2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

True Linkswear Original and Outsiders?

I ordered a size 9.5 which is the same size I wear in FJ and .5 smaller than Nike (10)

They are supposed to arrive tomorrow (almost 2 weeks after I ordered them...ugh...UPS fro PNW to east coast has been ridiculously slow)

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Callaway GBB Epic 15*
Callaway XR 19*
Taylormade p790 5-P,A
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Srixon Z Star

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a pair of these this year. Haven’t taken them on the course yet but I can echo most things already said.

Most comfortable shoes I’ve ever worn (I have flat feet, and something about the zero drop just works)

My ankle is pretty sore after a range session. As I’ve read, these shoes make you use muscles you’re not used to using. Suggest to break them in with swings before a full round

Really like the looks of the originals and would really like to pick up a pair. However sizing seems confusing, I read some reviews where some people say they run small in size, some say they run large. When I look at their size chart 27.9 cm is a 11, on FJ and Eccos size chart 28 cm is a 10.

I had the first trues that came out in size 10.5 but they are now a little bit tight and they where considered very large in size. Would appreciate some recommendations, thinking about 11 or 11.5. I have sent question to True directly but they have not replied.

What size did you end up going with if you ordered? stuck with this same conundrum right now

I went with size 11. I use 10.5 in FJ and 11 in Skechers and UA. Will see. A little bit disappointed in Trues customer service, tried to reach them several times on the chat and e-mail but without any input.

Really like the looks of the originals and would really like to pick up a pair. However sizing seems confusing, I read some reviews where some people say they run small in size, some say they run large. When I look at their size chart 27.9 cm is a 11, on FJ and Eccos size chart 28 cm is a 10.

I had the first trues that came out in size 10.5 but they are now a little bit tight and they where considered very large in size. Would appreciate some recommendations, thinking about 11 or 11.5. I have sent question to True directly but they have not replied.

What size did you end up going with if you ordered? stuck with this same conundrum right now

I went with size 11. I use 10.5 in FJ and 11 in Skechers and UA. Will see. A little bit disappointed in Trues customer service, tried to reach them several times on the chat and e-mail but without any input.

yeah i have had zero success in reaching them as well. I am usually a 10 in FJ so i guess i will try a 10.5 and return them if they don't fit. Seems like that could be a long turnaround based on the shipping times quoted above

Finally got a response and they said that sizing is usually between FJ and Nike and recommended size 10.5 for me as I'm usually 10 in FJ.

I ordered a size 9.5 which is the same size I wear in FJ and .5 smaller than Nike (10)

They are supposed to arrive tomorrow (almost 2 weeks after I ordered them...ugh...UPS fro PNW to east coast has been ridiculously slow)

My Originals arrived today. Fit is correct based off my best guess, I ordered a 9.5 which is the same size as my FJ Pro SLs and .5 smaller than Nike.

Very comfortable and the best looking Trues to date imo. Should get them out on the course this weekend but very impressed thus far.

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Callaway GBB Epic 15*
Callaway XR 19*
Taylormade p790 5-P,A
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Srixon Z Star

That sucks about customer service not being responsive. I’ve had good experiences, they’ve even replied on the weekend a couple of times. Hopefully it’s a blip and not the trend.

I also have a 15% coupon code so DM me if you’d like it or have questions on sizing.

After reading about some of the ship times I think I had better get on with ordering a pair of Classics. After wearing out a pair of the originals and a couple pairs of the 2nd gen Tours I'll be super interested to see how the new model compares ... no question the Trues have been my all time favorite shoes.

Order placed for a pair of Originals and really looking forward to getting them. I hope they're as great as the original Tours -- if so I'm going to have to spring for several backup pairs. Learned my lesson, It's nerve-wracking to be on your last pair of shoes knowing that there is nothing on the market that's a great fit!

I've now worn the Outsiders and Originals on both occasions and I am really happy with both. These are definitely the best shoes True has come out with in a long time. The Outsiders definitely have more cushioning but that's not to say the Originals are bare bones. I think I'm preferring the Originals for most use but the Outsiders will be great when I'm walking 36. I could see wearing the Originals for a morning 18 and then switching to the Outsiders for the afternoon 18 just to have a little bit more cushioning when my legs are tired. I'm also really impressed with the grip. The Originals give you great ground feel and the soles really stick to the turf. The materials are also really great and I'm looking forward to seeing how they wear over time.

Is the width similar to Motion or narrow like the Element?

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

I'm really looking into getting a pair but not sure my size. I'm 12 in adidas and NB, would these be pretty close?

I'm a 12 in Adidas and NB as well and the True Originals in size 12 are a great fit.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I never gave my input on the originals I purchased when they were first released. The shoe has held up very well. I've realized that shoes like this that keep you flat footed and close to the ground are best for my swing. The only downside to these that I've come across is now that I have a push cart, they are not that great for walking. With next to no padding in the sole, your feet really feel the impact after walking. Other than that, I wear these for range sessions and cart rounds but going to have to switch to different shoes for walking rounds.

10/10 happy with the purchase and want more pairs in the future but to me, it's not great for walking rounds.

I never gave my input on the originals I purchased when they were first released. The shoe has held up very well. I've realized that shoes like this that keep you flat footed and close to the ground are best for my swing. The only downside to these that I've come across is now that I have a push cart, they are not that great for walking. With next to no padding in the sole, your feet really feel the impact after walking. Other than that, I wear these for range sessions and cart rounds but going to have to switch to different shoes for walking rounds.

10/10 happy with the purchase and want more pairs in the future but to me, it's not great for walking rounds.

Just a comment, these are great for walking but you have to break your feet/legs in. I run in barefoot shoes and took about 2-3 months to break your feet and legs in. Once your legs/feet get used to it they are amazing! Just go slow (distance wise) if you decide to walk in them!

Four questions on these.

1. Can anybody compare the toe box width of the Original and the Outsider? The website says that Originals are extra wide (up to EEE) and Outsiders are wide (up to E). I need a wide toe box and a narrow heel.

2. How flexible is the leather at the base of the side of the big toe? I have hallux rigidus - bone spurs - and they need room to poke out on the side. I'm concerned the Outsider has an overlay at the spot so may be less flexible than the Original

3. How is the depth - I need to put an orthotic under the foot bed?

4. Sizing question -- I wear a 9.5 Wide in FJ (Versaluxe has been my shoe of choice for past couple of years). While too wide in the heel, they are good lengthwise - I'm thinking 9.5 in the True - anybody have an opinion?

Thanks

Four questions on these.

1. Can anybody compare the toe box width of the Original and the Outsider? The website says that Originals are extra wide (up to EEE) and Outsiders are wide (up to E). I need a wide toe box and a narrow heel.

2. How flexible is the leather at the base of the side of the big toe? I have hallux rigidus - bone spurs - and they need room to poke out on the side. I'm concerned the Outsider has an overlay at the spot so may be less flexible than the Original

4. Sizing question -- I wear a 9.5 Wide in FJ (Versaluxe has been my shoe of choice for past couple of years). While too wide in the heel, they are good lengthwise - I'm thinking 9.5 in the True - anybody have an opinion?

Thanks

I can't comment on 1-3, but for 4 I went a .5 size larger in the Trues than what I wear in FJ and they fit perfectly.

Four questions on these.

Thanks

I can talk to number 1. I also need narrow heel shoes(usually wear Eccos) and chose the outsiders. I liked both but the outsider was a better fit in the heel. Toe box is narrower in the outsider as well. I wear a regular width and the toe box is fine in the outsiders but the originals were a good bit wider there. I wear a 9 and they are true to size for me.

I have a question. If you put a prescribed special orthotic in the original, would that negate the zero drop on the shoe? I'm not suppose to wear zero drop shoes but I tried the outsider and LOVED it but could get a good fit. The toe box was a little narrow but the original has a wider toe box.

The Outsider is not a zero drop shoe. It is considered a mid drop or transitional drop. I believe their website lists it as a 4-6mm drop. I am use to Ecco zero drops but Liked the fit of the Outsiders over the Originals as I needed a narrower heel. I absolutely love the Outsiders.

I have a question. If you put a prescribed special orthotic in the original, would that negate the zero drop on the shoe? I'm not suppose to wear zero drop shoes but I tried the outsider and LOVED it but could get a good fit. The toe box was a little narrow but the original has a wider toe box.

It depends on the insole you use. If there is a drop to the insole then that will be the new drop for the shoes (roughly speaking).

As mentioned, the Outsiders have a 4-6 mm drop. So not zero but half (or less) than most shoes on the market. IMO, lower drop is better as long as you transition effectively. Under 6mm is my preference.

drn92

Finally got a chance to get the Originals out on the course. Played them 3 days in a row and day 4 in a pair of previously unworn True Tours (v2). I'm seriously impressed with the quality of the new Originals - they feel super solid in all aspects. Comfort right out of the box was good. Traction was better than expected, didn't slip once and had quite a bit of confidence even on dormant grass. It didn't rain so I didn't get to see how they'd do on wet dormant grass/clay but I'm not sure anything would be good there! The Originals may be just a hair smaller and narrower than the Tours (v2) but sizing felt really pretty much the same.

I do wish I could get a larger size but understand that the market shrinks as the sizes get larger. I'll live with the minor discomfort and it's certainly not a True issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the True Originals and they are awesome shoes. I bought my first pair a few months ago and just bought another pair at 15% off using the code TRUEDEAL15. have never been happier with a pair of golf shoes. The level of comfort is apparent right out of the box. As I had never worn spikeless or True Linkswear before, I had a minor adjustment period on the golf course. Most notably, I had to get comfortable with my balance when swinging from uneven lies. I used to really "lean" on my old golf shoes (which had a bit more structure) on uneven lies, but the flexible upper on these shoes did not allow me to shift my weight quite as dramatically. I have adjusted to this and I am relying more on my core for balance in these situations, which has produced more controlled swings and better shots. Finally, because the soles of the shoes are so thin, you can really "feel" the ground beneath your feet. I really enjoy this sensation, especially on the putting green. Overall, a great pair of shoes for any golfer and a MUST for any golfer that likes to walk.