Ric Shiels- Lumine pro am score

Londoner

Well I have noticed that his shots always go further in his driving bay testing than actual playing. How many times has he really smashed 300 yard drives on camera? He doesn't really out drive the pro's that he plays with. Frequently short of them. if he really drives it 300 yards out, he would occasionally out drive those guys. They often play from the white tees as well. A lot of what he does is marketing, and he's done it well for a youtuber. On the other hand he never presents himself as an awesome golfer though. You often can see how when he plays with some other pro's who are real good, they truly out class him. And most of the time it seems his long game is not as good as it should be for a pro. So they play alot of front tees. You see a lot of drive and then 150 into the green sequences. That said, I don't really mind. He's a teaching pro and obviously wasn't good enough to survive on tour if he ever tried. And he normally seems to be a better golfer anyway judging by his tournament performances. I really wish Tommy Fleetwood would have a youtube channel but then he probably wouldn't be very good at golf anymore. On a pro level that is.

in England the white tees are the back tees the normal tees are yellow!

I would imagine the regular 300 yard drives on his range are more to do with the settings on the launch monitor.

According to many I've been on,(especially when they want to sell a club) I can crash a drive 240/250 but in reality, if I actually reach the 200 yard then I feel ecstatic.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice a lot of his recent vlogs aren't really posting scores either. Hey, I'm not a RS lover or hater, but he's allll about entertaining now it seems. I hope this is because Fried Eggs guy did the video and this isn't the norm. I like golfing vlogs where I see real guys playing courses I'll probably never get to enjoy. This definitely wasn't it.

http://youtu.be/yVmJLck47jg

It was cool for what it was but I really wanted to see the course played and talked about hole by hole.

I think he's much better than the scores he shot in this event. Most here have no idea how much time and work goes into keeping a social media profile like his. People who don't understand it criticize it as "fake" business but I assure you that it's real work. My daughter does the same for her business on several platforms and the poor kid works 14 hours a day, seven days a week at it....with six employees/interns also working at it. She, like Shiels, has a very successful business but her real social/family life does suffer as a result. It's what it takes these days to run a successful internet based business. That doesn't even consider the actual logistics of running the business and all that entails. Who has time to play serious golf? I give Shiels props for putting himself out there for criticism. He could just stay away from competition and let everyone just assume that he's a great player but he doesn't. I admire the hell out of him for creating international recognition and a big business out of absolute thin air....how can you criticize that? It's remarkable.

Honest question

Why? Why do you think he's better. Because he has a good swing on youtube videos? What has he done to prove golf skill? Business skill, sure, but actual golf ability?

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

I think he's much better than the scores he shot in this event. Most here have no idea how much time and work goes into keeping a social media profile like his. People who don't understand it criticize it as "fake" business but I assure you that it's real work. My daughter does the same for her business on several platforms and the poor kid works 14 hours a day, seven days a week at it....with six employees/interns also working at it. She, like Shiels, has a very successful business but her real social/family life does suffer as a result. It's what it takes these days to run a successful internet based business. That doesn't even consider the actual logistics of running the business and all that entails. Who has time to play serious golf? I give Shiels props for putting himself out there for criticism. He could just stay away from competition and let everyone just assume that he's a great player but he doesn't. I admire the hell out of him for creating international recognition and a big business out of absolute thin air....how can you criticize that? It's remarkable.

Honest question

Why? Why do you think he's better. Because he has a good swing on youtube videos? What has he done to prove golf skill? Business skill, sure, but actual golf ability?

That’s what I keep asking.

Honest question

You both must have missed the post where he averaged just over 72 for 12 events a few years ago. He’s certainly better than the score he posted in this event

Honest question

You both must have missed the post where he averaged just over 72 for 12 events a few years ago. He’s certainly better than the score he posted in this event

Is he? Because he was a few years ago?

His swing creates speed easy to see that, it is a good golf swing, who cares what he shoot's I was liking the fact he was trying to get in the open. I like his reviews and his matches with Peter. It's just entertainment nothing more or nothing less.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Honest question

He said, what has he done to prove any golfing ability or skill? Averaging 72.4 for the year in 2016 absolutely proves he has skill and golfing ability. How good do you expect him to be? I’ve watched great players put up huge scores in events and miss cuts by miles. Only to win relatively shortly after.

What a bunch of BS. Pathetic arm chair quarterbacks on this thread. No one should be criticizing anybody about the humble nature of golf, especially tournament golf. I think anyone who is kicking Rick Shields about his performance, put up or shut up. Put up some significant money and challenge him. I know he would enjoy taking your money. Then you can post that on here.

Honest question

He said, what has he done to prove any golfing ability or skill? Averaging 72.4 for the year in 2016 absolutely proves he has skill and golfing ability. How good do you expect him to be? I’ve watched great players put up huge scores in events and miss cuts by miles. Only to win relatively shortly after.

The reason i started this thread was because in my experience the lower the handicap the more consistent the golfer. I dont know any of my friends or single figure players in my club who have hit 17 over, net, 2 days in succession. Ever.

What a bunch of BS. Pathetic arm chair quarterbacks on this thread. No one should be criticizing anybody about the humble nature of golf, especially tournament golf. I think anyone who is kicking Rick Shields about his performance, put up or shut up. Put up some significant money and challenge him. I know he would enjoy taking your money. Then you can post that on here.

I dont know what youve been reading but it dosent sound like this thread.

I'm still convinced that he'd normally shoot in the mid to high 70's on most courses. He's far from a terrible player. At least he was man enough not to throw up a WD for some phony ailment. He took it like a man. It'd be hard on the ego for at least 267,511 people to know that you shot an 88. That's how many followers he's got on YouTube alone, with another 42,471 on Facebook, and 72,000 on Instagram. I'm not sure that too many of us would like advertising to a half million "friends" that we shot an 88 and came DFL. Again, props to Shiels.

Honest question

Exactly. If he's man enough to put up an 88 in front of a half million followers, I believe every other score he's posted, including his competitive 72 stroke average for the year. Again, I have a pretty good idea of how much time and effort goes into what he's presenting every day. Add that to a wife and kids....that doesn't leave too much time to practice, believe me. If David Duval can throw up an 81, which is a stroke a hole higher than his best score at Pebble, Shiels' 88 sure doesn't make me doubt that he can play well...at times.

As someone averaging that scoring range, it'd put him #2 on a lot of High School teams.

But those kids don't have money generating youtube channels so he's lucky to live in a world where people will pay money to watch others play video games or do golf club tests :)

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Guess that makes two huge subcultures I’d have never been aware of if not for GolfWRX. One is Costco members and the other is people who get their entertainment from YouTube. Both as hard for me to comprehend as Revolutionary War reenactors or fans of Benny Hill.

[cue Yakety Sax and roll credits]

He was obviously testing equipment so wanted as many shots with them as possible to verify their on course performance.

(Joke)

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

His swing creates speed easy to see that, it is a good golf swing, who cares what he shoot's I was liking the fact he was trying to get in the open. I like his reviews and his matches with Peter. It's just entertainment nothing more or nothing less.

Isn't the whole point of golf to shoot low scores? Especially if you are trying to qualify for a strokeplay tournament?

You can see from his videos that he can hit the ball all over the park, so he's never going to score well consistently. Cross field, whilst not a bomber, at least has a consistent swing and a self confessed abysmal short game.

Guess that makes two huge subcultures I'd have never been aware of if not for GolfWRX. One is Costco members and the other is people who get their entertainment from YouTube. Both as hard for me to comprehend as Revolutionary War reenactors or fans of Benny Hill.

[cue Yakety Sax and roll credits]

O/T but I think you'll find YouTube becoming a digital disruptor to the existing broadcast channels along with Netflix and Amazon. They've already launched live sports streaming in the US.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I'm in the camp of I really couldn't care less what he shoots and it does not change my thoughts on the relevance of his reviews. Honestly the only persons review that is relevant when it comes to equipment for me is ME!!! All these online reviewers are windbags who figured out how to get paid...thats their most impressive accomplishment and good on them for making it work. So many people however do take these guys opinions as gospel and make poor buying decisions every year leading to no improvement in their game and a readiness to continue to open their wallets to buy something else after the next on-line review(manufacturers dream). If I was a manufacturer I would be paying the top review guys big $$ (under the table of course:) ) for favorable reviews. Today these reviewers sell more clubs than any PGA pro on the payroll.

Embarassing scores for sure but look at what the guys missing the cut on the Europro tour in the UK shoot, mid 80's and above in some cases, and these guys are paying £250 an event to enter so must be practicing and taking it seriously so it happens

That said, I'm off 7 and two 88's in a row would upset me a lot, but it could happen LOL

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Titleist 917D2 9.5 Diamana red R[/color][/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Taylor Made M2 16.5 Diamana green R[/color][/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Callaway Epic Heaven Wood [/color][/size][/font][color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Diamana green R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon ZH65 22 degree Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon ZU65 5 [/size][/font][/color][color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon Z565 6-W Nippon NS Pro 950GH R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Mizuno S18 50/55/60[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Bettinardi Studio Stock 3 [/size][/font][/color]

Also, when looking up "Shiels" on GHIN's website, nothing comes up. So maybe he actually doesn't hold a handicap for some odd reason?

You do realize that he is english and most certainly has never even considered getting a USGA handicap. And the odd reason you mention is simple: he‘s a pro. Pros do not have handicaps under EGA regulations.

Rick 100% has a vanity cap. He plays terribly in a lot of his vlogs. He said he had a great back 9 at sawgrass and had 4 birdies, but in his video he didn' make a single putt. Says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water. He also got an 8 on 18.

I don't even know who the guy is but I can't stop re-reading and laughing at this sentence, "says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water"...thank you for this

And like I already mentioned above, if you were to actually watch the video and listen, he immediately follows that by saying, " If you believe that, you'll believe anything, ha ha ha "

Actually see him as quite a humble guy, and yes I'm a daily viewer of his YT channel along with Finch, great course vlogs with awesome banter, and some impressive shots made while being filmed. Of course you take any thing you read or hear with an objective viewpoint, I don't see his review as the end all, but its quite entertaining and he doesn't claim any bias as far as I'm concerned.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler