Ric Shiels- Lumine pro am score

Londoner

Also, he's definitely not a "hack". I think he's just not been focusing on tournament golf as of late. Here are his stats from 2016.

XoXsR9i.png

Making 11 cuts from 12 events. Averaging 72.4 in tournament conditions. Yeah, I doubt many people on here can do the same.

Um, those appear to be one day events. 12 events, 12 rounds.

Not too many 1 day events have cuts. I've yet to play in one. Maybe that's something they do over on that side of the pond.

They also appear to be actual scores.

And yes, Monday events. Over on this side of the pond PGA sections have Monday events, at least where we live, all throughout the season - that's when folks have some time to actually play.

We have Monday events over here as well. My point was that there are no cuts in one day events. It was pointed out that he made 11 out of 12 cuts. I was questioning that statistic.

Chris Herrbach

Director of Golf - American Heroes Foundation

WITB:
Driver: Ping G430 LST 
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Titanium @14.25* 
Hybrid: PING G425
Irons: PING i230 4-PW 
Wedges: GW - PING Glide 3.0 50, SW Mizuno T22 54*, LW Indi TT 60*
Putter: LAB Golf LINK with Stability Tour Black shaft.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch a lot of Rick's videos and I do value is input on club reviews and what not. I don't think this takes away from his teaching credibility or his understanding of club fitting.

HOWEVER, this was actually shocking to read. After watching his swing countless times in videos I did not expect to see these numbers. It just goes to show that a good coach and a good club fitter doesn't make up for the skill involved to successfully navigate a golf course and to hit good golf shots.

Definitely an eye opener :swoon:

I watch a lot of Rick's videos and I do value is input on club reviews and what not. I don't think this takes away from his teaching credibility or his understanding of club fitting.

HOWEVER, this was actually shocking to read. After watching his swing countless times in videos I did not expect to see these numbers. It just goes to show that a good coach and a good club fitter doesn't make up for the skill involved to successfully navigate a golf course and to hit good golf shots.

But his swing in the videos seldom hits more than one or two reasonably on-line shots in a row. And that's just standing there hitting one ball after another off a mat onto a driving range.

That's what I don't understand. Not why he can't translate a great practice range swing into great scoring, I get that. Lots of people have that issue. But his swing doesn't look great even on the practice range. He's strong and flexible and generates some clubhead speed but he can not control the ball at all even on the range.

There's way more to a good swing than simply not duffing shots and being able to produce favorable-looking GC2 numbers on your best swings.

Also, when looking up "Shiels" on GHIN's website, nothing comes up. So maybe he actually doesn't hold a handicap for some odd reason?

You do realize that he is english and most certainly has never even considered getting a USGA handicap. And the odd reason you mention is simple: he‘s a pro. Pros do not have handicaps under EGA regulations.

He's a pro in name only

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Well strictly speaking, being a "Golf Professional" simply means you are current or have in the past earned a living by working in any number of aspects of the golf industry. Yeah, at some point you were expected to demonstrate some baseline proficiency at the game but it basically means you are not allowed to enter Amateur competitions and that's about it.

Dude is a driving range pro. Probably a 7 handicap at best.

A little better than that, lol. http://www.pga.info/...he-picture.aspx

And his 76 in Open Qualifying wasn't all that bad last year, and miles ahead of what a 7 handicap would have shot.

Like them, don't like them, but not enough respect for people figuring out a way to make a living playing golf/teaching golf/bringing some exposure to the game. They are as wrx as most of us.

For me, it's entertaining and that's enough. Nobody forces anyone to click that play button.

This is all that matters. He makes entertaining videos testing out equipment and playing at cool tracks. On top of that he shoots 76 at local Open qualifying last year.

He gets a pass.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 - Fuji Pro 63x Tour Spec
Callaway Rogue 15 - Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.5
Taylormade TP UDI 3 iron - X100 AMT Tour Issue
Mizuno 919T 4-9- X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 46 - X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 50, 56, & 60 - S400 Tour Issue
Taylormade TP Ardmore 3

Dude is a driving range pro. Probably a 7 handicap at best.

A little better than that, lol. http://www.pga.info/...he-picture.aspx

And his 76 in Open Qualifying wasn't all that bad last year, and miles ahead of what a 7 handicap would have shot.

Like them, don't like them, but not enough respect for people figuring out a way to make a living playing golf/teaching golf/bringing some exposure to the game. They are as wrx as most of us.

For me, it's entertaining and that's enough. Nobody forces anyone to click that play button.

This is all that matters. He makes entertaining videos testing out equipment and playing at cool tracks. On top of that he shoots 76 at local Open qualifying last year.

He gets a pass.

For my part, I don't begrudge the guy doing something he enjoys and earning a few bucks on the side doing it. I'm simply been curious to understand the appeal for viewers.

But at this point my curiosity is pretty much assuaged. It's no different than people laughing at a sit-com that doesn't seem remotely funny to me or someone sitting and watching Olympic Curling for an hour. If watching it brings you joy, good on you.

P.S. While I don't personally perceive the educational or entertainment value in Rick Shiels' videos, he does seem like a genuinely nice bloke. Unlike Mark Crossfield who comes across as the kind of person who'd tempt me to feign back spasms after five holes if I got paired up with him by the starter at a golf course.

I really don't see why people bother or are so involved with this. He made a full on s*** contest but why does it matter?

I don't think anyone is upset, this is a discussion forum and that's all that's happening.

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

72.4 average in tournament play is pretty good if you ask me. Looking at those stats it's easy to guess he's a big hitter but not always great around the greens, which is pretty typical of a good player that doesn't always get to play a whole lot. Even practicing a lot around the greens doesn't prepare you for the kind of lies and reads you're going to get in play.

But I'd trade golf games with him any day.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

Let’s be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon’s, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren’t going low and shooting 60’s. Oh wait it’s WRX everyone shots 60’s and booming drives

Your typical 20 something WRXer swinging it 115-120 with their tour XX shaft tipped one inch Cant figure out where ball is going or can putt. Shiels has a good swing on videos leads me to believe short game must be horrible.

But his swing in the videos seldom hits more than one or two reasonably on-line shots in a row. And that's just standing there hitting one ball after another off a mat onto a driving range.

That's what I don't understand. Not why he can't translate a great practice range swing into great scoring, I get that. Lots of people have that issue. But his swing doesn't look great even on the practice range. He's strong and flexible and generates some clubhead speed but he can not control the ball at all even on the range.

There's way more to a good swing than simply not duffing shots and being able to produce favorable-looking GC2 numbers on your best swings.

Yeah, it seems like every other shot he hits goes left of left. These scores do not surprise me, it's obvious his game is not tournament ready just watching him shots off of turf. As others have pointed out he used to have some decent game, but that's not what he does now. His reviews are generally good and that's what he does now.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

He probably hasn't seen this thread yet, because his most recent Instagram post is communicating a VERY different message

CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR! More putts needed to drop for birdies!

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

On a personal note I played the best I have done all year! Ripping driving & clipping the irons nicely. Hit decent putts just didn’t hole a thing!

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

My week round up video will be filmed soon & uploaded ASAP!

Should make us all feel happier about our high scores!

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Titleist 917D2 9.5 Diamana red R[/color][/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Taylor Made M2 16.5 Diamana green R[/color][/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Callaway Epic Heaven Wood [/color][/size][/font][color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Diamana green R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon ZH65 22 degree Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon ZU65 5 [/size][/font][/color][color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon Z565 6-W Nippon NS Pro 950GH R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Mizuno S18 50/55/60[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Bettinardi Studio Stock 3 [/size][/font][/color]

It's unfortunate but it happens. Shiels has a family and a couple of younger kids so his time to spend countless hours is limited unlike Finch who has really worked hard to improve his swing (his videos with Dan Whittaker are really terrific). Shiels needs some more time with DW to correct all the faults that have crepped back into his swing again. He still shoots low scores occasionally so let's hope he gets back to form.

I like the guy.

I have watched a lot of his videos, and do enjoy as well the ones with Rob Potter as I too am a high mid hc (14.9)

Rick released a couple of video series recently on the golf swing and driver swing, and they have actually helped me. I am not into really specific mechanics, and his presentation communicates well to me. At $50-60 per hour, I would definitely take a lesson or two from him if he were stateside a reasonable distance away.

I like the videos that he and Finch have done with Carly Booth as well. (Wow!)

In an interview with Amanda Balionis (sp) about the upcoming driver series, he stated he wasn't good enough to play professional tour golf, so I don't think he holds himself out as anything other than what he is.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

He probably hasn't seen this thread yet, because his most recent Instagram post is communicating a VERY different message

CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR! More putts needed to drop for birdies!

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

On a personal note I played the best I have done all year! Ripping driving & clipping the irons nicely. Hit decent putts just didn’t hole a thing!

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

My week round up video will be filmed soon & uploaded ASAP!

Once again taken out of context, as he was only referring to the final round of the comp, not the entire thing.

Some of you are just dead set on trash talking the guy eh. I cant imagine being so full of myself to just crap on other people like that, just not in my dna I guess. Even if I wasn't a fan of the guy I still wouldn't understand why it makes others feel so good to tear another person down. I guess if you invest that much of your self esteem in these "handicap" numbers it would be tough to see someone who's a "worse" player that you succeed in the industry.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Rick 100% has a vanity cap. He plays terribly in a lot of his vlogs. He said he had a great back 9 at sawgrass and had 4 birdies, but in his video he didn' make a single putt. Says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water. He also got an 8 on 18.

I don't even know who the guy is but I can't stop re-reading and laughing at this sentence, "says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water"...thank you for this

And like I already mentioned above, if you were to actually watch the video and listen, he immediately follows that by saying, " If you believe that, you'll believe anything, ha ha ha "

Actually see him as quite a humble guy, and yes I'm a daily viewer of his YT channel along with Finch, great course vlogs with awesome banter, and some impressive shots made while being filmed. Of course you take any thing you read or hear with an objective viewpoint, I don't see his review as the end all, but its quite entertaining and he doesn't claim any bias as far as I'm concerned.

Haha wow I didn't notice that. That actually changes my entire view of him - thanks for pointing that that out. Cheers. (not sarcasm)

Thinking about all this, him actually posting those scores shows a lot about who he is. He knows he's not a world beater and isn't trying to fool anybody into thinking he is. He has game when he's really on, but obviously that doesn't happen all the time. Good on him for posting those scores.

And to all the people saying "my buddy is a 2 and he would NEVER shoot that!"....you sound like an idiot. And yeah I guarantee your "buddy who is a 2" could shoot that in a tournament setting. Rick has been open about coming up short mentally when it comes to tournaments. I just keep laughing at the "my friend is a 3" comments....keep me comin.

On vacation with his family, little or no play or practice in winter, not all that surprising. I'll bet anyone he played with had a great time.

I understand all that but my pal plays off 1 and has a day job. I can't see him scoring like that.

Exactly, I have a couple of buddies with day jobs that play off 1, 2 & 3 and I've never seen them go beyond an 82 on their worst days. Let alone doing that on three consecutive days. He is not good AT ALL.

It's unfortunate but it happens. Shiels has a family and a couple of younger kids so his time to spend countless hours is limited unlike Finch who has really worked hard to improve his swing (his videos with Dan Whittaker are really terrific). Shiels needs some more time with DW to correct all the faults that have crepped back into his swing again. He still shoots low scores occasionally so let's hope he gets back to form.

Dan Whittaker really knows his stuff and has a lot of interesting videos. Shields is one if the better club reviewers online and the new way he is doing it over 2 weeks us better because he gives a honest opinion at the end of it? Personally I think Neil Tappin does the best reviews. I can't watch Finch, he just irritates me.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56D & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist - Pro V1

Rick 100% has a vanity cap. He plays terribly in a lot of his vlogs. He said he had a great back 9 at sawgrass and had 4 birdies, but in his video he didn' make a single putt. Says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water. He also got an 8 on 18.

I don't even know who the guy is but I can't stop re-reading and laughing at this sentence, "says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water"...thank you for this

And like I already mentioned above, if you were to actually watch the video and listen, he immediately follows that by saying, " If you believe that, you'll believe anything, ha ha ha "

Actually see him as quite a humble guy, and yes I'm a daily viewer of his YT channel along with Finch, great course vlogs with awesome banter, and some impressive shots made while being filmed. Of course you take any thing you read or hear with an objective viewpoint, I don't see his review as the end all, but its quite entertaining and he doesn't claim any bias as far as I'm concerned.

Haha wow I didn't notice that. That actually changes my entire view of him - thanks for pointing that that out. Cheers. (not sarcasm)

Thinking about all this, him actually posting those scores shows a lot about who he is. He knows he's not a world beater and isn't trying to fool anybody into thinking he is. He has game when he's really on, but obviously that doesn't happen all the time. Good on him for posting those scores.

To be honest, I stopped following him the second he created the "Quest for the Open" series. He has never been good enough to play pro tournament golf, and obviously shooting a +41 in 3 rounds tells that he is not serious about fixing his tournament golfing. He has grown a huge channel and it is paying off, but as an entertainer. He found a good content vertical with Rob and to each his own, but him trying to qualify for The Open with little to no serious practice at all is absolutely impossible. He should focus on other content that is working for him. My 2c

Let’s be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon’s, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren’t going low and shooting 60’s. Oh wait it’s WRX everyone shots 60’s and booming drives

Butch Harmon won on the PGA tour in the 70s and Ledbetter was a European tour player, so those guys could play at one time.

I notice a lot of his recent vlogs aren't really posting scores either. Hey, I'm not a RS lover or hater, but he's all about entertaining now it seems. I hope this is because Fried Eggs guy did the video and this isn't the norm. I like golfing vlogs where I see real guys playing courses I'll probably never get to enjoy. This definitely wasn't it.

I think because that Rick and Sam were guests and part of a fourball they weren't able to do their usual filming, the same thing happened with Sawgrass. Due to the high traffic on the course he wasn't able to do his usual vlog, which is a shame as we'd love to see a six part vlog around Sawgrass or Lake Nona.

Just like Rick, I know a few pros in my area that have tour level speed and smash it on GC2. They can be erratic on the course but can also pull off insanely good shots. More than anything I think they're just rusty from not playing much.

Bottom line, Rick has a nice looking swing and friendly manner on video. I'm a fan of his youtube stuff and a few high scores don't change my mind.

Some absolute keyboard warriors in here!

The guy averaged 72.4 in 2016. He can play.

He’s had a bad weekend. Who hasn’t had one of them? All it takes is a tough course, with tough conditions (the scoring would suggest it was) coupled with a lack of practice or working through some swing issues and it’s easy to see where scores like that can come from.

I’m a scratch, have been as low as +3 and I’ve had weekends like that before.

What people need to remember is that rick would have holed everything out on every hole. There was no withdrawing, or NRing or whatever the American equivalent would be when you don’t submit a score or complete a round. So the guys that are saying they have 4 handicap friends who are more consistent than that are probably the same people who “average” 280 yard drives. Meaning their good ones average 280 yards!

Give the guy a bit of slack!