Anybody use 17 / 21 hybrid combo and dump fairway woods??

np78

I haven't hit a good fairway shot in 10 years. Yet I keep a 3 wood or 4 wood in the bag that matches my driver - it's OCD.

I finally find the newer hybrids much better than the older ones and I'm thinking about going 17 / 21 hybrids (G400 or M1 or cobra...)

And ditch fairway woods all together and play 4-P 52 56 60.

This would tighten up my low gaps and really I can hit a 17 or 19 hybrid almost as far as fairway wood but much cleaner....

anyone else?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely not as long as the previous posters, but like the OP, I haven't hit a decent 3 wood in ages. There's nothing more demoralizing than piping a drive down the middle on a par 5, leaving yourself a nice 240-250 yds out, and then completely mishit your 3 wood, taking your once-potential easy birdie to scrambling for par.

I am playing the 17* TM M1 and 21* TM M2 hybrids, but also picked up a few other 17* hybrids (and one old school 14*) to test out against the M1.

TSR3 8* w Autoflex 505x shaft
Titleist 915fd w Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Fujikura Tour Spec Blue 7 

Miura CB1008 4i-PW w Oban CT-115 S shafts
Miura Tour Wedge HB 48*, Miura K Grind 2.0 54* & 60* w Oban Ct-115 wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Red X center shafted putter (I love anything CS)
Titleist Prov1x

An 18* U45 is in my normal set-up which I swap for the 5 wood depending on the course and conditions.

The 3 wood is in my normal set-up but I do swap my 16* U45 the rare times.

My honest personal opinion and experience is, to get swing lessons on hitting a 3 wood.

If you don’t have the time or commitment, than for sure go with the lowest lofted hybrid you can confidently hit with.

3 wood has no replacement in the bag, but you can pull it out and go 3 woodless if you get used to the shorter distance of a 2 hybrid. Now in the case of short hitters and older players, a bag without a 3 wood implies a great disadvantage when facing par 5s or long par 4s, especially in harsh weather.

I suggest searching for a suitable 3 wood because it works magic on your confidence or else revise your swing If this is really the club you can’t hit in your bag. My old Adams 3 woods lost the soleweight and I couldn’t get it back. I spent 4 years trying replacements that I couldn’t hit the way I wanted. Las year I finally found an old TM RBZ in mint state that has been doing its job like a wizard.

I have 0 and I mean 0 confidence in fairway woods.....

I've had many fairway woods over the years - Hit them well off the tee (Until I get the occasional topped ball) but can't hit them off the deck. Any of them .

Last year I tried a 19 and 23 deg 816H1 hybrid combo and didn't hit my 3 wood once in rounds that mattered.

I just sold my M2 fairway wood and will be replacing it with a 17 deg hybrid this year.....

Just need to find a pair of hybrids looking around 17 and 22 ish then go like OP 4-PW 3 wedges

2024 Bag TBD

Nope. I tried the 17 degree hybrid once. That was enough for me. Just couldn't hit it cleanly for some reason. The 21 degree hybrid for whatever reason works perfectly fine for me.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

Even though I advocate just using hybrids on these boards, I keep buying fairway woods, but I can’t rely on a decent shot with them. I just put too much pressure on myself when in use it on the course. Somehow I don’t trust that it will get the ball up high enough, so I unconsciously try to help it up by scooping on leaning back, which leads to chunked or topped shots, or slices when I try not to try too hard.

So once again I’ll advise anyone that can’t rely on a decent fairway wood shot, to just use a lower lofted hybrid. And once again, I just bought a new wood because I felt I was missing out without one.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

On a side note: I can see why one would prefer matching woods and drivers from an ocd standpoint -I do too-, but my own ocd tendencies are actually better served by having a number 2 on my second longest club instead of having a 3 wood, and 3 hybrid.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Recently our course hosted an area PGA player ability test. Two weeks before, the starter paired me with a young assistant pro who wanted a playing tour of the course.

For long clubs he carried a driver, a 2H and a 4H. On two of our par 5s, he had the range to get home in two with a 2H. One he put the ball on the fringe, the other he put into a greenside bunker, pin high.

He said the 2H was his "go to" long club, and he used it on a couple of par 4 tee shots for positioning.

Last year, I played in a college benefit scramble. On a downhill 280-yd. par 4, you could pay $5 to have one of the college golfers hit your drive for you. Our varsity guy, about 5-foot-9 and maybe 150 lbs., was using a 2H. He said he tried a 3W in warm-ups, but was flying the green. He put a shot on the right fringe for us.

(I hit my best driver shot of the day on that hole, but it came up 20 yards short of the green.)

People who dump FWs for hybrids only play a whole different game than I do!

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I find I am more consistent with the Adam #1 hybrid then most 3 woods. Plus, there really isn't that big of loss in distances, so being stupid and going for par 5's in two is always my first option. The Ping crossover is a money club off the tee.

- Adam Super S 15 Hybrid - Matrix Kujoh 75 S

- Ping Crossover 3 - C-Taper S+

thx

Jeff

Ping G424 Max (9) - Ping Tour 65 S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid (16) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
Ping G425 3 Hybrid (20) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
PXG Gen 5 0331P irons 5 - G - Steel fiber PR I110

Square Strike Chipper (black) 45 (Damn chipping yips)
Cleveland CBX 2 54 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 58 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Scotty X5 duel 33 in / 40g    

9 HC

I go

Driver (tee)

3 Wood (tee)

17 (tee)

21 degree

5-p

3 options off the tee, basically because I like to make sure I'm giving myself a good chance from the start.

Not going to hit anything longer than my 17 off the deck because it's the longest club I can hit with certainty in an ok result off the deck.I hit it about 210, anything longer than that and why risk it.

For me going for a green in 2 is usually just as likely to result in a triple than in a birdie. So I play from approach to the tee.

Timely post for me. I'm trying to decide on either going with a 4 wood or a 17 degree hybrid. Currently, I really only use a 19 degree hybrid after my driver on par 5s. What I find, is that I am usually short of the green on my second shot. I have never had any success with consistently hitting a 3 wood.

Not exactly, but I went with 22* and 26* Ping G Hybrids and I couldn't be happier. I'm thinking of ditching my 16* 4-wood for a 17* G. I frankly don't know how they can possibly improve upon this club much. The look at address alone just gives so much confidence and there aren't that many situations where I need the distance from my 4-wood. I never use it off the tee. It's pretty hard to miss a shot with these Ping Hybrids and they even easy to work either way if you have to. They sit nice and neutral-to-open which is also hard to find. I went through quite a few hybrids before landing on these G's, including other Ping models, TM's, Nikes, et al and these have won their spot by a mile. Along with my '16 M2, I don't see these going anywhere....ever.

I have a 3w in the bag just because I have an empty spot. I generally talk myself out of using it unless there is some game being played where I have to try to reach 250+ off the deck. Anything less and I can unload on a hybrid to get there. My Cobra Bio Cell 16.5 hybrid is also everything I need off the tee behind my driver. I don't think the headcover has come off my 3w in the last 5 rounds.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I have a 18 degree hybrid with an inch longer shaft that I use as a 4 wood replacement is a club that I live does the job can go long and low or high and soft but does the job and keeps me in play !!!

Titleist TSI2 Hzrdus Smoke 

Titleist TS2 4 wood 

Titleist u500 3 iron 

Titleist 718CB 4-9

Vokey 46,50,54

Wedgeworks 58 T 

Scotty Cameron Circle T SB+
TP5 X
Twitter @5_cav

Not anymore, as I’ve found a 3 wood I love.

However, going back maybe 4-5 years, I decided to drop 3 wood, for probably a year or so.

Had a 17 degree 910H, which I played at 16.25. And then had a 19 degree 913H that I played at 20.5.

The 910H was near enough as long as a 3 wood but, at the time at least, I found it far more playable. And the 913H at that loft nicely filled the gap between the 910H and my 4 iron.

If you struggle to find a 3 wood you’re comfortable with, there are definitely worse ways to combat it than the above

Ugh, this again. "Hey guys, struggling with my six iron. Considering pulling it for a seven iron. It goes shorter, but I can hit it better. Thoughts?"

*massive eye roll*

It doesn't matter how good you hit the club. Build your bag for the shots you need on the course not so they look pretty while you come up 15 yards short. If your course allows for a 17 hybrid into the par 5s, play it. If not, play a 3 wood.

You don't play an iron set that only has the irons your good at hitting in it, you play an iron set that has solid gapping. You don't play woods that only has the clubs you are good at hitting in it, you play a wood set that has solid gapping.

I haven't hit a good fairway shot in 10 years.

Right, so the guy who was asking us in another thread which set of incredibly hard to hit blades to get hasn't hit a good fairway shot in a decade. OK.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Ugh, this again. "Hey guys, struggling with my six iron. Considering pulling it for a seven iron. It goes shorter, but I can hit it better. Thoughts?"

*massive eye roll*

It doesn't matter how good you hit the club. Build your bag for the shots you need on the course not so they look pretty while you come up 15 yards short. If your course allows for a 17 hybrid into the par 5s, play it. If not, play a 3 wood.

You don't play an iron set that only has the irons your good at hitting in it, you play an iron set that has solid gapping. You don't play woods that only has the clubs you are good at hitting in it, you play a wood set that has solid gapping.

Right, so the guy who was asking us in another thread which set of incredibly hard to hit blades to get hasn't hit a good fairway shot in a decade. OK.

You ok, hun?

*massive eye roll*

what are you talking about??

Surely you optimise your set so that they are what you can perform best with and, if necessary, alter your strategy a bit?

Like, generally speaking, a course isn’t JUST going to set up for a 3 wood or JUST for a hybrid.

So, there may be holes that can be reached with the hybrids. Great. And those that can’t be reached, you accept a chip and putt or short pitch then putt might be what’s required.

Surely that is better than persisting with a club the garners no confidence? Like, if someone is hitting a 3 wood and bringing bogey into the equation too often, when it should be a good opportunity for birdie, then that’s not ideal, I would say.

Guess the moral is, find what works for YOU, not for someone else.

I’ve never been able to hit fairway woods well either and so I went with 17* and 19* hybrid setup. It’s worked out well for me but as others have said everybody’s game is different. I hit the 19* about 215yds and the 17* about 240-250yds and I know I can reach most par 5s in two if I’m striking the ball well.

In a perfect world I’d love to have the time to perfect hitting a three wood off the tee and off the deck and find one I like, but the reality is that I just don’t. So while I may sacrifice a bit of distance with my setup, I’ll take solid ball striking over forcing myself to play something I can’t hit.

Did you end up with the xforged 2018 or the Ap2s?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1570814-callaway-xforged-2018-vs-ap2-718-anybody-directly-compare/page__p__16526434#entry16526434

If you literally haven't hit a good fairway in 10 years, you may need more forgiveness in your irons.

I'm mostly messing with you, but this thread is a perfect example of how we make up nonsense in our heads to try to explain our games. There is no way you got the best numbers out of all the irons you tried with a forged blade and you literally cannot hit a 3 wood.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S