Ric Shiels- Lumine pro am score

Londoner

Let me ask this of the Rick Shiels followers.

Can you think of anything you learned from one of his equipment reviews that

a) you didn't already know

b) you couldn't have found out by reading the company's marketing material for the club

c) you consider being correct and authoritative rather than just numbers from a handful of random swings off a mat with a GC2

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b) you couldn't have found out by reading the company's marketing material for the club

He constantly contradicts marketing materials and has no issue voicing displeasure or explaining less-than-stellar results with clubs.

In fact, he actively tells people to ignore all packaging for golf balls, because they all claim the same thing.

c) you consider being correct and authoritative rather than just numbers from a handful of random swings off a mat with a GC2

I will say this. When he did his reviews of Titleist, Callaway, Ping drivers from the last five years and showed very little difference between them.... it muted my desire to buy the latest and greatest :-)

But that’s more of a personal problem. I like clubs.

I haven't seen an actual link to the leaderboard, so....

http://www.pgae.com/event/lumine-international-pro-am/2018-costa-daurada-international-pro-am/#/competition/1360930/results

Sorry if I missed the link in the 4 pages.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Guy had a bad 3 days. He's a nice fella talking about clubs on Youtube. Give him a break.

It's not like he did a shoot for the SI Swimsuit Issue under the guise of spreading the word about cyber-bullying ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I will say this. When he did his reviews of Titleist, Callaway, Ping drivers from the last five years and showed very little difference between them.... it muted my desire to buy the latest and greatest :-)

But that’s more of a personal problem. I like clubs.

Agreed. I bought a Ping G20 on the strength of that and actually hit better than any of me newer drivers. However the new Cleveland HB is tops.

But yes, I thought they were an excellent series of videos.

His snap hooks must've not been "just missing the fairway" like they do in his reviews :butcher:

As Lockey would say "How embarrassing"

One reason I'm surprised people pay for lessons from him. 40 yards left or right is "just missing fairway."

Half that distance left or right at my course and you'd be three off the tee.

think its about $200 a lesson also :swoon:

I see he's now on the Golf Channel panel testing drivers with the aim of coming up with a new design which will be built!

I'm not a fan, HOWEVER, he has created a decent living for his family from thin air- y'all gotta respect that.

I bet he would like $200 per lesson. More like $140 for 3 X 1/2 hour sessions.

He is ranked a top 25 coach in the UK by one of the magazines which is a bit of a shock.

Yeah fair play to him for making some cash from it.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56D & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist - Pro V1

Guy had a bad 3 days. He's a nice fella talking about clubs on Youtube. Give him a break.

It's not like he did a shoot for the SI Swimsuit Issue under the guise of spreading the word about cyber-bullying ;)

there really isn't much else the S gal can sell...kaboom daddy

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Agree with a post in the beginning. RS does decent reviews (meaning his methods are pretty decent) but by no means is a "good" golfer by professional standards. I get the conditions were tough... maybe he's been busy with reviews and not practicing real golf, but everybody played in the same conditions for that tourney.

I've watched vlogs he's had in the past in normal summer conditions where he tosses up a 75-78 at best during a casual round with friends. Blaire from Formula1 golf regularly tosses up scores in the 60's, and the main Cartbarnguy tosses up scores under par all the time.

Rick is popular because he's a (seemingly) nice dude and has enough time and know how to market himself in the right way. Relatively speaking he's really not a great golfer and but he's built up quite a support base. As long as he doesn't get political he probably isn't going anywhere.

So he shot in the 80s for 3 days....happens lol!

So do you 10 caps who are baggin on him wiliing to put your money up against him??...no...thought so cause don't mean a thing!!

I would consider putting my money 'most any other teaching pro who is playing against Rick in a tournament.

So do you 10 caps who are baggin on him wiliing to put your money up against him??...no...thought so cause don't mean a thing!!

That's a lame thing to say. 10 cap is a 10 cap. RS claims to be a pro with "no handicap" so I'd assume that means scratch. Do you think a 4 is going to beat a touring PGA player? Because we've gone that road before, multiple times.

Yes, bad days/weekends happen to everybody. I don't pay him too much attention but the vlogs I do watch.... Don't think I've really seen him shoot Par too many times, let alone break it.

Richie,

I believe someone upthread stated that it was 6,300 meters. Which is a somewhat different thing!

It reads on the scorecard. :)

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

I see he's now on the Golf Channel panel testing drivers with the aim of coming up with a new design which will be built!

I'm not a fan, HOWEVER, he has created a decent living for his family from thin air- y'all gotta respect that.

Not even close.

esjtgnS.png

£35 per half hour, which is slightly less than $50 USD per half hour. So if you were to do 2 back-to-back lessons, it'd be less than half of what you posted.

That pricing is right in line with what most coaches around my part charge.

Rick 100% has a vanity cap. He plays terribly in a lot of his vlogs. He said he had a great back 9 at sawgrass and had 4 birdies, but in his video he didn' make a single putt. Says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water. He also got an 8 on 18.

I don't even know who the guy is but I can't stop re-reading and laughing at this sentence, "says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water"...thank you for this

Richie,

I believe someone upthread stated that it was 6,300 meters. Which is a somewhat different thing!

Thanks.

Even still, I see Rick being better than a 88 shooter on a 6,900 yard course.

RH

I agree, he played awful that week as he himself said.

But my overall opinion is influenced by never have seen him play anything other than fairly bad in the (admittedly few) of his playing videos I've watched. Even when he's just playing a casual round there's no part of his game that seems solid and for that matter he hits his share of decideldy mediocre shots during his launch monitor videos (although kudos to him for not editing them out).

That's a lame thing to say. 10 cap is a 10 cap. RS claims to be a pro with "no handicap" so I'd assume that means scratch. Do you think a 4 is going to beat a touring PGA player? Because we've gone that road before, multiple times.

Yes, bad days/weekends happen to everybody. I don't pay him too much attention but the vlogs I do watch.... Don't think I've really seen him shoot Par too many times, let alone break it.

Someone mentioned above that a lot of pros in Europe do not have a handicap. So I would assume that saying you don't have a handicap is not saying you are scratch.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

Someone mentioned above that a lot of pros in Europe do not have a handicap. So I would assume that saying you don't have a handicap is not saying you are scratch.

Not in the UK, Europe might be different. I played with a guy from Germany years ago who said he had a handicap at his home club, and a left handed one.

Someone turning pro through the PGA could have a handicap of 4.4 one week to playing in a professional event the next.

Turning pro here without going through the PGA requires a scratch handicap. Or did anyway.

Titleist - Pro V1

Not even close.

esjtgnS.png

£35 per half hour, which is slightly less than $50 USD per half hour. So if you were to do 2 back-to-back lessons, it'd be less than half of what you posted.

That pricing is right in line with what most coaches around my part charge.

Very reasonable. Crossfield said recently you can't get in his diary he is so full, lol, and was throwing around a figure very substantially higher (which I honestly can't remember and who knows if he wasn't just throwing a number out as part of his rambling) than these guys are charging, and not saying he isn't worth it.

If you want to learn something there are some really good nuggets even if you don't agree with Dan Whittaker, watching their lessons with him.

Crossfield used to put up vids from time to time of him giving a lesson, but it was so launch monitor number driven I couldn't relate. Now, maybe that is what resonated with that student, but tons of angles and degrees tossed around quickly. Again may have been student specific, but seemed at odds with his takes on the vids he receives and suggestions he makes for certain issues.

Again, for me, it's entertainment, more power to them.

Not in the UK, Europe might be different. I played with a guy from Germany years ago who said he had a handicap at his home club, and a left handed one.

Someone turning pro through the PGA could have a handicap of 4.4 one week to playing in a professional event the next.

Turning pro here without going through the PGA requires a scratch handicap. Or did anyway.

Turning pro doesn't require a scratch hcp, going through the PGA training program and becomming a PGA certified (teaching) pro does require some scores lower than a certain hcp.

I thought you had to shoot something like 150 over the course of 2 rounds. However, I don't know the details like... what courses... if you just go out and do it randomly or if it's during a tourney, etc. Somebody who has done this should chime in.

I've been lead to believe you do not need to be scratch to be in pro, if you complete the above.

Turning pro doesn't require a scratch hcp, going through the PGA training program and becomming a PGA certified (teaching) pro does require some scores lower than a certain hcp.

If someone just wants to turn pro and play, not a member of the PGA then they use to have to be scratch or lower. Qualifying to be able to enter the PGA program required a handicap of 4 or better. They then have to complete the playing ability test, again or did it may have changed. It use to be that they would have to shoot 3 over or better 3 times in a tournament round over the 3 years of the program, but it was changed.

This is UK only and again may have changed since the last person I know went through it.

Titleist - Pro V1

I can really care less what he shoots, or what he has to say about equipment....ive played many clubs and know pretty much what they're gonna do b4 swinging em....

I have blown up in tournaments as well and so have multiple pros (you just don't see or hear about it)

But yeah if your gonna enter events park your butt at chipping and putting area

Also with his snappy draw ballflight (even when it's decent) Is a hard ballflight to control....its not soft draw it's a center going left one......good luck timing that one for consistent play... (I know cuz I have similar flight).....its a nightmare!

Well I have noticed that his shots always go further in his driving bay testing than actual playing. How many times has he really smashed 300 yard drives on camera? He doesn't really out drive the pro's that he plays with. Frequently short of them. if he really drives it 300 yards out, he would occasionally out drive those guys. They often play from the white tees as well. A lot of what he does is marketing, and he's done it well for a youtuber. On the other hand he never presents himself as an awesome golfer though. You often can see how when he plays with some other pro's who are real good, they truly out class him. And most of the time it seems his long game is not as good as it should be for a pro. So they play alot of front tees. You see a lot of drive and then 150 into the green sequences. That said, I don't really mind. He's a teaching pro and obviously wasn't good enough to survive on tour if he ever tried. And he normally seems to be a better golfer anyway judging by his tournament performances. I really wish Tommy Fleetwood would have a youtube channel but then he probably wouldn't be very good at golf anymore. On a pro level that is.

in England the white tees are the back tees the normal tees are yellow!

His snap hooks must've not been "just missing the fairway" like they do in his reviews :butcher:

As Lockey would say "How embarrassing"

One reason I'm surprised people pay for lessons from him. 40 yards left or right is "just missing fairway."

Half that distance left or right at my course and you'd be three off the tee.

Where did you get that? its the same price as every pro here in the uk last time i checked £50 an hour , thats cheap but hes northern