MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

eagle1997

I freely admit my athleticism has gone way down, and I dont apply it well to golf. I actually hit the ball further when I only played 5 times a year. Didnt score as well and hit more foul balls, but it was further. I should work to 'get it back' but Im not sure how or if thats even possible.

Wear a jockstrap. That'll get those athletic juices flowing again.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

I freely admit my athleticism has gone way down, and I dont apply it well to golf. I actually hit the ball further when I only played 5 times a year. Didnt score as well and hit more foul balls, but it was further. I should work to 'get it back' but Im not sure how or if thats even possible.

Wear a jockstrap. That'll get those athletic juices flowing again.

If you can't be a athlete, be a athletic supporter.

i bought some foot spray. it's totally messed me up.

every ball mark: toeside. every divot: starts behind (bad side of) the line.

this is on 1/2 - 3/4 shots.

progressively worse on fuller swings.

This is going to get into me vs. the world territory, but for something like hitting it near the toe, my remedy is "try to hit it off the heel". If you think you're hitting the center of the face and you're hitting the toe, then trying to hit with the heel should get you to the center of the face. This is my conception of the Adam Young philosophy.

Someone else will tell you "stand closer to the ball". This the "robot" philosophy of golf.

Someone else will tell you, "oh, this part of your body is here at this point in the swing, and it should be in this other place." That's the most traditional form of golf help. And, I don't poo-poo it. I just think it's overdone.

I guarantee if you can swing a club that COMPLETELY MISSES the ball outside the ball that you can move your impact position from the toe to the center just through trying.

I can see merit in both schools of thought, and the need to balance the two. I don't think the answer is always to just change your intent, nor is it always reaching some specific alignment at P-whatever.

I think sometimes you need to make a macro-level movement change, to facilitate being able to improve your strike more consistently.

In general, I do find that I have some of the best ability to change movement patterns when I can set up a practice station such that it forces me to do so. For example, putting a headcover or something on the ground near the ball to force me to get my path one direction or the other. It's so easy and natural for me to just swing and avoid that object, as opposed to me trying to think about changing my path.

i bought some foot spray. it's totally messed me up.

every ball mark: toeside. every divot: starts behind (bad side of) the line.

this is on 1/2 - 3/4 shots.

progressively worse on fuller swings.

This is going to get into me vs. the world territory, but for something like hitting it near the toe, my remedy is "try to hit it off the heel". If you think you're hitting the center of the face and you're hitting the toe, then trying to hit with the heel should get you to the center of the face. This is my conception of the Adam Young philosophy.

Someone else will tell you "stand closer to the ball". This the "robot" philosophy of golf.

Someone else will tell you, "oh, this part of your body is here at this point in the swing, and it should be in this other place." That's the most traditional form of golf help. And, I don't poo-poo it. I just think it's overdone.

I guarantee if you can swing a club that COMPLETELY MISSES the ball outside the ball that you can move your impact position from the toe to the center just through trying.

I can see merit in both schools of thought, and the need to balance the two. I don't think the answer is always to just change your intent, nor is it always reaching some specific alignment at P-whatever.

I think sometimes you need to make a macro-level movement change, to facilitate being able to improve your strike more consistently.

In general, I do find that I have some of the best ability to change movement patterns when I can set up a practice station such that it forces me to do so. For example, putting a headcover or something on the ground near the ball to force me to get my path one direction or the other. It's so easy and natural for me to just swing and avoid that object, as opposed to me trying to think about changing my path.

Finally, I agree with Fabb. It must be valentines day because I'm feeling the love. I get to see City today. I am gushing over here.

It's different strokes for different folks. Some people need to change form before function, and for some form will follow function. It's not an either/or proposition.

Cameron Newport, 34"

It was a very important lesson for me two years back when I saw RK at Waverly and asked about poor contact on wedges and he discussed where my weight was that the top of the backswing. Some real technical swing analysis.

I've never been "either/or". I just play that side because I don't think people realize how much you can really work things out on your own sometimes.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

What the f***? 3-5 inches of snow on Saturday now (wunderground)?

My favorite conversations these days goes like this?

"Did you see they're saying 3-5 inches of snow on Saturday?"

"no. Saturday's gonna be sunny and 72."

"Oh, when did you check last?"

"6 days ago."

"what app were you using?"

"I think it's called Bob's Special Geocities Whether Time Fun Sight."

"OK. Just saying you might want to cancel that picnic."

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You do know we're suppose to get snow Saturday night right.

WUT

Where you going? Who's ya teacha?

OGP. back to liza abood. i have a lesson credit with her that i wanted to use.

You do know we're suppose to get snow Saturday night right.

this is a joke right? isn't it supposed to be 70° tomorrow or something?

<looks at forecast>

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

vader.jpg

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

What the f***? 3-5 inches of snow on Saturday now (wunderground)?

I think Sunday rounds will be no go. Monday should be okay if it gets as warm as they're projecting. It'll be a mud fest, but UMD tends be open.

Cameron Newport, 34"

I didn't reload the screen before posting.

Anyway, a cancelled round still means I'm not on eagles team. Win-win

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

That was hitting below the belt Gmen.

[media=]

[/media]

the above video is a great illustration of what it's like while parenting an active boy.

might want to upgrade that jockstrap for a cup sully.

also, reminds me of "it's like a salad!" LOL

nerds.jpg

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

GTW : If you know me this is no surprise, but I'm definitely a homer for Worthington Manor. As I started to think more about why, some similar themes to City's Waverly essay emerged.

The playing corridors are generally wide. There are some narrower spots, sure, but not really off the tee. There are a lot of holes where you've got a generous area in which to spray your tee ball and still find it. Much to PQ's dismay, this does occasionally mean you can have golf balls getting hit onto adjacent holes. There are some water hazards, and native areas, but I don't think you're generally going to lose a bunch of pellets out there.

Something I really enjoy is a course that challenges you to hit good drives on aggressive lines, and Worthington has that in spades. There are so many holes where the fairway is at an oblique angle to the teeing ground, really challenging you to take on as much as you've got the guts to. Pull it off and you'll have a shorter approach. It can be the difference between being able to reach a par 5 or not. It can be the difference between catching a power slot, or not. You don't have to drive it great, but you're handsomely rewarded if you can.

You get a variety of stances and lies. It's not the kind of golf course where you're going to play off a flat lie all day long. I dig that.

Even for non-bombers, you get some chances to go after some greens in less than regulation. Depending on the tees, you can get one into the power slot on 7 and run it down near the green. Most of the par 5s are potentially reachable with good drives. You can try to sling one down towards the 14th green. I caught flack for my rant a while back about not really liking par 5s that are designed as 3 shot holes, but I stand by it. If I hit a great drive, give me a chance. Worthington does that.

I'm a sucker for visuals, and Worthington has those as well. Particular if you play the tommee tippees, you get a ton of elevated tee shots that are nice vantage points to the course. Being able to stand on the 17th green as the sun is setting, and look way up the hill to the 5th hole - just stunning.

The green complexes are the most polarizing part of the course, by far. They're definitely severe. Maybe a bit too severe in places. I think they're probably the source of a lot of frustrating bogeys, doubles, and others. I don't know that I'd say I dislike them, though. They make for some interesting approaches, short game shots, and putts. If anything, maybe they'd be well served to keep the speeds of them toned down a bit for general play. When they're firm and fast, they can be downright brutal. At a more moderate speed, they're a lot of fun.

I would pick WM, so I'll not write up a whole new ode. But I'll add on two things:

1) Club selections on the tee. You touched on some of the risk reward pieces of hitting driver on a line. I like the fact that you can hit different clubs off the tee on most of the par 4s. The only par4s where it feels like you need to bomb a drive to make par are #3 and #16.

2) On the greens, I like that different pin positions change really change the shot you play. It's not a course where you tell someone to fire at the center of the green and play from there. Most courses have a single miss around the green that's always the best. At WM, holes like #1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 11, and 12 play a lot differently depending on where the pin is. A good miss on #9 when the pin is on the right is an impossible up and down when it's on the left.