Wedge Shafts

scottc25

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play Ctaper 120s in my irons and modus 3 120x in my wedges (pw shafts, not the modus3 wedge shafts). I like the stiffer wedge shafts for more control, but they seem just a tad on the harsh side. From what I hear, most pros who have X100, play S400 in their wedges. Heavier but softer, for more feel.

I've got x100's in my irons and PW & GW, s300 in my SW & LW.

I think I'm going to soft step x100's in all of my wedges next time.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56D & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist - Pro V1

I just got fit for new irons with a modus 105 stiff, so I tried to match wedges with those.

I got a 105 wedge on my 52 and 115 wedge on the 58 which seems to be working out pretty well. The added weight in the higher loft helps with stability, but I'm loving the lighter shaft on the 52 for full shots.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Everyone is different. I love x stiff and heavier graphite shafts in my woods....but i've realized i play better with lighter wedge shafts. Better feel, touch, spin. I think it really depends on how you play. If you're someone who only wants to hit wedges full - you'll probably prefer the heavier shafts. If you're someone who prefers hitting half shots and trying to flight the ball with wedges - lighter might be better.

X100s to s400s to wedge flex

and I actually have spinner shafts in my 56 and 60 now.....

based on this forum I think I am the 1% that actually don't mind them. (wiggle wiggle wiggle)

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I play S400s in my wedges and they have been a great improvement over the stock wedge fkex S200s. I really think the determining factor has to do with how you play your wedges. I hit mine (on purpose) low and penetrating. I play with a lot of guys that hit their wedges really high, even on 50-70 yard shots. I also never hit full wedges, except very rarely with my 50*. The S400 has allowed me to bring my flight down a significant amount, and has really helped me stop ballooning shots into the wind.

I have always matched wedge with iron shafts. All the OEMs I have been to all recommended it.

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

play Modus3 105x in my irons but x100 in my wedges. really like the ball flight.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

C-Taper 130's in my irons, 125 in my gap wedge an KBS 610's in my 56 and 60.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I'm hitting the project X LZ 6.5s in my irons and s200 in my 52 and 56. My wedges go super high and i can not get them down. will the s400 help me get the flight down?

Titleist TSI3 10* / Ventus black 6X 
Titleist Hybrid 818 / Tensei white 90X
Titleist T-100 3-P / Modus tour 130X
Titleist SM8 chrome 50/10 wedge
Titleist SM8 chrome 54/14 wedge
Titleist SM8 black 60/8 wedge
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. My 50* is a full swing club for me but I will occasionally pull out the 54* in place of a 2 iron so I sometimes need to play softer shots. Thinking i might try S300 for something a touch stronger than stock.

There are generally four ways you find the wedge shafts you like:

1. Identical to your iron shafts (a lot of tour players)

2. One flex up but maintain launch by using an 8 iron shaft. So you would shaft with x3 (or whatever it is) 8 iron shafts. Tough to find these above x100 for dynamic gold, but some do it this way (Jason Day).

3. One flex softer but heavier. For you, this would be the s400 (a lot of tour players). However, there is basically no difference between the s400 and the s200 unless you get tour issue to make sure the weight is correct. They are only 7 grams apart.

4. The meant-for-wedge shaft of your iron shaft maker. For you, the DG Spinner (Dufner).

1 and 3 are by far the most popular, but those are generally the framework. I'm not sure exactly why you would try the s300. The people telling you to play that shaft don't play x100s, so its pretty irrelevant to you and the s200 and s300 are pretty much exactly the same thing.

The only difference between the s200 you have now and the s300 is 3 grams (127 to 130). It will make literally no difference. The s400 goes to 7 grams (127 versus 134). The s400 and the s200 will feel identical. If you don't like the s200 you are wasting your time trying the 300 or 400. Try either straight x100s or the spinner or an x3 8 iron if you can find it.

The shafts are literally the same. They sort them by weight at the factory, the lightest are s200s, the middle are s300s and the heaviest are s400s. They do this so they don't have to maintain super-tight control on weight in their most popular line - stiff.

I play S400s in my wedges and they have been a great improvement over the stock wedge fkex S200s. I really think the determining factor has to do with how you play your wedges. I hit mine (on purpose) low and penetrating. I play with a lot of guys that hit their wedges really high, even on 50-70 yard shots. I also never hit full wedges, except very rarely with my 50*. The S400 has allowed me to bring my flight down a significant amount, and has really helped me stop ballooning shots into the wind.

I'm not saying it is impossible (because it isn't) but you have to have pretty incredible technique to notice 7 grams of weight bringing down your flight "a significant amount". Its absolutely possible for it to make a difference to a very highly skilled player, but for 99% of golfers s200 and s400 are the same shaft. There are probably less than 100 people on these boards who could tell the difference between an off the rack s200 and s400 in a blind test. There is no way I could tell the difference and I'm a decent player.

Everyone is different. I love x stiff and heavier graphite shafts in my woods....but i've realized i play better with lighter wedge shafts.

Same. Its all about feel at the end of the day with the wedges. All about feel. None of these are set in stone rules. If it feels right, its right, even if its wrong! That said, its tough to convince me some of the posters here can tell the difference between a 127 and 130 gram shaft, nevermind call it "significant".

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I debated this forever and ended up going with option 1 as posted above. Going from a X-Flex down to Wedge flex was just too much of a jump and just could not control the trajectory and dispersion as well as having the appropriate shaft. I agree, took me awhile to get over the heavier feel. Definitely felt like a little less feed back around the greens, but feel its more than worth it on the control with the half and full shots.

It's all personal preference, but its very common to see most players play 1 flex less in their wedges compared to their irons. Only way to find out what works for you is to try them all. S200, S300, S400, etc...

Based on your setup currently, I would highly doubt you would notice any beneficial differences if you changed your wedge shafts out.

I'm not saying it is impossible (because it isn't) but you have to have pretty incredible technique to notice 7 grams of weight bringing down your flight "a significant amount". Its absolutely possible for it to make a difference to a very highly skilled player, but for 99% of golfers s200 and s400 are the same shaft. There are probably less than 100 people on these boards who could tell the difference between an off the rack s200 and s400 in a blind test. There is no way I could tell the difference and I'm a decent player.

That's fair. A significant amount would be incorrect. But it has certainly lowered my flight into the wind, especially on fuller shots. I keep an updated average of my last ten "good" shots with each club, and my current numbers with my normal (80-85%) 54* are:

Carry Dist.

Club Speed

Ball Speed

Smash

Spin (rpm)

Launch Ang.

Height (ft)

Even if there is no difference with the s200s, there is no way I'm changing anything about those numbers--they are ideal for me.

** Sorry for all the editing. I have no clue how to insert pictures or rows from excel.

I play steelfiber 95 stiff in the irons but X100 8 iron shaft in 55/60 wedges. Much prefer the heavier feel on wedges. For me it’s much more difficult to decelerate on delicate shots with this setup.

In the past I’ve owned speciality wedge shafts from all the main companies. I never saw any appreciable difference except for the special wedge shafts being more expensive. So back to X100 I went and I hit full shots in my 55/60. Try to limit 60 to 90 yds and 55 to max of 110 in the right conditions.

That's fair. A significant amount would be incorrect. But it has certainly lowered my flight into the wind, especially on fuller shots. I keep an updated average of my last ten "good" shots with each club, and my current numbers with my normal (80-85%) 54* are:

Even if there is no difference with the s200s, there is no way I'm changing anything about those numbers--they are ideal for me.

** Sorry for all the editing. I have no clue how to insert pictures or rows from excel.

Those are good numbers. A lot of people, especially those who change equipment, fall into the false continuum fallacy. Basically, if you are working on your game (testing shots, playing, etc..) you are getting better over time. So at day 1 you are at N skill level and at day 30 you are at N + X skill level - you are better later, because we improve over time. So since you switched *from* the s200 *to* the s400, you think the shaft made the difference when you actually have no idea because you haven't isolated the time variable. If you got better during the time with the s200 and continued to improve while gaming the s400, you'd look back and be "worse" with the s200 and "better" with the s400, but not because of the shaft simply because of the order in which you experimented with the shafts. Beginning players are much more likely to think equipment matters because they improve quickly, and incorrectly think they are better "with" driver X when in reality their just better after a year of playing than six months and their new driver got in their hands after a year.

The only way for you to know is to go back and play the s200s for a few weeks now, at your current skill level. I'd bet your numbers would be identical, but who knows.

Pro tip: don't actually do this. Those numbers are sick, just go with it. I'm just saying that since we try new equipment after we've been playing golf for longer, anyone whose game hasn't plateau'd can get fooled into think the equipment matters when if they switched it (tried old equip second and new equip first, when they were worse) they'd hit opposite conclusion.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I am playing PX 6.5 in all my irons to include the wedges (50, 54, 58), I re-shafted all my clubs from X100 Tout Issue to the PX 6.5, the X100s were a bit too spinny for me...loved the feel, great shaft no doubt, but when the ball starts to balloon a bit on the longer irons and spinning 7i down off the green it became an issue, the PX lowered the flight and spin with my swing, funny thing is that the X100s were 130g vs the PX 6.5 at 125...go figure...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

funny thing is that the X100s were 130g vs the PX 6.5 at 125...go figure...

Weight as measured on a scale i just one element to how heavy the club feels in your hands. Depending to complete configuration, a shaft that weighs more on a scale can feel lighter and vice-versa. PX 6.5 is a helluva shaft.

I can't even imagine spinning a seven iron off the green with an x100 in it. That's insane.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

funny thing is that the X100s were 130g vs the PX 6.5 at 125...go figure...

Weight as measured on a scale i just one element to how heavy the club feels in your hands. Depending to complete configuration, a shaft that weighs more on a scale can feel lighter and vice-versa. PX 6.5 is a helluva shaft.

I can't even imagine spinning a seven iron off the green with an x100 in it. That's insane.

I hear ya!!!!, I have a very aggressive transition that creates a lot of spin, from my fitting with Ping, I need a heavier stiffer shaft in order to bring accuracy and control, that said, I was fitted for the X100s, C-Taper 130x and 6.5s, I opted for the X100s first (I have the 130x in my TA Prototypes) to give them a try, but that only lasted a few months, changing to the 6.5 helped me a lot, they do have a different bend profile and weight distribution, I use the B330S for the most part and do spin quite a bit, but they feel so good, with the iBlades the 6.5s are just great for me..

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Those are good numbers. A lot of people, especially those who change equipment, fall into the false continuum fallacy. Basically, if you are working on your game (testing shots, playing, etc..) you are getting better over time. So at day 1 you are at N skill level and at day 30 you are at N + X skill level - you are better later, because we improve over time. So since you switched *from* the s200 *to* the s400, you think the shaft made the difference when you actually have no idea because you haven't isolated the time variable. If you got better during the time with the s200 and continued to improve while gaming the s400, you'd look back and be "worse" with the s200 and "better" with the s400, but not because of the shaft simply because of the order in which you experimented with the shafts. Beginning players are much more likely to think equipment matters because they improve quickly, and incorrectly think they are better "with" driver X when in reality their just better after a year of playing than six months and their new driver got in their hands after a year.

The only way for you to know is to go back and play the s200s for a few weeks now, at your current skill level. I'd bet your numbers would be identical, but who knows.

Pro tip: don't actually do this. Those numbers are sick, just go with it. I'm just saying that since we try new equipment after we've been playing golf for longer, anyone whose game hasn't plateau'd can get fooled into think the equipment matters when if they switched it (tried old equip second and new equip first, when they were worse) they'd hit opposite conclusion.

Except for the cases where there is an immediate and measurable improvement???

I had a "fitted" M1 with a hazrdous x flex shaft, to lower spin. It worked, mostly.

I did a full fitting on trackman and of course part of the process is to set a bar with your gamer. I can't find the spreadsheet but gamer numbers were bad not great.

SS was 108 - 110

Launch was 14

Ball speed was 155avg

Spin was 2800+

Carry was 250 - 255

Was fitted into a GBB Epic (not SZ) with a Tour AD M9003 6s

SS was 109

Launch was 13

Ball speed jumped to 162

Spin dropped to 2300

Carry went to 270 and even got 1 that I nutted that carried 278!!!

Clearly I was in a shaft / head combo that was clearly not suited to my ability and the gear change was instantaneous.

I agree with your statement bc one of my buddies can hit just about any club, but there are exceptions.

For the record. I go from a 3 - 5 HC depending on season and how much I praxtice. Moving forward, I will be do 3rd party fittings for all clubs on trackman. I like the confirmation and the confidence it gives me!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. My 50* is a full swing club for me but I will occasionally pull out the 54* in place of a 2 iron so I sometimes need to play softer shots. Thinking i might try S300 for something a touch stronger than stock.

There are generally four ways you find the wedge shafts you like:

1. Identical to your iron shafts (a lot of tour players)

2. One flex up but maintain launch by using an 8 iron shaft. So you would shaft with x3 (or whatever it is) 8 iron shafts. Tough to find these above x100 for dynamic gold, but some do it this way (Jason Day).

3. One flex softer but heavier. For you, this would be the s400 (a lot of tour players). However, there is basically no difference between the s400 and the s200 unless you get tour issue to make sure the weight is correct. They are only 7 grams apart.

4. The meant-for-wedge shaft of your iron shaft maker. For you, the DG Spinner (Dufner).

1 and 3 are by far the most popular, but those are generally the framework. I'm not sure exactly why you would try the s300. The people telling you to play that shaft don't play x100s, so its pretty irrelevant to you and the s200 and s300 are pretty much exactly the same thing.

The only difference between the s200 you have now and the s300 is 3 grams (127 to 130). It will make literally no difference. The s400 goes to 7 grams (127 versus 134). The s400 and the s200 will feel identical. If you don't like the s200 you are wasting your time trying the 300 or 400. Try either straight x100s or the spinner or an x3 8 iron if you can find it.

The shafts are literally the same. They sort them by weight at the factory, the lightest are s200s, the middle are s300s and the heaviest are s400s. They do this so they don't have to maintain super-tight control on weight in their most popular line - stiff.

Everyone is different. I love x stiff and heavier graphite shafts in my woods....but i've realized i play better with lighter wedge shafts.

Same. Its all about feel at the end of the day with the wedges. All about feel. None of these are set in stone rules. If it feels right, its right, even if its wrong! That said, its tough to convince me some of the posters here can tell the difference between a 127 and 130 gram shaft, nevermind call it "significant".

not only tell the difference but good chance the shafts don't even weigh what they think they weigh......I have weighed several s300 and s200 wedge shafts and they were all over the map.....and some overlapped (S200 should have had S300 label and vice versa)

If you don't physically weigh or check loft/lie you don't really know....i was amazed how far off pieces of equip were....but sometimes ignorance is more blissful....seriously not knowing and just playing is better answer, lol

Right on the money post.....couldnt have said it better