2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

I hate this site... the one part of my bag that I wasn't planning to touch was my irons, but after reading this thread they might not be safe.

My main concern is the 4/5/6 irons. I currently have approx 10 yard gaps at 195, 205, 215 (on good swings, including the roll). I'm worried that those will all end up bunched between 190-205 and I'll end up needing to replace the 4i with a King Utility or hybrid that can get up into that 210+ range.

My other concern is that multiple people have commented about how high their wedges go. Playing here along the gulf coast it can get super windy, so I need to be able to control trajectory and wedge distance.

I love the idea of simplifying my limited practice time. I have also been working a lot on taking extra club and using 3/4 swings for better control, which seems like it would work even better with SL clubs. The simpler chipping approach also sounds great.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I had my 1st round with my F8 One Lengths yesterday, Saturday at Woodley Lakes, Los Angeles.

Conditions were perfect, just a slight breeze, sunny, not a cloud in the sky and around 80*. The city locals even threw in some spectacular fire displays, one was at a Recycling yard about 20 miles away with black, black smoke and another fire closeby around the Sepulveda area. Water dropping choppers added to the show and I could have pulled out a chair, drank some beer and enjoyed it all... but I had a round to play.

In summary, the F8 Tour Vs were fun to play with.

The Bad - I had to really think about the carry distances in my 4, 5 and 6 irons. SL relies on rolls especially on the low number irons to get its distances. I had no idea but in the end, it didn't really kill me. If anything, just having a much better and consistent contact made these irons FUN.

It took a little while for my mind to accept a chunkier head in the 4 and 5 irons and also a shorter length. Thats a 5 iron?

It took a while to figure out if I needed to swing harder cause it was shorter or not?

These are typical n00bi3 single length questions that I need to answer myself as I adapt.

The Good - how easy is it to hit a 7 iron? Very easy.

Really, I only used 4 irons for the round: my Mizuno FliHI 15.5* 1 iron that replaced my 3 wood, all (except 4 iron) F8 irons and my 2 wedges. It doesn't get simpler than that.

I played the 6 iron the most. My miss with them in my Anser was right. The F8 6 iron was spectacular. Here is one very memorable shot (Par 3 12th hole, off the Black tees) that had my 4some hollering:

40050595112_c30aea8d86_c.jpg

It flew over the junk, 12 ft from the hole, pin high. This hole usually killed me with my Anser.

One of the major issues I had with my Anser irons was the high ball flight, almost ballooning. It got to a point where I reshafted my Ansers with the x-flex 120 gram Tour Vs to bring the ball flight down (changed from KBS Tours stiffs) but these shafts, I have to operate at close to 90 to 100% full speed. The F8 with the softer (stiff flex) 110 gram Tour V seems to fit the bill. Ball flight were was definitely lower, just that nice trajectory I like to see. The difference in loft is only about 1*, as my Ansers are already 2* strong from standard.

The OL allowed me to hit more greens. Where I need to learn is to figure out what happens with the 3/4 shots.

Side note - I thought all the F8 faces were forged tec. Nope. The Forged cup face started at 7 iron to 4. However, I didn't have any quams with the cast PW to 8, it felt smooth and not clicky at all. Not as soft as the Anser but the Ansers were never ubber soft Forged irons (compared to MIzunos).

Overall I really like these, good start. Definitely needs more time and figuring out to do especially the carry distances, how hard to swing and ball positioning for the lower number irons.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I hate this site... the one part of my bag that I wasn't planning to touch was my irons, but after reading this thread they might not be safe.

My main concern is the 4/5/6 irons. I currently have approx 10 yard gaps at 195, 205, 215 (on good swings, including the roll). I'm worried that those will all end up bunched between 190-205 and I'll end up needing to replace the 4i with a King Utility or hybrid that can get up into that 210+ range.

My other concern is that multiple people have commented about how high their wedges go. Playing here along the gulf coast it can get super windy, so I need to be able to control trajectory and wedge distance.

I love the idea of simplifying my limited practice time. I have also been working a lot on taking extra club and using 3/4 swings for better control, which seems like it would work even better with SL clubs. The simpler chipping approach also sounds great.

I think over the last year I've been open and honest with people regarding SL irons.

I did notice bunching from 90 yards to 205. My LW obviously at 37.5 yards flew about 6 yards farther and each club from there went a little longer until the 5 iron. The higher yardage clubs flew a little lower so the 4-5 ended up going pretty much within a few yards of eachother.

Now with that being said I weighed the pros vs cons for :::my game::: I gladly took out the 4 iron for a hybrid because I was able to hit the 5-LW on target and solid more often.

If the gaps are perfect and you hit your long irons well, I don't know if you need to make the switch. If you were like me where you hit 4 good four irons, 4 crooked four irons and two duffs out of 10 then this might be the way to go. In the end for my game there was a measurable improvement of just under 6 percent GIR for the year. Sure the long irons flew a few yards lower but I hit more greens with them so I didnt really care. There was never one shot where I had to fly over a tree with a 5 iron. If that shot came up I took out a 6 or 7 and just ripped it harder like anyone would with a conventional set.

I think over the last year I've been open and honest with people regarding SL irons.

I did notice bunching from 90 yards to 205. My LW obviously at 37.5 yards flew about 6 yards farther and each club from there went a little longer until the 5 iron. The higher yardage clubs flew a little lower so the 4-5 ended up going pretty much within a few yards of eachother.

Now with that being said I weighed the pros vs cons for :::my game::: I gladly took out the 4 iron for a hybrid because I was able to hit the 5-LW on target and solid more often.

If the gaps are perfect and you hit your long irons well, I don't know if you need to make the switch. If you were like me where you hit 4 good four irons, 4 crooked four irons and two duffs out of 10 then this might be the way to go. In the end for my game there was a measurable improvement of just under 6 percent GIR for the year. Sure the long irons flew a few yards lower but I hit more greens with them so I didnt really care. There was never one shot where I had to fly over a tree with a 5 iron. If that shot came up I took out a 6 or 7 and just ripped it harder like anyone would with a conventional set.

So I'd say out of 10 4 irons, I make good contact with 8, hit one very fat, one very thin. Of those 8, 4 would hit a normal size green, one ugly hook, and 3 that float out to the right, but are within a club of the desired distance. So I could use help, but realistically I can live with 7 of those 10 shots (4 on, 3 right).

The real question for me is what distance I can afford to go for the green from and whether I should be attempting to hit greens from 220yds with an iron. If I changed clubs and my 4i is goes to 205 but I hit the green 7 times with 2 reasonable misses, I'd take that trade. But if my 4 iron starts topping out at 195, then that's a 6i and I can already hit 6/10 greens and 2 reasonable misses from that distance with my current 6i.

If the answer becomes irons below 200yds, hybrids/woods over that might be ok, it would just be a mental adjustment. I'd have to see some real accuracy improvement.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Don't hate me, but here is the review of my Edel SLS01 Fitting.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1566696-edel-sls-01-fitting-todayreviewresults/

It should address some of your concern with the 4-6 iron ball flight. I don't carry a 4 iron...I have a 19* and 22* hybrid, as I want the elevation on those shots. The short irons, do hit the ball higher, but you ARE able to flight your shots and control trajectory with very little practice.

I am ordering my irons on Valentine's Day.

Well, the curiosity bug bit me. Just ordered a set of Cobra King Forged One Length with the Nippon shafts 4-PW on 3balls for $360 shipped after a couple discounts. I figure at that price I should be able to break even selling them in a couple months if they don't work out for me since the Forged Ones seem to be trending around $450 on eBay.

I recently ordered the Cobra F8 One hybrid...with its length, I will get control from 200yds and will be able to use the hybrid around the greens. I love the swing of my 7 iron so this will work great.

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max, 10.5 deg,  UST Helium 5F3, Regula

5-Wood - Cobra LTDx Max,  16.5 deg, UST Helium 5F3, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 3 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 4 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 5 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Irons - PXG 0311 XP Gen 3 - 5 thru PW, AW, Mistubishi MMT 70, Regular

Wedges - PXG 0311 Forged, 54* and 58*

Putter - Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 putter, 34* shaft

Balls - Callaway Chrome Soft X balls

Silly newbie question. The set I bought is 4-PW. I'm planning to use a 50 degree gap wedge and 54-56 degree sand wedge. Do I try to build the gap wedge to the "one length"? What adjustments would need to be made to lie, sole grind, weighting, etc?

I've seen a couple of people say that they use normal length wedges. Do you use them for full swings? Do they require more practice time to adjust to the 2 inch length difference (37.25 vs 35.25)?

Silly newbie question. The set I bought is 4-PW. I'm planning to use a 50 degree gap wedge and 54-56 degree sand wedge. Do I try to build the gap wedge to the "one length"? What adjustments would need to be made to lie, sole grind, weighting, etc?

I've seen a couple of people say that they use normal length wedges. Do you use them for full swings? Do they require more practice time to adjust to the 2 inch length difference (37.25 vs 35.25)?

I am keeping my wedges as-is. I have the 50*, 52* and 56* and about similar length (may be 1/8" difference, I need to check again). My wedges are 100 yards and in only. I swing full, 3/4 to 1/2. Since I am varying my swing arc length and they are "touch" shots, it makes no sense for me to make them 7 iron length and swinging full.

I also use a 3/4 pitching swing for my OL PW, 9 and 8 irons, about 142 yards to 100 yards range. Thats the way I play and thats what I need to adjust with my new clubs. Hope that helps in your understanding.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

Question for those who play single length...what is your shortest club at that length? And then is your next club a traditional length? So if your PW is at the single length, your gap or sand wedge is standard for those clubs?

4H,5i-SW. See profile in signature below for lengths and lie angles. Next longest club is a 7W at 41"(might be 40.5")

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Are SL users finding more consistently directionally?

I generally don't struggle hitting the ball fat or thin, however club path tends to be a problem. I'm working on it for sure but I definitely still come OTT and this is exaggerated in my longer clubs. I'm not concerned about the ball rolling more with the longer clubs as I still think I'll carry them long enough to not have issues but am wondering if it would create more consistency with my directional misses.

I generally don't struggle hitting the ball fat or thin, however club path tends to be a problem. I'm working on it for sure but I definitely still come OTT and this is exaggerated in my longer clubs. I'm not concerned about the ball rolling more with the longer clubs as I still think I'll carry them long enough to not have issues but am wondering if it would create more consistency with my directional misses.

Good question, that's what I'm banking on. The reviews I've seen indicate that directional accuracy is better with single length.

Sterling user here, no plans on changing, they have simplified the game for me. I play 6-SW all the same length 37.75", plus a 60 deg wedge at 36.5". My driver is 44.5" and my 4W and two hybrids are all 1/2" short of standard. My HC dropped a few points as I became more consistent, however the biggest change was that my misses with my irons are of better quality. I have not hit the Cobra's but may have to give those a try as I do like my LTD driver.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Sterling user here! And very happy. SL concept makes total sense to me and I am playing better irons than ever.

Currently play 5 to GP Sterling. Have ordered the Cobra One Length Hybrid (19º at 37 inches) because Tom Wishon only recommends the 4iron if your SS is over 85 and mine is 80 MPH. If my SS increase up to 85 (under training here), I will order the 4 iron for sure.

I am seriously studying the possibility of expanding my Sterling with the new "traditional shape" wedges (55 and 60). At the begining I thought that I would be getter with my traditional wedges (Cleveland Rotex 3.0) that I like very much but after a month with the Sterling, I am very happy with the Gap Wedge and start feeling ackward with the traditional wedges...

Temps here have been in the 60s all week, but my one-length irons are arriving today so mother nature sends rain and a 25 degrees temp drop. I may have to go rent some simulator time at golf galaxy tonight to try my new toys.

I'm most concerned about the gapping of the 4 and 5 iron and deciding on my gap/sand wedge strategy. I have a king utility 3 iron/hybrid coming Friday also, so hopefully I can dial that into the 210-220 range of my previous 4 iron and use it as a fairway finder and long approach club.

Well, the curiosity bug bit me. Just ordered a set of Cobra King Forged One Length with the Nippon shafts 4-PW on 3balls for $360 shipped after a couple discounts. I figure at that price I should be able to break even selling them in a couple months if they don't work out for me since the Forged Ones seem to be trending around $450 on eBay.

I ordered the same set from the same website on the same day for similar price, also thinking if these don’t work out I can hopefully sell them and get my money back. I was also wondering about the wedges and if I should go with the one length wedges or with something like the King PŪR wedges that have more bounce and grind options? Would it be better to have the one length right through from 4i to LW or one length from 4i-PW and variable for GW, SW & LW? Thoughts?

I ordered the same set from the same website on the same day for similar price, also thinking if these don’t work out I can hopefully sell them and get my money back. I was also wondering about the wedges and if I should go with the one length wedges or with something like the King PŪR wedges that have more bounce and grind options? Would it be better to have the one length right through from 4i to LW or one length from 4i-PW and variable for GW, SW & LW? Thoughts?

My suggestion is to leave your wedges alone IF you are already a good wedge player and hit it consistently on full, 3/4 and 1/2 shots. One length, to me, is all about the full shot control hence my full shots run from PW and 4, thats my OL F8 set.

My wedges are always touch shots, I vary the length of the arc of the swing and the loft for the shot I feel I need to hit. I don't hit that many full shot with my 50, 52 and 56, its not called for that often. So having my 3 wedges at 7 iron length makes no sense.

IMHO, if the VL wedge length is not working for you, go ahead and try the OL wedges - at least then you know and see if this OL will fix things.I think this choice is really a "each to their own". Thats my 2c with this OL & wedges.

Yes, much improved direction consistency. Can still put a bad swing here and there. Had trouble with 5i going left (fade/slice for me, a left hander). But I'm pretty sure it was because I was too fast in back swing, the old "gotta hit this harder to make it go farther because it is a shorter club than traditional 5i" brain fart. Made changes to my swing over winter and seeing improved across the board, especially 5i results. Still working to ingrain new swing habits, plus can't play in MI, so actual on course results not in yet.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Yes, much improved direction consistency. Can still put a bad swing here and there. Had trouble with 5i going left (fade/slice for me, a left hander). But I'm pretty sure it was because I was too fast in back swing, the old "gotta hit this harder to make it go farther because it is a shorter club than traditional 5i" brain fart. Made changes to my swing over winter and seeing improved across the board, especially 5i results. Still working to ingrain new swing habits, plus can't play in MI, so actual on course results not in yet.

Haha same boat, stuck in Metro Detroit myself. Thanks for the feedback!

Got mine tonight... I hit a handful of balls in my garage with 4i, 7i, and PW. The hilarious part is my contact was great with the 4i and PW, and only mediocre with the 7i. I even shanked one with the 7i and bounced it off my toolbox, sounded like a gunshot.

Chipping is going to be fun. I can't wait to get out and get a few swings on them. I think I might switch one of the grips to my normal midsize and test it before regripping the rest of them.

So far so good!

Mine are in really nice condition. I'd guess a handful of demo swings on them. I don't see any signs of grass, tee marks, dirt in the grooves, etc. Just a few marks that could be chatter from shipping. They were just bundled up with rubber bands (no padding or bubble wrap) so I'm sure they banged around the whole way here. That said, I paid for value condition and they exceed that condition by a mile.

I'm starting out with the normal length gap and sand wedges from an old set (Mizuno MX200). I debadged the wedges a while back, so they actually match the One Forged irons pretty well.

I ordered the same set from the same website on the same day for similar price, also thinking if these don⤙t work out I can hopefully sell them and get my money back. I was also wondering about the wedges and if I should go with the one length wedges or with something like the King PŪR wedges that have more bounce and grind options? Would it be better to have the one length right through from 4i to LW or one length from 4i-PW and variable for GW, SW & LW? Thoughts?

Mine are in really nice condition. I'd guess a handful of demo swings on them. I don't see any signs of grass, tee marks, dirt in the grooves, etc. Just a few marks that could be chatter from shipping. They were just bundled up with rubber bands (no padding or bubble wrap) so I'm sure they banged around the whole way here. That said, I paid for value condition and they exceed that condition by a mile.

I'm starting out with the normal length gap and sand wedges from an old set (Mizuno MX200). I debadged the wedges a while back, so they actually match the One Forged irons pretty well.

Even though my set included a SL gap and sand wedge, I've always kept a standard length SW and Lob in my set. The SL gap and sand are money for shots 100 yds and out. A full crank would give me 100 or 115 yds on the nose from any lie and was great for getting over the occasional tall tree or skyscraper that got in the way (those things get the ball WAY up there). I did find it more difficult to hit the finesse shots inside 100 yds and I just never took to bunker play with the SL sand wedge.. so my standard length took care of business on my short approach game. It was kind of odd having 2 SW's in the bag but it made sense for me.

Question for those who play single length...what is your shortest club at that length? And then is your next club a traditional length? So if your PW is at the single length, your gap or sand wedge is standard for those clubs?

I carry 4-GW. My SW is traditional length. Gapping is a non-issue, because I can chip, pitch, and hit 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full swings with each club. IMHO, that's the magic of SL.

First round with my new set today. I really am buying into the concept. I had to constantly remind myself to ignore the number on the club and hit a 7i. Only problems I had were getting steep with the PW once (bad angle, trying to force it to spin) and shallowing out the 4i twice. It'll take a few rounds to get rid of those habits and make the mental changes, but the results were better than I expected. Birdied a 485 yd par 5 with 4i, 4i, SW (60yds), putt, which was very reassuring.

I also noticed a difference in my tempo with my driver and hybrid off the tee, which was unexpected, but very welcome. I felt a lot smoother and in rhythm than I have in a while.

First round with my new set today. I really am buying into the concept. I had to constantly remind myself to ignore the number on the club and hit a 7i. Only problems I had were getting steep with the PW once (bad angle, trying to force it to spin) and shallowing out the 4i twice. It'll take a few rounds to get rid of those habits and make the mental changes, but the results were better than I expected. Birdied a 485 yd par 5 with 4i, 4i, SW (60yds), putt, which was very reassuring.

I also noticed a difference in my tempo with my driver and hybrid off the tee, which was unexpected, but very welcome. I felt a lot smoother and in rhythm than I have in a while.

Still waiting for the DHL truck to arrive with my set but reading your comments has alleviated any buyers remorse I usually get with a purchase. Will be another few months before I can take them onto a course unfortunately due to all this pesky snow on the ground. Will have to settle for a few sessions with the simulator to dial them in.

I carry 4-GW. My SW is traditional length. Gapping is a non-issue, because I can chip, pitch, and hit 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full swings with each club. IMHO, that's the magic of SL.

As I need to buy a Gap Wedge, I am trying to figure out if I should order the matching SL or to go for a complete set of Traditional wedges such as the Cobra PŪR? I had similar thought to you to go for the 4-GW in SL and perhaps SW-LW in variable to allow for easier bunker and around the Green? You think that is the best combo?

Still waiting for the DHL truck to arrive with my set but reading your comments has alleviated any buyers remorse I usually get with a purchase. Will be another few months before I can take them onto a course unfortunately due to all this pesky snow on the ground. Will have to settle for a few sessions with the simulator to dial them in.

It's kinda hard to complain when you take 5 swings with a long iron and the impact sticker looks like this... a little high on the face, but I was practicing hitting down through the ball instead of shallowing out like I normally would with a long iron.

(disclaimer: perfect stance and off a mat, but with the same conditions I've never been this consistent with a long iron.)