2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Future Tour schedule

jimb6golf

Just read the Golf Digest article about the future Tour schedule and they noted that the TPC Boston tournament was in jeopardy going forward. As this is the only tournament in New England, other than the Travelers, and a well attended event I would be extremely disappointed if this is true. I've attended every tournament since it started and it's a really fun event around a fun course where you can see interesting shots and scores. It took a very long time to get a tournament back to this area and I would hate to see it lost again. I hope the PGA agrees and finds a way to keep this tournament whether it's part of the FedEx events or at another time of year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically the TOUR likes to have events in the more major markets - more sponsorship and hospitality sales that way. So, even if there was a short hiatus, I would expect the Boston area would be on the short list of attractive destinations for tournaments to move to.

Of course, it really comes down to title sponsors and where they want to host their tournament. So a lot of it will come down to if the TOUR can find a sponsor who wants to host a tournament in Boston area.

Another intriguing part of that article is the potential relocation of the WGC event from Firestone to Memphis. While I'm sure that would suck for golf fans in Akron, it would allow Firestone to host an old school, high rough, tight fairways, slick greens style U.S. Open.

.....that would never get completed due to constant mid summer thunderstorms.....

Another intriguing part of that article is the potential relocation of the WGC event from Firestone to Memphis. While I'm sure that would suck for golf fans in Akron, it would allow Firestone to host an old school, high rough, tight fairways, slick greens style U.S. Open.

.....that would never get completed due to constant mid summer thunderstorms.....

I know they've held it at Inverness before. Is the weather hugely different from Toledo to Akron?

Akron losing the WGC would be a big hit for that city. Firestone is a great course. Moving that tournament to Memphis (to appease FedEx based in Memphis) would be a mistake. I understand they control the purse strings but the sponsors already have too much say on the PGA.

I know they've held it at Inverness before. Is the weather hugely different from Toledo to Akron?

I thought we were talking about Akron to Memphis?

Massive weather differences between those 2.

I thought we were talking about Akron to Memphis?

Massive weather differences between those 2.

I thought you meant the storms impeding the U.S. Open if it were to be in Akron. Any weather issues in Memphis would be lessened to a degree by the WGC field being half the size of a regular tour event.

We know they want to drop the playoffs to three events so somebody’s losing a big event. I doubt they want to lose the New York market and Coke isn’t giving up the Tour Championship in Atlanta so it’s Boston or the BMW. Boston doesn’t have a sponsor past 2018 as Boston always thought EMC would take sponsorship until they got bought by Dell. Dell already has a WGC event in its home market in Texas. I have heard several scenarios 1) lose Boston, 2) BMW moves to Boston market and they drop the Chicago area playoff event, 3) Boston gets in the Barclays rotation so NY and Boston share an event. I think scenario 3 is unlikely as Barclays would want to entertain NY clients. So I would bet it’s 1 or 2. Given the tour owns TPC Boston, I would lean towards 2.

We know they want to drop the playoffs to three events so somebody’s losing a big event. I doubt they want to lose the New York market and Coke isn’t giving up the Tour Championship in Atlanta so it’s Boston or the BMW. Boston doesn’t have a sponsor past 2018 as Boston always thought EMC would take sponsorship until they got bought by Dell. Dell already has a WGC event in its home market in Texas. I have heard several scenarios 1) lose Boston, 2) BMW moves to Boston market and they drop the Chicago area playoff event, 3) Boston gets in the Barclays rotation so NY and Boston share an event. I think scenario 3 is unlikely as Barclays would want to entertain NY clients. So I would bet it’s 1 or 2. Given the tour owns TPC Boston, I would lean towards 2.

I doubt scenario 3 is an option as the Northern Trust has host venues booked through 2022.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the PGA Tour dropped Boston. There’s never been good support for PGA events in metro Boston - as a corporate sponsor, the Dell / Deutsche Bank event was always a tough ticket to give away. It doesn’t help that the current tournament hits just as the Patriots are getting going and the Red Sox are pushing for a playoff spot. You call a client up with tickets to the Patriots opener? They’re pumped. Call them and offer a VIP ticket to golf, on Labor Day weekend? Uh, no thanks.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't surprise me if the PGA Tour dropped Boston. There's never been good support for PGA events in metro Boston - as a corporate sponsor, the Dell / Deutsche Bank event was always a tough ticket to give away. It doesn't help that the current tournament hits just as the Patriots are getting going and the Red Sox are pushing for a playoff spot. You call a client up with tickets to the Patriots opener? They're pumped. Call them and offer a VIP ticket to golf, on Labor Day weekend? Uh, no thanks.

I think you're right about the corporate side, but the tournament is really well attended from what I gather. It's just that most of the luxury boxes are empty since everyone is on the cape or islands that weekend, to your point. Really tough for client entertainment when the only weekday is the Friday of Labor Day weekend and you are looking at terrible traffic when the day is done, let alone an angry family at home.

You just described Firestone exactly ... Old School, High Rough, Tight Fairways and slick greens.

I have followed many a tournament at Akron Firestone. I would love to see the bombers on that course during an Open. Squeeze in those fairways, grow out the rough, get the greens running as fast as possible. Bring back old style golf on an old style parkland track. May the best man win. Good stuff.

Concur. Perfect throwback Open course.

Firestone will never get a US Open. The course isn’t good enough and it wasn’t created with the backing of the USGA.

Lol at it not being able to host a U.S. Open. It has had an event every year from 1954-Present with 3 PGA Championships. I’m sorry but you’re crazy

Not saying it couldn’t, just saying it won’t.

Mjen43, what criteria are you using to make the statement that Firestone South is not that good? Please enlighten us.

It’s just an architecturally insignificant venue. Redesigned in the dark ages of golf course architecture, it doesn’t have much to offer besides being a long, narrow, and repetitive bowling alley.

You could certainly trick it up with rock hard fairways and greens and deep rough to produce US Open-esque scores, but you can say the same of an inumerable amount of other courses. The typical US Open rota courses (Pebble, Oakmont, Pinehurst, Bethpage, Winged Foot, Shinnecock) are some of the best strategic courses in the world and the alternative venues we’ve seen in recent years (Torrey, Chambers, Erin Hills) all were selected by the USGA for very specific purposes (West Coast public counterpart to Bethpage, PNW venue, and Erin Hills was given the USGAs blessing from its conception).

Firestone is a good tournament test but it just doesn’t fit the profile of a typical US Open venue under the current USGA leadership. It’s a throwback course to the era of penal architecture and those days are gone.

I understand people on this site long for the US Opens of the 80s though with narrow, tree-lined fairways and deep rough. They want the US Open to be the one week where players hack it around and can’t break par. Thankfully the USGA has realized that point and shoot penal target golf with limited options/strategies is not a true test of one’s abilities and is not the way the game was intended to be played.

I wish there were more/some Tour events in Colorado. I went to the BMW Championship when it was out here 3 years ago and loved it.

Hopefully with the new TPC Colorado being built, it will attract some sort of event. I know it's got 5 years of Web.Com events lined up starting in like 2020. So maybe a PGA Tour event starting in 2025?

• 3 weeks later...

TPC Southwind in Memphis fired their GM very abruptly last week and it got a lot of us talking. Was at a social dinner at the club Friday night and the rumor I was told was Fred Smith (CEO of FedEx) has or will put in a stipulation into the FedEx Cup renewal that Memphis get a WGC event starting in 2019. Another rumor is our clubhouse is about to be gutted and remolded at some point in preparation. There have been a lot of course improvements over the past 6 months (holes lengthened, two greens rebuilt, adjusted/rebuilt tee boxes) that make sense now...... August is hot and dry in Memphis. I am talking 100 degree temps with heat indexes in the 110-115 range. It will be a challenge and the course plays real tough when dry.

I like Southwind for what it is at the moment, a good warm up course the week before the US Open, but to be holding a WGC every year? Not so much. It was the same with Doral for years, one of the most boring, nondescript stops on the tour, even the massive redesign couldn’t save it.

Are there any new or better courses in Memphis that could possible hold the event? Or is Southwind pretty much it?

I like Southwind for what it is at the moment, a good warm up course the week before the US Open, but to be holding a WGC every year? Not so much. It was the same with Doral for years, one of the most boring, nondescript stops on the tour, even the massive redesign couldn't save it.

Are there any new or better courses in Memphis that could possible hold the event? Or is Southwind pretty much it?

Fred Smith is a member at Southwind so...... But to answer your question, Spring Creek is good enough but lacks the infrastructure of roads, hotels, etc. https://www.springcreekranch.org/

• 1 month later...
We know they want to drop the playoffs to three events so somebody’s losing a big event.
nTypically the TOUR likes to have events in the more major markets - more sponsorship and hospitality sales that way.

In 2018 there won't be any tournament in Chicago.

The PGA tour should have never let the Western Open go by way of the dinosaur. One of the oldest tournaments in professional golf and the tour let it disappear like a fart in the wind.