Which Rain gear, FJoy or UA

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UA has goretex offerings FJ does not that is a big + to UA. I like the FJ stuff but I am also in an area where rain is not really an issue and I got my FJ dry joy tour jacket for 50% off. If they were near the same full price I would have gone gore tex.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Galvin Green.

Just stop looking. MSgt! :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Getting some rain gear from my course and they have Foot Joy and Under Armour.

Custom order with their Logos.

Want to get a good set, as I don't play in the rain often so they'll last quite awhile.

Looking at FootJoy DryJoys Tour LTS, but open to suggestions.

Thank you.

As someone who has A LOT of rain gear from most all major manufacturers (you can view my post history for some of the discussions regarding rain gear), and as someone who sells it as part of my job (operating a golf course/pro shop), I can say that both are very good. The new Tour LTS by FJ is a very nice product. But which Under Armour Storm rain gear are we talking about? There are 3 sets with UA, a GoreTex Paclite jacket/pant, a non-GoreTex jacket/pant made with a waterproof membrane that rivals GoreTex in waterproof rating, but is much more stretchy and breathable, and a cheaper, entry level set that is only a 10K waterproof rating that isn't really all that great. I'd rule this last one out, if it's one of the offerings. You can typically tell which UA set you're looking at by price...GoreTex (also will have Gore branding on the apparel) should be priced starting about $260 per piece, the non-GoreTex (but still good) set will be about $160 per piece, and the entry level/basic rain gear will be approx. $120 (or lower) per piece.

All of these (UA GoreTex, UA non-GoreTex, and FJ LTS) have good breathability, with maybe the two UA products in the lead there. The Tour LTS is a bit more substantial jacket, and the newer tech in its material is more into temperature regulation (holding warm air inside to keep you warmer when cold). The UA products (Gore and non-Gore) are more ultralight pieces that can be worn all year 'round, even in Summer, as they don't have much more than the waterproof membrane on the inside and a very thin fabric bonded to the exterior.

I can attest to owning and using everything here, and they all work very well. The FJ LTS is a newer product as of late last Summer, so I haven't gotten to use it in warmer situations to see if it's too hot.

One thing I am curious about is that you say the UA products are custom logoed with the club's logo? That's new to me. As of my most recent UA golf catalog, Spring 2018, UA explicitly doesn't offer logos on the GoreTex or non-GoreTex rain gear. The distributor (you don't actually order straight from UA as a green grass account typically) doesn't have the capability to embroider waterproof membrane material, as it has to be sealed on the inside to prevent water intrusion through the holes made during embroidery).

Getting some rain gear from my course and they have Foot Joy and Under Armour.

Custom order with their Logos.

Want to get a good set, as I don't play in the rain often so they'll last quite awhile.

Looking at FootJoy DryJoys Tour LTS, but open to suggestions.

Thank you.

If you go with the Footjoy I'd check the warranty. I just was on their site and all it said for the Tour LTS was "100% waterproof" but no mention of how long they were guaranteed. Could be an oversight but for $285 I'd want to know the specifics. As they say even a paper napkin is 100% waterproof for the first two seconds.

Thanks guys.

The pro shop doesn't offer Galvin Green.

Chris, not sure but the manager said he can get custom gear from UA, FJ and Adidas.

Go to their site!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Galvin Green.

Just stop looking. MSgt! :)

Agreed Tommy!

For two years I have been waiting to pick one of these up on sale...got one earlier this month. The FJ is okay in a light, misty kind of rain, but anything heavier and you may experience some issues. The GG Achilles I just purchased is replacing a FJ Tour XP, which offers only a two year waterproof guarantee. With Gore-Tex you get a lifetime water proof guarantee.

Thanks guys.

The pro shop doesn't offer Galvin Green.

Chris, not sure but the manager said he can get custom gear from UA, FJ and Adidas.

If you do have to get from your proshop, then you might want to look at the GoreTex options from UA and Adidas (I think they still offer GoreTex garments), just to give yourself the peace of mind versus the FJ.

Personally, I've used several of the membrane (waterproof barrier inside these garments) containing FJ jackets and pants in all day conditions working at the course and never once had a soak through occur, and in much worse conditions than golfers would play in. And some of my most trusted and favorite rain gear isn't GoreTex, but I do also own some...about 7 GoreTex suits I believe, off the top of my head.

But you have to compare like for like...some people compare a FJ DWR only (just a spray on coating, not a true waterproof membrane) or a 10k rated product to a GoreTex (20k minimum rating) item, and of course they are going to be let down. If you compare like rated membrane to like rated membrane however, it's hard to find a waterproof performance difference. After all, there's only so many ways to make a thin Teflon (essentially what all of these membranes are) sheet.

If you go with a GoreTex product, at least you'll have the peace of mind of a minimum standard of performance. There are equal or better products out there though. I've talked about them extensively in other threads.

If you have any questions, you can feel free to private message me any time. I've answered LOTS of PMs on here about rain gear recommendations.

If you do have the option to go outside of your proshop, here's a good thread that several of us have participated in discussing some of the options out there. And pardon some of my long winded posts in there. Lol.

Best Rain gear

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=104096&share_tid=1575548&url=http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1575548-Best-Rain-gear&share_type=t

i have FJ Hydrolite, and it kept me perfectly dry during and absolutely sideways deluge at Bandon a couple years ago.

Hydrolite is a good FJ line. It's a membrane containing product... that's the rubber/plastic like liner on the inside of the jacket. To get wet with it, that either has to get rips/tears in it, or the zipper or seam sealing (the thin tape-looking strip of the same membrane material that covers all seams on the inside) has to fail. And it's very rare that a membrane actually fails. More often than not, it's actually the DWR spray on coating on the exterior fabric finish of a jacket fails, letting the cloth on the exterior become soaked (usually called "wetting out"). This will cause the waterproof membrane underneath to not be able to move water vapor created by your body to move through the membrane, and actually cause it to start condensing inside the jacket as water droplets, causing your clothes underneath to become wet as if the jacket (or pants) let moisture in. The exterior/face fabric has to stay dry (this is why they are treated with DWR) in order for water vapor to move through the membrane and not condense on the interior of the jacket. Restore the DWR finish to the outside, and usually a quality piece of membrane-containing raingear that seems to have started letting water in will suddenly be watertight again.

He said he wants to get through his pro shop so he can get the course's custom logos, etc. Great information in here, but why keep questioning his desire to get through the pro shop or pointing him in directions he's already indicated he's not going?

And . . . . Galvin Green! ;-) Just kidding, but from experience, I'd say whatever your choices, err on the side of GoreTex.

He said he wants to get through his pro shop so he can get the course's custom logos, etc. Great information in here, but why keep questioning his desire to get through the pro shop or pointing him in directions he's already indicated he's not going?

And . . . . Galvin Green! ;-) Just kidding, but from experience, I'd say whatever your choices, err on the side of GoreTex.

I was trying to give him recommendations and advice based on what he said his proshop offered, but the OP also said "open to suggestions", so that could be taken as recommendations outside of his proshop. So, just covering all bases with anything I mentioned.

And on the topic of GoreTex/W.L. Gore, I've been looking for this article for a while now, and finally found it. I've talked to many people in the apparel/textile business over the years, and off the record many have the same feelings toward Gore as expressed in this article. If you're a rain gear/textile nerd like me, it's a hell of a read on GoreTex and even competing products.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1898541/insane-membrane

Interesting quote from the article:

When I asked one manufacturer why people were being so coy, he told me, “Everybody hates Gore, everybody needs Gore, so everybody’s afraid of Gore

Pretty interesting article!

I've thought the whole industry was interesting since I started hearing years ago that Gore was such a terrible company to work with. Heard that more than a handful of times, then several years later read that article basically validating how they bully and try to actively stiffle competing membranes from getting a foothold in the market.

The UA goretex pants are great. The jackets only fit if you're round with short arms. I went UA pants and Galvin Green jacket. Golfposer.com is great but make sure you know your size. Galvin Green jackets run small.

Epic Max LS 9* Ventus Black 6s / Cobra Radspeed 9* Tensei 1K 6x

Epic Flash 15* / Tour AD TP 7x and DI 7x

Sim Max 19* / DI 8x

Srixon Zx7 4-P

Ping Glide Stealth 52 (bent to 51)

SM6 - 56/10 (bent to 55/9)

Tour Issue LB Hi Toe 60*

Spider Plumber's Neck

TP5

I would go with the UA Goretex...just because it is Goretex. I have no experience with the newer FJ stuff but I do have a FJ rain jacket that is several years old and all of it's "waterproof" properties are gone. Now, it is just a nice looking windbreaker. I tried to revive it to no avail. For the price of a new FJ jacket at the time, I could get a product that was Goretex for pretty close to the same price. So I did.

My main reason for buying rain gear is to stay dry. I play in some pretty heavy rain almost every year in one 4 day tournament I play in. Breathability is one thing but my main concern is not getting soaked to the bone by the rain. My Goretex keeps that from happening. Also, FWIW, I have a 28year old Macgregor Goretex golf jacket that I keep in my truck all the time. I grabbed it this past summer when I had to be out in the rain (non-golf). It still kept me dry...28 years later.

I would go with the UA Goretex...just because it is Goretex. I have no experience with the newer FJ stuff but I do have a FJ rain jacket that is several years old and all of it's "waterproof" properties are gone. Now, it is just a nice looking windbreaker. I tried to revive it to no avail. For the price of a new FJ jacket at the time, I could get a product that was Goretex for pretty close to the same price. So I did.

My main reason for buying rain gear is to stay dry. I play in some pretty heavy rain almost every year in one 4 day tournament I play in. Breathability is one thing but my main concern is not getting soaked to the bone by the rain. My Goretex keeps that from happening. Also, FWIW, I have a 28year old Macgregor Goretex golf jacket that I keep in my truck all the time. I grabbed it this past summer when I had to be out in the rain (non-golf). It still kept me dry...28 years later.

the reason your FJ isn't waterproof was most of the waterproofing came from using DWR the coating that helps water bead on the surface of a coat. It likely had no 1 way permeable membrane or it was poor and wore out. If the surface beading of water stops on any jacket, you can buy more DWR and spray it and then bake it in the Dryer.

Epic Max LS 9* Ventus Black 6s / Cobra Radspeed 9* Tensei 1K 6x

Epic Flash 15* / Tour AD TP 7x and DI 7x

Sim Max 19* / DI 8x

Srixon Zx7 4-P

Ping Glide Stealth 52 (bent to 51)

SM6 - 56/10 (bent to 55/9)

Tour Issue LB Hi Toe 60*

Spider Plumber's Neck

TP5

• 3 weeks later...

I hear you Rick. Even with the newer "non-Goretex" options available I wonder how they will perform years down the road. Plus most don't carry lifetime warranties. When you're spending $400, $500 or more on a full suit you want it to last. Attached are the tags that came with my last Footjoy jacket from 5-6 years ago and it clearly states 100% waterproof and at the time it was their top of the line. Granted it also states the two-year warranty but if you only wear it four or five times in actual rain that's pretty weak. Footjoy and others may have started to catch up but their gear still costs similar to Goretex so why take the chance? Simply wash it PROPERLY and it stays dry and breathes fine despite comments to the contrary.

Goretex=Lifetime Waterproof warranty

I own the UA pac lite pants. Will be dry minutes after walking out of the rain. Also I really dig the taper fit. Use this as a second layer when it is below 50. Much better than thermals. I prefer a pull over for the jacket. I have a galvin green as they are the only ones that have pullover goretex.

You need to understand that NOTHING is 100% waterproof not even Gore-Tex unless you take care of it and when you need to, Treat it with a good DWR. ( Durable Water Repellent )

I own Zero Restriction Gore-Tex golf rain gear and it's fantastic as well as Arc'Teryx LEAF articles that are as good as money can buy.

Granger make an excellent technical wash and DWR so if your old rain gear has lost it's effectiveness it can be saved.

T

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

I've had a few FJ jackets and play competitive golf in Scotland so waterproofs become a big deal.

Never had a problem with the FJ. I probably get a new top every 2-3 years admittedly but that is simply me being too easily seduced by new golf stuff rather than the old stuff not working properly. I did get some trouble with a Galvin Green jacket.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

This should help ...

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue