Mizuno ST 180 Driver vs Mizuno GT 180 Driver

ProjectX

Anyone hit both yet? Difference in numbers? Mostly curious about the GT 180 with the weights placed forward in the toe and heel.

Thanks!

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a good review online from Alex Etches at Golf Box in Australia if you are interested. He is a bit of a monster and hits the ball very hard so probably not comparable to most!!

Thanks, link to video for those interested:

Titleist Pro V1x #13

looking at your sig... your probably fit Alex's review lol

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

looking at your sig... your probably fit Alex's review lol

Very similar swing and build. Like watching myself on video lol. Although he did miss the best method to drop the spin the GT. He just popped the weights both in the center and moved them forward. If he put one in the heel and one in the toe both forward he could kill more of the spin while at the same time increasing MOI. Still sounds like the ST had better spin numbers, but the carry distances were still nearly identical when he hit it well.

Titleist Pro V1x #13

I am hoping someone with JPX900 Driver will test it against these two new ones. Pretty big following on here of the JPX900

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos Blue S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50
Odyssey 7 ch 

Agreed. Would really love to see that all three tested together when fit correctly.

Titleist Pro V1x #13

Just picked up a new, in plastic JPX 900 on The Bay for $190. I can't wait to hit it. I never buy a driver without testing, but the reviews I've read sing pretty high praise by most that have my swing characteristics. I will still test the GT, but hope that I like the JPX900 as much or better so I don't have to drop the extra coin!

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

900 was straightest driver I have ever hit but had to give it up as the loft at 7.5* still looked like 10* and I just launched it to high - even with a Tensei white in it. Still looking for one as a backup. Looking forward to testing the GT vs the M3 lineup

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9*/Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15*/Ventus TR Blue 8x

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 21*/Ventus TR Black 8x 

Srixon ZX MKII 4/Ventus Blue 9x
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW/PX 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 Raw 50M-54M-58M/PX 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Milled 3T

Titleist ProV1

900 was straightest driver I have ever hit but had to give it up as the loft at 7.5* still looked like 10* and I just launched it to high - even with a Tensei white in it. Still looking for one as a backup. Looking forward to testing the GT vs the M3 lineup

Based on the video it sounds like the GT180 with the weights pushed all the way forward in the heel and toe could be the answer. He's complaining in the video that the GT 180 spins too much meanwhile carrying it the exact same distance as the ST180. That to me means push the weights forward in the heel and toe and drop a low spin shaft in there and the thing is probably and absolute rocket. He's also using a regular Tensei, not the Tensei pro so there is way more in that club for him if fitted correctly.

Titleist Pro V1x #13

Based on the video it sounds like the GT180 with the weights pushed all the way forward in the heel and toe could be the answer. He's complaining in the video that the GT 180 spins too much meanwhile carrying it the exact same distance as the ST180. That to me means push the weights forward in the heel and toe and drop a low spin shaft in there and the thing is probably and absolute rocket. He's also using a regular Tensei, not the Tensei pro so there is way more in that club for him if fitted correctly.

The spin would be a benefit to me. While I'm not a slow swinger by most standards (near 100 SS), I have a very smooth tempo and drivers with a little bit of spin are helpful to give me maximum carry and still get a bit of roll out. I agree, the shaft is the key and I can't wait to give this a run. With that said, what would be some good mid-to-low spin shafts with a stiff tip that might work with a head with a bit of spin?

Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread by now, but I'm looking into the GT 180 as well. I've gamed a JPX 900 for the past year. I couldn't agree more with the above comment. It's the most forgiving and straightest driver I've ever had, in a smaller package that looks amazing. I have it at 7.5* in an X-Stiff Speeder 757 Evo2... and I still hit it at around 2650 rpm and high. I'm around 110 mph when I'm playing, and I actually picked up another blue weight after completely unscrewing that God-awful alignment weight (worst idea ever if you drag it back). My weights are toe, heel, and center front... and I'm still averaging 2650 rpms and high at 111 mph. I'm around 1* positive AoA... so there's nothing I haven't thought of other than a shaft change, which I don't want to do because I can't feel the head with super-boardy shafts. All of that said, the driver is incredible and it's staying in my bag unless the GT 180 is better. I think that JPX 900 head is just a touch shallow... looks like a super-huge 3W. If that GT is at all deeper, that would probably do it for me. It's not getting bumped by the SZ or M3 because I don't worry about trees with it.

I know this is an old thread by now, but I'm looking into the GT 180 as well. I've gamed a JPX 900 for the past year. I couldn't agree more with the above comment. It's the most forgiving and straightest driver I've ever had, in a smaller package that looks amazing. I have it at 7.5* in an X-Stiff Speeder 757 Evo2... and I still hit it at around 2650 rpm and high. I'm around 110 mph when I'm playing, and I actually picked up another blue weight after completely unscrewing that God-awful alignment weight (worst idea ever if you drag it back). My weights are toe, heel, and center front... and I'm still averaging 2650 rpms and high at 111 mph. I'm around 1* positive AoA... so there's nothing I haven't thought of other than a shaft change, which I don't want to do because I can't feel the head with super-boardy shafts. All of that said, the driver is incredible and it's staying in my bag unless the GT 180 is better. I think that JPX 900 head is just a touch shallow... looks like a super-huge 3W. If that GT is at all deeper, that would probably do it for me. It's not getting bumped by the SZ or M3 because I don't worry about trees with it.

Forgot... tried the ST 180, and that was hot garbage for me. It looked closed, and I hit huge hooks with swings that felt pretty good. It also sounded tinny. Again, not bashing the driver because it's all about fit. For me... hot garbage.

Was the replacement blue weight more flush than the stock alignment weight?

I took that alignment weight completely out. The old Cobra wrench was the perfect fit. It felt a touch light, so I added a 3rd blue weight in the center slot, so there's one toe, one heel, and one center track. It's perfectly flush, and honestly this is the way I would have presented the product. I don't do anything unusual in my takeaway, and I was catching that stupid alignment thing. Ridiculous.

I took that alignment weight completely out. The old Cobra wrench was the perfect fit. It felt a touch light, so I added a 3rd blue weight in the center slot, so there's one toe, one heel, and one center track. It's perfectly flush, and honestly this is the way I would have presented the product. I don't do anything unusual in my takeaway, and I was catching that stupid alignment thing. Ridiculous.

You bought the spare blue weight where? Thank you for this information. My takeaway is a bit lower than many and I hate catching it.

Mizuno was nice enough to send me one since I lost one.

I tried it without a 3rd weight after I removed the alignment piece, and it felt good... just a touch light. After adding the 3rd weight it felt perfect. Just a small swingweight preference. You certainly don't have to, and technically you'll swing slightly faster if you don't.

I've been continuing to look into the GT180, but several people I trust told me that there is no significant difference. I'm a buyer if it's the same driver and lowers my spin by even 250 rpms. The ST180 has been receiving better reviews, but it was a total waste of time for me.

I tried it without a 3rd weight after I removed the alignment piece, and it felt good... just a touch light. After adding the 3rd weight it felt perfect. Just a small swingweight preference. You certainly don't have to, and technically you'll swing slightly faster if you don't.

I've been continuing to look into the GT180, but several people I trust told me that there is no significant difference. I'm a buyer if it's the same driver and lowers my spin by even 250 rpms. The ST180 has been receiving better reviews, but it was a total waste of time for me.

Thanks for the reply. I sent a note to Mizuno. Also, for what it's worth, I too did not find the ST 180 to be anything special, but many do.

Thanks for the reply. I sent a note to Mizuno. Also, for what it's worth, I too did not find the ST 180 to be anything special, but many do.

Thats the right play contacting Mizuno Golf. ST180 is a unique creature and I have had lots of experience with this vs my two yr gamer JPX900. The ST was lower spin lower flight for me than the JPX900 with the weights all the way up center channel same shaft and loft setting and the spin was still lower by 800 rpm average with the ST. Thats why they make the ST180 HL and GT180. I like that there are lots of options with all three of these beasts, but when considering the standard ST180 make sure you are a player that needs to get the driver spin down and then shaft plays a huge role in the dial in. I love all three and could game any of them...just prefer the consistency across the misses of the ST180 HL and the Tensi CK Blue is every bit as smooth as the Fuji Speeder Evo2 IMHO with my 107-108mph SS

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Thats the right play contacting Mizuno Golf. ST180 is a unique creature and I have had lots of experience with this vs my two yr gamer JPX900. The ST was lower spin lower flight for me than the JPX900 with the weights all the way up center channel same shaft and loft setting and the spin was still lower by 800 rpm average with the ST. Thats why they make the ST180 HL and GT180. I like that there are lots of options with all three of these beasts, but when considering the standard ST180 make sure you are a player that needs to get the driver spin down and then shaft plays a huge role in the dial in. I love all three and could game any of them...just prefer the consistency across the misses of the ST180 HL and the Tensi CK Blue is every bit as smooth as the Fuji Speeder Evo2 IMHO with my 107-108mph SS

Bad news to report. I helped the guys at the center get the GT180 head out of the box today, and I hit it with all configurations today on Flightscope using my 757-X Evo2. The good news is that you can simply slide the (awful) alignment weight out by unscrewing it. The bad news is that the JPX 900 weights don't work for the GT180. The driver is noticeably deeper than the JPX 900 with a larger footprint and overall look. I was psyched to see this, because this was sure to get my spin down by the 300 rpms I'm looking for... right??? Um... WRONG!!! I can't tell you how disappointed I am to report that the numbers were almost absolutely identical to my JPX 900. If we're being super technical, my SS was about 1 mph faster with the JPX 900, but the ball speeds were a match because the GT180 smash was a touch higher. Ugh. So disappointed. If there's a bias to report, it's that I wanted to GT180 to work too badly, but it didn't... and I certainly won't be buying one.

Maybe this weekend I'll give the ST180 one last try because everyone swears that it spins so low... even though that wasn't the case for me (and it looks closed). I know my only answer would be to change out to a really tip stiff shaft, but I hate that, because I'm useless if I can't feel where the clubhead is at all times. Every Speeder 757 dating back to the original one have been amazing, and I can't imagine swapping that out for some TourSpec White something in order to save 400 rpms. Maybe I'll just have to accept the fact that I overspin the ball and leave 10 yards out there in exchange for how straight and forgiving the JPX 900 is. That would certainly be the smart move... whether or not it's my move, we'll have to see!

Bad news to report. I helped the guys at the center get the GT180 head out of the box today, and I hit it with all configurations today on Flightscope using my 757-X Evo2. The good news is that you can simply slide the (awful) alignment weight out by unscrewing it. The bad news is that the JPX 900 weights don't work for the GT180. The driver is noticeably deeper than the JPX 900 with a larger footprint and overall look. I was psyched to see this, because this was sure to get my spin down by the 300 rpms I'm looking for... right??? Um... WRONG!!! I can't tell you how disappointed I am to report that the numbers were almost absolutely identical to my JPX 900. If we're being super technical, my SS was about 1 mph faster with the JPX 900, but the ball speeds were a match because the GT180 smash was a touch higher. Ugh. So disappointed. If there's a bias to report, it's that I wanted to GT180 to work too badly, but it didn't... and I certainly won't be buying one.

Maybe this weekend I'll give the ST180 one last try because everyone swears that it spins so low... even though that wasn't the case for me (and it looks closed). I know my only answer would be to change out to a really tip stiff shaft, but I hate that, because I'm useless if I can't feel where the clubhead is at all times. Every Speeder 757 dating back to the original one have been amazing, and I can't imagine swapping that out for some TourSpec White something in order to save 400 rpms. Maybe I'll just have to accept the fact that I overspin the ball and leave 10 yards out there in exchange for how straight and forgiving the JPX 900 is. That would certainly be the smart move... whether or not it's my move, we'll have to see!

Last post on this: Went up today and hit around 20 balls each with the JPX 900, GT180, and ST180... each shafted with my 757 Evo 2 X, a Tensei White 70X, and a Kuro Kage 70X. All combinations, toe/heel weighting for the JPX and GT. Conclusions:

The ST180 is a closed hook machine. It wasn't even worth switching shafts because I couldn't keep it on the grid without aiming at the right grid lines. Total waste of time.

The GT180 and the JPX 900 again produced near identical numbers and are both GREAT, not good drivers. The GT is a little deeper, which I love and has a slightly bigger footprint, which I don't. The results are so identical, switching to the new one may not happen even if it were free. I like the finish of the JPX 900 better, and that's literally enough reason to choose one over the other because of the matching numbers.

The only thing interesting about the shafts was the Tensei White. The Kuro Kage had no feel and I had no clue where the ball was going. My Evo2 obviously was great for me, and the Tensei felt like a Dynamic Gold X100. Can't describe it any other way, but it felt like the grip flexed coming through before the rest of the shaft, and then it would all whoosh through together. It felt like an X100... that's the best I can do.

Conclusion: Search for some tip stiff shafts that have feel (if they exist)... or stick with what I have. I'm out!

Last post on this: Went up today and hit around 20 balls each with the JPX 900, GT180, and ST180... each shafted with my 757 Evo 2 X, a Tensei White 70X, and a Kuro Kage 70X. All combinations, toe/heel weighting for the JPX and GT. Conclusions:

The ST180 is a closed hook machine. It wasn't even worth switching shafts because I couldn't keep it on the grid without aiming at the right grid lines. Total waste of time.

The GT180 and the JPX 900 again produced near identical numbers and are both GREAT, not good drivers. The GT is a little deeper, which I love and has a slightly bigger footprint, which I don't. The results are so identical, switching to the new one may not happen even if it were free. I like the finish of the JPX 900 better, and that's literally enough reason to choose one over the other because of the matching numbers.

The only thing interesting about the shafts was the Tensei White. The Kuro Kage had no feel and I had no clue where the ball was going. My Evo2 obviously was great for me, and the Tensei felt like a Dynamic Gold X100. Can't describe it any other way, but it felt like the grip flexed coming through before the rest of the shaft, and then it would all whoosh through together. It felt like an X100... that's the best I can do.

Conclusion: Search for some tip stiff shafts that have feel (if they exist)... or stick with what I have. I'm out!

I'm curious as to your settings on the sole of the 900 and GT. Thanks.