2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TM Twist Face Rumor

JStang

Why is everyone hating so hard on MGS recently? All because of the Evnroll claims from last week? Or is there more that I did not see.

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean having customized bulge and roll only makes sense. Not everyone's toe miss is a hook/heel shot is a cut. I wouldn't call this a real indictment of TaylorMade even if it was true. It's only a bad look to me if the technology doesn't actually do anything (which I may suspect to be the case).

I remember tiger's custom Nike drivers having a special bulge and roll that he liked to see. I think it's probably fairly common.

Why is everyone hating so hard on MGS recently? All because of the Evnroll claims from last week? Or is there more that I did not see.

I'd say it is definitely more than the Evnroll stuff. I think they are rubbing people the wrong way with their general rhetoric among other things...

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

I'd say it is definitely more than the Evnroll stuff. I think they are rubbing people the wrong way with their general rhetoric among other things...

Gotcha. I definitely agree they don't use the correct terminology all the time but I do have a hard time believing they're "in bed" with Evnroll or any other manufacturer after how steadfast they have been that they will never ever be compensated for reviews. Just seems like if it were ever confirmed that their entire site would be discredited in about 10 seconds haha.

I do love the Tech vs. No Tech test they say they are doing though! Lamb vs. Evnroll. IDGAF who wins but I am surely going to love seeing the responses in the forums hahaha.

Gotcha. I definitely agree they don't use the correct terminology all the time but I do have a hard time believing they're "in bed" with Evnroll or any other manufacturer after how steadfast they have been that they will never ever be compensated for reviews. Just seems like if it were ever confirmed that their entire site would be discredited in about 10 seconds haha.

I do love the Tech vs. No Tech test they say they are doing though! Lamb vs. Evnroll. IDGAF who wins but I am surely going to love seeing the responses in the forums hahaha.

I used to follow MC & MGS but to be honest, it's all just noise to me. The only way to tell what club is "most wanted" or gets me my 262 yards is to hit it. Anyone buying a club based on internet reviews deserves the poor results they get from not doing their own testing.

Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
M1 w/ Diamana Thump
M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

I used to follow MC & MGS but to be honest, it's all just noise to me. The only way to tell what club is "most wanted" or gets me my 262 yards is to hit it. Anyone buying a club based on internet reviews deserves the poor results they get from not doing their own testing.

I have to disagree with this. 99% of consumers can't go out and test every club they think might fit their game. It's nice to have a company that will provide (hopefully) independent testing that can at least help point a consumer in the right direction.

I think the putting test is where MGS is most helpful. IMO, if you're buying just about any club other than a putter, go get fit for the shaft and then you can pretty much pick any head that you want and see results EXTREMELY similar to each other. From personal testing I do think Evnroll tech works. Does the ball "curve?" Haha no I've never seen that. But my missed putts always seemed to be closer than I felt they would be when I played a ER1 and ER3 last year.

Honestly I will probably pick up the new model ER3 and/or the 1.2 this year.

For me, their obvious bias against companies who don't participate in the MGS testing has gotten very old and tiring. The constant "These companies didn't send equipment, so it shows they have something to hide!" rhetoric was just too much. And then they continue to take shots at these companies after the fact.

Recently, they had a spat with TaylorMade regarding sponsorship deals and who gets paid to play equipment. Even after someone from TaylorMade gave them facts, MGS still complains about wanting "transparency." To an outsider like me, they only seem concerned with facts when it fits their narrative. That's a problem when your whole brand is built on truth and data.

The Evnroll spat with Phil Kenyon didn't do them any favors, either. They need more informed people representing their brand.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I don't know about other people, but they are sounding like used car sales people now. I get emails all the time like, this "Is it REALLY the number one ball in the market now????! ////1!?!?!1/1!?!?!!?!?" or just the other day, "SHOTS FIRED!!! Callway vs Titleist". Wtf???

They've just seemed to have gone from a small little company that did honest and open testing that was pretty much just test a club, post the data to trying to convince me that one companies stuff is or isn't good, that company A's claims are bogus, reporting on golf news, etc.

Just test clubs, I don't want your opinion. Post the data that's relevant and then rinse and repeat. And it's not even because I use this data to buy clubs, I just like seeing data that you can't get out of an OEM (like CG placement relative to other clubs, MOI, etc).

For me, their obvious bias against companies who don't participate in the MGS testing has gotten very old and tiring. The constant "These companies didn't send equipment, so it shows they have something to hide!" rhetoric was just too much. And then they continue to take shots at these companies after the fact.

Recently, they had a spat with TaylorMade regarding sponsorship deals and who gets paid to play equipment. Even after someone from TaylorMade gave them facts, MGS still complains about wanting "transparency." To an outsider like me, they only seem concerned with facts when it fits their narrative. That's a problem when your whole brand is built on truth and data.

The Evnroll spat with Phil Kenyon didn't do them any favors, either. They need more informed people representing their brand.

Can you post link or give background to EVNROLL thing?? I know the past 2 years they loved them.... did they decide to stop sending MGS putters?

I don't know about other people, but they are sounding like used car sales people now. I get emails all the time like, this "Is it REALLY the number one ball in the market now????! ////1!?!?!1/1!?!?!!?!?" or just the other day, "SHOTS FIRED!!! Callway vs Titleist". Wtf???

They've just seemed to have gone from a small little company that did honest and open testing that was pretty much just test a club, post the data to trying to convince me that one companies stuff is or isn't good, that company A's claims are bogus, reporting on golf news, etc.

Just test clubs, I don't want your opinion. Post the data that's relevant and then rinse and repeat. And it's not even because I use this data to buy clubs, I just like seeing data that you can't get out of an OEM (like CG placement relative to other clubs, MOI, etc).

Can you post link or give background to EVNROLL thing?? I know the past 2 years they loved them.... did they decide to stop sending MGS putters?

MGS posted this last week and took quite a bit of flak for it being absolutely false. Basically saying that "tech" putters auto-correct the path of the ball on mis-hits.

DVhIMPmWAAAkpBz.jpg

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Sounds like a twist face putter

*takes to twitter*

"so, evnroll - this is just a question, been hearing rumors your putter has twist face, is this true?"

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

seems to me though that he wouldn't be making this up. There is currently a lot of risk for him to make up something, He tagged some other reputable equipment testers looking to get an answer to the question. I would say that he is legitimately asking. just comes across wrong because of his ongoing beef with TM and his current persona. Also, as a person that "appears' to try and be at the forefront of golf equipment knowledge, that he would know what resources were available to verify before reaching out to secondary sources.

I think the group tagged must believe there to be something to it. The number of people who have tested it and bought them only to find it doing the opposite of what they thought raises the question of why Tour players haven't suffered the same. Yes they're pros but Rory hitting a 60 yard cut would surely have exaggerated negative co consequences compared to Average Joe. If people on the ground notice it then you'd expect some Tour Pros not to use it. Be interesting to see how it develops if only for the ant Crossfield LOLZ comments.

Oh I saw that picture on IG.... I thought Evnroll's IG account posted it?

From the data I saw on youtube from Alistair Davies, the Evrnoll putters do produce a minor amount of side spin on off center hits.... but something so small it's negligible, like 2 rpm or something. It wouldn't be enough to physically make a ball curve like that. Fast forward in the video to 3:45. Although, I do notice the face angle is not 100% square to path (it's -.12) so I do not know if the side spin is caused by gearing, or because face to path was not 0.

This is the video I'm talking about... Maybe I just interpreted it wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBrLy1fPDaw&t=340s

I saw the drawing last week and just shook my head. MGS does a good job at testing (especially the MOI and COG drivers test) but one person there in particular gets real butt hurt when he doesn't get his way. The bias is very transparent which degrades the testing they do.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Just scrolled through the Kenyon twitter feed on this and it was pretty amusing. Word to Chris Nickel - when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Crossfield is salty about TM not sending him anything, Mark just trying to stir the pot. Twistface really isn't detrimental to a professional. Crossfield always bashes tech and features simply because he likes to pander to the people that watch his videos and hardly understand what to look for in a club.

We have a winner. Now that doesn't mean there couldn't be non twist face heads at some point. Taylormade is excellent about making Tour specific product for their staffers, but I would think such a thing would require a USGA retest since the actual construction would be altered.

IBTL

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Crossfield is salty about TM not sending him anything, Mark just trying to stir the pot. Twistface really isn't detrimental to a professional. Crossfield always bashes tech and features simply because he likes to pander to the people that watch his videos and hardly understand what to look for in a club.

We have a winner. Now that doesn't mean there couldn't be non twist face heads at some point. Taylormade is excellent about making Tour specific product for their staffers, but I would think such a thing would require a USGA retest since the actual construction would be altered.

Well if Tiger keeps hitting his M3 as crappy as he did at Torrey two weeks ago I wouldn’t be surprised at all by a new Tiger “Tour” version popping up. ; )

I unfollowed MC on twitter.

lol that'll show him

But yeah, unfollowed him on all social media a while ago as well. Every single review was exactly the same.

Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
M1 w/ Diamana Thump
M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

lol that'll show him

But yeah, unfollowed him on all social media a while ago as well. Every single review was exactly the same.

Not defending him, but what do you expect? Distances aren't changing... MOI can only go so far... The story is the same year after year. He's just more open about it. RS will act like there's all this new stuff going on, when the answer is always simple: Go get fit and find out what you need for yourself. Minor changes in looks, feel, sound can matter but it's totally subjective and down to the individual.

Wow such heated debate over something I think means absolutely nothing to the pros. Twist face is meant to help with shots on high toe and low heel. Those pros wear out center of the club face the size of a dime, having twist face or not really means nothing to them.

It is only logical if they did pick clubs with as little bulge and roll as possible, and wouldn't surprise me the least bit.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

lol that'll show him

Not defending him, but what do you expect? Distances aren't changing... MOI can only go so far... The story is the same year after year. He's just more open about it. RS will act like there's all this new stuff going on, when the answer is always simple: Go get fit and find out what you need for yourself. Minor changes in looks, feel, sound can matter but it's totally subjective and down to the individual.

These are facts.....but if you can get fit with a plethora of shafts to try, there is distance and consistency to be gained!

lol that'll show him

These are facts.....but if you can get fit with a plethora of shafts to try, there is distance and consistency to be gained!

Yeah due to optimizing the shaft mostly.

I went from a Tensei Blue in my M2 and only changing shaft to a speeder evo ii, gained like 10mph ball speed and probably .08 on smash factor. Changing head with the same shaft might have gained me .01 smash and 2mph speed. Putting a new head on my new shaft might then only gain me 1mph speed from there, and .005 on smash (basically, negligible). I know it's anecdote, but I literally just experienced this last week.

Forgiveness certainly could go up say between my current M2 and a G400, but I'm not going to get measurable differences taking 10 swings. Maybe over the course of 500+ swings during a season, I could see some changes in FIR or total distance.

I’m not expert, but I don€™t see how eliminating twist face would call for retest. All they would be doing is tweaking the loft on the driver face. Twist face is basically is variable lofts across the face. Tigers unicorn€€ driver looked like the crown of a 17 and sole of 16€™ M2 stuck together surely that would have required testing if a different lofted€ face would.