2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Things to do while waiting for Bandon

Edaw68

We've avoided any of the insane sustained rains in our last few trips, so we've probably jinxed it for you guys. That said, two sets of gore-tex, two fully water proof pairs of shoes, and H2NO bags are prep'd and ready.

Spud, will hit you up via message and see if we can all (Edaw and WIPM, yeah) grab a beer at Punchbowl or McKees or Shorty's etc..............monday probably works best since we only have a 10 am on Trails.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Reviving this thread because we're 3 1/2 weeks out and the Bandon Bug is biting hard. Re-reading this helps...

...sorta....

Looks like we will be up there around the same time. The weather forecast out until mid-Feb is extraordinary, mid to high 50s and virtually no rain. I am in full fledged panic mode that mean reversion will kick in and the end of the month will revert to "ark-building" storms.

Positive thoughts only!!

Yes, it's time for the teeth-gnashing about how good the weather is now vs. what it will be like in three weeks...

I try to breathe deeply and remember that every time I've gone, while I may have a day or so (if that) of Monsoon, the rest have all worked out fine.

I will go, I will play, I will love it.

Pearl - what are your dates?

24th to 28th.

We've avoided any of the insane sustained rains in our last few trips, so we've probably jinxed it for you guys. That said, two sets of gore-tex, two fully water proof pairs of shoes, and H2NO bags are prep'd and ready.

Spud, will hit you up via message and see if we can all (Edaw and WIPM, yeah) grab a beer at Punchbowl or McKees or Shorty's etc..............monday probably works best since we only have a 10 am on Trails.

Be sure to bring some of that Pappy...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Reviving this thread because we're 3 1/2 weeks out and the Bandon Bug is biting hard. Re-reading this helps...

...sorta....

Looks like we will be up there around the same time. The weather forecast out until mid-Feb is extraordinary, mid to high 50s and virtually no rain. I am in full fledged panic mode that mean reversion will kick in and the end of the month will revert to "ark-building" storms.

Positive thoughts only!!

Yes, it's time for the teeth-gnashing about how good the weather is now vs. what it will be like in three weeks...

I try to breathe deeply and remember that every time I've gone, while I may have a day or so (if that) of Monsoon, the rest have all worked out fine.

I will go, I will play, I will love it.

Pearl - what are your dates?

24th to 28th.

Yep, we're all there at the same time - Buzlin, too. My spider-sense is tingling. We should call the PD clubhouse and have them clear out the Punchbowl...

Just came up with a couple new (and, actually, legit) activities:

1. re-upping the DWR waterproofing on the GoreTex gear. This entails washing with Nikwax Tech wash and then treating with the Nikwax TX.

2. Same for all the footwear. Nikwax makes a sponge-on product that I'm going to give a try this year.

All my heavy rain gear is old enough and been through the wash enough that the DWR coating on the fabric needs some replenishing. Gotta see the water beading...

Other than that, I'm running out of ways to occupy my time.

If you haven't checked out the course cams in the last couple days, you probably shouldn't. Suffice to say those who gambled on a February date this week are hitting the jackpot.

Now, if it can just hold for three more weeks...

Anyone there March 23-25? I'm thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23

I might be up in Vancouver that week - but I will keep a check on that!

Before I ended up playing down in Monterey last weekend, I thought I might try to go to Bandon over Presidents Day to see SR before they shut it down.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Anyone there March 23-25? I'm thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23

Man, so close, I arrive in Bandon on March 25th

Question for everyone, I'm a Bandon rookie. I walk all my rounds and typically use laser for yardage. Should I get a caddie or no caddie? If you say Caddie, any names you recommend?

Question for everyone, I'm a Bandon rookie. I walk all my rounds and typically use laser for yardage. Should I get a caddie or no caddie? If you say Caddie, any names you recommend?

That's an existential question that is ;)

Been 7 times, never taken a caddy, never missed not having one. Others will say the opposite.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I figured I was walking into that

Been 7 times, never taken a caddy, never missed not having one. Others will say the opposite.

I figured that's what I was asking/starting. I will probably stick with my instincts and say No Caddie.

I figured that's what I was asking/starting. I will probably stick with my instincts and say No Caddie.

I was adamant we wouldn't need a caddie, but buddy insisted on it, and I definitely think it helped. I'd suggest Wyeth or Andy. That said, I get the appeal of not taking one. There are a lot of sprinkler head yardages, coupled with your range finder, you should be fine on yardages. But there were 4-6 shots a round that I'd think I had the line I wanted to take on the tee or an approach that our caddie would tell me I needed to aim farther left or right, and they definitely kept me from going in the trouble. Similar story reading greens. My guess: you're not going to regret taking one if you do, but you're also not going to regret going it alone (ignoring the cost).

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

I’m firmly in the caddie group but I will say it depends on a few things. I’ve been somewhere north of 10 times and have used caddies all but the last couple. I love taking a caddie if the funds are there but the last 2 years I was trying not to spend too much. They are almost all great guys and great company. Not a double bag fan though.

If you get one ask for Kent. Super relaxed guy.

Funny story we each put $25 in a pot and which caddie stuck it closest on Trails #17 (I believe, the last longer par 3) took it all. They were telling us about a group of 24 that comes in and does that but with $100 from everyone in the group. He was saying the caddies team up and a bunch of stuff. Sounded fun and $2400 is a healthy chunk of change for 1 shot. And they have to use the groups clubs, can’t bring their own.

You'll be fine, either way.

I’m doing Monterey this year with my dad. 2019 needs to be Bandon! Need to get these off the bucket list before the miss wants kids! All the courses seem to be fantastic!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I'm doing Monterey this year with my dad. 2019 needs to be Bandon! Need to get these off the bucket list before the miss wants kids! All the courses seem to be fantastic!

It is a ticking clock ;)

Me and my mate did 4/5 trips a year, then child 1 knocked it down to 2/3, child 2 has knocked it down to Bandon only starting this year. Fortunately I'm OK going places on my own.

Best to keep an eye on when Bandon opens up their tee sheets for 2019 (actually they probably they already have) as things get filled earlier and earlier each year.

We booked our foursome in for Thanksgiving '18 a month ago and they were already struggling with room availability for 4 straight nights.

F.T.

I'm doing Monterey this year with my dad. 2019 needs to be Bandon! Need to get these off the bucket list before the miss wants kids! All the courses seem to be fantastic!

It is a ticking clock ;)

Me and my mate did 4/5 trips a year, then child 1 knocked it down to 2/3, child 2 has knocked it down to Bandon only starting this year. Fortunately I'm OK going places on my own.

Best to keep an eye on when Bandon opens up their tee sheets for 2019 (actually they probably they already have) as things get filled earlier and earlier each year.

We booked our foursome in for Thanksgiving '18 a month ago and they were already struggling with room availability for 4 straight nights.

Indeed. I was not on the ball when Feb 19 opened up in January and it was completely full three weeks later. Almost missed March, too.

We'll be up there the 22nd - 26th, first trip for our threesome. Sounds like we'll be seeing a few of you at the Bunker & the Punchbowl!

I arrive late on the 25th, but we have the 'draft' on that night. I'm sure we will end up at the bar afterwards so I may run into you

1. re-upping the DWR waterproofing on the GoreTex gear. This entails washing with Nikwax Tech wash and then treating with the Nikwax TX.

2. Same for all the footwear. Nikwax makes a sponge-on product that I'm going to give a try this year.

All my heavy rain gear is old enough and been through the wash enough that the DWR coating on the fabric needs some replenishing. Gotta see the water beading...

If you haven't checked out the course cams in the last couple days, you probably shouldn't. Suffice to say those who gambled on a February date this week are hitting the jackpot.

Just nikwax'd my jackets and pants and hat and a pair of shoes. Talk about beading! Now they won't weigh 50 lbs by the time we finish our rounds. I didn't realize how much residual detergent I had in my jackets that messed up the bead action. Also breathability should be back too. Sweet.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

Just nikwax'd my jackets and pants and hat and a pair of shoes. Talk about beading! Now they won't weigh 50 lbs by the time we finish our rounds. I didn't realize how much residual detergent I had in my jackets that messed up the bead action. Also breathability should be back too. Sweet.

Nikwax? I just googled that. How much wear you reckon you are getting out of your Goretex before a freshen up?

I'm off to the UK for two weeks in May/June and I doubt I will be able to avoid rain every day.

F.T.

My ZR jacket and pants are in their third year, and I have noticed a lack of beading for the past couple times I've been out in heavy rain. I think I will make this an annual ritual, probably in prep for the pilgrimage to Bandon.

That's where it is most important.

You're supposed to get something like 200 washes from high quality gear? What I had a problem with was poor rinsing of normal laundry detergent. Which really messed up the beading. Once I rinsed my gear really well and dried it, it improved greatly. I went ahead and washed using tech wash and then tx direct wash in, per instructions, and the gear is like brand new. Pretty impressive. Regardless, I'd run your gear under the faucet and see how it does (back, shoulders, sleeves, thighs, etc....). Dirty and detergent really mess up the breathability and beadability.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M