Everyone is a big hitter on the forum

Kevinx

I don't think the rarified crowd here is at all in touch with the average player.

The average player is 55 years old, and about 80pct male (so he has 20pct lady parts). The average player is thrilled to get it out past 200.

The younger players without the benefit of 30 years experience, if you added in their mishits, would average under 200 as well. If you only take their clean strikes, the average technique doesn't often leverage their superior fitness, and so they're still nowhere near big marks.

So I stand by this - 250 is Herculean unless you are a low cap or work in the golf industry.

Uh oh. 55 this summer.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the rarified crowd here is at all in touch with the average player.

The average player is 55 years old, and about 80pct male (so he has 20pct lady parts). The average player is thrilled to get it out past 200.

The younger players without the benefit of 30 years experience, if you added in their mishits, would average under 200 as well. If you only take their clean strikes, the average technique doesn't often leverage their superior fitness, and so they're still nowhere near big marks.

So I stand by this - 250 is Herculean unless you are a low cap or work in the golf industry.

Uh oh. 55 this summer.

So what 20% are you giving up? Enquiring minds want to know. LOL!

Uh oh. 55 this summer.

So what 20% are you giving up? Enquiring minds want to know. LOL!

I'm almost 55, I don't remember!

I suppose I would be considered a big hitter, though my criteria are a bit different. I am 6'5", 225 pounds, and I hit a golf ball.

And let's not forget, the funniest guy on the board.

3735.jpg

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

90-95% of golfers cant hit beyond 250 yards.

80% has a handicap between 18-36.

Usually amateurs I seen is in the range of 200 yards and very few are going longer than that and they are a low handicapper when that happens.

The state of current golf instruction isnt better than that.

It's been mentioned before but obviously it bears repeating.

This forum is comprised of far higher percentage of golfing enthusiasts than the "all/average golfers" statistics.

Of course you're going to see a larger number of guys who hit it looooooong.

I mentioned to a new acquaintance, who is a golf enthusiast and a decent player (a 12), that I'd heard (something) about (something) on WRX and he asked "Where ?". I told him of this site and how much info there is. He'd never heard of it,,,,,,,, and to my knowledge,,,,,,,,, still hasn't gotten on here.

Sheesh.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

If you're on this forum you're probably an enthusiast and not an average golfer. You've probably had multiple lessons, practice and have been fitted for clubs. The average golfer doesn't do that. I think just about anyone has the ability to hit it 280 if they are under 40, somewhat athletic, in decent shape, received lessons and implement practice on the range to make the best of those lessons. Those that only play a couple weekends a year and never practice far outnumber those that play regularly and practice. Which group do you the average wrx'er is in?

I Guess the op thinks these guys on the BST are buying and trading 80g TX shafts for looks ? You know because it’s cool to swing rebar at 85mph and roll it to the ladies box. Really?

You need to get out more. Find out where the local college teams practice. Walk and watch. Some beasts out there. Didn’t you see the Chinese kid on morning drive from Perdue I think it was. Kid had thighs that looked like tree trunks. Was at least 6ft4. And simply smoked the ball. And he’s at Perdue. Not really known as a golf Mecca school. They walk among us man. All around.

Edit. Illl give up ianother hint. What time of day do you normally play ? If is before noon. Yo I aren’t going to see this animal. He isn’t rolling out for a 8am tee time unless it’s a tournament round. You’ll find him walking from 3 pm on. Maybe alone. Maybe in a pack But not ever a dew sweeper.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I went to the Philadelphia Golf Show today and they had a launch monitor long drive contest- the top 5 distances for men 372, 354, 352, 344, 338. I was getting my usual 285-300ish distance and thinking that’s pretty good. Dude next to me had a “less than pretty” swing and was ripping ball after ball 350.

For seniors the top 3 were 325, 320, and 315.

There are a lot of people out there who can hit driver a long way.

If you're on this forum you're probably an enthusiast and not an average golfer. You've probably had multiple lessons, practice and have been fitted for clubs. The average golfer doesn't do that. I think just about anyone has the ability to hit it 280 if they are under 40, somewhat athletic, in decent shape, received lessons and implement practice on the range to make the best of those lessons. Those that only play a couple weekends a year and never practice far outnumber those that play regularly and practice. Which group do you the average wrx'er is in?

I found wrx after getting into golf a coupla-few years ago. This place is everything a golfer could hope for and more.

But playing obsessively for a few years and reading these threads hasn't made me much longer. I'm still on the wrong side of 40 and work at a desk. Add family to that, and...

And I suspect the averages as they apply to the population at large also weigh heavily on this Select population. There's a certain Calvinism to be sure, but reality must intrude bc of its own determinism.

So.. I'd stipulate to a 25pct uprate to anyone here over the average golfer stats. So 90pct can't hit over 250, 99 pct can't get over 300, the other 1pct are over 300 regularly enough.

Lensing through the virtual world of the net plus typical male braggadocio, you could understand why any mild skeptic wouldn't want to just agree that everyone here hits 300 just bc they're here...

Most of the population on here are more than likely getting the most, or near the most out of their physical capabilities. The “average golfer” is one who does not. The vast majority are older and not in the best physical shape and who periodically play golf but aren’t really golfers. No more than some dad who once a month goes down to the local Y and shoots free throws can call himself a basketball player.

Quite a few pages back I posted referring to the idea that most of the average golfers are like Phillip Seymour Hoffman making it rain in Along Came Polly.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

If you typically hit it 285-3 hundy, then you’re about 100 yards into most of your 4 pars and you can reach most par 5s. So how do you manage to be a 20 HCP? That is remarkable.

Driver-Taylormade M3 10.5-1
3-5 Woods-Taylormade M3
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20degree
Irons 4-9- Taylormade P790
Wedges 46,52,60 Vokey SM-7
Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 3
HCP 2.9

Hit 2 new new all time personal ball speed records last night. Pretty cool since I haven’t seen much improvement the past year or 2

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

If you typically hit it 285-3 hundy, then you’re about 100 yards into most of your 4 pars and you can reach most par 5s. So how do you manage to be a 20 HCP? That is remarkable.

Play regularly with a guy who can easily crank it out there 330. But he also regularly cold tops it 100 yards, hits it 100 yards offline, or chunks 3 wedges in a row.

Why is it no matter the topic most of the posters claim they hit 300 plus off the tee. I'm not saying they don't but here in the metro area of NY where their is way too many golfers I have only seen a hand full hit it 300 yards. No matter where I have played . How come on the forum everyone claims they play like a pro. I don't believe most of them

People tend to overestimate their "size" in everything... My good tee shots are about 275-280. I know a few people who hit it over 300, but they're obviously few and far between. However, the people who are spending time on a golf forum are probably a little better and longer off the tee than your average golfer.

There is a reason that I dont talk or really post about shaft flexes or distances very often. I had a couple of people talk trash about what i was saying in a thread so I just stopped talking distances or shaft flexes or anything similar.

I do agree about the fact that WRX attracts many good players and most of the time good players are pretty long. I have accidently played with two WRX members and both were long, they hit good drives over or around 300, and over 115 SS with a driver. Iron lofts are so different so saying they hit a 7 iron 190 is worthless.

Its an issue here, its why I dont post much due to the religion that tend to affect blindness on golfers.

won a long driving on fairway and the look of faces in the clubhouse when someone 30 years older did that was fun

I wished you’d post more cuz I’m usually higher than a kite and you are easily one of the 2 or 3 guys on the board that can take me from comatose to LMAO with one post?!!!

I can also relate to that blindness thing?

I hope that you had a nice New Year and a great season ahead??‍♂️

Keep the faith Bro, these guys’ll come around, it just takes a while?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I probably average less than 200 with my driver due to slices, shanks, etc. Best case, I doubt I carry more than 240. A good drive for me is probably anything over 220 and in play. That said, I play with friends that are worse than me that can definitely put it out over 300. Rarely in a good spot, but they can crush the ball with the driver.

There is a reason that I dont talk or really post about shaft flexes or distances very often. I had a couple of people talk trash about what i was saying in a thread so I just stopped talking distances or shaft flexes or anything similar.

I do agree about the fact that WRX attracts many good players and most of the time good players are pretty long. I have accidently played with two WRX members and both were long, they hit good drives over or around 300, and over 115 SS with a driver. Iron lofts are so different so saying they hit a 7 iron 190 is worthless.

Its an issue here, its why I dont post much due to the religion that tend to affect blindness on golfers.

won a long driving on fairway and the look of faces in the clubhouse when someone 30 years older did that was fun

Or because of your pretending to be a qualified golf instructor.

Hawkeye....pretty sure that wasn’t directed at me, but wanted to make sure.

Heck no!

I wished you’d post more cuz I’m usually higher than a kite and you are easily one of the 2 or 3 guys on the board that can take me from comatose to LMAO with one post?!!!

I can also relate to that blindness thing?

I hope that you had a nice New Year and a great season ahead??‍♂️

Keep the faith Bro, these guys’ll come around, it just takes a while?

Cheers?

RP

Now that RBIm has raised his fees (yes, he is serious) to $300,000 per year (no actual students, he is waiting for the big one) and claims on Twitter Lydia Ko is finally ready to give him a call, I've decided to put off that trip to Scandanavia! So I won't come around. ;-)

Hoping things are going well Richard!

Some people bomb it. Some people lie. Some people are haters bc they can't bomb it.

Is that you? Or did you make that, PRETENDING it's you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I wished youd post more cuz Im usually higher than a kite and you are easily one of the 2 or 3 guys on the board that can take me from comatose to LMAO with one post!!!

I can also relate to that blindness thing

I hope that you had a nice New Year and a great season ahead‍♂️

Keep the faith Bro, these guysll come around, it just takes a while

Cheers

RP

How the PHIZZZZZUCK are you, Richard?!?!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I went to the Philadelphia Golf Show today and they had a launch monitor long drive contest- the top 5 distances for men 372, 354, 352, 344, 338. I was getting my usual 285-300ish distance and thinking that’s pretty good. Dude next to me had a “less than pretty” swing and was ripping ball after ball 350.

For seniors the top 3 were 325, 320, and 315.

There are a lot of people out there who can hit driver a long way.

Sure they do and they can’t keep it in play on a golf course because it’s an all out swing with no real target. You’d still out score 95% of those guys hitting your 280

Some people bomb it. Some people lie. Some people are haters bc they can't bomb it.

Im guessing you catch more than a few a hair thin? If you improve your AOA youll probably get 15 more yards of carry. Good baseline if thats your controlled driver swing.

Was in trying to get AoA to + or level. And working with M1 to get my spin down. I fade the ball so those -3 and -4 AOA were creating way too much spin, as you can see. But smash factors were acceptable, not all 1.50+ but pretty flush. Working on it.