2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Maui Jim v. Oakley

e-man

Oakley all the way...no debate

Prism golf? Field? Which one?

The fields for me are a lot more definitive and clear.

OP here. That's what I thought also when I compared them at the store. However, when I called the Oakley vault yesterday, they told me that the field highlights different colors than golf, and that while it may have seemed in the store that the field made certain colors pop, I would be missing out on some key colors/features that the golf was intended for if I went with field.

Does that make sense?

Oakley all the way...no debate

Prism golf? Field? Which one?

The fields for me are a lot more definitive and clear.

OP here. That's what I thought also when I compared them at the store. However, when I called the Oakley vault yesterday, they told me that the field highlights different colors than golf, and that while it may have seemed in the store that the field made certain colors pop, I would be missing out on some key colors/features that the golf was intended for if I went with field.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that is precisely what will happen. In a store environment, you have unnatural light, lighting unnatural objects, so when you get the golf lenses outside, you will see why they are awesome. The field is good, but its specific to contrast the field, sky and baseball. The golf has enhancements to lines in the grass (rough, fway and greens), contrasts the sky to track the ball better and gives you a better perception of depth for distance. I enjoy the detail enhancement on the greens, that other lenses do not provide. Its a great lense designed for golf.

Thanks big red. My wife and kids have Maui Jim and they love them. I've looked through them, but they are not prescription so it's hard to compare. My only issue with them is that for golf, I just don't love the frame options. For off the course, I would wear them in a heartbeat.

As for Oakley and the quality, I can only say that I've been very happy with my flak 2.0 gray polarized. They fit great and the lenses seem to be very clear to me. Maybe it's the difference better RX and non RX lenses.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

I just recently started wearing prescription glasses (tried about 8 different contacts, and couldn’t get them right). I haven’t had Maui prescriptions (or Oakley), but I imagine they are every bit as good as standard Mauis. The Maui prescription lenses for my frames are almost $500.

Like I said, ive owned several different Oakleys in several different tints and styles. I never had a problem with them, aside from how easily they scratch. There just is no comparison as far as optics are concerned between the two.

Maui Jim are superior to Oakley in every way as far as optics go. I've owned probably 10 pairs of oakleys, and since I bought my first pair of Mauis, I'll never buy oakleys again. There is no comparison.

:D

I can pretty much guarantee that if you were asked to participate in a blind sight test between 2 unmarked (of course) lenses, one Maui and one Oakley, to just compare both of their "optics", you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

No glasses are going to help with your golf game. If the lenses are too dark, a lighter lense is all you need. If you like the oakleys fit and style, just get different lenses. If you want better glasses, get the Mauis in a lighter color lense.

And you know this how ? It's akin to saying the "brush tee" won't give you 2(?) more yards. Or that altering your irons "1 up" won't help you hit it more towards your target. So many things in golf are "incremental", not to mention "invisible" (to your score), or extremely difficult to attribute a difference to, in nature.

I always played golf sans sunglasses. Until a little over 2 years ago. My eyes were always "tired" after the round. I started using Oakley (golf) Prizms all the time. I went from a 6/7 to a 4. Was it the sunglasses ? Probably not but who knows ? What I DO know is my eyes feel a whole lot better after the round. I also know that my green reading has become quite a bit better - but is that because of a lot more experience on differing course ? Or because of the Oakley's ? Who knows ?

Point is, you have a very well respected company telling you they makes lenses to specifically help your vision for certain specific activities, and you're basically saying "Hogwash". And (it appears) all because you love your $500+ MJs. :rolleyes:

You almost sound like a guy in my club for over 20 years. He still thinks there's no difference in golf shafts. :cheesy:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Maui Jim are superior to Oakley in every way as far as optics go. I've owned probably 10 pairs of oakleys, and since I bought my first pair of Mauis, I'll never buy oakleys again. There is no comparison.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you were asked to participate in a blind sight test between 2 unmarked (of course) lenses, one Maui and one Oakley, to just compare both of their "optics", you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

No glasses are going to help with your golf game. If the lenses are too dark, a lighter lense is all you need. If you like the oakleys fit and style, just get different lenses. If you want better glasses, get the Mauis in a lighter color lense.

And you know this how ? It's akin to saying the "brush tee" won't give you 2(?) more yards. Or that altering your irons "1 up" won't help you hit it more towards your target. So many things in golf are "incremental", not to mention "invisible" (to your score), or extremely difficult to attribute a difference to, in nature.

I always played golf sans sunglasses. Until a little over 2 years ago. My eyes were always "tired" after the round. I started using Oakley (golf) Prizms all the time. I went from a 6/7 to a 4. Was it the sunglasses ? Probably not but who knows ? What I DO know is my eyes feel a whole lot better after the round. I also know that my green reading has become quite a bit better - but is that because of a lot more experience on differing course ? Or because of the Oakley's ? Who knows ?

Point is, you have a very well respected company telling you they makes lenses to specifically help your vision for certain specific activities, and you're basically saying "Hogwash". And (it appears) all because you love your $500+ MJs. :rolleyes:

You almost sound like a guy in my club for over 20 years. He still thinks there's no difference in golf shafts. :cheesy:

I’m not going to sit here and argue with you, but I will say I’ve owned Oakleys (in G30, which were their golf specific lenses before they came out with Prizm, amongst other lenses as well), Costa, and Maui Jim’s, at the same time, and there really is no comparison. But I’m sure since you love your oakleys, you wouldn’t understand.

Of course your eyes were less fatigued, a $10 pair of gas station sunglasses would have accomplished that. ANY sunglasses are better than no sunglasses when you are spending hours at a time out in the sun.

Gee, Oakley makes a lense branded as their golf specific lense, and they tell you it will help you with your game. Who’da thunk it?? Isn’t that basically Marketing 101? lol, Keep drinking the koolade.

In 2 years time you dropped your handicap by 2 strokes. I would attribute that to playing more, but who knows, maybe you were a 6/7 for 30 years, bought the glasses, and have now dropped 2 strokes.

And no, I didn’t pay $500 for my Mauis. I wouldn’t pay that much for a pair of glasses. That is the cost of their prescription lenses for my particular frame, not what I paid for my non prescription pair.

Like I said earlier, if you like the frame styling of Oakley better, by all means get them. They’re great glasses with great lenses in a multitude of tints. If you want better optics, get Mauis.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you, but I will say I've owned Oakleys (in G30, which were their golf specific lenses before they came out with Prizm, amongst other lenses as well), Costa, and Maui Jim's, at the same time, and there really is no comparison. But I'm sure since you love your oakleys, you wouldn't understand.

Of course your eyes were less fatigued, a $10 pair of gas station sunglasses would have accomplished that. ANY sunglasses are better than no sunglasses when you are spending hours at a time out in the sun.

Gee, Oakley makes a lense branded as their golf specific lense, and they tell you it will help you with your game. Who'da thunk it?? Isn't that basically Marketing 101? lol, Keep drinking the koolade.

In 2 years time you dropped your handicap by 2 strokes. I would attribute that to playing more, but who knows, maybe you were a 6/7 for 30 years, bought the glasses, and have now dropped 2 strokes.

And no, I didn't pay $500 for my Mauis. I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of glasses. That is the cost of their prescription lenses for my particular frame, not what I paid for my non prescription pair.

Like I said earlier, if you like the frame styling of Oakley better, by all means get them. They're great glasses with great lenses in a multitude of tints. If you want better optics, get Mauis.

You're not going to argue with me but here you are disputing most everything I've said. Good one. :rolleyes: :cheesy:

Of course my eyes felt better ? :blink: I believe I said that.

I dropped my 'cap by a couple of shots and maybe it was playing more and not the glasses ? :blink: I believe I implied that as well.

My vision is perfectly clear without glasses and it is perfectly clear with the Prizms on. Explain to me how the Maui's could possibly be better.

And a world-class, respected manufacturer, specifically makes tints, etc that enhance vision for specific lighting conditions and activities but YOU know better. :cheesy: Talk about drinking spouting some Kool-aid nonsense,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Tin foil hat much ? :rolleyes:

You believe it makes no difference and/or the Maui's are still better, even for golf,,,,,,, By all means, knock yourself out,,,,,,,, please,,,,,,, :yes:

Always a pleasure :hi:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I have prescription Maui Jim Kawika with natural grey lenses for general wear and Oakley's Jupiter Squared (2014) with G30 Rose lenses worn when playing golf. Though I have worn Maui Jim glasses when playing golf they are NOT nearly as helpful as Oakley's with Rose lenses.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Another vote for Maui Jim's because of their customer service. A while ago, my pair of prescription Bamboo Forests fell off of my hat and got run over by the cart. The frames were smashed and I took them to the repair center in hopes of salvaging the lenses. If I recall correctly, I think they replaced the frame for $60.00.

I wouldn't mind try the prizm lenses, but I have a hard time finding a pair of Oakley's that fit my flat nose. I know that they offer "Asian" fits, but I haven't found a pair that I like so far...

I have transition BROWN lenses in my glasses and love them. I used to have grey transitions but now that I have used the brown, I will never go back to grey. For me the brown provides much better contrast than the grey. Mine are prescription too. So at dawn and dusk they lighten us significantly providing more light transmission.

I have had and still have brown lenses in all of my Oakleys. It is the perfect color for green reading for me. Sadly they don't make that color anymore because the prizms are way to bright for me. Sadly I wear prescription glasses now (only when necessary ) but cant walk around or play in them. Just haven't been able to adjust in a year and a half. Going to get new ones soon and then cgeck into Oakley prescriptions for golf. Tired of not seeing longer shots finish up.

If you don't try Smith chromapop you are selling yourself short. They have all the colors oakly and Maui have, just better IMO.

Styles are somewhat similar as well. The bronze, ignitor and copper have been successful on my end for golf. Grey, brown, not so much.

Also, tilt your head to the side when reading greens for grain, you'll be surprised how bright the grain down side is when wearing polarized lenses.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

I was a big Oakley guy for many years, but if you really compare Oakley to other top polarized lens brands, their clarity is ranked on the lower side. My brother was a big on Oakley for his prescription sunglasses and for years, we would have the Maui Jim vs Oakley debate when it mattered. He finally tried on a pair of Maui Jim's at his optometrist and he's never looked back. In terms of crisp and clarity, Maui Jim is near the top of the list while Oakley would be at the bottom.

1. Revo

2. Maui Jim

3. Costa Del Mar

4. Ray Ban

5. Oakley

I currently have 5 pairs of Maui Jim's. Mostly for fishing. My pair for golfing is the Ho'okipa. Very light and comfortable. My most common lens color is the HCL bronze which I use for those early mornings on the water. A very versatile color that you can wear all day.

If you don't try Smith chromapop you are selling yourself short. They have all the colors oakly and Maui have, just better IMO.

Styles are somewhat similar as well. The bronze, ignitor and copper have been successful on my end for golf. Grey, brown, not so much.

Also, tilt your head to the side when reading greens for grain, you'll be surprised how bright the grain down side is when wearing polarized lenses.

I'll give this a HARD second. Being in golf for 25+ years, and owning/have owned multiple models and lens options from every major sunglass company out there (Oakley, Costa, Maui,...list goes on and on), bar none the best lens and optics I've come across is Smith Optics Ignitor Photochromic polarized lens. I can wear them everyday, and straight out on the course at work or to play. I like them so much so that, despite being a huge sunglass 'ho (around $9000 spent in sunglasses over the past 5-7 years...sunglasses are all over the house), I've gone all Smith Optics/Ignitor lenses for my 3-4 daily wear/golf use glasses.

In my opinion - the primary reason for wearing sunglasses on the golf course is for eye protection. The differences in various makes, models, lenses etc. as it pertains to your golf score will be negligible.

I will defer to experts on the eye health and protection benefits of sunglasses for that reason. I met with my optometrist - he told me to always wear polarized lenses and he also told me Maui Jim offer the best level of polarization and have the best optics. I bought a pair of non-prescription Alakai with the HT lens - they are super light and comfortable. I know my game will be unchanged but I do feel good knowing my eyes are protected, I'm comfortable, and I look cool ... or as cool as an old, bald, plump guy can look.

In my opinion - the primary reason for wearing sunglasses on the golf course is for eye protection. The differences in various makes, models, lenses etc. as it pertains to your golf score will be negligible.

I will defer to experts on the eye health and protection benefits of sunglasses for that reason. I met with my optometrist - he told me to always wear polarized lenses and he also told me Maui Jim offer the best level of polarization and have the best optics. I bought a pair of non-prescription Alakai with the HT lens - they are super light and comfortable. I know my game will be unchanged but I do feel good knowing my eyes are protected, I'm comfortable, and I look cool ... or as cool as an old, bald, plump guy can look.

I agree that sunglasses, when it comes to golf, doesn't offer much performance enhancements. Its just protection from the harmful rays of the sun. But polarized lens do offer other benefits other than just protection, especially when it comes to other activities such as fishing. Polarized lens allow anglers to see into the water while normal lenses will still give you that glare on top of it. I remember when I was still wearing Oakley's and went out on my friend's boat for some bass fishing. He was telling me to cast in an area and kept asking me if I saw the fish and I didn't. I borrowed his Costa Del Mars and woah. There was a whole school on a bed that I didn't see. I was wondering why he was catching all the fish and I wasn't getting anything.

• 1 month later...

I was fortunate enough to get a free pair of Maui Jims through a promotion for Lincoln. They are very good. I broke them, and MJ repaired them for $10. That being said, I would not pay for either MJ or Oakley. I usually get LL Beans for $50. I believe they are made for Bean by Smith, and they are good enough for me.

I prefer MJ's myself but that's mostly due to the straight frame style of Oakley's. Unfortunately the Flaks just don't stay in place for me and move up and down on my face easily. For Golf I use Maui Jim Kaupo Gaps as they are very light weight and have a straight top that fits under a hat well if you wear one out on the course. I will say Smith Chromapops are really good too. I got a pair of Outlier TI's on Amazon for under $100 that if I didn't have my MJ's I would have no problem wearing on the golf course.

There is a definitely difference in the Prizm lens on the Oakley's I have and the MJ gray. I don't mind playing in the MJ's but I think the prizm golf is a slightly more versatile lens for more weather conditions. If I could get the Prizm lens in a "Wafarer" style frame, I'd probably go that route.

• 2 months later...

to add -

picked up a pair of the MJ Makaha's yesterday at my optician's with the grey colored lens. he didn't have the hcl bronze in stock, but will soon have more stock and let me swap if I feel the need.

he also sells Oakleys, though he walked me right past that display and advised what would have better eye protection.

I'd worn polarized prescription lenses in dark grey for umpteen years, and due to some recent improvements can now wear off the rack eyewear.

sunday on the course will be the real test.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Oakley had a table at our member-guest today, and they have a new Prizm "dark golf" lens that is darker than the original. The lenses aren't available for purchase for my half jackets yet but they should be around September. They looked great in the Flak frame I tried on.

Oakley had a table at our member-guest today, and they have a new Prizm "dark golf" lens that is darker than the original. The lenses aren't available for purchase for my half jackets yet but they should be around September. They looked great in the Flak frame I tried on.

I ordered the rx prizm golf dark about a week ago in the gauge 8 frame. Frame color I wanted is on backorder. Here’s hoping they arrive soon.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Prizm dark might be a bit too dark for early am, kind of how MJ gray are kinda dark. Prizms are awesome, thinking of getting some progressives made, but for now I wear MJ HCL Bronze which work sunup to sundown and if overcast and windy.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow