"non-golf" Golf Shoes

AZstu324

I realize that this question/topic may completely go against golf purist protocol and I could very well have an angry mob looking to hang me at sunset.. but conformity was never one of my stronger qualities so here goes..

Does anybody use any other shoes for golfing rather than "golf designated" shoes? A few years ago I bought a pair of Adidas Adicross V spikeless shoes. Up until then it was always the normal soft-spikes. When I started using them I was absolutely blown away with the comfort, stability, and versatility and swore to never go back to regular golf shoes. They were so comfy and good looking that I also wore them as everyday shoes from time to time.. Still have them and wear them on occasion.

Well after breaking down the physical functionalities of the shoe, I realized that they really are just running/tennis shoes with an aggressive turf-stable sole and good foot support. Since then, I've ventured further down that rabbit hole and have stumbled onto "trail running" shoes. There are even just regular running shoes with some very turf-stable patterns that I truly feel are just as supportive as spikeless or regular golf shoes but far more comfortable. If you're into walking, I'd HIGHLY suggest giving a shoe like this a go.. They'll save your feet.

Anyway, here are some that I've found to be fantastic and because of the low prices ($40-$50), I can buy 3-4 pair and rotate them for the price of 1 pair of actual golf shoes.

These are what I mainly wear. The soles are a little softer but with gum rubber and the pegged pattern, I've had absolutely 0 slippage in various conditions. They are extremely breathable and will soak through if wet but I play year round in AZ and we rarely have water issues.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2958378/new-balance-fresh-foam-arishi-mens-running-shoes.jsp?prdPV=1

These are regular running shoes but the soles are almost a mix of plastic and rubber and have a very grippy pattern. Very firm and fantastic grip. Breathable and mostly weatherproof. These are my alternatives when I'm not wearing the above shoes.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2974715/adidas-energy-cloud-ripstop-mens-running-shoes.jsp?prdPV=13

These are excellent for colder/wetter weather as they are waterproof. I have the blue pair. Not the most breathable but super comfortable.

https://www.zappos.com/p/adidas-running-vigor-bounce/product/8735875

These are on their way. I love my NB's so much that I figured why not get another pair. These ave an even more aggressive Pegged pattern so I don't think I can go wrong (Yes I shop frequently at Khols).

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2897323/new-balance-620-v2-mens-trail-running-shoes.jsp?color=Dark%20Green&prdPV=19

Here are my beloved Adicros V's that I still love and wear.

https://www.amazon.com/Adidas-Adicross-Lightweight-Resistant-Spikeless/dp/B01BARI4BS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518713396&sr=8-3&keywords=adicross%2BV&th=1

Anybody else?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...I like dry feet

So ONLY golf shoes are capable of keeping water out?

Only shoe I would wear is the last link you listed. From my experience yes...your feet will be wet on some days in Ohio.

I would wear Reebok Crossfit..but why? Why would anyone wear running shoes? No lateral support.

Whatever floats your boat

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Very often in afternoon rounds I'll just wear my normal running style shoes to play in. I prefer the comfort of them overall.

I need my golf shoes in the morning though. I'm a dew walker and here it's a constant. It's not uncommon at all for me to have soaked feet from just a seem in my waterproof shoes starting to leak. Once they do they're useless to me. Plus those same wet conditions require me to need at least soft spikes to keep from slipping, especially on the tee box.

If I only played in warm dry conditions I'd probably wear almost any of the shoes you listed as long as they fit ok. My biggest issue is that I wear a size 13 with probably the flattest feet anyone's ever seen.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

Very often in afternoon rounds I'll just wear my normal running style shoes to play in. I prefer the comfort of them overall.

I need my golf shoes in the morning though. I'm a dew walker and here it's a constant. It's not uncommon at all for me to have soaked feet from just a seem in my waterproof shoes starting to leak. Once they do they're useless to me. Plus those same wet conditions require me to need at least soft spikes to keep from slipping, especially on the tee box.

If I only played in warm dry conditions I'd probably wear almost any of the shoes you listed as long as they fit ok. My biggest issue is that I wear a size 13 with probably the flattest feet anyone's ever seen.

I lived in Monterey, CA for a couple years.. a couple years ago and that's where I started using the Adidas spikeless. It was always wet there. Whether it was dew, rain, or marine clouds, there was always some kind of moisture to deal with. I never remember having leakage or traction issues. Those shoes were the true happy-medium between comfort and overall functionality.

I have in the past used a pair of Ecco low-top hiking shoes with Goretex and lug soles and have also played at times in various running shoes.

Hard to find waterproof non-golf shoes with good, stable foot support and decent traction that are cheaper than golf shoes purchased at clearance sale prices. So I can't say I've used anything but golf shoes the past several years, some with spikes, some without. Whatever I can find that are comfortable and affordable.

The key is to make sure you have support for your ankles. I have found though that I tend to sway a little in my running shoes versus golf shoes. Probably due to a different type of support system.

To note: Allen Edmonds will take any used pair of their brand dress shoes, replace the soles with weather resistant leather and add soft spikes. If you have an older set lying around that might be a fun exercise.

Taylormade SIM
Titleist TS2 15
Titleist 818 H1 19
Mizuno HM Pro 5-AW
Callaway PM 54 and 58
Odyssey #1

The Lunar Control Vapors are as comfortable and any sneaker and are waterproof. The traction is great. I was worried coming from more aggressive soft spikes

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

New Balance 3000v3. Incredibly comfortable baseball turf shoe with great lateral support. Excellent for walking.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I have in the past used a pair of Ecco low-top hiking shoes with Goretex and lug soles and have also played at times in various running shoes.

Hard to find waterproof non-golf shoes with good, stable foot support and decent traction that are cheaper than golf shoes purchased at clearance sale prices. So I can't say I've used anything but golf shoes the past several years, some with spikes, some without. Whatever I can find that are comfortable and affordable.

This

The key is to make sure you have support for your ankles. I have found though that I tend to sway a little in my running shoes versus golf shoes. Probably due to a different type of support system.

To note: Allen Edmonds will take any used pair of their brand dress shoes, replace the soles with weather resistant leather and add soft spikes. If you have an older set lying around that might be a fun exercise.

I have 6 pair of Allen Edmonds... I can't imagine walking 18 in a pair. They're ok on the street but not much support there.

I lived in Monterey, CA for a couple years.. a couple years ago and that's where I started using the Adidas spikeless. It was always wet there. Whether it was dew, rain, or marine clouds, there was always some kind of moisture to deal with. I never remember having leakage or traction issues. Those shoes were the true happy-medium between comfort and overall functionality.

Well if you never had any leakage or traction issues with yours then I must be imagining it.

I play 2 to 3 times a week during the season. Any waterproof shoe generally lasts me about one good season before they start to leak at the seem between the sole and my non-existent arch. I've also had my back foot slide out when I load into it on my backswing for a big drive.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

I don't ever have to worry about wet feet. It rains like once a month here in Denver, and I'm a twilight golfer only.

Technically they are golf specific shoes, but I just got a pair of the Nike Rosche G's. First time I've ever golfed in non-spiked shoes.

I'm also real real interested in the Vans line of shoes that have the little traction nubs on the sole.

No...I like dry feet

So ONLY golf shoes are capable of keeping water out?

Only shoe I would wear is the last link you listed. From my experience yes...your feet will be wet on some days in Ohio.

I would wear Reebok Crossfit..but why? Why would anyone wear running shoes? No lateral support.

Whatever floats your boat

there are days in ohio where no matter the shoes your feet will be wet. mostly happens on the days the round starts off sunny and clear.

New balance trail minimus.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-MT10V1-Minimus-Running/dp/B01FSDDM94/ref=sr_1_28?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1518965027&sr=1-28&nodeID=679255011&psd=1&keywords=new%2Bbalance%2Bmen&th=1

They have great traction. Very durable. They get wet but..... they dry out in an hour (no joke). Like walking barefoot.

I've been thinking about acquiring some of these for wearing to the range or to practice in:

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/turf-3000v3/T3000-V3.html?dwvar_T3000-V3_color=Red_with_White#color=Grey_with_White

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

I've been thinking about acquiring some of these for wearing to the range or to practice in:

http://www.newbalanc...Grey_with_White

I love NB shoes. I've got a pair of these on the way for my next golfers. I figure I can't go wrong with that sole pattern: https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Cushioning-620v2-Running/dp/B01N66HWZ4?th=1 you better watch out or you might switch to non-golf golf shoes permanently like me :]

new balance baseball turf shoes are a good option. Basically any baseball turf shoe would be good, many have some weather resistance too.

Exactly--that's why I thought they'd be a good option. A little stouter than their running shows with a good pattern on the sole. I probably wouldn't use them in place of my Dry Joy Tours for regular use (I've got PF, like to walk, and need the support), but they'd make a good practice option.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey