2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

JJordiJ

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the new CSX18 compare to the CSX17 in terms of feel? I much preferred the feel of the CS17 over the CSX17. I'll probably go with the CSX18 if it's a bit softer in this iteration, or the regular CS18 if it's not.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I wanna get my hands on these.

2uLjGtf.jpg

Taco Bell?

Wesley Bryan is an ambassador for Taco Bell, and he'll be using these on the 16th at the WM this week.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

New truvis colors.

https://i.imgur.com/ykUYyHM.jpg

I wonder if it will be blk/white?

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

I've had a chance to test the CSX18 for about a month. It spins less off the driver and I have been getting about 10 yds more with it than the CS17. The shorter the club, the more spin it seems to have. Stops better on pitches and chips than the CS17 or CSX17.

I’d say that pretty much lined up with what I have found :)

How does the new CSX18 compare to the CSX17 in terms of feel? I much preferred the feel of the CS17 over the CSX17. I'll probably go with the CSX18 if it's a bit softer in this iteration, or the regular CS18 if it's not.

I feel the CSX 18 is slightly softer or “less clicky” than the previous model.

It isn’t anywhere near as soft as the “normal” CS 18 model in terms of feel though.

I think if you fell in love with the CS for the feel then it is likely you will stick with the CS 18, if you liked the firmer CSX feel and added spin on shorter wedge shots then go with the CSX18

New truvis colors.

https://i.imgur.com/ykUYyHM.jpg

I wonder if it will be blk/white?

Don't quite understand the list. Are those NEW colors or ALL the colors.

I assume "Truvis red" means a white ball with red panels.

I don't see the current Truvis yellow with black.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Graphene. That's why the ball is so much better. Someone else already said, a sheet of the stuff would cover a football field and weigh as much as a dime.

They have mixed this super strong material into the cover of the ball, and made it urethane. Why is that so great? Because the cover of the ball is the thinnest possible. Why does that matter? Because the thinner cover creates that 2-3 MPH of ball speed everyone is talking about.

the new 18 ball will be long and soft and worth every penny.

IMO Callaway should have dropped the Chrome soft name with this ball because it's so much better it can't even be compared to the 17 ball. Rock is brilliant and Callaway does not want to be #2 in anything...

This is pretty much it, I was under the impression that the graphene was in the core not the cover but otherwise I agree with everything else.

I heard graphene was the secret sauce; but nobody was telling me where it was.

Graphene is very light; but very stiff. It's been used in the tennis industry for years so I'm really familiar with it.

If Ishi had input I would imagine he is going after what they did with the RZN material where they moved the MOI towards the outside of the ball. Using Graphene near the core because of the lightweight properties makes sense there.

I hope it's not in the cover. Despite being light and stiff; that might make for a clicky and harsh cover; but it might also make it more resilient.

Ball speed has been maxed for years without graphene. All the balls are at ball speed limits. Differences in distance come down to LA, spin, and drag.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

Bummed to hear the CSX18 is a little softer than the CSX17. Played a dozen of the CSX17s and still felt too soft for my liking. Was hoping they'd at least get close to the hard feeling of TP5x/Pro V1x (I'm a fan of a hard/clicky ball) but to no avail. Wonder if Callaway will every roll out a "XX" ball.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Graphene. That's why the ball is so much better. Someone else already said, a sheet of the stuff would cover a football field and weigh as much as a dime.

They have mixed this super strong material into the cover of the ball, and made it urethane. Why is that so great? Because the cover of the ball is the thinnest possible. Why does that matter? Because the thinner cover creates that 2-3 MPH of ball speed everyone is talking about.

the new 18 ball will be long and soft and worth every penny.

IMO Callaway should have dropped the Chrome soft name with this ball because it's so much better it can't even be compared to the 17 ball. Rock is brilliant and Callaway does not want to be #2 in anything...

This is pretty much it, I was under the impression that the graphene was in the core not the cover but otherwise I agree with everything else.

I heard graphene was the secret sauce; but nobody was telling me where it was.

Graphene is very light; but very stiff. It's been used in the tennis industry for years so I'm really familiar with it.

If Ishi had input I would imagine he is going after what they did with the RZN material where they moved the MOI towards the outside of the ball. Using Graphene near the core because of the lightweight properties makes sense there.

I hope it's not in the cover. Despite being light and stiff; that might make for a clicky and harsh cover; but it might also make it more resilient.

Ball speed has been maxed for years without graphene. All the balls are at ball speed limits. Differences in distance come down to LA, spin, and drag.

And Graphene is $100 per gramme. So not very much in a ball. 10 yds more? Dreàm on.

I ordered the 18 CS tonight. I considered the CSX but in the end, I think I don't need the extra spin from the X. Be interesting to see if the balls live up to the reviews here :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I finally got out to play the new ball. I like it and its a good replacement from the CS17. I did not find an extra 10 yards in my irons or really any significant improvement in distance as the R&D guy at Callaway mentioned was the goal. I had an ok ball striking day and the ball managed to find the green 2/3rds of the time (there was no helping my driver hook however) and went as far as I was expecting even with some shaky ball striking so I will say its forgiving (maybe the the extra yards are there when I strike it better). I had several toe strikes that still made the green. It was a bit breezy and the ball handled the wind decently even with my poorer strikes. The feel is closer to the CS16 ball (which I preferred over the 17). I scored well that day making 13 pars and 1 birdie with my only hiccups coming on holes where I had big driver issues(had 1 lost ball, 2 punch outs from trouble and a couple of low left shorties that while they stayed in didn't go very far and had me hitting much longer approaches). I played 2 strokes under my GHIN number first time out with it so that is definitely good. I normally play the CS and I'm pretty sure the CS18 will be the ball for me again this year. I'm playing again on Monday this time on a course I have never seen before so it should be a solid test for the new ball.

I managed to get my hands on a 3 pack of CSX that came with my new Rogue 3W.

Very impressive around the greens. Possibly one of the best balls I have ever used in terms of spin and feel on chips and pitches. Good stable flight on irons and decent enough off the tee.

Overall a very solid ball and one that I could easily play. But for me, I still prefer the Tour B X. The ball flight I get with that ball is superb - it is great in the wind and it is still a strong performer around the greens.

Having said that I can see the 18 CS and CSX going into a lot of people's bags this year.

I got my hands on some Turvis CS 2018 and will put them into play tomorrow. Last night, I chipped and pitched with it and it was pretty good. Putter felt nice but the key will be how it will behave off the driver & my irons. Past balls include Srixon XV and Vivid XT.

I got to say, never played a Turvis ball, it was pretty funky to see the ball spin on the green :)

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

Another full round yesterday with a CS X '18. I am becoming a big believer in this golf ball. It is wonderful off the driver. But is it any "longer"? Played a course I hadn't been to in quite a few seasons so didn't have a real hole by hole reference point of spots where I'd normally be playing my tee shot from. I'll put it this way, was hardly a dud in terms of distance, hit a lot of drivers and also my 4 wood setting up holes and was never disappointed when I got to my ball.

CS X has just a hint of softness off the irons compared to a Srixon Z or Bridgestone B. And plenty of touch from 50 yds and in. For example on a par 5 nipped about a 40 yd low pitch that even landed on a slight down slope and still settled quickly. I was impressed. The 4 greens I missed were then examples of how good the ball feels on little soft shots around the green. FWIW the ball feels veeeery good of the putter face. Only a very very slight click to it. The cover's quality was excellent. After 18 holes it was still spotless.

edit: I will say I still have zero feedback to give on this ball's performance in the wind. There hasn't been a significant breeze in the air here for weeks on end. The weather has been spectacular.

Another full round yesterday with a CS X '18. I am becoming a big believer in this golf ball. It is wonderful off the driver. But is it any "longer"? Played a course I hadn't been to in quite a few seasons so didn't have a real hole by hole reference point of spots where I'd normally be playing my tee shot from. I'll put it this way, was hardly a dud in terms of distance, hit a lot of drivers and also my 4 wood setting up holes and was never disappointed when I got to my ball.

CS X has just a hint of softness off the irons compared to a Srixon Z or Bridgestone B. And plenty of touch from 50 yds and in. For example on a par 5 nipped about a 40 yd low pitch that even landed on a slight down slope and still settled quickly. I was impressed. The 4 greens I missed were then examples of how good the ball feels on little soft shots around the green. FWIW the ball feels veeeery good of the putter face. Only a very very slight click to it. The cover's quality was excellent. After 18 holes it was still spotless.

edit: I will say I still have zero feedback to give on this ball's performance in the wind. There hasn't been a significant breeze in the air here for weeks on end. The weather has been spectacular.

when you reference srixon z, do you mean the xv?

hope so

i play the xv and looking very closely at switching to the csx this year...

thanks

yes, I mean my point of reference is '17 Z XV. And prior to that played B330S exclusively (for many, many years). but IMO any Z or B ball applies here.

This ball sounds like a winner if it’s softer than the XV. Hope it’s just as good in the wind.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

yes, I mean my point of reference is '17 Z XV. And prior to that played B330S exclusively (for many, many years). but IMO any Z or B ball applies here.

This ball sounds like a winner if it's softer than the XV. Hope it's just as good in the wind.

Agreed

I have been waiting for a ball to one-up the XV - pro v's and tp's just don't quite do it

I got my round in with the CS. Normally I play the XV 4 and XV 5 balls but recently I've been playing the Vivid XT ball. So far the XT > XV in terms of driver performance. And I played in my regular course as well so I know where my landing spots are and if a drive was hot or meh.

Wedge - CS is brilliant. Soft and controlled, no silly spin. I pick my wedges like I do my full swing. I don't usually get a whole ton of backspin. One shot, it felt chilli hot but the CS spun and checked. If this was the XV or XT, it would have been "adios". The wedge game was good on the round. Is is because of the CS? Dunno.

Putter - soft. Every one knows how the CS putts.

Driver - right now, I think the jury is still out for me. Off the face, the ball was soft. Reminded me of my E6 days. Distance wise, it was up there, nothing spectacular but it was not short either. The 10th on Woodley Lakes is a tough driving hole. Its the #2 hole (should be #1 imho) and its a dog leg right. Plays like a Par 5 especially off the blacks. Gotta carry at least 260 to clear the lake, junk, palms and trees for where I aimed it and the CS nailed it. I recall some drives where I felt the ball went too high and yet it was out there. Had it been lower, it would have been spectacular. Another example was the 9th hole, the ball flew way high with a draw and ended up in the hole recently dug up to put a tree. Hole in one? LOL.

Couple of swings went right, but not too bad but its not E6ish in the forgiveness department. Overall the CS landed where I expected my XV or XT balls to land, there was nothing "wow" so far in the driving department.

Overall, right now, I am leaning that this is a great ball but driving was "meh" compared to other premium distance balls. Whether it stays in bag I dunno. Gotta try the CSX next. And gotta get more Vivid XTs as well :ninja: