Ric Shiels- Lumine pro am score

Londoner

I think a lot of the comments on this thread have been way out of line. It shows just how many people on here are mean-spirited sad people that they have to attack someone for playing bad at golf. Seriously, it's kinda pathetic.

I generally felt bad for the guy after watching his video addressing it. You could tell he was down and putting on a brave face. Mentioning his weight and fitness and what not. He has never claimed to be a star golfer. He tried to qualify for the Open and failed. As do most people who try. He played terrible in this event. So what?! He seems like a decent guy. A family man who has found a market where he can gain experiences he would never have dreamed of. Good for him.

The people who get joy from an innocent fella having a poor time need to get a life.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the MC idiot has been lookIng on WRX?

Check out @4golfonline’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/...3714917376?s=09

Him and Shiels have always throwing shots at eachother over twitter. Shiels threw a few shots about MC getting a Titleist sponsorship, but blocked people on Twitter for calling him out on being paid by Wilson for the next driver project show hes going to be on.

I think a lot of the comments on this thread have been way out of line. It shows just how many people on here are mean-spirited sad people that they have to attack someone for playing bad at golf. Seriously, it's kinda pathetic.

I generally felt bad for the guy after watching his video addressing it. You could tell he was down and putting on a brave face. Mentioning his weight and fitness and what not. He has never claimed to be a star golfer. He tried to qualify for the Open and failed. As do most people who try. He played terrible in this event. So what?! He seems like a decent guy. A family man who has found a market where he can gain experiences he would never have dreamed of. Good for him.

The people who get joy from an innocent fella having a poor time need to get a life.

+1000

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Except the guy makes a living as a "professional golfer". It's not like some amateur WRX member went out and teed it up in some state tournament, made a hash of things and guys are crushing him for it. No one is attacking him "for playing bad golf" people are rightly pointing out that listening to what he has to say may be looked at in a different light now.

I agree that its very uncool to take pleasure from his failure I'm just not sure I'm seeing much of that. That just sounds like defense mechanism for fans of his to fire back at anyone who dare point out 41 over for 3 rounds is hot garbage. FORTY ONE over par fellas. That doesn't even demonstrate a basic level of competence for someone claiming to be a "professional" who puts food on the table by convincing the youtube generation he knows what the hell he's talking about.

I don't watch his videos, i don't follow his twatter, I don't have a horse in this race at all. And reading this from that neutral perspective I gotta say the apologists are as bad as anyone taking a few jabs at him here.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Except the guy makes a living as a "professional golfer". It's not like some amateur WRX member went out and teed it up in some state tournament, made a hash of things and guys are crushing him for it. No one is attacking him "for playing bad golf" people are rightly pointing out that listening to what he has to say may be looked at in a different light now.

I agree that its very uncool to take pleasure from his failure I'm just not sure I'm seeing much of that. That just sounds like defense mechanism for fans of his to fire back at anyone who dare point out 41 over for 3 rounds is hot garbage. FORTY ONE over par fellas. That doesn't even demonstrate a basic level of competence for someone claiming to be a "professional" who puts food on the table by convincing the youtube generation he knows what the hell he's talking about.

I don't watch his videos, i don't follow his twatter, I don't have a horse in this race at all. And reading this from that neutral perspective I gotta say the apologists are as bad as anyone taking a few jabs at him here.

Golf Professional =/= professional golfer

I really don't think you comprehend that.

Yeah the problem with my critique of his 41 over is this nuanced distinction. Practically speaking, it's a distinction without a difference anyway. It would carry a little more weight if my expectation was that he go out there and shoot 68 everyday. When in reality, i just think as a professional golfer golf professional who depends on having some semblance of credibility he should shoot something to make me think he can find the middle of the face more often than not.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Yeah the problem with my critique of his 41 over is this nuanced distinction. Practically speaking, it's a distinction without a difference anyway. It would carry a little more weight if my expectation was that he go out there and shoot 68 everyday. When in reality, i just think as a professional golfer golf professional who depends on having some semblance of credibility he should shoot something to make me think he can find the middle of the face more often than not.

Let me ask you this: what does it take to be a golf professional? And what does it take to be a professional golfer? If you honestly don’t think there is a difference between the two, I don’t think there is any helping to explain it.

Take the Top 100 list of instructors and put them in a professional tournament. I’d be willing to bet good money that less than 5% of them even sniff close to even par ONE day, let alone a 3 day outing.

Being a tour level instructor doesn’t mean you’re a tour caliber player. And pounding balls on a launch monitor daily doesn’t translate to low scores on the course.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Let me ask you this: what does it take to be a golf professional? And what does it take to be a professional golfer? If you honestly don't think there is a difference between the two, I don't think there is any helping to explain it.

Take the Top 100 list of instructors and put them in a professional tournament. I'd be willing to bet good money that less than 5% of them even sniff close to even par ONE day, let alone a 3 day outing.

Being a tour level instructor doesn't mean you're a tour caliber player. And pounding balls on a launch monitor daily doesn't translate to low scores on the course.

I didn't say there wasn't a difference, I said in this example, it doesn't really matter what you call him, (or what he calls himself) because what he shot is an embarrassment for a professional golfer, a golf professional, or a cart boy IF the main source of their income comes from convincing people on the interweb they know what they are doing.

Ok so 5% of the top 100 teaching pros don't shoot par. What % of those same guys average +13 per day?

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

95% of them don’t shoot par (or close to it) and of that 95%, more than 1/2 probably put up numbers like Shiels did. Does that make them terrible golfers all of a sudden? You’re correlating coaching to playing. Can the hitting coach for the Yankees bat .300 and hit 30+ home runs in a season? Or can the head coach of the Cavs avg. 20pts a game? It’s kind of like the whole a mechanics car is never fixed. Doesn’t make them a bad mechanic.

He makes his living off of knowing golf and helping golfers with their swings. He isn’t claiming to be a tour player and him playing in this tournament, if anything, gives him a big slice of humble pie and let’s him know what he needs to do if he does want to play competitive golf. Look at Finch. He is legitimately serious about playing golf with his Quest for the Open stuff and it shows. He doesn’t do nearly the online content that Shiels does and is more focused on his playing. And his scores reflected that.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Do you guys want to tell him?

Well then it’s a misrepresentation on his part. Or perhaps the brits don’t have a distinction between golf pro and pro golfer. Dunno and frankly don’t care too much to continue arguing over it. Either way, a lot of people on this thread were being real D Bags about the whole thing. Present company excluded.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

71 guys made the cut at the 2017 PGA professional championship and the guy in DFL was +14 for the whole week. That was played at sunriver resort in oregon on 2 courses. The crosswater course played at 7500 and the Meadows course played 6900. So I'm skeptical that 50 of the top 100 would struggle to break 90 on consecutive days.

But whatever. The bottom line is if you like his videos and get something out of them, that's great. But stop acting like guys who are critical of or merely surprised by his scores are evil doers reveling in another mans pain.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Well said.

71 guys made the cut at the 2017 PGA professional championship and the guy in DFL was +14 for the whole week. That was played at sunriver resort in oregon on 2 courses. The crosswater course played at 7500 and the Meadows course played 6900. So I'm skeptical that 50 of the top 100 would struggle to break 90 on consecutive days.

But whatever. The bottom line is if you like his videos and get something out of them, that's great. But stop acting like guys who are critical of or merely surprised by his scores are evil doers reveling in another mans pain.

How many of those 71 players are in the top 100 instructors? No one is saying that PGA professionals are lousy players. What we are saying though is that there is usually a reason why they are head pros and instructors and not cashing checks on tour.

Look, I’m not a RS fan boy or an apologist or making excuses for his poor play. I enjoy his videos because they give me something to watch at work at night. I just find it funny that the majority of people here saying he’s a 7 or mid HC or whatever probably don’t have the game to back it up and would most likely post similar, if not worse, scores had the shoe been on the other foot.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

How many of those 71 players are in the top 100 instructors? No one is saying that PGA professionals are lousy players. What we are saying though is that there is usually a reason why they are head pros and instructors and not cashing checks on tour.

Who has said they think shiels should be scoring like tour pros? Again, no one is critical of him for failing to shoot in the low to mid 70's here. I mean 88 88 79. Those scores would make ME unhappy.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Do you guys want to tell him?

Well then it’s a misrepresentation on his part. Or perhaps the brits don’t have a distinction between golf pro and pro golfer. Dunno and frankly don’t care too much to continue arguing over it. Either way, a lot of people on this thread were being real D Bags about the whole thing. Present company excluded.

We do, club professional (teaching pro) playing professional (touring pro)

The trouble is once you put yourself out there you have to accept that there will be criticism at some point.

As a golfer i genuinely feel for him as its horrible to play badly. But if you are pitching yourself as any type of player you need to back it up.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Who has said they think shiels should be scoring like tour pros? Again, no one is critical of him for failing to shoot in the low to mid 70's here. I mean 88 88 79. Those scores would make ME unhappy.

Well you actually were the one kind of saying that. Not the exact words but you said it’s an embarrassment to shoot those scores if your source of income comes from convincing people you know what you are doing. Isn’t that in a way implying that he should be shooting par or better if he’s trying to teach people?

I agree though in terms of the scores. I’m a 5 and those scores would damn near make me reconsider ever playing again. Unfortunately we are seeing one side of this coin. There could be a myriad of reasons as to why he shot those god awful scores but in the end he’s the one that has to live with them. If he ends up hanging up the bag and sticks solely to lessons and doing fun rounds for views, more power to him. I would like to see him turn it around and post some solid scores to show that he does actually have the game that some of us think he does.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

It is embarrassing to shoot those scores as a golf professional and I'm sure Rick is suitably embarrassed. He'll shoot better in the future and he has done in the past. The thing is you need to play regular competitive golf or you are probably, as a teaching professional, going to shoot some scores your not proud of if you only compete every once in a while.

Whatever works.

Does anyone really think that on any given day he couldn't shoot low/mid 70's on most courses in benign competition conditions?! So, although he isn't the most consistent player in the world, he is no hacker and would certainly be a low single figure at worst. Handicap is potential score remember, not score on a bad day, or even average score.

First competitive round in 6 months, pressure given he built up the event...he choked, simple as. Doesn't mean he can't play, it means he maybe doesn't have the 6 inches between the ears to play his best when it matters. It happens.

I guess there is a divide here between people who think anyone who is a better player than you probably has something worthwhile to teach you about the game versus those of us who figure there are thousands of skilled, qualified golf teachers in the world so why not go to them.

If I paid money for a lesson from a professional golf instructor and when I got there he could not hit three shots in a row without hooking one off the planet and he could not demonstrate a consistently effective putting stroke, I would feel like he took my money under false pretenses. That’s what mystifies me about the appeal of guys like Rick Shiels. I just don’t see the basics of highly skilled golf there.

As for shooting a million in this tournament, that’s not really surprising if he was there on vacation with his family and paying more attention to videoing his experience that actually playing. It begs the question of why you would want to waste a tournament like that and how your playing partners would feel about it but the outcome is attributable as much to being distracted than anything else IMO.

It’s a brave new world, this social media thing. You don’t need to be much of a golfer to play the “golf instructor” for 100,000 people on YouTube. And you don’t need to know much about equipment or able to hit consistent shots to be accepted as a YouTube “golf club reviewer” either.

In Rick's last "full" season (2016) of 12 rounds of professional tournament golf he averaged 72. No mulligans, no gimmies, 7,000 yard setups, no asking your partner "what club did you hit?", no touching your ball until it's on the green, etc.

I guarantee you that the "zero caps" on this forum would not have averaged 72 over 12 rounds of pro tournament golf. Just sayin...

In my book 12 rounds of tournament golf averaging 72 is certainly more than good enough for a teaching professional.

In Rick's last "full" season (2016) of 12 rounds of professional tournament golf he averaged 72. No mulligans, no gimmies, 7,000 yard setups, no asking your partner "what club did you hit?", no touching your ball until it's on the green, etc.

I guarantee you that the "zero caps" on this forum would not have averaged 72 over 12 rounds of pro tournament golf. Just sayin...

In my book 12 rounds of tournament golf averaging 72 is certainly more than good enough for a teaching professional.

Don't be confusing people with actual scores and good performances.

Now, those were the equivalent of what we call regional sectional PGA events so compared with the pool of pros he is part of his results were overall pretty good for a season of actually playing tournaments, which appears to be the only season he played a lot of them. Year before he had some decent results, but inconsistent. Not a touring golf professional but a golf professional, hold him and them to whatever standard you want, I guess, but a lot of overreaching with no facts in this thread.

Last year he sucked, working on swing change, and the whole Quest seemed more of an afterthought compared with the year before and I think WD'd the few events he played in. But, those are the results.

Don't know enough about the courses and conditions to opine on anyone else's scores, but I'm sure there are some legit scratch golfers on here who could keep up with him, just need to be a 4 to get your card over there as I understand it and as he and others freely acknowledge. Not like that's a secret, and we all know PGA professionals who are much better players than he is and we all know PGA professionals who are not nearly as good as he is and I'm not sure that really advances any argument either way - everyone has their ceiling as far as their combination of talent and how hard they work at their game and some people who have more talent and work harder get into tournaments and get beat by people with less talent who don't work hard because they are ------- tournaments, at whatever level. Not saying he fits into either mold, just saying what is obvious about adding a little pressure to the mix for anyone.

Does anyone really think that on any given day he couldn't shoot low/mid 70's on most courses in benign competition conditions?! So, although he isn't the most consistent player in the world, he is no hacker and would certainly be a low single figure at worst. Handicap is potential score remember, not score on a bad day, or even average score.

First competitive round in 6 months, pressure given he built up the event...he choked, simple as. Doesn't mean he can't play, it means he maybe doesn't have the 6 inches between the ears to play his best when it matters. It happens.

Go and watch all of Rick’s vlogs. He has to be firing on all cyclinders to finish even or 1 to 2 under. Most of the time, he’s in the mid to high 70’s. And he almost never plays the tips. How often do we see him playing 490 yard par 5’s?

I do believe Rick should be a better player. Problem is, he’s wild with the driver, poor with the short game, and inconsistent with wedges and irons. How could he expect to score well in a tournament with those issues? Ironically, he was getting better when he saw and listened to Dan, a great coach. His driver was miles better, and irons and wedges vastly improved. Now Rick has drifted back to his old swing, with a lot of arm lift and separation between arms and body. This, for Rick, is why he struggles with consistency.

Rick’s not a great professional golfer right now, so to those of you saying put your money where your mouth is, I’d love to play Rick for money. He just finished last by miles in a pro tourney! As a professional myself, I’d certainly hope I can compete with a guy who finished last, barely breaking 90 two days in a row.

Rick has been a good player years ago, but he isn’t right now. You loyal viewers shouldn’t have been surprised by these results. He has played garbage golf in his vlogs lately. Rick needs to either grind hard on his game, go back to Dan and commit to better golf, or pull a Crossfield and only play recreationally.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

He hits the middle of the club face perfectly fine. It's not his ball striking that's the problem. It's his distance control with wedges, and his putting that made him shoot +41.

I doubt any of the other competitor were shooting videos during the tournament. He was there to make a video, not shoot a score. Hopefully he did not truly think he would be able to play decent golf at the same time as "creating content".

Social media seems to be how he earns a significant portion of his income. As long as someone will click to watch a "professional golfer" play bogey golf then that's his base of support right there. I don't begrudge anyone doing what it takes to put food on the table, just marveling that anyone is interesting in viewing this particular train wreck...