Garmin S20 GPS Watch

Can I go a different direction here, albeit on task with the OP's original question? I could care less about tracking my stats or distance; my eyes and game tell me actually what I am good at and what I suck at (the latter shows up a bit more). How does the S20 perform as a GPS golf watch (ease of finding the course, distances, battery life, etc...). It is the best looking golf watch out and the functions on paper (other than telling me how far I hit the ball) seem to be pretty solid. The one complaint that I've seen a few times, is it's not user friendly since it is not a touch screen. True? Thank you in advance for your performance review.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I go a different direction here, albeit on task with the OP's original question? I could care less about tracking my stats or distance; my eyes and game tell me actually what I am good at and what I suck at (the latter shows up a bit more). How does the S20 perform as a GPS golf watch (ease of finding the course, distances, battery life, etc...). It is the best looking golf watch out and the functions on paper (other than telling me how far I hit the ball) seem to be pretty solid. The one complaint that I've seen a few times, is it's not user friendly since it is not a touch screen. True? Thank you in advance for your performance review.

This is exactly how I've used the S20 for 2+ years now and it's great. The yardages are quite accurate. If I have a pin sheet I can typically get within 1-2 yards of a lasered distance. It is more convenient than a rangefinder to the point that my playing partners (who have lasers) will occasionally just ask what I've got on the watch.

I do not track distances or shots/stats, it seems to be fair at that but not necessary or desired personally. Battery life is two rounds plus some, but probably not quite 3.

I have zero issues with the buttons, second nature for me at this point.

I would highly recommend the S20. I also wear it every single day, golf or not. LOL.

This is exactly how I've used the S20 for 2+ years now and it's great. The yardages are quite accurate. If I have a pin sheet I can typically get within 1-2 yards of a lasered distance. It is more convenient than a rangefinder to the point that my playing partners (who have lasers) will occasionally just ask what I've got on the watch.

I do not track distances or shots/stats, it seems to be fair at that but not necessary or desired personally. Battery life is two rounds plus some, but probably not quite 3.

I would highly recommend the S20. I also wear it every single day, golf or not. LOL.

Thanks! I've been wearing a golf watch for about 3 years now and love it. The S20 looks great and has wonderful features. Most of my buddies all use lasers, but I'm not real good with those. I play to a 9.6 index and only need to know "approximate" (within a few yards) distance to the pin, hazard or lay-up. I will purchase the S20.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

• 2 weeks later...

The shot tracking (if turned on) goes above and beyond that. Automatically tracking every where on the course you make a (full) swing at the ball so you can go back and look at "all" your shots after the round. And it doesn't show you the distances during the round, you have to wait until you sync with Garmin connect.

That last bit isn't quite true. If you scroll down using the down button whilst in the Measure Shot screen you can go back to all you previous shots on all the previous holes which can be very handy if you're trying to work out how much the conditions have effected distances during a round.

As for the score tracking having to be on, it's really not a massive amount of effort to click the OK button at the end of each round in order to allow the watch to record all those shots automatically. It means you measure a distance even if you only think about it 50 yards down the fairway.

I'd agree with this and recommend the S20 highly.

It always seems accurate to me (compared to other watches/GPS and lasers) and I've had very few problems with it on the course. Only slight annoyance is that it might record a shot when I'm picking up or putting down my bag, but that's easily corrected after the round if you're using the tracking features and it bothers you.

That last bit isn't quite true. If you scroll down using the down button whilst in the Measure Shot screen you can go back to all you previous shots on all the previous holes which can be very handy if you're trying to work out how much the conditions have effected distances during a round.

Are you referring to the auto shot tracking distances - or manually triggered distance measurements?

• 2 months later...

I wish I purchased the S20 around Christmas time when it was hovering around $120. I’ve seen it fluctuate at various sites since at or around $170-$200 and I am kicking myself for not purchasing it then, ugh.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

• 2 months later...

I got an S20 earlier this season using AMEX points. I really like it, and I think I prefer it to a rangefinder, especially when walking.

Normally I am perfectly happy having front/center/back distances. I like that it only takes a glance down at the device to get that info. I've never tried to move a pin.

I've learned to use the hazard measuring function and it's okay too. I'm more of a "lay up" than a "go for it" player so this is handy.

I also keep score on the device.

To me the S20 is the right blend of getting useful information quickly and with minimal hassles. I leave it connected to its charger, plugged into a USB jack in my car's console, so it's always ready for the next round (assuming I remember to grab it).

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 weeks later...

I was torn on what to buy and found myself making a late decision on prime day to go with the s20 for $130. Several options were in the running including the vivoactive 3, fitbit ionic with game golf app or shotscope v2 which has a watch and sensors. I really didn't do enough research early enough. I just wanted to get something on prime day, and I originally thought I was going to get a printer or indoor grill or something, haha. (Last night, a bit late, I came across the shotscope demo account, and I really liked the statistics offered and editing features. Unfortunately as far as I can tell at the moment, Garmin seems to be weak with their statistics software. )

Anyway, the watch came in on Friday, just in time because I was going to play 9. I didn't put scores in during the round because I wasn't sure why it was asking me how many strokes before I made any putts. I was able to edit this after the round and realized that the watch didn't keep track of putts. You put in your score and the excess over the strokes detected by the watch are counted as putts. I was able to find out the distance for a dogleg, so that was nice to finally know for sure. I didn't use the measure shot feature because I didn't know about it until I read some of this thread. I didn't use the change the pin position feature yet either.

There were some oddities that I noticed. On the first hole I chunked my approach shot, but shot detection had my shot go all the way to the green as well as my next shot. I was messing around with the editing features of the software and added a shot in between those two shots and then deleted it, and my chunked shot distance was corrected. On the second hole, I was just short of the green and elected to putt from the fairway. This shot was actually detected, but I could not select a club for it afterward in the software, so I left it as unknown. On the 3rd hole I hit my 18 degree driving iron ( and hit my best shot ever with it to the corner of the green I was aiming at), but I had no club option under which to file it, so I just put it as a 3 hybrid since I don't use one. On the fourth hole, a par 3, I hit my shot onto the green, but the location of the shot on the software is to the right and short of the green. On the fifth hole, an extra shot was detected. I was able to delete it. On the 8th hole, I found myself short of the green again and putting. This time it did not detect my putt, something I found that it's not supposed to do, so I added in an unknown shot.

So, it's not perfect, but I think it's really neat. These were relatively minor problems to deal with, and I was able to track my best round.

I don't completely know everything about the software yet, so I could be wrong on things, but I'd prefer the following:

-ability to add custom clubs, like driving iron or some random iron recovery shot, whatever you want just to keep statistics separate based on how you're using a club (*editing to say that I just found out that you can add additional clubs)

-ability to move shots around

-all edits should be based on a git type system where you can see and revert to previous edits.

-stats like shotscope offers, etc...

I noticed that Garmin has new CT10 sensors out for $300, which can be used with the watch. The website says "Those stats for each club with a sensor installed show up on your Garmin golf watch after pulling the club from the bag. See how far you typically hit that club, and view stats for accuracy to the fairway or green." It seems to be a shot tracking system similar to Arccos 360 or Game Golf. I don't see myself spending another $300 for these though. I'm considering the 3 sensor pack for $80 so that I can track putts and short game shots even though $80 seems a bit much to me. I'd put one sensor on the putter, one on the sand wedge, and the other either on the 60 degree or pitching wedge. I don't know. I'll wait to see reviews coming in.

• 4 weeks later...

Have used SkyCaddie products for many years, but got fed up with the glitchyness and overall poor performance. Had two Breeze units fail on me, the second after the warranty expired. The SGXw I bought used now performs like a relic... slow and clunky.

Purchased an S20 last week and it's been terrific in every way. Very quick to find your course and update yardages. My biggest surprise is that it's actually more accurate than my SGX, which was the main reason I had stuck with SkyCaddie for so long.

I’ve been very happy with my purchase of the S20. Purchased it at the beginning of the season on EBay with a coupon, got it new for around $105.

It does everything i want it too, loads the course quickly, back-front-middle pins, the hazard/layups feature is nice and easy to get too. Seems to charge pretty quickly. I usually start a 3.5hr round at 100% and it ends around 75% so i could easy get multiple rounds in on one charge. I haven’t tried to move the pin around, probably a feature I’ll never use. I have added my scores which is a nice feature and i like the round summary telling me time, steps, etc...

Overall it’s a really good gps watch. I keep it on my bag when I’m walking and just toss it in the cart when riding. I don’t wear it when I’m playing, as that’s not for me but it does everything i need. I’d say if you can land it around $100-$125 then go for it, well worth the purchase.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

in 2018, would you go for S20 or S60?

[b]Nike Vapor Fly Pro [/b] 11.5 Left Diamana S+ 60R
[b]Callaway XR16 3 wood [/b]Tour AD DI6S
[b]Nike Victory Red STR8-FIT Tour 5 wood [/b]Diamana ilima 70S
[b]2016 Taylormade M2 4 hybrid [/b]KBS Tour 90R
[b]Fujimoto Gikoh FG-Believer [/b][b]BL-03 [/b]5-P DG S200
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50 56 [/b]DG S200 Tour Issue
[b]Taylormade Mullen[/b] 34

• 3 weeks later...

I've been very happy with my purchase of the S20. Purchased it at the beginning of the season on EBay with a coupon, got it new for around $105.

It does everything i want it too, loads the course quickly, back-front-middle pins, the hazard/layups feature is nice and easy to get too. Seems to charge pretty quickly. I usually start a 3.5hr round at 100% and it ends around 75% so i could easy get multiple rounds in on one charge. I haven't tried to move the pin around, probably a feature I'll never use. I have added my scores which is a nice feature and i like the round summary telling me time, steps, etc...

Overall it's a really good gps watch. I keep it on my bag when I'm walking and just toss it in the cart when riding. I don't wear it when I'm playing, as that's not for me but it does everything i need. I'd say if you can land it around $100-$125 then go for it, well worth the purchase.

I suggest you check this feature out. It is easy to navigate to and absolutely increases the precision of the watch. The first time I tried the feature on mine was to give the yardage on a par 5 of a "go for it in 2" situation to my buddy. I said "check this out" and navigated to the green screen and proceeded to use my finger to move the flag from the center to the back right of the green. I thought it didn't work and was a little embarrassed until I realized I was supposed to use the up/down buttons to move the flag. Worked perfect then...........sheesh.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Garmin forums are dead so just gonna ask this here. Got this a week ago for a gift. Every day I get "Update available". The circle fills "update complete" in like 10 seconds, but the version never changes from 4.30.

Is this normal?

Titleist TSR2 10* Tensei Blue

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

Garmin forums are dead so just gonna ask this here. Got this a week ago for a gift. Every day I get "Update available". The circle fills "update complete" in like 10 seconds, but the version never changes from 4.30.

Is this normal?

How are you doing the update? Through the "Connect" phone app or are you using Garmin Express on your computer?

Just some ideas.

There are different types of updates. Most of the time it's an update to the course data, not the firmware but even that doesn't happen every day. Both are versioned separately. Sometimes it's just some personal settings (like fitness tracking goals) that get 'updated'. So next time get more details about what update is available and being downloaded.

Also, downloading the update to the watch isn't always the same as installing it if it really is an upgrade. I usually get some prompt on my watch asking if it's ok to go ahead and install the downloaded update. That could be the missing step. I think there is a way to manually trigger that in the System settings if that's the case.

Neither, I'm just hitting "OK" on the watch and it tells me there is an update available. I just got it again, like two hours after the last one. There are no additional details. I can choose Install now or Remind me and that's it.

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

OK sounds like it's been d/l'd to the watch but the installation part isn't happening.

Sorry to ask the obvious (I don't actually have the s20 but rather a few other garmin watches), are you sure you're hitting the correct button to tell it to install the update and not accidentally telling it to wait?

The only other suggestion I might have is to try and power it down, then back up.

If that doesn't change anything it might be best to call Garmin CS to talk to a rep. Worst case they might have to tell you to do a factory reset - but hopefully they can avoid that.

Haha yeah I'm definitely hitting the right button. The "updating" circle comes up, fills slowly, and it says "Update Complete" like 10 seconds later. It's happened twice today and probably 7-8 times total since I got it on Saturday.

I've only used it on the course once so far but it seems to work fine, this is just annoying.

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Hey Celeras, you might want to try going to https://www8.garmin....ls.jsp?id=10004 and installing software to your PC/Mac and updating it over old school USB. Might even factory reset it as long as all your data is synced up to the site. Just an idea.

I've been using garmin watches for running since like 2008 and it used to be the only way to keep your device up to date!

Haha yeah I'm definitely hitting the right button. The "updating" circle comes up, fills slowly, and it says "Update Complete" like 10 seconds later. It's happened twice today and probably 7-8 times total since I got it on Saturday.

I've only used it on the course once so far but it seems to work fine, this is just annoying.

Definitely not 'normal'. Again I'd suggest contacting Garmin CS. Sounds like the install process is not cleaning up after itself. It may be as simple as deleting a file (or files) from the watch (after plugging it into your computer via USB) or it may take a more drastic factory reset to correct (which isn't really all that bad).

I get the Updating Available everytime after I charge it via USB connecting to my computer. I assume it's updating satellite location info. Its suppose to download seven days worth of satellite location when connected via computer.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy - 10.5* 
4 Wood: Tour Edge EX10 - 16.5* 
3H/4H: Honma 737 UT 19* & 22*
5-PW: Nike Covert 2.0 Forged
GW: Cleveland CBX - 50*
SW: Cleveland RTX 3.0 CB - 56*
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Tatum
Garmin S20

I haven't charged it since I got it actually. I did the Garmin Express thing and it said there was course updates. Maybe there were a lot and they were trickling in or something. We'll see if it keeps happening after this.

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

I get the Updating Available everytime after I charge it via USB connecting to my computer. I assume it's updating satellite location info. Its suppose to download seven days worth of satellite location when connected via computer.

Have you registered the watch with Garmin? If not do so-and also install Garmin Express. then when logged in to your Garmin acct it should identify the update and do the install.

i think I have only done one such update (fairly recently) by that method in the less than one year I have had it. Do not recall ever seeing that message when it was standalone, but I generally useUSB hub to charge it

Updates done, took like a half hour over USB so there's no way those 10 second things I was getting was doing anything. Express says: Software 4.30, Courses NA 5.7, Euro 5.3, Pacific 4.8.

Odd that the manual says everything is with the app if I needed to do this but I wont complain if it works.

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Does anyone know how tee shots are marked on the map when you hit the green? The shot below was mid-left of green. I think I might have walked to where it is marked to drop off my bag (next hole is on that side) before grabbing my putter.

Did I register a shot back there, maybe when I dropped my bag? Is it because I crossed on to the green from that direction? Just wondering.

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW