2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Dogs

calc61

• 2 weeks later...

I’m owned by a Harlequin Great Dane by the name of Jarhead. He will be 3 years old on the 4th of July. As of Feb. 1 he weighs 168lbs.

I’ve attached a favorite picture of him as a puppy next to an old bag of mine with the sunset in the background. One photo of Lord knows how many, that I actually think is pretty darn cool.

Great Danes have such a need for attention and affection or just contact with humans. This in turn makes them pretty tolerable of toddlers and younger children. They don’t mind the kid who doesn’t stop holding and hugging on them. Great family dogs that unfortunately don’t have a long lifespan. Eight to ten years is typically given as the average. Which is extremely short in comparison to other breeds.

They’re loveable gentle giants that bless us with so much in very little time. As long as I’m able to afford them, I will never be ‘owned’ by any other breed. ;)

Here he is next to a ‘small’ 119lb female Dane. Small in comparison to him is all. Merle with mantle markings is what her coat is.

Last picture shows I was crazy enough to have three Danes in the family at once.

Beautiful dogs! Haven't read through all the post and don't mean to alarm you or anyone else.

Had a beautiful block head english lab named Prince who we tragically lost to a thing called the bloat.

It's something dogs with big barrelled chest are risk with after they eat a meal. What happens is the stomach becomes detached from the chest and flips like a balloon. My boy always wanted to wrestle unfortunately this was right after he ate on this occasion

And his stomach was full. I had no idea, happened within 24 hrs he was gone.

I don't mean to alarm anyone it's just something I wished I had knowledge of.

That was 5yrs ago and I think about him all the time. Love my new crazy dogs ( vizslas) Bruno & his half breed son georigo.

Beautiful dogs! Haven't read through all the post and don't mean to alarm you or anyone else.

Had a beautiful block head english lab named Prince who we tragically lost to a thing called the bloat.

It's something dogs with big barrelled chest are risk with after they eat a meal. What happens is the stomach becomes detached from the chest and flips like a balloon. My boy always wanted to wrestle unfortunately this was right after he ate on this occasion

And his stomach was full. I had no idea, happened within 24 hrs he was gone.

I don't mean to alarm anyone it's just something I wished I had knowledge of.

That was 5yrs ago and I think about him all the time. Love my new crazy dogs ( vizslas) Bruno & his half breed son georigo.

Yes one of the big medical expenses for Danes that I only had read about while researching the breed prior to ever having one. Huge chest cavity and torso with empty or negative space allows for the stomach to flip on itself. Hip dysplaxia being another big one among others.

In 2011 Mufasa somehow found a wood chip from a neighbors landscape in our yard. He was chewing and gnawing on it for some time apparently, then decided it was small enough to eat whole. It was only the size of a half dollar but about 3/4 inch thick. We weren’t home and only returned in time to notice he was not walking right. Within the hour I noticed his stomach and torso were beginning to swell or bloat. The muscles in the stomach work so mightily to break down and pass the obstruction that it flips the stomach on itself, then trapping gases that lead to the bloating. We rushed to the vet for a consult. We knew more than likely he needed the surgery which attaches a portion of stomach to one side of torso. After a few deadlifts of the poor guy to move him from one rooom to another, he gave me a look I’ll never forget. Thankful in case it was the end but also hopeful the surgery would relieve him of his pain. He went on to live another 5 yrs post surgery. A great 11 yrs for Mufasa who is the merle furthest from the camera in the shot with 3 pups.

My advice on this would be to have the procedure completed as a prevention method when or if you elect to have your Dane spayed/neutered.Vet will have them opened up anyhow and can stitch it all pretty easily making bloat a non-factor.

I know about bloat (or torsion) in large breed dogs. I lost a great German Shepherd show dog to torsion. It was the hardest thing I ever had to go through with a dog. It "usually" happens after the dog has eaten. My Shepherd bloated, then the stomach turned. My vet was very well-versed in this & performed surgery within 24 hours. My dog recovered and had another wonderful six month, then succumbed again. Owners of large breed dogs need to be cautious after feeding the dog, and do not allow vigorous exercise right after a meal. At the very first signs of bloat the dog needs to get to an emergency clinic immediately...time is of the essence.

Our pups at Sea Pines on Hilton Head last year.... Sam (Black Lab/Pointer Mix) and Ronin (Hound/Yellow Lab mix... both rescues) just love the beach and running. :)

38503651531_6a56a64bf2_b.jpg

IMG_4629 by Keith Casey, on Flickr

26727619589_1d4c2406c3_b.jpg

IMG_4683 by Keith Casey, on Flickr

26727612809_f40084b397_b.jpg

IMG_4718 by Keith Casey, on Flickr

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Honu, he loves hiking. In fact the tougher the trail gets the more he enjoys it. absolutely loves boulder hoping. One of our last hikes we took a little break next to a big boulder that was about 5 feet high next thing I know little dude decides to scale the thing and get to the top. His sister, not so much she is a sprinter not an endurance dog and a bit too much of a diva to enjoy it like Honu

DS-ltL0V4AAvshR.jpg

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

In December, we went to the pound to rescue a dog, and my wife fell in love with one. She is some kind of terrier mix. Almost looks like something mixed with Schnauzer. I wanted a big dog, but she insisted on Mila (named her when she saw her). She was not up for adoption yet, as they had just picked her up. A few days later, under protest from me, we went back, I went into the kennel and picked her up. Since that day, that dog has been glued to my hip.

Mila is the diva type. She is the princess, and she wants you to know it. She cant be bothered to do certain things, and if one of the dogs is in the recliner with me, she will sit at the foot of the chair and give a howly bark till the other dog gets down so she can claim her spot. When we put the food down, she runs up and eats all of the chewy bits, leaving the hard crunchy bits (presumably with less flavor) for the other dogs. She is also rather lazy.

So, I have been out of town working for the last 2 weeks. When I got home, I noticed Mila looked a little skinny. She's quite shaggy, but I've been looking at her for 10 years. My wife (not the same one mentioned above, I got remarried last year) did not notice because she just doesn't pick her up much. I reached down and picked her up, and she just felt emaciated. Her spine was sticking out, her ribs and hips were all very noticeably there. She felt like a malnourished dog. My wife said she had been eating, drinking, and using the bathroom like normal. We took her to the vet, they ran some tests and said her blood counts were out of whack, so they did x-rays. Her spleen is more than double the size it should be, and her lungs and chest cavity are riddled with tumors. I'm devastated. To say I'm attached is an understatement. When my first wife and I split, I took her with me. Then, after our divorce my ex passed away, and I inherited all 4 of the dogs. I rehomed 2 (one to my sister and one to a long time friend of my ex), and brought the other 2 to my new wife's house (we weren't even living together at that point). She has become really attached to both of them, and we are heartbroken. The vet gave her a steroid shot to help with her choppy breathing, and gave us some meds to try to fight the infection, but basically all we can do is try to make her comfortable until the end. If she starts showing signs of suffering, I will have no choice but to put her down. I cant watch her suffer. For now, she is a little lethargic, and she is skinny, but otherwise she is showing no real signs of distress.

In December, we went to the pound to rescue a dog, and my wife fell in love with one. She is some kind of terrier mix. Almost looks like something mixed with Schnauzer. I wanted a big dog, but she insisted on Mila (named her when she saw her). She was not up for adoption yet, as they had just picked her up. A few days later, under protest from me, we went back, I went into the kennel and picked her up. Since that day, that dog has been glued to my hip.

Mila is the diva type. She is the princess, and she wants you to know it. She cant be bothered to do certain things, and if one of the dogs is in the recliner with me, she will sit at the foot of the chair and give a howly bark till the other dog gets down so she can claim her spot. When we put the food down, she runs up and eats all of the chewy bits, leaving the hard crunchy bits (presumably with less flavor) for the other dogs. She is also rather lazy.

So, I have been out of town working for the last 2 weeks. When I got home, I noticed Mila looked a little skinny. She's quite shaggy, but I've been looking at her for 10 years. My wife (not the same one mentioned above, I got remarried last year) did not notice because she just doesn't pick her up much. I reached down and picked her up, and she just felt emaciated. Her spine was sticking out, her ribs and hips were all very noticeably there. She felt like a malnourished dog. My wife said she had been eating, drinking, and using the bathroom like normal. We took her to the vet, they ran some tests and said her blood counts were out of whack, so they did x-rays. Her spleen is more than double the size it should be, and her lungs and chest cavity are riddled with tumors. I'm devastated. To say I'm attached is an understatement. When my first wife and I split, I took her with me. Then, after our divorce my ex passed away, and I inherited all 4 of the dogs. I rehomed 2 (one to my sister and one to a long time friend of my ex), and brought the other 2 to my new wife's house (we weren't even living together at that point). She has become really attached to both of them, and we are heartbroken. The vet gave her a steroid shot to help with her choppy breathing, and gave us some meds to try to fight the infection, but basically all we can do is try to make her comfortable until the end. If she starts showing signs of suffering, I will have no choice but to put her down. I cant watch her suffer. For now, she is a little lethargic, and she is skinny, but otherwise she is showing no real signs of distress.

Sounds like you're doing what's best for your girl, & that's all you can do. Yes, it hurts like Hell, I know, and is really hard to watch. She will be grateful to you for not letting her suffer, even though you will be suffering greatly. My vet told me once there's only one thing worse than putting them down too early, & it's putting them down too late. I'm so sad for you....

It is nice to see so many dog loving golfers. Bigred, I feel your pain. My two mutts are my best friends and I had to put the black one down this past Sunday. He was a real mutt with some Great Dane, Lab, and Pitbull blood for sure; and who knows what else. Bone cancer got the best of him. We were lucky to get the 8-9 years we got with him. I told my wife years ago we could have kids when Riley dies. Well, we figure the cancer started not too long after we found out she was pregnant. Haven't been able to go five minutes without thinking about that dog. Never thought I would be so attached to an animal. Buried him out on the golf course at Quail Prairie. Going to plant a tree on top of him so he can help keep my ball from going out of bounds.

Anyways, the only negative to owning pets is putting them down.

Guys, my eyes are tearing up as I type.. I lost my girl about 18 months ago and it still hurts. Just know how much love you gave them and how much they gave it right back. We have a plaque in our bedroom with our girls birth and death dates to remind us of her. It is a tough day when you lose them, but it is a fact of life. They bring so much joy, I am so sorry, it will hurt for quite some time but time does heal. We now have a 1 year old Catahoula that is flying around the house. We forgot what it was like to have a puppy, lots of work again.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

Well, I am sad to report Mila took her last breath at around 6:00 Sunday morning.

Over the week we had been giving her the meds the vet gave her, and she seemed to be feeling better. She hadn't put on any weight, but we didn't figure she would. My wife took her for a walk Friday evening, and she was quite spunky, running and just being her usual self. Saturday, she was spent most of the day just kind of laying around, like she has lately, so nothing really different. Around 1:00am, I was getting up to go to bed and I was putting them outside to go to the bathroom before they went to their kennels for the night. She got up to walk to the door, and about 3/4 of the way there her feet just went out from under her and she couldn't stand up. I picked her up and put her in my lap and sat on the floor with her for about 45 minutes, and she just laid there. She tried to get up eventually and again she just fell over. When I picked her up to put her in her bed, she was completely limp, but she was awake. I put her in her bed and laid on the floor with her for about 30 minutes then went and woke my wife up. I knew she wouldn't make it much longer. We scooted her bed over by the couch and both fell asleep on the couch with her next to us. Around 6:00 she lifted her head and looked around (according to my wife, I was asleep), looked up at me, laid back down and a few short quick breaths later, she just quit breathing. She is now buried in the back yard in her spot that she would go to chat with the neighbors dog through the fence.

This is Mila when I first got her in early 08

This is her and Foxy when foxy was just a baby

These are about 2 years old before I moved in with my wife

This was 9 days ago.

Foxy seems to be ok. We let her come and sniff around and see Mila before we buried her. If it could help for her to understand why Mila isn't around anymore, I wanted her to have that. I know dogs grieve as well, so maybe it could provide her some kind of closure too.

Well, I am sad to report Mila took her last breath at around 6:00 Sunday morning.

Over the week we had been giving her the meds the vet gave her, and she seemed to be feeling better. She hadn't put on any weight, but we didn't figure she would. My wife took her for a walk Friday evening, and she was quite spunky, running and just being her usual self. Saturday, she was spent most of the day just kind of laying around, like she has lately, so nothing really different. Around 1:00am, I was getting up to go to bed and I was putting them outside to go to the bathroom before they went to their kennels for the night. She got up to walk to the door, and about 3/4 of the way there her feet just went out from under her and she couldn't stand up. I picked her up and put her in my lap and sat on the floor with her for about 45 minutes, and she just laid there. She tried to get up eventually and again she just fell over. When I picked her up to put her in her bed, she was completely limp, but she was awake. I put her in her bed and laid on the floor with her for about 30 minutes then went and woke my wife up. I knew she wouldn't make it much longer. We scooted her bed over by the couch and both fell asleep on the couch with her next to us. Around 6:00 she lifted her head and looked around (according to my wife, I was asleep), looked up at me, laid back down and a few short quick breaths later, she just quit breathing. She is now buried in the back yard in her spot that she would go to chat with the neighbors dog through the fence.

This is Mila when I first got her in early 08

This is her and Foxy when foxy was just a baby

These are about 2 years old before I moved in with my wife

This was 9 days ago.

Foxy seems to be ok. We let her come and sniff around and see Mila before we buried her. If it could help for her to understand why Mila isn't around anymore, I wanted her to have that. I know dogs grieve as well, so maybe it could provide her some kind of closure too.

You & your wife both know you did all you could for her, you loved her, & gave her a good life. I'm sure she went to the Rainbow Bridge a happy girl.

• 8 months later...

Well after waiting over a year, I finally got my buddy yesterday. Purebred silver Weimeraner. Smartest pup I have ever been around, I have had him for just over 24 hours and he's already crying at my slider when he needs to go to the bathroom outside.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

I'm so glad this turned into a post your pictures thread. Me and the wife both had dogs growing up and decided to get a pup as a wedding present to ourselves. Shes a English x American bulldog. Crazy how much positive impact dogs can have on your life. I'll try and post a few pictures once I get to a computer.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Bigred. Hopefully Foxy finds comfort in all the extra attention she gets until the day her next new best friend is brought home. :)

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Also latest pic of the puppy - 18 months old in a couple days - coming along great!

Just updating the dog threads, love to see other folks' pups and how they are coming along!

Nice looking bird dog there!! I miss the pheasant hunt so much. I used to go to North Dakota with a friend who’s brother lived up there and we had the run of the county. Unfortunately, the friendship faded over time and I haven’t been out in probably 8 years. Here in Nebraska there is so little land to hunt unless you know a landowner and even then the birds are few to be found.

I'm picking up a beagle puppy on Saturday. Will update with pics!

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Aldila Tour Green 75TX

3 Wood: PING G425 LST | Fuji Ventus Black 8X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 | DG TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

• 10 months later...