M3 vs Rogue SZ Fairway

rchera3

I’ve tested both of these fairways and love both of them. However, the M3 looked and felt a little better to me. I also had better numbers with the M3. Has anyone else tested both of these fairways side by side? What do you prefer and why?

TaylorMade SIM 9* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5
TaylorMade M6 14* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black HY 90 6.5
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4&5 KBS Tour C-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 6-PW KBS Tour C-Taper S
Mizuno T20 Raw 50-07, 54-08, 58-08 TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade TP Black Cooper Ardmore 3L
TaylorMadeTP5x

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else?

TaylorMadeTP5x

Does anyone have any comparisons between these two fairways?

TaylorMadeTP5x

I have the epic sz fairway. 1st day I put the m3 hl tensei vs the epic sz fairway rogue @17* weight forward and the m3 was so much better. I thought the sz was gone. Then I put the weight back in the sz a d it was so much better. Now I'm still up in the air.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Im considering the same two but also considering the Exotics CBX 4 wood. I hit the 3 wood with Hzrds Black 75 and it was a beast but want a little higher launch Curious on other thoughts of all three. I hit the rogue std and sz but the shafts were not right so I didn't care for either. Going to hit the m3 tomorrow. TM offers a shaft I would love to put in the m3 if numbers are good. I gamed the m2 tour 3hl last year and regret selling it.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

Im considering the same two but also considering the Exotics CBX 4 wood. I hit the 3 wood with Hzrds Black 75 and it was a beast but want a little higher launch Curious on other thoughts of all three. I hit the rogue std and sz but the shafts were not right so I didn't care for either. Going to hit the m3 tomorrow. TM offers a shaft I would love to put in the m3 if numbers are good. I gamed the m2 tour 3hl last year and regret selling it.

I hit the CBX and although its low spin like they advertise, it reminds me of my TM M2 tour fairway...just not a lot of forgiveness. I didn't have trouble launching it, but shots hit thin did stay lower then the rogue sz. I have not hit the M3 or M4 fairway woods yet. I sold my 2016 M2 fairway wood, which I think now was better then the 2017 M2 tour in my opinion. I hit the rogue and rogue SZ and ended up ordering the rogue sz. It launches plenty easy and is way more forgiving. After the last several years with TM fairway woods, I'm moving on. I can't see the M3 and M4 being that much better then the 2016 M2 or the 2017 M2 tour.

I hit the CBX and although its low spin like they advertise, it reminds me of my TM M2 tour fairway...just not a lot of forgiveness. I didn't have trouble launching it, but shots hit thin did stay lower then the rogue sz. I have not hit the M3 or M4 fairway woods yet. I sold my 2016 M2 fairway wood, which I think now was better then the 2017 M2 tour in my opinion. I hit the rogue and rogue SZ and ended up ordering the rogue sz. It launches plenty easy and is way more forgiving. After the last several years with TM fairway woods, I'm moving on. I can't see the M3 and M4 being that much better then the 2016 M2 or the 2017 M2 tour.

I will report back tomorrow on the M3 fairway if rep has them. Your first sentence is probably why I like it..:) I hit both rogue SZ fairway wood shafts and hated both shafts so I couldn't properly get a feel for them. I prefer Tensei Pro White 70 in my woods rather than CB or soft tipped shafts.

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

I will report back tomorrow on the M3 fairway if rep has them. Your first sentence is probably why I like it.. :) I hit both rogue SZ fairway wood shafts and hated both shafts so I couldn't properly get a feel for them. I prefer Tensei Pro White 70 in my woods rather than CB or soft tipped shafts.

The shaft can make a big difference. I hardly ever order a club with the stock shaft. Plus, I'm not a fan of 60 or low 70 gram shafts in my three wood. Anxious to hear about the M3, I'm sure its a great club. I'm not a big fan of moving weights at the bottom of fairway woods (its alright for a driver). I'm really hoping the rogue sz will be quite low spin, but still forgiving. I hit it off a mat with no issues so tee shots shouldn't be any problem.

I use 3-woods off the tee a lot, so I need to have that option. That was part of what interested me in the M2 tour with the deeper face.

Here is a review between the two fairways. His testing showing the Rouge SZ performing better than M3.

TaylorMadeTP5x

Here is a review between the two fairways. His testing showing the Rouge SZ performing better than M3.

Doesn't surprise me. The M3 is definitely smaller in shape (M2 tour size). The M4 is just a little too big size wise for me, while I'm not going the tour fairway route again, just too big of a loss in forgiveness. I think the M3 fits right in between the M4 and M4 tour. I'm waiting for my rogue sz to show up.

I hit m3 and m4 tour. They spin too much. Couldn’t compete with sz. I did hit a cbx. The ball speeds were definitely faster. Ordered a exotics CBX 16.5 with hzrdus black 75

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

I have an m3 3 wood with tour ad iz7 shaft and one range session in am pretty impressed. I played the m2 tour from last year which when pured was unbelievable but very punishing. I find the m3 gives good height with a respectable amount of spin. It’s not as low spinning as the m2 tour by any means but I’ve learned to use the 3 wood as a control club not a mini driver. I think the stock shafts in the m3 and m4 that are found in the fitting carts do the heads a bit of a disservice. I love the feel so far. Time will tell once the weather gets better. The subzero looks great at address as well but haven’t been able to hit. I thought the sz was bigger but when you set them side by side they look similar, the two tone paint on the m series makes them look smaller.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

One huge difference important to me, especially off the deck, is lie angle. The Callaway SZ has a 55 degree lie, while the M3 is 58.5 and the M4 Tour is 59 - Big difference!

It’s not what you assume it is. TM measures lie differently this year, check the other thread, but it’s flatter than you think.

I've hit way too many FW's already this year.

Epic 3 wood still won out, which was already my gamer. Rogue SZ, M4 Tour, and CBX were all honorable mentions. Epic is super easy to hit and a nice flight, with the right shaft. M4 Tour was a LM beast but didn't pan out on the driving range or course. M3...same as the M4 Tour. CBX...AWESOME, but I don't really need two drivers. CBX is crazy easy to hit and super long...great, great club, but again, too long. At 16.5*, it might be perfect, but no demo with a good shaft for me to try right now.

Rogue SZ was shorter than my Epic 3 wood, but I also can't compare it apples to apples with the same shaft (hit the Rogue SZ FW with the Evenflow Blue 70 6.0 and 6.5 and then also the HZRDUS 85). Epic SZ actually launches higher and spins more even with the heavy weight forward so regular Epic was superior for me.

I've been ho'ing 3 woods for too long, especially since I don't use it more than 2x a round, but I'm always in the hunt for the perfect 3 wood regardless...so far Epic is the best for me. Rogue might be just as good, if not better, but they only stock it with light weight shafts, and I'm willing to bet next year we'll have jailbreak FW's with adjustable shafts.

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

I have an m3 3 wood with tour ad iz7 shaft and one range session in am pretty impressed. I played the m2 tour from last year which when pured was unbelievable but very punishing. I find the m3 gives good height with a respectable amount of spin. It's not as low spinning as the m2 tour by any means but I've learned to use the 3 wood as a control club not a mini driver. I think the stock shafts in the m3 and m4 that are found in the fitting carts do the heads a bit of a disservice. I love the feel so far. Time will tell once the weather gets better. The subzero looks great at address as well but haven't been able to hit. I thought the sz was bigger but when you set them side by side they look similar, the two tone paint on the m series makes them look smaller.

Yup, said it before, but M2 tour seems great when you "pure one", but the slight mishits add up and over time you realize this club is not forgiving at all. I liked the deep face and small profile, but it isn't for me. And I didn't find it that much more low spin then the regular M2 to give up the forgiveness, so I'm moving on.

I've hit way too many FW's already this year.

Epic 3 wood still won out, which was already my gamer. Rogue SZ, M4 Tour, and CBX were all honorable mentions. Epic is super easy to hit and a nice flight, with the right shaft. M4 Tour was a LM beast but didn't pan out on the driving range or course. M3...same as the M4 Tour. CBX...AWESOME, but I don't really need two drivers. CBX is crazy easy to hit and super long...great, great club, but again, too long. At 16.5*, it might be perfect, but no demo with a good shaft for me to try right now.

Rogue SZ was shorter than my Epic 3 wood, but I also can't compare it apples to apples with the same shaft (hit the Rogue SZ FW with the Evenflow Blue 70 6.0 and 6.5 and then also the HZRDUS 85). Epic SZ actually launches higher and spins more even with the heavy weight forward so regular Epic was superior for me.

I've been ho'ing 3 woods for too long, especially since I don't use it more than 2x a round, but I'm always in the hunt for the perfect 3 wood regardless...so far Epic is the best for me. Rogue might be just as good, if not better, but they only stock it with light weight shafts, and I'm willing to bet next year we'll have jailbreak FW's with adjustable shafts.

The cbx 4 wood is special.

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

Although i like the Rogue SZ over the m3 the test this guy did was useless. He swung the Rogue SZ 6mph faster which is all him not the clubs. In my testing the Rogue SZ was like 5yds longer in carry and more forgiving but it really comes down to what you want to look down at. Rogue SZ just has a more pleasing shape to me.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

One huge difference important to me, especially off the deck, is lie angle. The Callaway SZ has a 55 degree lie, while the M3 is 58.5 and the M4 Tour is 59 - Big difference!

+1. TM fairways are too upright. Can’t play them unless I want to tour the left rough all day.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

It's not what you assume it is. TM measures lie differently this year, check the other thread, but it's flatter than you think.

No matter how it is measured, last year's M2 Tour was 2 degrees flatter than the M2. This year's M4 Tour is only 1 degree flatter. I am never the tallest guy in the room, and am very sensitive to the heel strike, and resulting left direction, promoted by upright lies on fairways metals.

Purchased the Rogue SZ after hitting it great off the deck, seemed easier than my current M2 Tour.

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

Purchased the Rogue SZ after hitting it great off the deck, seemed easier than my current M2 Tour.

Did I plant a seed? Haha.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

Although i like the Rogue SZ over the m3 the test this guy did was useless. He swung the Rogue SZ 6mph faster which is all him not the clubs. In my testing the Rogue SZ was like 5yds longer in carry and more forgiving but it really comes down to what you want to look down at. Rogue SZ just has a more pleasing shape to me.

I agree, I hit The rogue SZ, M3, M4 and M4 tour at GG and while I never put too much into the indoor monitors and fittings, I was hitting the rogue SZ 15 yards longer than any of the TMs and I am a big TM guy. The rogue sits much better and I thought the feel was much better and more "solid". I almost walked out of there with a stock one which I never do. A purchase may be in my future after more testing.

Did I plant a seed? Haha.

Total impulse purchase. M3 is on the way as well, hah

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

Any more comparisons with these two fairways? Which one is more forgiving?

TaylorMadeTP5x

• 4 weeks later...

Tried the M3 and M4. Hated both. Went with Rogue SZ with an AD-DI 7. Very pleased with my choice.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

• 3 weeks later...

Tried both and ended up going with the SZ in 15 degrees - much better feel and workability, at least for me. Last year, I used the M1 fairway in Kuro Kage TiNi 70X, but was actually hitting it a bit too far (almost as far as the driver) and would occasionally hit the hard low hook. So, I went to the SZ and am finding I have more control, and am hitting it the distance I needed. Good on those fronts.

The challenge with the SZ, though, is the launch angle is higher than I'd like, sometimes much higher. I'm using the HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 in 83 gram but I still feel like I have trouble keeping it down. If the club were adjustable, I'd probably dial it down to around 14* (as that would still keep me at an acceptable distance), but it's not adjustable as we know.

Any thoughts on how I can reduce launch angle without going to a different shaft? Currently, the only way I can consistently keep it down is to play the ball in the middle of my stance (as opposed to off the left heel), but that brings a bit of inconsistency in terms of left/right. Would a heavier weight help? My concern there is increasing the weight of the head too much and making the problem worse.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.