2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ric Shiels- Lumine pro am score

Londoner

Can anyone shed light on the pro's (one pro further up) who has a handicap? I was under the illusion that no pro on the planet has a handicap?

Back on topic; Rick said in his pre round vlog he was driving the ball oonbelievable! Best part of his game and his vlogs back that up.

There can be no excuses as Finch also does daily vlogs etc etc and shot a decent score for a driving range pro (I really hate his moveaway on all swings though)

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get how some are suggesting vanity cap, whatever handicap he has is taken from the comps he plays in (not sure this one would count for his system) and he's posted up his scores in the area tournaments he's played in, so whatever handicap he has should be legit.

Well in his intro video before the tournament began, he claimed he doesn't even have a handicap, because he's a Pro. (Which doesn't even make any sense).

pQfbN8U.png

Also, when looking up "Shiels" on GHIN's website, nothing comes up. So maybe he actually doesn't hold a handicap for some odd reason?

Alot pros dont

I thought GHIN was a US based system? The UK uses something different no?

Some pro's here in Australia maintain a handicap, but it's because they a financial member of a club and they play in the normal members club comps ie. midweek or Sat/Sun comps.

Marc Leishman comes to mind, not sure about posting a link here whether it will stay here or not (sorry forums rules guy!)

https://aussiegolfer.com.au/marc-leishman-wins-a-golf-ball-playing-off-7-in-port-fairy-wednesday-comp/

He's a member at Warrnambool, on the SW coast of Vic. Windy as hell a lot of the time, hence why he's so good in the windy conditions.

Played off +7 for the day (I had his golf H/C # to look up his actual, I remember it being around +5.5) had 36 points, wins a ball in the ball sweep/down the line.

Google "leishman ball down the line port fairy" if the link doesnt make it.

I've seen or played with a few other Aussie pros who maintain a cap as well, though they dont get to play too much club golf necessarily. And obviously they dont use the caps in pro tournaments.

A lot of the US pros will have a handicap that is used for when they play in club comps for the home course, I remember Bubba being of +7.7 at Isleworth (google "bubba watson handicap isleworth") and click the first link and you'll see some other notables.

If playing golf is not your living then we are all capable of bad weeks . Also how many tourny's has he played this year and when you know the internet world is watching then it might be hard to focus on golf. I would be really surprised if other tourny golfers would criticize how anyone played a weekend and certainly no offence to higher caps or non tourny players but these are the ones usually criticizing. I missed the cut at nationals that was for me 9rds in nine days after losing a tourny by a shot the previous 4 days and all some people could say is did you choke were you nervous, the fact that I played 9rds in nine days and 3 months later would get a total hip replacement , no the only thing was that they couldn't understand the 79-77. Rick is excellent at what he does , I enjoy his video's and I could care less what his tourny scores are, his swing looks just fine.

You are correct- nobody cares about anything but the scorecard. Pending hip replacement, too many rounds, arse itches.....personal problems. That week he/you sucked.

I don't get how some are suggesting vanity cap, whatever handicap he has is taken from the comps he plays in (not sure this one would count for his system) and he's posted up his scores in the area tournaments he's played in, so whatever handicap he has should be legit.

Well in his intro video before the tournament began, he claimed he doesn't even have a handicap, because he's a Pro. (Which doesn't even make any sense).

pQfbN8U.png

Also, when looking up "Shiels" on GHIN's website, nothing comes up. So maybe he actually doesn't hold a handicap for some odd reason?

Alot pros dont

Thanks and there you are - he apparently doesn't.

Having said that, it's not hard to search his event results for those that are curious. Some good, some not good - inconsistent as you might expect.

Rahm hasnt shot under par in his last 3 sundays. Super inconsistent! He must suck too!

Most golfers shoot really high and really low. Some golfers shoot the same number all the time. Few golfers shoot the same score most of the time and when the moment calls for it shoot below their average.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Also, he's definitely not a "hack". I think he's just not been focusing on tournament golf as of late. Here are his stats from 2016.

XoXsR9i.png

Making 11 cuts from 12 events. Averaging 72.4 in tournament conditions. Yeah, I doubt many people on here can do the same.

Um, those appear to be one day events. 12 events, 12 rounds.

Not too many 1 day events have cuts. I've yet to play in one. Maybe that's something they do over on that side of the pond.

Chris Herrbach

Director of Golf - American Heroes Foundation

WITB:
Driver: Ping G430 LST 
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Titanium @14.25* 
Hybrid: PING G425
Irons: PING i230 4-PW 
Wedges: GW - PING Glide 3.0 50, SW Mizuno T22 54*, LW Indi TT 60*
Putter: LAB Golf LINK with Stability Tour Black shaft.

Can anyone shed light on the pro's (one pro further up) who has a handicap? I was under the illusion that no pro on the planet has a handicap?

Many enter their scores into the system like everyone else. It’s how we know Tiger’s 2007 handicap at Isleworth was +11, Bubba +7, etc.. They aren’t super accurate, as most don’t enter all their rounds, but we can all agree the guys on tour play alright in tournaments.

What this comes down to is the difference between not having a handicap and not needing a handicap. Professionals don’t need a handicap for pro events, but they can still have one. I’m sure Rick knows exactly what his handicap is, but said he didn’t have one as a way to relieve pressure.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Also, he's definitely not a "hack". I think he's just not been focusing on tournament golf as of late. Here are his stats from 2016.

XoXsR9i.png

Making 11 cuts from 12 events. Averaging 72.4 in tournament conditions. Yeah, I doubt many people on here can do the same.

As stated above - none of the events he played in had a cut. 1 round in the 60s from 12, hardly the performances of a guy likely to qualify for The Open.

I think he's much better than the scores he shot in this event. Most here have no idea how much time and work goes into keeping a social media profile like his. People who don't understand it criticize it as "fake" business but I assure you that it's real work. My daughter does the same for her business on several platforms and the poor kid works 14 hours a day, seven days a week at it....with six employees/interns also working at it. She, like Shiels, has a very successful business but her real social/family life does suffer as a result. It's what it takes these days to run a successful internet based business. That doesn't even consider the actual logistics of running the business and all that entails. Who has time to play serious golf? I give Shiels props for putting himself out there for criticism. He could just stay away from competition and let everyone just assume that he's a great player but he doesn't. I admire the hell out of him for creating international recognition and a big business out of absolute thin air....how can you criticize that? It's remarkable.

My usual group of playing partners are 4 pga pros from my area... none carry handicaps because they are pros. When pros sign up for tournament, they don't ask for handicaps so why have one...

I don't play in any events that require a handicap, and I have one. It's a real nice, simple, easy way to know where your game is at. If someone asks how good you are at golf, you can shoot off a simple number that most people will understand. Also, bragging rights, my dude.

That I'm not sure. On GHIN's website, when you go to the lookup function it asks for a State and Last Name. It allowed me to choose Europe/England as the State. They actually have most foreign countries listed. Which makes me assume you can have a GHIN outside of America.

He said on social media that for some reason he gets very nervous when playing competitive golf. It sounds like that may have affected him again.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

I think he's much better than the scores he shot in this event. Most here have no idea how much time and work goes into keeping a social media profile like his. People who don't understand it criticize it as "fake" business but I assure you that it's real work. My daughter does the same for her business on several platforms and the poor kid works 14 hours a day, seven days a week at it....with six employees/interns also working at it. She, like Shiels, has a very successful business but her real social/family life does suffer as a result. It's what it takes these days to run a successful internet based business. That doesn't even consider the actual logistics of running the business and all that entails. Who has time to play serious golf? I give Shiels props for putting himself out there for criticism. He could just stay away from competition and let everyone just assume that he's a great player but he doesn't. I admire the hell out of him for creating international recognition and a big business out of absolute thin air....how can you criticize that? It's remarkable.

I mentioned upthread that it must be very time-consuming to be a YouTube 'celebrity". Which is probably one reason why he isn't much of a player.

But the fact remains, he does not actually play the game at an especially high level of accomplishment. Which is why I keep wondering why anyone cares what he says about golf clubs (which mostly consists of regurgitated marketing gobbledegook anyway) or why anyone would want to learn from him as a golf teacher.

There are a hundred guys on GolfWRX who know more about golf equipment than Rick Shiels and there are at least 20 guys at my golf club who are better players. Obviously YouTube fame as a golf pseudo-authority requires no particular equipment knowledge nor does it require being able to, you know, shoot around par once in a while from the back tees.

I don’t know why Shiels should be held to a higher standard than any of these other teachers or “authorities”. I’m pretty sure that if you threw Butch Harmon, Hank Haney, Rick Smith, et al out there, they wouldn’t fare any better. That wouldn’t diminish their credentials as teachers. Nor do David Duval’s poor showings lately hurt his credibility, at all. Shiels is doing what he’s doing at a very high level, just like those guys are. You can only do so much with the time you’ve got and he’s using his time to present a very high quality product to his followers. Is he the last word?...probably not, but he’s reliable and interesting to watch and listen to for many. It’s as much entertainment as educational. He’s got a huge audience...hard to argue with his success. Personally, I don’t expect him to be the greatest player there is. None of my great teachers have been great players. In fact, many of them rarely even have the time to play, much less practice.

It you find him entertaining, great. Not saying he doesn't or shouldn't have his audience.

I just can't figure why anyone would be surprised he shoots a million in some tournament. If you've seen his videos where he plays, it's no surprise at all.

And I sure as heck can't imagine anyone considers him an "authority" on golf clubs. Of course the fact I can't imagine it doesn't mean it ain't true...

The only Pro-Am I've played in, the three of us Ams each got our handicap strokes (one of us was scratch as it turned out) and the Pro played off scratch. So I guess in theory some of the Pros were better players and some were worse but there was no handicapping to equalize them.

I'll also say my teams Pro was suffering through a bout of the shanks and we were playing a links course in rain and a 20-30mph wind. So his round was very Rick Shiels-esque on that particular day!

This is why I only listen to Rob Potter.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

XoXsR9i.png

Um, those appear to be one day events. 12 events, 12 rounds.

Not too many 1 day events have cuts. I've yet to play in one. Maybe that's something they do over on that side of the pond.

They also appear to be actual scores.

And yes, Monday events. Over on this side of the pond PGA sections have Monday events, at least where we live, all throughout the season - that's when folks have some time to actually play.

His snap hooks must've not been "just missing the fairway" like they do in his reviews :butcher:

As Lockey would say "How embarrassing"

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

His snap hooks must've not been "just missing the fairway" like they do in his reviews :butcher:

One reason I'm surprised people pay for lessons from him. 40 yards left or right is "just missing fairway."

Half that distance left or right at my course and you'd be three off the tee.

One reason I'm surprised people pay for lessons from him. 40 yards left or right is "just missing fairway."

Half that distance left or right at my course and you'd be three off the tee.

think its about $200 a lesson also :swoon:

I see he's now on the Golf Channel panel testing drivers with the aim of coming up with a new design which will be built!

I'm not a fan, HOWEVER, he has created a decent living for his family from thin air- y'all gotta respect that.

To be fair he did say on his instagram it was some of his worst competitive golf ever. Good honesty I thought.

The guy does a good job producing relevant content for golfers who frequent forums like GolfWRX.

For me, he's a lot more value add than people like Paige S, who fights cyber bullying in her bikini from magazine covers while shooting 100. Just my take.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

pQfbN8U.png

Alot pros dont

We use Congu, link attached in case anyone is interested.

http://www.congu.co.uk

There are rumours of a world wide handicap system coming in but who knows.

You only have to be a 4 handicap to turn pro over here, I think the playing test is now similar to the US one.

Pros over here are generally not allowed to play in the club competitions so he won't have a handicap of any sort officially.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

On vacation with his family, little or no play or practice in winter, not all that surprising. I'll bet anyone he played with had a great time.

I understand all that but my pal plays off 1 and has a day job. I can't see him scoring like that.

Okay, so is this or isn't it a bash? Your responses haven't really seemed to provide much in the way of support. Let's have a "get 'em next time, Rick!"

Stating facts isn't a bash. For someone who makes his living based on his alleged golf knowledge and skill, that's a very poor score.

I understand all that but my pal plays off 1 and has a day job. I can't see him scoring like that.

It does happen.

+2 over par winning it at a 6,300 yard course either tells me the field stinks or the conditions were horrendous. I tend to take the latter. And I don't know about over in Europe, but in the states you can get on a lot of gimmicky courses.

I don't think Shiels is Tour level caliber talent, but I think it's fair to say that he's far better than shooting 88 on a 6,300 yard course.

RH