Golf Logix 5.2 Now with Putt Breaks, Green Maps

I've been using the Golf Logix app for years, even though I have a rangefinder. I use it mostly for stats and to see how holes will play out, especially on new courses. I have emailed them multiple times asking them to think about adding some extra features like distance from the hole on approaches, distances on missed and made putts, and a few other things. For some reason they won't allow that. Still, a really good app.

They just came out with an update on the app. The main new features are that they have topographical putting maps, pretty similar to what the pros use. They actually tell you where you should place your approach depending on where you put the pin, what direction the greens slope, and how many inches you have to putt up to or down to. So I'm assuming you can track your putts a lot better now if they compile this info. I'm not sure where they are getting their topographical green maps from, but it looks really nice. It's $30 a year, but there's only once course in the Chicagoland area that I can find that has putt break availability right now. You can request them to do the courses you play. I already did a bunch and if they load the ones I play, I'll probably get it.

What do you think about it?

37019758710_1e5dd0a2ed_b.jpg

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Indian Lakes has the putt breaks when that course is closed. Are they using satellites to get the maps or sending a guy out with a laser? Golf Logix wouldn’t say how.

Ping Vault Arna

They are almost certainly doing it via some pre-existing dataset, don't you think? It would take a *lot* of $30/year subscriptions to cover the cost of actual "boots on the ground" surveying of just one set of 18 greens. That would be like a full days work plus equipment and getting to/from the course.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably buy the app once my BeBrassie sub runs out. Love Bebrassie for it's mathematical stat calculations, but the accuracy of the GPS isn't awesome and the app/program overall is clunky kind of. Doesn't give any slope... doesn't sync up with any weather apps to try and give prevailing wind or speed (not that I really need that...), but if this green slope stuff is legit, this could pretty much be the holy grail of golf apps since almost none of the courses I've ever played give any type of clue as to the breaks. Only 1 fancy private club did, and it was really basic such as "hole #1, green slopes left to right, ridge 8 from the front".

I was actually really surprised - it was incredibly accurate. Some putts that I thought were straight and the app said a hair of left to right, the app was right. The app won’t tell you degree of slope up or down or left to right, but it will tell you inches.

That was just my first impression. More courses are being added and I want to know how they got their maps too.

Ping Vault Arna

Damn, wish I knew that before I paid for the upgrade. The list on their website isn't exactly forthcoming with what courses have their greens mapped out, just which ones are mapped in general.

You can check on the app. Do a course search and the app will tell you if it has putt breaks. If a course doesn’t have putt breaks, you can request it.

Ping Vault Arna

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this article by Guy Yocom. From my limited experience, Golf Logix's green-reading maps were incredibly accurate. The article doesn't say for sure if they are getting their maps from Tour Sherpa or StrackaLine though.

"Commercially, the most innovative offering is presented through GolfLogix, for years a well-known player in the mobile GPS yardage-guide market. Through its app, GolfLogix recently launched access to green maps of close to 1,500 courses, and plans on bringing the number to 10,000 by 2018. Users can view green contours on the green and from a fairway perspective. Access to the maps will cost $49.99, though PGA club pros will get them for free on request. "They're fun to use and are going to save you strokes," says Pete Charleston, president of GolfLogix. "But one aspect we're excited about is how they'll speed up play." https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gimme-a-break-green-reading-maps

I did think it slowed down my play though. Gotta get out the phone, place the cup in the right place, and then place the flag (which is a little cumbersome to do). For the app to be really accurate, the pins have to be coordinated between the course and the app. I have also emailed Golf Logix multiple times to be able to make available more strokes gained-type stats, but they won't do it for some dumb reason. It would really be the ultimate app if they could do that.

Ping Vault Arna

Is there an - easy to use - option to print out the green maps before a round? To me that in itself would almost be worth the price of the app. I hate having my phone out and fiddling with it during the round but if I could print out a green sheet beforehand...that would be fantastic.

I say easy to use - as opposed to taking 18 screen shots and printing out 18 different files etc.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Is there an - easy to use - option to print out the green maps before a round? To me that in itself would almost be worth the price of the app. I hate having my phone out and fiddling with it during the round but if I could print out a green sheet beforehand...that would be fantastic.

I say easy to use - as opposed to taking 18 screen shots and printing out 18 different files etc.

The app sends you a warning if you screen grab it and will disable your account if you do it a second time

Ping Vault Arna

• 3 months later...

I tired this app today and it seemed to slow my play down more than normal. I started just using the approach and having a general idea of where the slope is and play my shots accordingly. Maybe with more use I'll get use to this app and be able to use it in a speedier manner. The app does have many pop-ups which can be disabled that slow it down considerably. I think app could finally bump my golfshot plus out the picture but I'll have to have more experience with it.

I tired this app today and it seemed to slow my play down more than normal. I started just using the approach and having a general idea of where the slope is and play my shots accordingly. Maybe with more use I'll get use to this app and be able to use it in a speedier manner. The app does have many pop-ups which can be disabled that slow it down considerably. I think app could finally bump my golfshot plus out the picture but I'll have to have more experience with it.

You are right that it definitely slowed down my play too

Ping Vault Arna

I want to buy this but on initial check, they only have about 50% of the courses I play. Like others say, could slow down play a bit..

The course list is growing and I requested all the ones I want to play, but they need more near me for me to but the putt breaks

Ping Vault Arna

I requested all the courses I play that they didn't have... I bought the free trial and used it. It was cool but I think the putt break is the thing of interest. I think you can sign up for alerts or something? Like if they add PB for your course, they send you an email saying they've now got it there.

It's not hard... just put the flag and ball in the general spots. Only tough part could be if your ball is in the rear part of green and you're looking out toward fairway, as I think all the orientations of the green on your screen put the fairway toward the bottom (so you'd be looking from the opposite side).

I requested all the courses I play that they didn't have... I bought the free trial and used it. It was cool but I think the putt break is the thing of interest. I think you can sign up for alerts or something? Like if they add PB for your course, they send you an email saying they've now got it there.

Yes, they sent me an email once my requested course got added.

Do we know what technology they are using to map the greens?

Ping Vault Arna

To start, green maps are modern technology at its most advanced, on a par with launch monitors, swing-analysis tools and club and ball technology. The process begins by placing an optical scanning laser directly on or close to the green. Some scanners cost about $120,000 and are used to take impressions of oil rigs, industrial spaces and even car-accident scenes. The unit shoots a laser beam at a mirror that is spinning rapidly within the housing of the device. Millions of beams, reflected by the mirror, are projected onto the landscape of the green, scanning as the device rotates to encompass the entire surface. As each beam is redirected at the green, it is measured precisely. Very precisely. Minute differences in height are measured and fed into storage. Typically, three million to four million bits of data are collected, all in the 10 minutes it takes to scan a green.

I would assume something very similar to this.

Yes, they sent me an email once my requested course got added.

Do we know what technology they are using to map the greens?

It would necessarily have to be lidar to get anything of sufficient resolution to be useful.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

To start, green maps are modern technology at its most advanced, on a par with launch monitors, swing-analysis tools and club and ball technology. The process begins by placing an optical scanning laser directly on or close to the green. Some scanners cost about $120,000 and are used to take impressions of oil rigs, industrial spaces and even car-accident scenes. The unit shoots a laser beam at a mirror that is spinning rapidly within the housing of the device. Millions of beams, reflected by the mirror, are projected onto the landscape of the green, scanning as the device rotates to encompass the entire surface. As each beam is redirected at the green, it is measured precisely. Very precisely. Minute differences in height are measured and fed into storage. Typically, three million to four million bits of data are collected, all in the 10 minutes it takes to scan a green.

If this gadget’s makers are sending crews around to do the laser survey of every green on thousands of course I’ll be gobsmacked. The cost would be exorbitant.

If this gadget’s makers are sending crews around to do the laser survey of every green on thousands of course I’ll be gobsmacked. The cost would be exorbitant.

Probably buying the data from someone else. I asked Golf Logix and they wouldn’t tell me.

Ping Vault Arna

If this gadget's makers are sending crews around to do the laser survey of every green on thousands of course I'll be gobsmacked. The cost would be exorbitant.

Probably buying the data from someone else. I asked Golf Logix and they wouldn't tell me.

If they are buying the data, and Skycaddie always makes a big deal about how they map a course in person for years and years. Don't you think they would have that same data? If not, and that data existed wouldn't Skycaddie have bought it? Dunno. I don't care if you play around with the flag and ball position on the green, this is epic if you want to see green contours for approach shots.