First equipment purchase of 2018?

Rory4Pres

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already bought 2 new putter grips. Because, you know, it's the grip that's the problem. Other than that, TM's M4 Driver/3-Wood/Hybrid. It's about time to upgrade.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

I'm thinking a 12' by 2' birdie ball putting green. Probably should have ordered one a few months ago but was pretty busy this year over the holidays and I'm definitely getting the golf itch.

Rolls well, but is made of a type of foam. I just got one a couple of months ago and am beginning to question its durability. I would recommend looking elsewhere.

I'm thinking a 12' by 2' birdie ball putting green. Probably should have ordered one a few months ago but was pretty busy this year over the holidays and I'm definitely getting the golf itch.

Rolls well, but is made of a type of foam. I just got one a couple of months ago and am beginning to question its durability. I would recommend looking elsewhere.

I think it depends on how you use it. I have one and it stays in my loft area, use it pretty frequently and it doesn't really see any other traffic. Definitely wouldn't have it somewhere like a patio where people or pets could accidentally hit it or puncture it

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

I think it depends on how you use it. I have one and it stays in my loft area, use it pretty frequently and it doesn't really see any other traffic. Definitely wouldn't have it somewhere like a patio where people or pets could accidentally hit it or puncture it

Yea I have an apartment that doesn't offer a ton of storage space so I need something that stores conveniently for when guests are over and whatnot. Plus I don't have the room for a super wide green, so something like a 4x8 Big Moss just wouldn't work for me. I figure for $100 the Birdie Ball is worth a shot. Heck I've definitely spent more on clubs that I've never even hit and turned around to trade away so I won't be out too much if I'm not in love with it.

New driver shaft!

Fuji Motore Vc 6.2 TS xflex

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 8°

KBS Tour Proto 105X Callaway XForged'18 UT 18°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

2016 M1 3 wood

Ping G424 Max (9) - Ping Tour 65 S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid (16) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
Ping G425 3 Hybrid (20) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
PXG Gen 5 0331P irons 5 - G - Steel fiber PR I110

Square Strike Chipper (black) 45 (Damn chipping yips)
Cleveland CBX 2 54 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 58 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Scotty X5 duel 33 in / 40g    

9 HC

Yea I have an apartment that doesn't offer a ton of storage space so I need something that stores conveniently for when guests are over and whatnot. Plus I don't have the room for a super wide green, so something like a 4x8 Big Moss just wouldn't work for me. I figure for $100 the Birdie Ball is worth a shot. Heck I've definitely spent more on clubs that I've never even hit and turned around to trade away so I won't be out too much if I'm not in love with it.

Check this out : https://proputtsyste...practice-strip/

I have the 3 x 15 strip and it's great , but it is $285

I resolved to buy nothing other than maybe a DI. Or maybe 4. Someone posted that there was a new CX2 Cure putter available for 40 bucks. I failed 54 hours into my resolution. Maybe 2019 will see no new clubs, but since 2108 is wasted I'm going to go ahead and get an M3 and probably an M4 once they come available. There'll probably be some new iron sets that see some action too. Those TM 790's have me interested.

Once the resolution is busted and I feel the shame for that, all bets are off. I need a golf club 12 step. I have a lot of putters. The one in my bag is the best I've ever used and nothing will kick it out. But in case I'm wrong I'm going to give this Cure thing a shot.

Only a jerk quotes himself, but I want to show how far off the resolution wagon I've fallen. One sip of that Cure Putter was enough to get the ball rolling. Off the wagon I fell, and fell hard. This post will stand as my call for help. I need it. So far January has brought... (and I'm probably forgetting something or other and I'm not going to include incidentals that are always in need such as the balls and gloves that have me set through 2030 now).

1. Cure CX2 Putter posted above. For $40.00 I NEEDED it.

2. Callaway Rogue Driver. I posted a thread about it. I'm not the best ball striker on the planet and I averaged a 1.5 smash. I never see 1.5 smash for a single shot let alone for a 20 shot set. It hasn't come yet but it'll probably have a dead face. Spin numbers for a stock stiff shaft that I Demo'd were bueno as well. I NEEDED it.

3. Wilson Triton with Rogue Silver Tour X Shaft. I got it brand new for cheaper than I could find the shaft, used. The Triton is loud, obnoxious, and really crappy. The Rogue is the real deal and has been swapped to a TM adapter already. I have tamed bad spin after a 3 year quest. I can't wait to swap it into the Rogue when it arrives. I NEEDED this shaft. If anyone wants the Triton head with all the fixings PM me. I'll include a pair of shooting muffs with purchase, gratis.

4. An older graphite shaft DI I found for 10 bucks. It's horrible and will sprain your wrist if you hit it 1/2" towards the toe. It was an experiment that I NEEDED.

5. A real DI, it's the latest Ping UDI at 19*. Obviously I NEEDED it. I've only hit it once for about 10 shots and so far I get 15 yards more than my 4i, basically equaling my 3h in distance. Blah. With my high ball flight maybe a DI isn't my cup of tea.

6. A TM R1 TP. At the price I found it, I NEEDED it. Hasn't arrived yet. White head though, I like those.

7. A TM 2017 M1 440. I have a 2016 430 TP, this is supposed to be better so I NEEDED it. Hasn't arrived yet. I love the M3/M4. Drive down prices of the prior to the point where I'd be a fool to not get one of each. Speaking of..

8. A TM 2017 M2. I've hit the M2 but never owned one. Found a steal and I've heard they are very forgiving. I NEED that.

9. 2 Qty 2016 M2 HL 3w. I got brand new for 60.00 each. Gave one to dad. He NEEDED a 3w, and I wanted to be able to show him how to use it.

10. A (don't laugh) brand new Cleveland Browns Cart Bag for 44.99 total. It's super nice. I'm not a fan, but I'm playing the long game and this thing is going to be very popular when (if??) they ever decide to play real football. I NEED investments and this seemed like a good one.

11. A new Maxfli carry/stand bag. I've resolved to walk my fat butt around more this year and I can't do that with my current stable of cart bags. It was nice and 50.00 brand new from Dicks. I actually did kind of NEED this to walk more.

12. Regrips on my original set of Ping Eye 2's. I played them for 20 years. I love the way they look at address and even if they can't knock out one of a dozen other sets in my gamer bag, I'm still going to play them some. They don't go as far as my AP2's or Vapor Speeds, but dang if I'm not a little more confident standing over the ball with them. They NEEDED the regrip love and they've got a punchers chance of being iron 1 in 2018 now.

13. I've started the process of the home simulator. So far I've only got the Skytrak, NEEDED X10, and plans for the rest of it. I also ordered an Optishot 2 since it looks like that could be fun for the kids and they're dirt cheap. I've got the hitting mat, I need to add the frame, impact screen, projector, and anything else I'm leaving off. Biggest drawback is my wife refuses to not park in the garage and my side is filled with clubs, bags, more clubs, bikes, mowers, etc. so I need to build a shed for these items before the project continues. I broached the subject of just setting it up in our 2 story high great/family room. Let's just say that that was not a popular idea, but if I decide to do that I'll have plenty of time to play on it. Because I'll be living here by myself. I NEED her to understand but she just doesn't.

I know I'm forgetting something(s). But I think I've met my NEEDS pretty well so far. This new M3/M4 kind of scares me. I think I'll probably end up with an M3 but I hope I don't NEED one before I can find a gently used one at a bargain price.

I know I need help. I justify most purchases by telling myself that I got such good deals I can flip it and at least break even. I can't do that with the Rogue. I'm in for 500.0" and as soon as I hit it I won't be able to get 350.00 out of it. I NEEDED to take the risk on ball speed alone with it. If I can get 7.2 more yards with it, it's worth it. I'll get to yell "FORE" more often and a good yelling is cathartic and good for your soul. I NEED that. Thanks for listening. I feel better already. If you need me I'll be in CPO the rest of the night. I've neglected wedges so far this year and they're having a sale.....

That makes me feel better... After the Cure Cx2, all I've bought was a Scotty Cameron California Sonoma, a set of Cobra King Forged One length irons, a Cobra King Utility 3i, and a few putter grips. I felt pretty out of control until I saw your January recap.

Best of luck with the family stuff, that definitely calls for a little Ebay surfing.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Full box of old school Henrik Stenson tour wrap full cords. Been looking for these along time. A guy found them in the back of his warehouse when cleaning out old golf supplies. $200cdn for the whole box.

I switched from green Victory grips to Tour Wrap Full Cord a year or so after taking up golf in the 90’s. Must have played more than s thousand rounds with them over the following 10 years. Not sure why I ever quit, maybe they were no longer available.

Tour Velvet BCT is not remotely the same grip traction-wise or feel-wise IMO. Great, great find there!

M4 driver with Tour AD-GP 6s

M4 3HL with Tour AD-BB 7s

Both bombers.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

New Triton driver on clearance price at GT, to upgrade finally from my r580 with 35-r flex shaft lol, figured this would be an upgrade that yields decent results. Also picked up a Cobra baffler t-rail 3 wood off kijiji in great shape for 50 bucks, and I'm likely going to end up back at GT to grab a Cleveland RTX 60 degree wedge to upgrade from the power bilt lob I'm using now.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

New Triton driver on clearance price at GT, to upgrade finally from my r580 with 35-r flex shaft lol, figured this would be an upgrade that yields decent results. Also picked up a Cobra baffler t-rail 3 wood off kijiji in great shape for 50 bucks, and I'm likely going to end up back at GT to grab a Cleveland RTX 60 degree wedge to upgrade from the power bilt lob I'm using now.

What was the price on the Triton? Online they're asking $220 + tax, around here it's still $250 + tax

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Me again, My Pro gave me a deal on my wedge set, no up-charges for the Shafts and grips. So I ordered Apex-16-Pro 5-PW, DG S300, MC Plus 4, and a X-Forged UT 24* This should be all I need for my bag for 2018, Woods, Hybrid, Putter all fairly new. FYI: I Demoed X-Forged Irons to see if they were a better match for me, but i hit the Apex-16 Pros so much better, so I went what works for me. Can't Wait to hit them on the course.

Callaway Rogue Pro irons with Project X 6.0. Not even a thought until a Callaway rep was talking about how they were waiting for theirs to show up. I decided to hit it and see what it was like and the rest is history. Distance control was stupid. Hit low, high, draw fade all within +/- 5 yards of each other. Mishits still went out there. Not to mention that they look good at address too. Should have them in a few weeks.

Callaway Rogue SZ 9*@10* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75x
Callaway BB Alpha 816 14* - Aldila VS Proto 70x
Callaway Apex UT 18* - Project X 6.0
Callaway X Forged 4-6 - Project X 6.0
Callaway Apex MB 7-PW - Project X 6.0
Callaway MD4 50.08 - Project X 6.0
Callaway MD4 54.12 @ 55* DG S200
Vokey SM7 58.04 @ 59* DG S200
Odyssey Versa 1W 34"

This is a tough one for me. Technically my first purchase was my Bettinardi custom, but I started the design and process in October 2017 so that's more of a 2017 purchase in my eyes. First purchase in 2018 was a Vokey sm6 62*, but I'm keepin an eye on the g400 max and g40 LST heads.

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant