Epon AF-Tour Blade Copper Finish!

bjp1

I'm an Epon fan. Although they will not start the season in my bag, my AF-301's will never be sold. Just damn good clubs. Still strongly considering adding the AF-Tour's at some point this year, but have been interested to see early pics of the same custom options that are offered in the cavity back lines, i.e. sole engraving and custom finishes. I've seen the brushed satin finish, which is really nice (and my preference). But I found these pictures of the copper finish which I thought folks my enjoy seeing.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice.... think they should be looking at a black chrome look aswell - to match a black nickel KBS shaft (and hopefully have the same durability as a 'regular' chrome finish)

My flat black 301's rusted too easily here in Asia, so had them refinished in the copper look.... here's the 301's to compare

:D

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

Coops

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

nice.... think they should be looking at a black chrome look aswell - to match a black nickel KBS shaft (and hopefully have the same durability as a 'regular' chrome finish)

My flat black 301's rusted too easily here in Asia, so had them refinished in the copper look.... here's the 301's to compare

:D

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

Coops

Coops, where did you have that done and can you post a link to a website??

As you can see from the above pics - it's a 'standard' option finish on the wedges...

I'm not sure how it's done - but i got the 52 wedge in copper aswell, some time ago.... and no, none have rusted..

as for durability - i've just left home for 12 days or so, so can't post pics of the wear - i've been going to a pro and changing the swing a fair bit, so have been hitting the 7 iron in particular an awful lot, and on mats.

Best way to describe the wear on the 7 iron is to say it looks used - still good, oddly the 'flame' colours on that iron seem to have got less obvious (there is some natural and rather cool variation anyway between each iron). Otherwise, still ok & not even any major dings yet.

When i went back to the shoppe to get my putter cut down, the guys at Golfcraft were asking where my iron covers were, hah. ;) They did look a bit surprised when i said i didn't bother with that..... ah, well. The first ding is the deepest, and after that they just get more 'personalized'.

First ding i put in my 19degree 901 iron was on the sole when i dropped it gently on a bathroom floor afetr cleaning it! (The 901 is in regular chrome......damn excellent club)

Oh, all was done by the guys at Golfcraft on Ekkamai road in Bangkok - you can look at any Epon site for the wedges in copper finish..... they sent my irons off to Japan to get redone (am told there's no others done like it yet.....although another guy on wrx has some in a similairish finish, tho' maybe darker?)

I'll try to remember to take some pics in a couple of weeks.

Coops

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

When i went back to the shoppe to get my putter cut down, the guys at Golfcraft were asking where my iron covers were, hah. ;) They did look a bit surprised when i said i didn't bother with that..... ah, well. The first ding is the deepest, and after that they just get more 'personalized'.

Oh, all was done by the guys at Golfcraft on Ekkamai road in Bangkok - you can look at any Epon site for the wedges in copper finish..... they sent my irons off to Japan to get redone (am told there's no others done like it yet.....although another guy on wrx has some in a similairish finish, tho' maybe darker?)

I'll try to remember to take some pics in a couple of weeks.

Coops

Ha! Tell Khun King to calm down. Not everyone uses iron covers. I am sad to say I'll be leaving the LOS in a month, no more trips to golfcraft for me... :(

Ping G25 9.5 - Diamana D+
Ping G20 3h - Tour TFC
Ping Rapture J 3-PW w/ Rombax 115i
Ping G25 SW - CFS X
Ping G25 LW - CFS X
Odyssey Black Series #9

Thought I'd post a link to the blog reporting pictures of the smooth gold finish wear. Not a good look at all.

http://blog.golfdigest.co.jp/user/emiryou/...BlogEntryExtend

Brian

Hey Lngnkr: Winter is almost over, time for the 501 vs 701 duel at tiffany greens. LOL

I really like the look of the 501s in you bag, can't wait to compare to the 701s

Thanks,

Brad

B, That sounds great, we'll definetely have to get together. I look forward to it...

I should have all 3 of my NEAD's soon, so I'll bring them along...

- Joe

That is a super sick finish, I love it on my wedges and I wouldn't have hesitated a moment to get that finish on my irons if it was an option....

Lngnokr71,

Victory Custom Golf (super nice guy to deal with) has an account with Epon and can send your irons off to be done in the copper if that is what you want. I personally would play them for a year and then send them off to get done after the faces show some wear that way when you get them back they will look new again.

http://www.victorycustomgolf.com/namebrand/epon.aspx

Thought I'd post a link to the blog reporting pictures of the smooth gold finish wear. Not a good look at all.

Brian

WOW!!!

I have had my set (AF301's) for about a year now. At least 30-40 rounds and they don't look anything like that. They still look fantastic. IMO those have been abused to the extreme. I think you would have to take some sandpaper to them or drag them along the cart path to do that. That wear is not even kind of normal.

I also have a set of copper wedges that I practice with. Almost 2 years old now. 3-4,000 thousand practice shots, at least. Still look good. The wear is nothing like what is pictured in that link.

8 iron

Brian

WOW!!!

I have had my set (AF301's) for about a year now. At least 30-40 rounds and they don't look anything like that. They still look fantastic. IMO those have been abused to the extreme. I think you would have to take some sandpaper to them or drag them along the cart path to do that. That wear is not even kind of normal.

I also have a set of copper wedges that I practice with. Almost 2 years old now. 3-4,000 thousand practice shots, at least. Still look good. The wear is nothing like what is pictured in that link.

8 iron

After seeing your bag pics, I figured that the blog pics were an exaggeration of what normal wear-and-tear is on this finish. Your's look really good as they've worn. Can you take a picture of your AF-301 at address? I'm considering either the Black finish or Satin in a combo AF-301/AF-Tour, and would like to see them at address.

Brian

• 2 months later...

just took some photos of my 7 iron to show the wear on my copper 301's.... hence this old thread bumped up again.

I like how they're wearing - note I do not ever use iron head covers (unless they're flying somewhere), and this 7 iron is the most used of my set by far.... have been working hard on my swing (with pro at Wilding Golf) and all practice etc is on MATS... so as bad as it can be, really.

Really they look like Shuttle's irons above - and to me it's a nice look, just like a 'regular' chrome set gets all dinged and worn and ends up looking nicely experienced.

Oddly, the irons on the whole haven't got many actual dings on them - less than i'd expect.

The rust spots on the ProjectX shafts are more of a problem, in fact.....

pics!!

address.jpg

face.jpg

sole.jpg

sole2.jpg

Coops

I'm an Epon fan. Although they will not start the season in my bag, my AF-301's will never be sold. Just damn good clubs. Still strongly considering adding the AF-Tour's at some point this year, but have been interested to see early pics of the same custom options that are offered in the cavity back lines, i.e. sole engraving and custom finishes. I've seen the brushed satin finish, which is really nice (and my preference). But I found these pictures of the copper finish which I thought folks my enjoy seeing.

Just make sure it's not BERYLLIUM Copper, as beryllium is poisonous - and that is why Ping stopped selling their copper clubs a while ago.