2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What Are You "OCD" About?

Sean2

Everything...

Seriously, I have to understand and organize everything, so to say I golf slower is an understatement from preparing for the round, golfing, and then post-round. I have yardage and notebooks from 5 years ago which detail every shot shape, distance, club, condition, etc.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Tees, no colors, white or natural only.

Everything except driver is hit off a broken tee. I will snap one in half if I can't find one.

Once a ball goes in a lake it's tainted. Will not take it out and hit it again. I may pull it out and throw it in my shag bag. This does not apply to balls retrievable from ob or dry hazards or those I can actually play from the water. Just once it's submerged

I will not putt with someone else's ball in the hole.

Okay... this is where MY OCD has now snapped...

I have been a faithful follower of this thread for over a year now, and this is oddly my breaking point... Because...

I find it maddening all the fuggin' broken tees on the tee box. It looks awful, looks like littering, and it annoys me where you can't pick up your fuggin' tees, ESPECIALLY if they're broken, kasi it's TRASH NOW...

I know EXACTLY why people do this. For the reason above, yes, but there's this silent covenant amongst golfers that the teeing up off a broken tee is a thing, the noble response is that they're now RECYCLING the tees...

But man alive if it just LOOKS like a giant wooden tee trash bin to me... and man if they are buried, still in the ground, I bend down and dig them out and take them over to the bin...

I know, buzzkill right?

Sorry fellas and fillies... my problem.

You will be happy to know, I don't leave my broken tee, I pick it up, put it in my pocket. I actually pick up broken tees around my tee throughout the round and put them in my pocket. At the end of the round if i still have one or two, I put them in my tee spot.

But sorry if I can find one and I'm out I'm not hitting off a whole tee unless it's driver.

Tees, no colors, white or natural only.

Everything except driver is hit off a broken tee. I will snap one in half if I can't find one.

Once a ball goes in a lake it's tainted. Will not take it out and hit it again. I may pull it out and throw it in my shag bag. This does not apply to balls retrievable from ob or dry hazards or those I can actually play from the water. Just once it's submerged

I will not putt with someone else's ball in the hole.

Okay... this is where MY OCD has now snapped...

I have been a faithful follower of this thread for over a year now, and this is oddly my breaking point... Because...

I find it maddening all the fuggin' broken tees on the tee box. It looks awful, looks like littering, and it annoys me where you can't pick up your fuggin' tees, ESPECIALLY if they're broken, kasi it's TRASH NOW...

I know EXACTLY why people do this. For the reason above, yes, but there's this silent covenant amongst golfers that the teeing up off a broken tee is a thing, the noble response is that they're now RECYCLING the tees...

But man alive if it just LOOKS like a giant wooden tee trash bin to me... and man if they are buried, still in the ground, I bend down and dig them out and take them over to the bin...

I know, buzzkill right?

Sorry fellas and fillies... my problem.

You will be happy to know, I don't leave my broken tee, I pick it up, put it in my pocket. I actually pick up broken tees around my tee throughout the round and put them in my pocket. At the end of the round if i still have one or two, I put them in my tee spot.

But sorry if I can find one and I'm out I'm not hitting off a whole tee unless it's driver.

some of the better clubs and public courses have tee cones or buckets -- I saw one in Dallas that used them as the tee markers -- but if you look in them, they're either treated as ashtrays or trash bins or both. And what tee pieces you do find them are usually the (headless) stems.

FYI everybody, these are there to dispose of USED and functional tees. the lack of care a lot of players have for the course -- from the pitch marks on the green to these broken tees on the box -- is utterly senseless to me...

carry on, sorry.

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

• 3 weeks later...

It's odd for me. I'm "OCD" about a ton of things in my day to day life, but not that many when it comes to golf. EXCEPT when I'm playing for money or in a tournament. Then I need my ball to be perfectly clean and my clubs to look like they just came off the rack. My bag has 14 club slots, and I'm also very particular about where the clubs are. The bag room guys at my club don't always put them back the same, so that's the first thing I do.

It's odd for me. I'm "OCD" about a ton of things in my day to day life, but not that many when it comes to golf. EXCEPT when I'm playing for money or in a tournament. Then I need my ball to be perfectly clean and my clubs to look like they just came off the rack. My bag has 14 club slots, and I'm also very particular about where the clubs are. The bag room guys at my club don't always put them back the same, so that's the first thing I do.

That is a bit odd. I don't know about others, but in my case OCD is "transferrable". :-)

• 1 month later...

To all of those that fix ball marks, fill divots, ect. and take care of the course, your staff appreciates that a TON. For me, can't stand when guys don't clean their clubs, and one of my biggest pet peeves is guys who don't put headcovers back on clubs. Had to say something to my dads buddy on our annual trip who just let his new Cameron bounce around there unprotected...

Titleist TSR3 8* - Graphite Design IZ X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX X

Titleist T200 3i - Fujikura Ventus Black 8 TX

Titleist 680 CB 4-PW - True Temper DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*/54*/58* True Temper DG Tour Issue S300

Scotty Cameron JetSet Newport 2

~ Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you deal with it ~

To all of those that fix ball marks, fill divots, ect. and take care of the course, your staff appreciates that a TON. For me, can't stand when guys don't clean their clubs, and one of my biggest pet peeves is guys who don't put headcovers back on clubs. Had to say something to my dads buddy on our annual trip who just let his new Cameron bounce around there unprotected...

Yeah, I don't get that either. I have seen people with new drivers without head covers getting banged around, and also a few with Cameron's.

Getting frisky with yourself before a round is a recipe for bad scores. With another person, fine. Yourself, not so much.

I know what you mean about the solo style friskiness. It's costly to the wallet too.

You not only have to pay for the greens fees but you're obliged to buy dinner for yourself afterword.

It gets really awkward when I have to tell myself to take the money I left myself on the nightstand, and to lock the door on the way out.

Sometimes I tell myself to make myself a ham sandwich before leaving.

I told myself I wasn't that kind of guy but deep down I knew I was...

• 7 months later...
Fixing pitch marks. Most of the guys in the league make fun of me because i'll walk around the green fixing pitch marks. I figure this is a good thing to be anal about, though.

Ditto.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

1, partner in the buggy drives like a maniac and my clubs ding even more ( can't be considering re furbish!)

2, start with new ball, if lost a used provisional is orange for rest of the round.

3, own shadow distracts me if I can see it. Shady spot on tee box and on cloudy days I'll play out of turn if temporary shade cloud passes over.

4, grips on irons all the same ..black, no logos, original vokey grips on wedges, original grips on driver hybrid and putter

5, ball on tee.... Biggest white surface , don't want to see ball no. Or sharpy marks.

6, clean club after each shot, clubs after each round

7, watching line on others putting, will position at 2 O clock and move to 12 after partner putts!

8, tees,markers,ball,glove etc , goes in same pocket on pants ... I have 5 pockets

1. On tees and greens, my red sharpie dot on the ball has to always face up at me (it’s my reminder to use a good tempo)

2. On par 3’s I have to use a broken tee, not a full one. I’ll break a tee if I can’t find one.

3. Clean clubs after every shot (brush, wet towel, brush again if needed, dry towel). I’ll do it while others are hitting or while walking or riding if needed to keep pace.

4. Clubs in proper bag divider

5. Pants pockets: no keys or wallet (in bag); right pocket = 2 balls and 2 tees, left pocket = 2 ball markers and repair tool

6. Ball markers have to be 2001 and 2003 quarters (the years my kids were born)

7. Fix at least 2 ball marks on green in addition to mine - I feel like I’m earning good golf karma

Hmmm...this has been a revealing self-assessment.

Clean clubs and clean shoes.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

OCD is an actual mental illness and not a shorthand for "quirks".

Aaaaanyways... in the spirit of the thread, I have a post-round routine and don't really feel my round is fully complete until it's done. When I get home I take the insert out of my golf shoes and let them both dry in the sun. I let my clubs and any balls I picked up soak in a wash basin in my sink for 5 minutes or so while I clean out the pockets of my bag. I charge my GPS thingy and mark my balls for the next week. Then I rinse off my clubs, wipe them down, and let them air dry on the kitchen counter while I listen to a podcast and putt around on the rug in my kitchen.

It's relaxing and gives me a chance to reflect on my round.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

OCD is an actual mental illness and not a shorthand for "quirks".

Aaaaanyways... in the spirit of the thread, I have a post-round routine and don't really feel my round is fully complete until it's done. When I get home I take the insert out of my golf shoes and let them both dry in the sun. I let my clubs and any balls I picked up soak in a wash basin in my sink for 5 minutes or so while I clean out the pockets of my bag. I charge my GPS thingy and mark my balls for the next week. Then I rinse off my clubs, wipe them down, and let them air dry on the kitchen counter while I listen to a podcast and putt around on the rug in my kitchen.

It's relaxing and gives me a chance to reflect on my round.

Fair point, and I think a majority of us would agree that true OCD goes beyond what many of us are posting. To be fair, I'd also note that the OP referred to it as "OCD" (in quotes), which is commonly accepted shorthand (rightly or wrongly) for the kinds of quirks being described.

I don't intend to flame, escalate or agitate...I just sometimes get a little "quirky" when it comes to grammar, how it's used and how it's interpreted.

No shaft labels and CLEANING SAND OFF BOTTOM OF SHOES AFTER BUNKER SHOT!. Can't stand to go up to a green and see sand foot prints all over it. Take a club and just tap the side if your shoes.

vagolfnut, I just found this from earlier this year and it struck a chord with me. I'm the same and recently played a course where I had to hit out of some muddy, red clay. I pounded my shoes with a club and wiped them off repeatedly in the wet grass in an effort to clean them. Thinking they were clean enough, and trying to keep up with my fellow players, I walked onto the green only to see a trail of red footprints behind me. I was horrified! I backtracked and tried to wipe them off again but to no avail. I just took as few steps as I could, putted out and got off the green.

Near the next tee, I found some nearby standing water and gave then a few good rinse/grass wipe cycles, and they finally came clean.

I'm sure I'll get lit up for posting this, but I don't know what I could have done differently.

I'm not an OCD type of guy outside of golf. Inside of golf I like to repair ball marks when I have the chance, mine and a few others. I also like my ball to be clean. I carry a small rag in a back pocket and spit clean my ball as soon as I can pick it up.

Get this .. super handy, can't feel it in your pocket and doesn't "leak"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-Ball-Cleaner-Washer-Ballzee-Pocket-Size-UK-/283075109390

No shaft labels and CLEANING SAND OFF BOTTOM OF SHOES AFTER BUNKER SHOT!. Can't stand to go up to a green and see sand foot prints all over it. Take a club and just tap the side if your shoes.

vagolfnut, I just found this from earlier this year and it struck a chord with me. I'm the same and recently played a course where I had to hit out of some muddy, red clay. I pounded my shoes with a club and wiped them off repeatedly in the wet grass in an effort to clean them. Thinking they were clean enough, and trying to keep up with my fellow players, I walked onto the green only to see a trail of red footprints behind me. I was horrified! I backtracked and tried to wipe them off again but to no avail. I just took as few steps as I could, putted out and got off the green.

Near the next tee, I found some nearby standing water and gave then a few good rinse/grass wipe cycles, and they finally came clean.

I'm sure I'll get lit up for posting this, but I don't know what I could have done differently.

I don’t see why you should catch any flak, you did all you could with what you had available.