shame for that, all bets are off. I need a golf club 12 step. I have a lot of putters. The one in my bag is the best I've ever used and nothing will kick it out. But in case I'm wrong I'm going to give this Cure thing a shot.

Only a jerk quotes himself, but I want to show how far off the resolution wagon I've fallen. One sip of that Cure Putter was enough to get the ball rolling. Off the wagon I fell, and fell hard. This post will stand as my call for help. I need it. So far January has brought... (and I'm probably forgetting something or other and I'm not going to include incidentals that are always in need such as the balls and gloves that have me set through 2030 now).

1. Cure CX2 Putter posted above. For $40.00 I NEEDED it.

2. Callaway Rogue Driver. I posted a thread about it. I'm not the best ball striker on the planet and I averaged a 1.5 smash. I never see 1.5 smash for a single shot let alone for a 20 shot set. It hasn't come yet but it'll probably have a dead face. Spin numbers for a stock stiff shaft that I Demo'd were bueno as well. I NEEDED it.

3. Wilson Triton with Rogue Silver Tour X Shaft. I got it brand new for cheaper than I could find the shaft, used. The Triton is loud, obnoxious, and really crappy. The Rogue is the real deal and has been swapped to a TM adapter already. I have tamed bad spin after a 3 year quest. I can't wait to swap it into the Rogue when it arrives. I NEEDED this shaft. If anyone wants the Triton head with all the fixings PM me. I'll include a pair of shooting muffs with purchase, gratis.

4. An older graphite shaft DI I found for 10 bucks. It's horrible and will sprain your wrist if you hit it 1/2" towards the toe. It was an experiment that I NEEDED.

5. A real DI, it's the latest Ping UDI at 19*. Obviously I NEEDED it. I've only hit it once for about 10 shots and so far I get 15 yards more than my 4i, basically equaling my 3h in distance. Blah. With my high ball flight maybe a DI isn't my cup of tea.

6. A TM R1 TP. At the price I found it, I NEEDED it. Hasn't arrived yet. White head though, I like those.

7. A TM 2017 M1 440. I have a 2016 430 TP, this is supposed to be better so I NEEDED it. Hasn't arrived yet. I love the M3/M4. Drive down prices of the prior to the point where I'd be a fool to not get one of each. Speaking of..

8. A TM 2017 M2. I've hit the M2 but never owned one. Found a steal and I've heard they are very forgiving. I NEED that.

9. 2 Qty 2016 M2 HL 3w. I got brand new for 60.00 each. Gave one to dad. He NEEDED a 3w, and I wanted to be able to show him how to use it.

10. A (don't laugh) brand new Cleveland Browns Cart Bag for 44.99 total. It's super nice. I'm not a fan, but I'm playing the long game and this thing is going to be very popular when (if??) they ever decide to play real football. I NEED investments and this seemed like a good one.

11. A new Maxfli carry/stand bag. I've resolved to walk my fat butt around more this year and I can't do that with my current stable of cart bags. It was nice and 50.00 brand new from Dicks. I actually did kind of NEED this to walk more.

12. Regrips on my original set of Ping Eye 2's. I played them for 20 years. I love the way they look at address and even if they can't knock out one of a dozen other sets in my gamer bag, I'm still going to play them some. They don't go as far as my AP2's or Vapor Speeds, but dang if I'm not a little more confident standing over the ball with them. They NEEDED the regrip love and they've got a punchers chance of being iron 1 in 2018 now.

13. I've started the process of the home simulator. So far I've only got the Skytrak, NEEDED X10, and plans for the rest of it. I also ordered an Optishot 2 since it looks like that could be fun for the kids and they're dirt cheap. I've got the hitting mat, I need to add the frame, impact screen, projector, and anything else I'm leaving off. Biggest drawback is my wife refuses to not park in the garage and my side is filled with clubs, bags, more clubs, bikes, mowers, etc. so I need to build a shed for these items before the project continues. I broached the subject of just setting it up in our 2 story high great/family room. Let's just say that that was not a popular idea, but if I decide to do that I'll have plenty of time to play on it. Because I'll be living here by myself. I NEED her to understand but she just doesn't.

I know I'm forgetting something(s). But I think I've met my NEEDS pretty well so far. This new M3/M4 kind of scares me. I think I'll probably end up with an M3 but I hope I don't NEED one before I can find a gently used one at a bargain price.

I know I need help. I justify most purchases by telling myself that I got such good deals I can flip it and at least break even. I can't do that with the Rogue. I'm in for 500.0" and as soon as I hit it I won't be able to get 350.00 out of it. I NEEDED to take the risk on ball speed alone with it. If I can get 7.2 more yards with it, it's worth it. I'll get to yell "FORE" more often and a good yelling is cathartic and good for your soul. I NEED that. Thanks for listening. I feel better already. If you need me I'll be in CPO the rest of the night. I've neglected wedges so far this year and they're having a sale.....

I have my 1st man crush. :drinks:

Hopefully I'll be good for a while:

• Rogue Sub Zero Driver
  • Rogue Sub Zero 3 wood
  • Byron Morgan 615

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

Used TEE CBX 16.5* 4 wood

Used Callaway Apex 23* hybrid ($120 from Callaway Preowned in like new condition, not a scratch on the face or sole, one small nick on the back part of the head. It is basically a new club).

To be ordered soon: TM P770 5-PW, Evnroll putter

A Oban Kiyoshi Purple driver shaft

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

I resolved to buy nothing other than maybe a DI. Or maybe 4. Someone posted that there was a new CX2 Cure putter available for 40 bucks. I failed 54 hours into my resolution. Maybe 2019 will see no new clubs, but since 2108 is wasted I'm going to go ahead and get an M3 and probably an M4 once they come available. There'll probably be some new iron sets that see some action too. Those TM 790's have me interested.

Once the resolution is busted and I feel the shame for that, all bets are off. I need a golf club 12 step. I have a lot of putters. The one in my bag is the best I've ever used and nothing will kick it out. But in case I'm wrong I'm going to give this Cure thing a shot.

Only a jerk quotes himself, but I want to show how far off the resolution wagon I've fallen. One sip of that Cure Putter was enough to get the ball rolling. Off the wagon I fell, and fell hard. This post will stand as my call for help. I need it. So far January has brought... (and I'm probably forgetting something or other and I'm not going to include incidentals that are always in need such as the balls and gloves that have me set through 2030 now).

1. Cure CX2 Putter posted above. For $40.00 I NEEDED it.

2. Callaway Rogue Driver. I posted a thread about it. I'm not the best ball striker on the planet and I averaged a 1.5 smash. I never see 1.5 smash for a single shot let alone for a 20 shot set. It hasn't come yet but it'll probably have a dead face. Spin numbers for a stock stiff shaft that I Demo'd were bueno as well. I NEEDED it.

3. Wilson Triton with Rogue Silver Tour X Shaft. I got it brand new for cheaper than I could find the shaft, used. The Triton is loud, obnoxious, and really crappy. The Rogue is the real deal and has been swapped to a TM adapter already. I have tamed bad spin after a 3 year quest. I can't wait to swap it into the Rogue when it arrives. I NEEDED this shaft. If anyone wants the Triton head with all the fixings PM me. I'll include a pair of shooting muffs with purchase, gratis.

4. An older graphite shaft DI I found for 10 bucks. It's horrible and will sprain your wrist if you hit it 1/2" towards the toe. It was an experiment that I NEEDED.

5. A real DI, it's the latest Ping UDI at 19*. Obviously I NEEDED it. I've only hit it once for about 10 shots and so far I get 15 yards more than my 4i, basically equaling my 3h in distance. Blah. With my high ball flight maybe a DI isn't my cup of tea.

6. A TM R1 TP. At the price I found it, I NEEDED it. Hasn't arrived yet. White head though, I like those.

7. A TM 2017 M1 440. I have a 2016 430 TP, this is supposed to be better so I NEEDED it. Hasn't arrived yet. I love the M3/M4. Drive down prices of the prior to the point where I'd be a fool to not get one of each. Speaking of..

8. A TM 2017 M2. I've hit the M2 but never owned one. Found a steal and I've heard they are very forgiving. I NEED that.

9. 2 Qty 2016 M2 HL 3w. I got brand new for 60.00 each. Gave one to dad. He NEEDED a 3w, and I wanted to be able to show him how to use it.

10. A (don't laugh) brand new Cleveland Browns Cart Bag for 44.99 total. It's super nice. I'm not a fan, but I'm playing the long game and this thing is going to be very popular when (if??) they ever decide to play real football. I NEED investments and this seemed like a good one.

11. A new Maxfli carry/stand bag. I've resolved to walk my fat butt around more this year and I can't do that with my current stable of cart bags. It was nice and 50.00 brand new from Dicks. I actually did kind of NEED this to walk more.

12. Regrips on my original set of Ping Eye 2's. I played them for 20 years. I love the way they look at address and even if they can't knock out one of a dozen other sets in my gamer bag, I'm still going to play them some. They don't go as far as my AP2's or Vapor Speeds, but dang if I'm not a little more confident standing over the ball with them. They NEEDED the regrip love and they've got a punchers chance of being iron 1 in 2018 now.

13. I've started the process of the home simulator. So far I've only got the Skytrak, NEEDED X10, and plans for the rest of it. I also ordered an Optishot 2 since it looks like that could be fun for the kids and they're dirt cheap. I've got the hitting mat, I need to add the frame, impact screen, projector, and anything else I'm leaving off. Biggest drawback is my wife refuses to not park in the garage and my side is filled with clubs, bags, more clubs, bikes, mowers, etc. so I need to build a shed for these items before the project continues. I broached the subject of just setting it up in our 2 story high great/family room. Let's just say that that was not a popular idea, but if I decide to do that I'll have plenty of time to play on it. Because I'll be living here by myself. I NEED her to understand but she just doesn't.

I know I'm forgetting something(s). But I think I've met my NEEDS pretty well so far. This new M3/M4 kind of scares me. I think I'll probably end up with an M3 but I hope I don't NEED one before I can find a gently used one at a bargain price.

I know I need help. I justify most purchases by telling myself that I got such good deals I can flip it and at least break even. I can't do that with the Rogue. I'm in for 500.0" and as soon as I hit it I won't be able to get 350.00 out of it. I NEEDED to take the risk on ball speed alone with it. If I can get 7.2 more yards with it, it's worth it. I'll get to yell "FORE" more often and a good yelling is cathartic and good for your soul. I NEED that. Thanks for listening. I feel better already. If you need me I'll be in CPO the rest of the night. I've neglected wedges so far this year and they're having a sale.....

I have my 1st man crush. :drinks:

Lol! You shouldn't, but I can tell you the house golf sim project is a full go, sans shed even. Wife of 15 years is moving on (nothing to do with my golf addiction, at least I think not?) so I'm pretty sure that I'll have one of the best elder golf themed bachelor pads in America PDQ. The 2 story great room will have a full sim, I'm debating on puting in a putting green and maybe a real bunker?? I've yet to research indoor bunkers so that may be a pipe dream. At any rate this place is going to be exactly what I've always envisioned my house as. Full fledge golf simulator with theatre seating behind it to watch the action and then watch golf or football on the 12' projection screen.

I'll be shocked if I'm not inducted into the bachelor pad golf HOF by the time I'm done. I'm going to start with the skytrak and upgrade to something better once bonus season hits, at least that's my plan. If the skytrak leaves nothing to be desired I'll keep it and focus funds into that indoor bunker I'm dreaming of.

If there is ever another lady involved, she'll have to deal with what's already in place. At this point that is the last thing on my mind. I've got plans brother, I've got plans! (While admittedly I'm trying to stay as upbeat as I can!).

Edit: If you think that's nuts you should see the last 48 hours activity on EBay and CPO. I may have a problem but I found some relief to my problem by buying more golf clubs. I've got so much coming that I'm not sure I'll even be able to test it all out this season. I should probably cool off a little. Not so much as a matter of money but as a matter of storage. Money may not buy happiness but it dang sure buys golf clubs, which equals happiness for me. Happiness is not my life recently so if I can grin when I see that brown truck parked out front, it might be my only grin of the day. Her half of the garage isn't needed anymore so I've done my part to fill that side with clubs, just like my half. It's now my whole garage so it's only fitting.

If I ever have a "garage sale" it'll be invite only and extended only to those on this website. It'll be Epic. Fit for a King (F8). Rogues, both of head and body will be dealt (with). Temperatures will be Sub-Zero, but I'm sure turnout will be good. There will be Projects that correspond to the 24th letter. Prices will make some feel that they're being shafted. Those people may take © flight and wonder what my handicap is? Is this guys Heads in the clouds, they may ask? I'll remain calm and simply ask them "R15 you kidding?"

It could be a fun Day. I'd do it Daly if time allowed. My Tiger would be kept in his cage to keep it from fighting with my Golden Bear. 20 years ago my Shark would have needed a tank but I'm pretty sure it's not needed anymore. Free Air "ohhhhh Jordan's" to the first 25 customers.

That's probably a lot dumber than I intended.

Came today... F8 One Length, 4 to PW with KBS Tour V shafts :)

39153531565_7604319be2_c.jpg

40052217401_1e14a114f1_c.jpg

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

PING Karsten TR Anser 5.

It's been 10 years since I gamed a blade putter. Thought it was time to try again after I duffed 2 putts last round...

I read on here that a PING with a 5 on it means it is face-balanced and SBST is my putting style (I think).

Also bought a tour pride SNSR grip to put on. Hope it all works out for the better...

D - TaylorMade Stealth2 HD 9°, Tensei AV blue 65, x-flex
F - TaylorMade SIM2 15° & 19°, Tensei AV blue 65fw & 60, s-flex
H - TaylorMade SIM2 22°, Tensei AV blue 80hy, s-flex
I - Mizuno MP-20hmb, 5-PW, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
W - Mizuno T22, 50° 56° 62°, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
P - Mizuno M-craft OMOI 3
B - Vice Pro

I was really not intending on buying anything this season, but made a low offer on a new uncut Tensei Pro White 90 hybrid shaft, was accepted. I guess all the Epic's will have a Tensei Pro now.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I'll add my second one. These beauties are mine as of yesterday and should here by week's end. Bridgestone JD15DF forged, 4-Sw, XP95 S shafts, and the Pure midsize wrap grips match the color of the ferrules on each club. :taunt:

The price was $350 Ca. or about $275 U.S.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Ping G400 MAX ! This is on my sure shot SHORTLIST .

Have already put up the G20 ,G SFT, and TM M2 drivers for sale to finance the MAX.

Sticking to my trusty Wishon 919 THI driver awaiting the arrival of the MAX.

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

The new Proforce V2...yew!

Oh man, my favorite shaft. How does the new one compare to the old version?!

I went ahead and bought the old version of the proforce v2 for my 915D3. Installing adapter now. Hoping it works out as well as my 905r!

As for everything else - I have aspirations for the following:

1. G400 diver if the 915 doesn’t tickle my fancy.

2. Spider Tour putter if it kicks my Scotty Newport 3 out of the bag (pending putter fitting in the coming months).

3. SM6 52

4. And most importantly - Boston terrier driver headcover to rep my little dude...

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410 LST 3wd - Alta Stiff

Srixon ZX5 MKii, 3i - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Srixon ZX7 MKii, 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50, 55, 60 - DG S400
Odyssey Prototype #9