2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cobra F8+ driver. How is it?

dan040286

Very little experience, but hit both the F8 and F8+ at the pga show. My ss is 95-105 with the driver. I really didn’t care for the F8, but loved the F8+. Nice tight little draws ball after ball. Have one in the bag and headed to Palm Springs next week. Will report back if interested. Don’t forget the F8+ can be adjusted tomove the heavier weight back if you need more forgiveness. Also, launch can go as high as 11*

Good luck with the fitting.

Looked at them the other day in the shop but they were swamped and didn’t get a chance to hit them.

Does anyone else wish Cobras had a little deeper face? I tend to miss up and down moreso than laterally, and with the LTD Pro I had it seemed I had to tee it way down compared to other drivers or I was constantly at risk of a sky mark. I held it by an LTD and they appeared to be the same depth.

My G400LS *looks* quite a bit deeper by comparison.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Looked at them the other day in the shop but they were swamped and didn't get a chance to hit them.

Does anyone else wish Cobras had a little deeper face? I tend to miss up and down moreso than laterally, and with the LTD Pro I had it seemed I had to tee it way down compared to other drivers or I was constantly at risk of a sky mark. I held it by an LTD and they appeared to be the same depth.

Agree. I own the G400lst and the f8+. G400lst is definitely a deeper face. I kind of wish the f8+ was a little deeper, but it's a great driver (from my limited experience). I need more time with it, though. I ended up getting it right as a cold wave hit my area, so I don't have much experience with it yet.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

Looked at them the other day in the shop but they were swamped and didn't get a chance to hit them.

Agree. I own the G400lst and the f8+. G400lst is definitely a deeper face. I kind of wish the f8+ was a little deeper, but it's a great driver (from my limited experience). I need more time with it, though. I ended up getting it right as a cold wave hit my area, so I don't have much experience with it yet.

Kind of happy to hear the G400 LST has a deeper face. I was torn between the F8+ and G400 LST, and I went with Ping. I'm a big Cobra fan, still hitting my bio cell+.

I bought the f8+ blind, because I've pretty much liked every Cobra driver I've ever owned. The only thing I'd change on the f8+ would be to deepen the face a touch. Otherwise, from preliminary testing and looks, the f8+ is going to be up there with the bio cell+/and pro and LTD pro for me... The one time I had both out, g400lst probably won by a hair in the dispersion department, while the f8+ maybe won by a yard or two in distance (so pretty much a wash). I will say that the f8+ sounds and feels better than the g400LST, though. Visually , it looked like the LST was a little lower spinning than the f8+, with the heavy weight in the back. I'm thinking the f8+ would be lower spinning than the LST, if the heavy weight was placed in the front of the f8+.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

I hit the f8+ with some stock shaft they had and the spin was a little high but, I liked the feel of the club alot. So I ordered it with the same shaft I currently play the aldila rogue silver 70 xstiff and as long as you hit it higher on the face I get great numbers. My miss though is little low of center and towards the heal at times and when i do that the spin is up way more than my normal miss with the m2. I ended up selling it and going with the rogue sub zero since the spin was down and the misses didn't spin as much for me.

posted this in another thread, but wanted to follow up in here:

First shot with the F8+:

D35_BF63_C-8199-41_F2-8_FB1-6_F3872003_A03.jpg

A+ drive for me. High, beautiful flight. Maybe a 5 yard fade on it. Damn near shed a tear. Sound was a muted THWACK. Perfect. Biggest shocker: Didn't miss ONE SINGLE DRIVE LEFT. No snap hookers. Just pounded drives. Giddy.

Didn't touch the standard settings at all. Loft at 9.5*, 12g heavy weight forward. Ordered mine with the Hzrdus Black in the dark. Feels like I can just go all out at it without overpowering the shaft.

Last 5 shots of the day:

70_C4_DDDC-9_AA5-48_ED-_A47_B-5_DB443_A4_DB0_E.jpg

Yes, that is 5 separate ball impacts. :D I know it's just the driving range. I know that. I know it's the honeymoon period. I know. Damn if it didn't FEEL GOOD tho.

Took out my previous driver, an M1460, for a couple test hits to see if it was my new and improved setup... 2 good ones, one flare, and a snapping dive bomber. Trading it in ASAP. Thing is dead to me now.

Anyway, when you go test hit drivers this year, don't forget about the F8+. I blind-bought it during the cobra 25% off sale a couple weeks ago. Best out-of-the-box purchase for me since the Nike FI Premieres at BCF for $19.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I really wanted to love F8+. Bio Cell+ was one of my favorite drivers of all time.

To me, nothing on the market feels better than the past few years of Coba drivers... perfection.

However, F8+ was much like LTD for me - accurate but short with my 100mph swing speed, I saw LTD come to life at 110+, but that's not me. When I put F8+ against Epic SB, Rogue SB and G400 LST they were all longer, yet none were as accurate.

I have always been a high spin guy, so I knew what I had to do... I was prepared to take distance loss for fairways hit. Then, quite by accident, I stumbled into G400 Max...

It makes no sense, it should spin - a lot... but it doesn't! Now I have my ball speed, distance AND fairways... hello 2018!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I hit the F8+, M3 440, Rogue SZ and G400 LST at GG yesterday. Rogue was long but wanted to go left. M3 was just mehh, I like my current M1 440 more. F8+ was solid, long and good dispersion. The surprise winner was G400 LST. Launched 1* higher than F8+ with slightly less spin and it went laser straight.

For reference with my M1 440 shafted with Kuro Kage DC XT TX tipped 1” 44.5” I’m at 112 swing speed, 162 ball speed, 13* launch and 2800 RPM.

The G400 LST launches around 14* 2700RPM 165 Ball speed and just goes straight. This was with a plain Kuro Kage so I ordered one with a Tensei Pro Orange and it should be killer. Still may get a F8+ for on course shootout

I have a question for you guys. Can I assume you all have swing speeds over 100? I'm mid 90's and most seem to suggest its meant for higher swing speeds. I love the shape. I am actually going to a fitter tomorrow and may give it a shot, but thought I would ask anyway.

I hit the F8 and Rogue today and enjoyed both. Looking forward to my fitting.

Good luck with the fitting let us know how it goes...I am over 100 but not wrx long...that being said I don’t think it matters with speed with this one more important to get head and shaft correct in whatever driver you choose...

Agree here. The F8+ is lower spinning, but not as severe as some others out there. Those of us with moderate swing speeds (I'm around 100) with smooth tempo can look forward to some spin to keep the ball airborne longer and avoid that "drop from the sky" shot. This head, if matched with the right shaft can work for a lot of us. Where many golfers fail, is buying into the "lower spin drivers are the best thing" mantra. Unless you have a high SS and/or very quick tempo through the ball, a LS head will do more harm than good unless paired properly. I will be testing it too and probably will find that I need a higher spinning or launching shaft with proper characteristics to compliment the head. Good luck.

+1

I haven't checked my numbers but by most reviews it seems like 10of14 is right on point. Low spin but not super low like the M1 or Epic, but pretty close... and just as he said low spin is not for everybody... I think the spin rate of the f8+ with the weight forward is a "friendly" low spin. Just my 2¢.

For me I have all 3 and been testing it all with the same shaft (Elements Earth), F8 weight in draw, F8+ weight forward, and the LTD. In these setting they all seem to go just about the same distance on ideal strikes... 96-102 SS.

F8 - draw position really works, ball seems to go left much easier. I thinking i could hit more power fades with this set up... but unfortunately i'm not that talented!

F8+ weight forward plays similar to my LTD... sound is a little more muted than the LTD. Again distance between all 3 was about the same but I seem to hit more consistent bombs with the F8+... maybe its due to the face???

F9 / Attas Punch
5w - F6 Baffler
4, 3 - Apex 19 Hybrid
6, 5, 4 - Cobra Forged Tec SL
7-P - PXG 0211 ST
52, 58 - Cleveland RTX-3
Toulon Indianapolis

I just bought the F8+ and retired my Callaway Great Big Bertha (recent version). I used to play the Bio Cell Pro, and loved it, so happy to go back to Cobra. Hard to tell yet how this will do distance wise at my course because it’s not summer and the ball isn’t rolling out as much, but for me, this is a fairway finder and the distance feels like it’s going to be good. I have the weight in the front.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

I need more evidence that this IS the best driver of 2018. Don’t poison my mind with nonsense like getting trackman data for each and do a true comparison. Or trivial things like getting fit for the perfect shaft/head combination.

I have narrowed my search down to the F8+ or the G400. Everything I am reading says the G400 is endall Beall driver of 2018. I need the F8+ owners to make a stand and help convince me this driver is the right one. So when I go to do my LM testing I am not leaning too much to either side, that I am 100% certain that . . . Both are perfect for me. Then and only then can I make a open-minded choice.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

I hit the F8+ several times in the last week and it really impressed me, a mostly life long TM user and true skeptic of new technology in driver, and even more so of claims of improvement over prior generations. But the f8plus was really solid. I don’t mind the relatively shallow looking face. It may have been the shaft that was really solid for me performance wise but I hit ball after ball dead straight and long. I almost thought about trying to buy the demo I liked it so much. But, alas, today with the nice weather here in Ohio I couldn’t convince them to let me take it for a weekday spin at the course so still on the fence about what to replace the r11 with. The cobra had a really solid muted feel.

I need more evidence that this IS the best driver of 2018. Don’t poison my mind with nonsense like getting trackman data for each and do a true comparison. Or trivial things like getting fit for the perfect shaft/head combination.

I have narrowed my search down to the F8+ or the G400. Everything I am reading says the G400 is endall Beall driver of 2018. I need the F8+ owners to make a stand and help convince me this driver is the right one. So when I go to do my LM testing I am not leaning too much to either side, that I am 100% certain that . . . Both are perfect for me. Then and only then can I make a open-minded choice.

Ping's are ugly and sound like sh!t. Cobra's are sexy and sound great. That's all you need to know.

I need more evidence that this IS the best driver of 2018. Don't poison my mind with nonsense like getting trackman data for each and do a true comparison. Or trivial things like getting fit for the perfect shaft/head combination.

Ping's are ugly and sound like sh!t. Cobra's are sexy and sound great. That's all you need to know.

That's some funny stuff right there. I swing at about 102 to 105 with a smooth tempo and the NV 2KXV Blue was not a good shaft for me. I plan to try the NV Green. I want the F8+ to be the one, but the one that finds the fairways the most with good distance will be my next driver.

2023 Vice Pro Lime

Went to my first driver fitting this week. Ended up with the F8+ and Accra FX250 shaft. Everything I hit with it looked great on the track man numbers. SS is 95. M4 was the closest in performance but the flight was a bit different, I was getting repeatable baby draws with the F8+ and the M4 had a tendency to drift off to a slight fade. Looking forward to taking delivery and getting out on the course with it. The feel through the ball was really good, spin around 2500 and good mid launch. Considering swapping out my old Cleveland 3wood and hybrid for a biocell or F6 now that I have hit a cobra for the first time...

I need more evidence that this IS the best driver of 2018. Don't poison my mind with nonsense like getting trackman data for each and do a true comparison. Or trivial things like getting fit for the perfect shaft/head combination.

That's some funny stuff right there. I swing at about 102 to 105 with a smooth tempo and the NV 2KXV Blue was not a good shaft for me. I plan to try the NV Green. I want the F8+ to be the one, but the one that finds the fairways the most with good distance will be my next driver.

Both great drivers...played G400 last half of 2017...I for one like the look and feel of G400 (looks like the bat mobile) but that being said after hitting both more leaning towards f8+ because I get the same accuracy and distance but with better feel and feedback (I know when I miss the f8+) but it isn’t punishing except on maybe the worst swings...plus for me it hits my launch window with a bit better rollout distance than G400

Under construction....

I’ll admit I don’t have WRXers club head speed.What shaft would be recommended for a person with a 90 MPH club head speed and a quicker transition for the cobra 8 +.

Help a guy out (because I want to know the answer too)

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

I’ll admit I don’t have WRXers club head speed.What shaft would be recommended for a person with a 90 MPH club head speed and a quicker transition for the cobra 8 +.

... Shafts and swings are just so personal. There are guidelines that most fit into but there are always exceptions. Do you want a low, mid or high trajectory and what is your ball flight like now? Going by what you have described the Aldila Rogue Silver 60, NV2K Green 75 and HZRDUS Yellow 75 should be a good fit. With a quick transition at 90 mph you are right on the border for S or R flex. All 3 shafts I mentioned are pretty stiff tipped so you could probably get away with an R flex if you want more distance or S Flex for more accuracy, depending on your personal preference. Again, it is difficult to suggest shafts without seeing your swing or knowing exactly what you want in a shaft but these are a good starting points.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

F8 is definitely on my radar, too. I hit the + a bunch the other day in the Sim and most impressive was the sound and feel. Numbers were good, would love to see it on course. The G400 is still a beast though. I will say, both of these drivers allow for a few more MPH club head speed, at least for me where I couldn't find them with the TM drivers. All comes down to shaft I think but the only negative is the F8 crown... too "transformeree" looking... and I used to think the Pings were fugly. I could get past it though for performance I think.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

F8 is definitely on my radar, too. I hit the + a bunch the other day in the Sim and most impressive was the sound and feel. Numbers were good, would love to see it on course. The G400 is still a beast though. I will say, both of these drivers allow for a few more MPH club head speed, at least for me where I couldn't find them with the TM drivers. All comes down to shaft I think but the only negative is the F8 crown... too "transformeree" looking... and I used to think the Pings were fugly. I could get past it though for performance I think.

... I think the Black head hides the Aero Trips much better than the Nardo Gray and after a few swings you don't see anything but a black head.

... I think the Black head hides the Aero Trips much better than the Nardo Gray and after a few swings you don't see anything but a black head.

I would agree with that... The one I was demoing was black and it was definitely less noticeable. I just can't spring that much money on a Cobra driver knowing they will be dropping prices in the near future, seems they always do....

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

... I hear that but at $399 with an Even Flow Blue shaft that retails for $299, I didn't want to wait. I was blown away by the Even Flow Blue at the PGA Show. I have a smooth transition with a late release at 100mph and this shaft just fit me perfectly and just might be the smoothest feeling shaft I have hit.

Have just had a Cobra fitting for the driver and the fairway metal and wow is that a hot face. Went for the F8+ which suited my swing better.

Hzrdus black shaft in each, absolute monster of a club.

Adding 30 yards on both to my 2017 M2 driver and M1 fairway - complete transformation in penetration of the ball flight! Now they need to hurry up and deliver them!!!!!

Going to Carl's Golfland tomorrow to compare the G400 and F8+ head-to-head. I will try the HZRDUS in both first and then find the right head and shaft and make my purchase. Cobra will be there for the start of Demo Days so I should have a great choice of shafts

2023 Vice Pro Lime

Going to Carl's Golfland tomorrow to compare the G400 and F8+ head-to-head. I will try the HZRDUS in both first and then find the right head and shaft and make my purchase. Cobra will be there for the start of Demo Days so I should have a great choice of shafts

Your swing seems very similar to mine. Check out the hazardous yellow 6.0 and even flow blue. The tour AD IZ was great for me too.

Funny that when I posted earlier about checking them out in store it was at Carl's.

posted this in another thread, but wanted to follow up in here:

First shot with the F8+:

D35_BF63_C-8199-41_F2-8_FB1-6_F3872003_A03.jpg

A+ drive for me. High, beautiful flight. Maybe a 5 yard fade on it. Damn near shed a tear. Sound was a muted THWACK. Perfect. Biggest shocker: Didn't miss ONE SINGLE DRIVE LEFT. No snap hookers. Just pounded drives. Giddy.

Didn't touch the standard settings at all. Loft at 9.5*, 12g heavy weight forward. Ordered mine with the Hzrdus Black in the dark. Feels like I can just go all out at it without overpowering the shaft.

Last 5 shots of the day:

70_C4_DDDC-9_AA5-48_ED-_A47_B-5_DB443_A4_DB0_E.jpg

Yes, that is 5 separate ball impacts. :D I know it's just the driving range. I know that. I know it's the honeymoon period. I know. Damn if it didn't FEEL GOOD tho.

Took out my previous driver, an M1460, for a couple test hits to see if it was my new and improved setup... 2 good ones, one flare, and a snapping dive bomber. Trading it in ASAP. Thing is dead to me now.

Anyway, when you go test hit drivers this year, don't forget about the F8+. I blind-bought it during the cobra 25% off sale a couple weeks ago. Best out-of-the-box purchase for me since the Nike FI Premieres at BCF for $19.

snap hook is not an equipment fault.....

Fought em since I started and no piece of equip is immune....have hooked every club I've owned at one time or another