Who plays a 64 degree wedge?

stryper

My 64 Callaway PM wedge is my favorite club in the bag!

[b]9.5 Ping G20 Pink Bubba Edition[/color][/b]
[b]13.0 Tour Edge Exotic [/b][/font][b]E8[/b]
[b]16.5 Tour Edge [/b][/font][color=#333333]XCG-3 (Ain't nothing kicking this one out)[/color]
[[b]21Tour Edge CB PRO U HYBRID LE[/b]
[b]25 Tour Edge Exotic E9-Recoil F4 [/b][b]Shaft [/b]
[b]PXG 6-PW with Nippon 950's[/b]
[b]50 Ben Hogan TK[/b]
[b]54-Vokey SM5 M Grind Indigo-S400 Black Onyx Shaft[/b]
[b]58-Vokey SMS K [/b][/font][b]Grind Indigo-S400 Black Onyx Shaft[/b]
[b]64-Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind-[/b][b]S400 Black Onyx Shaft[/b]
[b]Scotty Cameron 1.5 Select Tour COA# A30182[/b][/font][/size]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anytime these threads come up (or the "do you use a 60" threads too) people always say they can do the same stuff with a lesser lofted club that they could do with a 60 or 64. But really, you can't. Sure you can open up the face of a 60 and make it play like 64, but you can open up a 64 and make it play like 68. You can't do that with a 60.

IMO you really need to be confident with your other 13 clubs to play one. Sometimes having one is incredibly useful, if you play on crazy fast greens or have hard sand deep bunkers surrounding a lot of greens. I've hit shots with a 64 i absolutely would have had no chance to hit with anything else. But these come up maybe once every 3-4 rounds. It's just not worth it unless you short side yourself a lot, or play on heavily bunkered courses with tiny quick greens etc...

currently i don't use one....and i actually like the 64 wedge a lot. Just don't really need it enough

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

anytime these threads come up (or the "do you use a 60" threads too) people always say they can do the same stuff with a lesser lofted club that they could do with a 60 or 64. But really, you can't. Sure you can open up the face of a 60 and make it play like 64, but you can open up a 64 and make it play like 68. You can't do that with a 60.

IMO you really need to be confident with your other 13 clubs to play one. Sometimes having one is incredibly useful, if you play on crazy fast greens or have hard sand deep bunkers surrounding a lot of greens. I've hit shots with a 64 i absolutely would have had no chance to hit with anything else. But these come up maybe once every 3-4 rounds. It's just not worth it unless you short side yourself a lot, or play on heavily bunkered courses with tiny quick greens etc...

currently i don't use one....and i actually like the 64 wedge a lot. Just don't really need it enough

I play PW, 50 and 58. I have tried 64 and have 60, but they launch way to high for me to control. For my wedge swing, 58 is optimal and I can do anything that a 60/64 can do with a 58. Short game is the strongest part of my game.

I play PW, 50 and 58. I have tried 64 and have 60, but they launch way to high for me to control. For my wedge swing, 58 is optimal and I can do anything that a 60/64 can do with a 58. Short game is the strongest part of my game.

I'm the exact opposite, I launch everything super low. I only carry a 60* but I bet a 64* for me would play the same as a 58* for you. Short game is the strongest part of my game as well.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I feel like it is a club that has plenty of uses. I play a older, shorter course with elevated and plateau greens and a 64 is very helpful! I even like it from the 80 yards and in approach shots. It is a shame that Vokey doesn't have a standard 64* offering. But lucky for me I have a brand new back up SM4!

The bigger question is, IF you value the 64*, you have to know where the other GAP will be. Depending on the course, I will rotate 1 of 3 other clubs. 3wood, Driving Iron or 3iron. I find that the concern in the 240-215 range is worth adding the 64*.

Titleist 913 D3 8.5* NV 75 X
TaylorMade 790 UDI 17* HZRDUS 6.0 (2019)
Titleist 710 MB 3-PW S400
Titleist Vokey SM4 (54, 60, 64)
TaylorMade TP DUPAGE 34in, 4*Flat
@EMechling #poundtown

I'm surprised, with the length of most of the guys on WRX, that the 64* isn't more standard issue.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

I'm surprised, with the length of most of the guys on WRX, that the 64* isn't more standard issue.

With speed, ball launches higher.

I dropped my 4 iron and 5 wood for an epic 3 hybird and 64 wedge.

I have a lot of shots 80-90 into greens, so I thought this wold be the prefect club for that yardage.

So far so good.. my only problem, which really aint one is deciding 58 or 64 around the green. The 64 really gets the ball in the air and stops quickly so if Im off on my spot then its short.

58 obviously runs out a bit more.

Other than that Im really loving it on full shots and more!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Still have the OG Mack daddy 64. Loved the club, but got into tournament golf and needed a 3iron. Recently picked up a PM 64 and the jury is still out. Need some more practice time. Could make the bag on 6500 yard courses. Need to dial in the distance though

G430 LST 9°  RDX Blue 70 TX
SIM 15° RDX Blue 70TX

Cobra King Tec 19° hybrid RDX Black 9-6.5
4-W Z-585 -Tour V 130x
Vokey SM6 50,55,60
DF 2.1 

Me too. 58* can do anything I need.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I bagged a RTX 2 64-degree wedge for about a year. The thing cost me more strokes than it saved. I just don't see the need to add this club to the bag as it's so situational. For those who struggle with distance control with wedges, then I understand the want to bag one. Around the greens, when playing the bounce of the club, the trajectory is too high. On pinch-chips, the club feels pointless because I want more roll. This is my personal preference. a 52 and 58 is all I need now.

I played one for a couple years. I'm pretty sure it's still in the bottom of the pond on hole 6 at my home course

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

• 5 months later...

I have played 52/58/64 for a number of years now.. current one is nothing fancy, just an old rusty Cali X-Tour with 9* bounce. The 64 has always been there only for emergencies when I absolutely have to hit one going straight up and down. Didn't want myself to get in the habit of chipping with it so I actually keep a cover on it.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

If the rules were changed to allow for 15 clubs, I'd put a 64 in the bag immediately afterwards. As it stands right now, however, I'm just not long enough to take the hit elsewhere in the bag. But I really like messing around with a 64.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I have a 64* in my collection of eight Cleveland CG14 wedges.

I don't use a 64*, but I strongly encourage all my opponents to use one!

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I'm going to add a 64 degree Hi Toe to the bag for when I have delicate shots around the green. There is no way I could be effective making a full swing with that much loft.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

It’s not for full swings. Just when I need to pitch over something but spin and stop. My 58* would roll for miles on a 20yd pitch. I know I can open it up, but then it never goes to target or thins.

I also use the 64* for downhill chips and short sided bunkers. The 58* gets used for ever other “normal” pitch, chip, and bunker. Then it’s straight to a PW/9i for bump/runs.

I have a Graphite Callaway 64' Sureout. I bought it to compensate for poor chipping and pitching skills. It lets me get to within 80 yards of the pin and still make a full swing. Probably goes further vertically than it does horizontally :) It's also extremely good out of bunkers which is what it's intended for. No need to open the face. Just do a full swing and be sure to hit the sand first.

It did take me a few swings to get to grips with it despite me already being proficient with a 60 degree but it's now my favourite club. It hardly ever lets me down although on soggy ground I have to be more careful to hit the ball first. It's been known to slide right underneath and leave the ball sitting on a divot in roughly the same place :)

I play a 64 and its my money club. I get about 100 yds out of it and can great workability, I honestly wouldnt want to play without it

You must play in some heat to get 100 yards out of a 64! Or you must crazy deloft at impact?

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

TM Spider GT (black head), 33'', KBS One Step (Black), SS Zenergy Tour 1.0

TP5x

If the rules were changed to allow for 15 clubs, I'd put a 64 in the bag immediately afterwards. As it stands right now, however, I'm just not long enough to take the hit elsewhere in the bag. But I really like messing around with a 64.

my thoughts exactly

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

Would be a waste of space in my bag. I can do everything with my 60* that I could with a 64*. Jmho

I agree with this and will take it one step further...I could do pretty much anything with a 56 that I could do with a 60, except I actually trust a 56 on full swings.

A 64 is such a specialized club. It just doesn't seem that it offers enough versatility to the 99% of the golfing public that aren't wizards with a wedge.