2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBERS' CHOICE: Best driver of 2018? Poll added

knudson81

It's that time of year! The most exciting time of year if you ask us here at GolfWRX.

Most of the companies have released their new drivers, and it's your turn to test them all and see what driver is going in your bag for the 2018 season.

ONCE YOU'VE TESTED the new drivers, please take the time to vote on what THREE drivers you think are the best of the bunch, and tell us why in the forum thread below.

Some questions to consider: Which driver was lowest spinning? Highest spinning? Longest? Straightest? What did you like about the three drivers you picked? What didn't you like about the drivers you didn't pick? What driver surprised you? What driver underwhelmed you? What was the best feeling and sounding driver of the bunch? And, most importantly, what driver do you plan on using in 2018?

Thanks for participating!We captured the data of the original poll prior to the software migration. Here it is...2hca1ap59icd.pngeye0ihm9mowh.png

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Performance differences in drivers have really narrowed. With launch monitors becoming more of the norm it has really come down to marrying the head to the shaft that produces the best results for the individual. The Ping G400 LST has produces great results for me in my short time with it. Ping has narrowed what many considered a distance gap while still maintaining that legendary Ping forgiveness. I am looking forward to seeing more from this driver in the coming season as the weather becomes more golf friendly. I have seen some impressive distances with the Callaway Epic, but the G400 LST finds the fairway more consistently it's been fun putting these two great drivers head to head I expect to see continued success with both as familiarity grows with each.

So after getting to get my hands on the demos for the new sticks, I have 3 extremely clear winners. These drivers truly separated themselves from the pack:

G400 LST Ping Tour 75s

Callaway Rogue Synergy S

Cobra F8+ Aldila NV S

The flights I had from these three were very different, but all in good ways. The G400 LST is easily the best driver I've ever hit. The thing just wanted to go straight and long. It's also the only driver I've ever hit that didn't start to slice when I started to go after it. It launched higher than any driver I've hit, but with good low spin numbers so it didn't balloon to get that high.

G400 LST Summary: high, straight, long, da best

The Callaway Rogue surprised me, honestly. I wasn't a huge fan of the epic and didn't expect much out of the Rogue. However, what I found was a driver that definitely felt better, looked better, and performed better than the epic. This driver launched much lower and spun low (1900-2200), but for some reason just stays in the air. It's just dead straight low-medium launch missiles. I've hit balls miles off the toe with this that launch around 9* with 1600rpm and the ball speed does not drop off at all despite the toe strike. With the maintaining of ball speed across the face, that terrible toe strike just ends up being another low but long bullet down the middle.

Rogue Summary: ultra forgiving missile launcher

Lastly, in third place, but by no fault of its own, the F8+. This was actually the first of these three I hit, and immediately fell in love with it. It feels amazing. Simply a wonderful driver to hit. Like the Rogue, this thing just hit absolute bullets for me. Slightly higher than the Rogue, but still much lower than the G400. Even on low hits on the face, it still felt good and spin didn't jump dramatically. Very well-balanced club that I enjoyed hitting.

F8+ Summary: Low spin bullet monster with great feel. Definitely the surprise driver along with the Rogue.

The disappointment(s): M3 & M4

Poor distance and dispersion from the M4 and a pure inability to find a weight and loft setting in the M3 that could match anything close to those top 3. I will admit, though, on heel strikes, they started more left than usual and worked back to almost dead center (twistface?). But, toe strikes were a disaster. There was no telling where they were going. Also, a good thing about the M3 & M4, I think the look and feel were greatly improved at address and impact respectively. The M3 looks amazing all around. The M4 looks ugly as sin on the bottom but address is good.

Overall:

G400 LST

Looks: 5/5

Feel: 4.5/5

Distance: 4.5/5

Forgiveness: 5/5

Total: 19/20

Rogue:

Looks: 4/5

Feel: 4/5

Distance: 5/5

Total: 18/20

F8+

Feel: 5/5

Forgiveness: 4/5

Total: 17.5/20

M3

Distance: 4/5

Forgiveness: 3/5

Total: 16.5/20

M4

Looks: 2/5

Distance: 3.5/5

Total: 14/20

Overall, there are some great drivers out there right now. More than a few for the first time that I can really get on with too. Really, though, the only way to get a good point of reference on what's best is to go out and try them. What's best for me may not be best for everyone else, so definitely try everything, and don't rule anything out like I did initially.

Anyway, excited to see what drivers everyone else has been enjoying!

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

So after getting to get my hands on the demos for the new sticks, I have 3 extremely clear winners. These drivers truly separated themselves from the pack:

The Rogue and Synergy teaming up sounds like a winning combo for me!!!! Thanks for great post!

G400 LST Ping Tour 75s

Callaway Rogue Synergy S

Cobra F8+ Aldila NV S

The flights I had from these three were very different, but all in good ways. The G400 LST is easily the best driver I’ve ever hit. The thing just wanted to go straight and long. It’s also the only driver I’ve ever hit that didn’t start to slice when I started to go after it. It launched higher than any driver I’ve hit, but with good low spin numbers so it didn’t balloon to get that high.

The Callaway Rogue surprised me, honestly. I wasn’€™t a huge fan of the epic and didn’t expect much out of the Rogue. However, what I found was a driver that definitely felt better, looked better, and performed better than the€ epic. This driver launched much lower and spun low (1900-2200), but for some reason just stays in the air. It€™s just dead straight low-medium launch missiles. I’ve hit balls miles off the toe with this that launch around 9* with 1600rpm and the ball speed does no€™t drop off at all despite the toe strike. With the maintaining of ball speed across the face, that terrible toe strike just ends up being another low but long bullet down the middle.

Lastly, in third place, but by no fault of its own, the F8+. This was actually the first of these three I hit, and immediately fell in love with it. It feels amazing. Simply a wonderful driver to hit. Like the Rogue, this thing just hit absolute bullets for me. Slightly higher than the Rogue, but still much lower than the G400. Even on low hits on the face, it still felt good and spin didn’t jump dramatically. Very well-balanced club that I enjoyed hitting.

F8+ Summary: Low spin bullet monster with great feel. Definitely the surprise driver along with the Rogue.

Poor distance and dispersion from the M4 and a pure inability to find a weight and loft setting in the M3 that could match anything close to those top 3. I will admit, though, on heel strikes, they started more left than usual and worked back to almost dead center (twistface?). But, toe strikes were a disaster. There was no telling where they were going. Also, a good thing about the M3 & M4, I think the look and feel were greatly improved at address and impact respectively. The M3 looks amazing all around. The M4 looks ugly as sin on the bottom but address is good.

Overall:

G400 LST

Rogue:

F8+

M3

M4

Overall, there are some great drivers out there right now. More than a few for the first time that I can really get on with too. Really, though, the only way to get a good point of reference on what’s best is to go out and try them. What’s best for me may not be best for everyone else, so definitely try everything, and don’t rule anything out like I did initially.

G400 LST Ping Tour 75s

Callaway Rogue Synergy S

Cobra F8+ Aldila NV S

The flights I had from these three were very different, but all in good ways. The G400 LST is easily the best driver I’ve ever hit. The thing just wanted to go straight and long. It’s also the only driver I’ve ever hit that didn’t start to slice when I started to go after it. It launched higher than any driver I’ve hit, but with good low spin numbers so it didn’t balloon to get that high.

The Callaway Rogue surprised me, honestly. I wasn’€™t a huge fan of the epic and didn’t expect much out of the Rogue. However, what I found was a driver that definitely felt better, looked better, and performed better than the€ epic. This driver launched much lower and spun low (1900-2200), but for some reason just stays in the air. It€™s just dead straight low-medium launch missiles. I’ve hit balls miles off the toe with this that launch around 9* with 1600rpm and the ball speed does no€™t drop off at all despite the toe strike. With the maintaining of ball speed across the face, that terrible toe strike just ends up being another low but long bullet down the middle.

Lastly, in third place, but by no fault of its own, the F8+. This was actually the first of these three I hit, and immediately fell in love with it. It feels amazing. Simply a wonderful driver to hit. Like the Rogue, this thing just hit absolute bullets for me. Slightly higher than the Rogue, but still much lower than the G400. Even on low hits on the face, it still felt good and spin didn’t jump dramatically. Very well-balanced club that I enjoyed hitting.

Overall:

G400 LST

Rogue:

F8+

M3

M4

Overall, there are some great drivers out there right now. More than a few for the first time that I can really get on with too. Really, though, the only way to get a good point of reference on what’s best is to go out and try them. What’s best for me may not be best for everyone else, so definitely try everything, and don’t rule anything out like I did initially.

The Rogue and Synergy teaming up sounds like a winning combo for me!!!! Thanks for great post!

Great reviews so far! I’m loving my G400, feel, sound, distance, and the most forgiving driver I’ve ever gamed.

I’ll be testing the rogue, M4, F8 , and Max shortly.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Great reviews so far! Im loving my G400, feel, sound, distance, and the most forgiving driver Ive ever gamed.

Ill be testing the rogue, M4, F8 , and Max shortly.

George400 to the max!

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Top 3 for me would be Cobra F8+, TM M4, TM M3

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

For me it’s the Rogue, Rogue SZ and Cobra F8

1. Rogue and the bigger head made upgrading from Epic a no brainer for me. I was very ready to stay in Epic this year but this new head does increase forgiveness (my dispersion got better with same shaft as Epic) and it launched the same as my Epic SZ with only slightly higher spin.

2. Cobra F8. This driver gave me my best ball speeds in testing. This would have been my driver this year if I didn’t already have my beloved T1100 on a call trip. All things equal that swayed me to the Rogue. The combination of Evenflow and mulled face allowed me to put a longer swing than my normal one and create those higher ball speeds. The Cobra was just excellent and that even flow shaft was a gem. Again it was right there with the Rogue for me.

3. Rogue SZ. Great ball speeds for me on this one. To me this matched all the numbers of Epoc SZ. I don’t see this as an upgrade for people from last year but then SZ is a great driver and ultimately why it made my top three. Last years performance was that good from ESZ that RSZ shouldn’t be be penalized.

Honorable not mention: M4. In all my testing the longest ball was with an M4 and HZRDUS black but TD consitency wasn’t there. My fitter didn’t have a T110 with TM tip which may have given the M4 a better chance. I was surprised that twist face didn’t seem to work for me the way I thought it would. This is close to my 2016 M2 that I loved but the feeling that I could go flat out at it wasn’t there for me.

Here are numbers from the Callaway fitting. F8 numbers were close to Rogue just ball speed touched 160 but dispersion was worse. F8 I hit with evenflow 6.5 from the stock options

Even though Im a TM guy, after testing the Rogue SZ with Graphite design shaft I think I'm gonna switch. The SZ was just easy to walk up to and hit straight.

Current "Bag of Tricks"

Driver:  Callaway Maverik 10.5 "Tour Issue" Single Diamond w/Graphite Designs AD-VR5 S 

3W:  Taylormade M1 3HL w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 6 S

Utility:  Taylormade GAPR 3 Low w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 95 S tipped 1"  

Irons:  Miura CB-301 4-PW, SHIMADA S-Shafts, ELITE grips

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey  SM6 F 52/12,      SM7 F 56/14,       SM6 M 60/08 Copper Lmt. Ed.

Putter:  Scotty Tei-22 Fastback 1.5   34"  

Ball:  Titleist Pro V 1X  

G400 LST with Kuro Kage Dual Core XT or Aldila Synergy Black proto.

Combo is unreal. Ping head is ridiculously forgiving and both of those shafts cut spin enough so the Ping head becomes playable.

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

Rogue SZ with Tensei Pro Orange....

Best I've ever gamed.

Are you playing V2 or V3

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9*/Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15*/Ventus TR Blue 8x

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 21*/Ventus TR Black 8x 

Srixon ZX MKII 4/Ventus Blue 9x
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW/PX 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 Raw 50M-54M-58M/PX 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Milled 3T

Titleist ProV1

Gaming the F8+with a Tensei Pro White 60 TX.....what a combo!! I tried the F8+ today with the Graphite design MT-7X and that showed good promise too!

I've hit them all this year and the feel of the Cobra sold me. I'm slightly longer with the M4 but didn't like the feel. Rogue SZ spins too low and I didn't like the shape of the standard Rogue.....great ball speed tho!