MEMBERS' CHOICE: Best driver of 2018? Poll added

knudson81

M3 #1 followed closely by Ping G400 LsT and no other driver gets a vote from me because they weren’t even close to those 2.

I hit Rogue Subzero expecting a giant slayer and I vaporized one that I literally couldn’t hit any more perfect.. 9 mph slower ball speed than the best drive I hit with the M3 and 7 mph slower ball speed than I hit with G400 LsT. The Rogue SZ felt really good but the ball speed was not there and it just didn’t have the firepower I was expecting.

M3 shower the highest ball speed consistently out of the bunch that I tested. I currently play a 2016 M1 with Tensei white 80tx and the M3 is a very close match to my current setup so maybe it was a comfortability thing to me. The M3 I tested had the stock 6x shaft so it was much much lighter and longer than my current driver and it was a bit spinny in flight compared to my M1 setup so total distance was down but I could see myself making a switch to M3.

Ping G400 LsT was a surprise to me as it reached the 2nd highest ball speed of the bunch and was able to keep spin down at the same time. I hit the 8.5* head with the stock copper 6x in this driver as well.. it felt like a wet noodle in comparison to my Tensei but it performed quite well for keeping spin down and balm speeds up. The one issue I had with G400 LsT was that it wanted to turn over moreso than M3 when I swung more aggressively at it.

At any cost, nothing can really beat the consistency and overall performance of my M1 setup. Anything new on the market would just be a change in the looks department without much performance advantage in my opinion.

** M3 had my highest EVER recorded ball speed on Trackman

** G400 LsT had my 2nd highest all time ball speed on Trackman

** my M1 with Tensei was not far behind in the ball speed category and I believe it was due to the fact that my driver is very heavy and short compared to thee OTR drivers so my swing speed has to be slightly higher with the OTR lighter and longer drivers.

• Like 1

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

M3 #1 followed closely by Ping G400 LsT and no other driver gets a vote from me because they weren’t even close to those 2.

I hit Rogue Subzero expecting a giant slayer and I vaporized one that I literally couldn’t hit any more perfect.. 9 mph slower ball speed than the best drive I hit with the M3 and 7 mph slower ball speed than I hit with G400 LsT. The Rogue SZ felt really good but the ball speed was not there and it just didn’t have the firepower I was expecting.

M3 shower the highest ball speed consistently out of the bunch that I tested. I currently play a 2016 M1 with Tensei white 80tx and the M3 is a very close match to my current setup so maybe it was a comfortability thing to me. The M3 I tested had the stock 6x shaft so it was much much lighter and longer than my current driver and it was a bit spinny in flight compared to my M1 setup so total distance was down but I could see myself making a switch to M3.

Ping G400 LsT was a surprise to me as it reached the 2nd highest ball speed of the bunch and was able to keep spin down at the same time. I hit the 8.5* head with the stock copper 6x in this driver as well.. it felt like a wet noodle in comparison to my Tensei but it performed quite well for keeping spin down and balm speeds up. The one issue I had with G400 LsT was that it wanted to turn over moreso than M3 when I swung more aggressively at it.

At any cost, nothing can really beat the consistency and overall performance of my M1 setup. Anything new on the market would just be a change in the looks department without much performance advantage in my opinion.

** my M1 with Tensei was not far behind in the ball speed category and I believe it was due to the fact that my driver is very heavy and short compared to thee OTR drivers so my swing speed has to be slightly higher with the OTR lighter and longer drivers.

highest ball speed! What was that, 195

highest ball speed! What was that, 195

98 with M3

96 with G400 LsT

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

G400’s are absolutely killing it!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Will hopefully be adding to the vote soon

My epic sub zero is being replaced with whatever wins my personal shoot out

Early contenders are the M3, ping G400 lst, F8 or F8+

Yet to really hit the new Rogues

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

The G400 series is the truth. Rogue is up there as well.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Really liking my rogue w even flow blue. Came from 2017 M1. For a low spinning driver, I’m totally impressed by the workability of the Rogue. My ability to be able to turn it over easily has given me extra distance i was looking for. It’s an odd combo of allowing me to turn it over without the duck hook creeping in. I can easily fade it as well. I went into the store looking to get m3/m4. Tried the rogue on a whim and easily won out in the sim. On course testing has confirmed sim results. (Not always the case for me)

Ping G400 LST with the Tour 65 is consistently giving me the highest ball speeds with low spin and elite forgiveness. A close second has been the standard Callaway Rogue with Even Flow Blue which is very similar to my 16 M2 with Tensei PO. I never thought I would play a Ping driver but the numbers are too good to ignore and have been proven out with 3 launch monitor sessions and 3 rounds on the course.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

I just cancelled my TM M4 order and picked up a PING G400 LST Aldila X Torsion. I demo’d that setup again and it was way better for me than TM M3 and M4 and M2. I am a Big TM fan (see signature) but there was NO denying just how good I was hitting it. Best dispersion with 14* launch and 2200 ish backspin with the highest ball speeds for me.

Guess it don’t matter what’s in the bag if I hit more fairways and closer to the hole.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

FOR those that keep saying the Rogue is their top pick... did you get ball speeds and launch info or are you basing it on range flight? I’m curious because Rogue was the worst ball speeds of any new driver I hit along with F8 (didn’t get to hit F8+ yet) but everyone else is upvoting them. Might just be a poor head for me.

Will hit some more on Trackman tonight most likely and see if I notice anything different.

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

The G400 LST continues to be the winner for me. I took it along with my Epic and it and the Epic bested the Rogue and the M3 No M4 head to available for me. G400 is consistent for me, the Epic will still best it on distance of best drives, however the G400LST was on average consistently longer and more accurate when you factor in all drives. The Rogue seemed hotter it felt and sounded like I should be hitting it longer, however the numbers did not support what I was feeling. The M3 felt very good, however I saw more movement on my drives and found the fairway less. My draw was amplified much more than with the other drivers. I will chalk that up to the shaft and will try again another time.

My choice remains the Ping G400.

FOR those that keep saying the Rogue is their top pick... did you get ball speeds and launch info or are you basing it on range flight? I’m curious because Rogue was the worst ball speeds of any new driver I hit along with F8 (didn’t get to hit F8+ yet) but everyone else is upvoting them. Might just be a poor head for me.

Will hit some more on Trackman tonight most likely and see if I notice anything different.

I’m finding the opposite during fittings, Rogue has 2mph more ball speed than the other heads.

I must say haven’t done a fitting with the F8 yet, they arrived only yesterday to us.

For me the top 3 were (All were 9.5* heads with Hzrdus T110 shaft)

1. Taylormade M4: something about this head and shaft combo just seemed perfect for me. Had the trifecta lowest spin, highest clubhead speed, highest ball speed. Twistface: not sure it’s not just all a marketing gimmick but I did have very tight dispersion.

2. Ping G400 LST: Gave very good dispersion and low spin. Was the winner until I hit the M4. Wasn’t the biggest fan of the feel and the dragonfly tech on the top just doesn’t do it for me. I can see this being a good head for a lot of guys.

3. Cobra F8+: CNC face milling on the front was pretty interesting and for me was the second best feeling driver I hit. The spin was just too high for me and wasnt giving me the best ball speed and smash factor. Dispersion was so-so had some low lefts with it.

Extras: Rogue Sub Zero, got along better with this club then my enemy number 1 the epic but dispersion was all over the place and just couldn’t get comfortable with it.

Taylormade M3: Huge miss for me just couldn’t get it dialed in. Would lower the spin but forgiveness and dispersion would go out the window and vice versa.

I recently was in the market to replace my Ping G400 Driver, because it was spinning to much on me and I replaced the stock shaft with a Diamana White 70 stiff flex.

I was on the GC2 and got numbers for the Rogue Sub Zero, Taylor Made M3, and Ping LST.

The Rogue SZ came in with the lowest spin numbers for me at 2300, but that was with a Hzardus Yellow shaft, 76 grams, 6.0 flex and the 14g weight set in the back. So I purchased this club and gamed it his past weekend with great results. Longer, straighter with a lower trajectory than my Std Ping G400.

The M3 came in at 3000-3100 with the weights neutral (central channel) and in a Tensei White stiff 70 grams shaft. I really like the feel of the M3 though and probably because I previously gamed a Diamana shaft in my driver and a Tensei Blue in my 818 hybrid. I’m still thinking of maybe buying the M3 as my 2nd driver.

The Ping LST in the stock low launch shaft...was in the 3300 rpm for me.

I’m a 6 hdcp with a driver swing speed between 108-111 mph and a high spinner.

Update:

I sat in on my friends fitting at Carl’s Golfland last night and saw him hit:

Taylormade M3

Ping G400 Max with multiple shafts

Cobra F8

Callaway Rogue SZ with multiple shafts

His average stats with the winning setup for those that have similar numbers:

Swing Speed: 102

Ball Speed: 153

Launch angle: 13

AoA: between +3 and +5

Spin rate: 2200

Carry distance: 255

Total: 283

His winning setup: Rogue SZ 9* w PX Evenflow 60 6.5

His swing speed is between 101-104 currently and he was getting ridiculous ball speeds and smash off the Rogue SZ with PX Evenflow shaft which ended up winning his fitting. Rogue SZ produced the highest ball speeds and best dispersion regardless of shaft in comparison to the others. He averaged 1.5 smash with the Rogue SZ and 1.47 or less on everything else he tried. The Ping G400 Max would have been the next best club for him but the ball speeds were lower and disepersion was not nearly as good. Surprised the Rogue SZ was actually MORE forgiving on mishits for him than the G400 max.

I hit a couple balls after his fitting was complete and I saw the same thing I said a couple days ago... Rogue SZ for me is a dead head. I ripped one and caught it dead center and ball speed was down almost 10 mph.

My numbers on 2 balls with my driver:

SS: 127

BS: 188

LA: 12

AoA: +2

Spin: 2200

CD: 314

TD: 335

**MY TAKEAWAY:

If you are swinging your driver 90-110 mph the Rogue creates some serious ball speed. If you swing over 115 mph Rogue starts to lose its pop. I swing about 126-128 right now and I saw the best ball speeds off of M3 followed closet by G400 LsT. I saw a 4 mph increase in ball speed with the M3 over my 2016 M1 and 2 mph increase with the G400 LsT on nearly identical strikes however, my M1 has my heavy + short 80tx shaft and the M3 I hit was a 60 gram version so the difference in ball speed must have come from the added speed from the lighter club. After looking at the numbers I actually think I am going to try my beloved 2016 M1 head on a lower setting. My land angle was about 44* and peak height was higher than I’d like so I can definitely improve a little on my own driver. I also think at a lower loft I will get a little better ball speed off my M1 as well.

**If you are under 110 mph ss: Callaway w Jailbreak is better

** if you are over 115 mph ss: Taylormade w Hammerhead is better

** if you hate both of them... Ping G400 LsT is a heavyweight contender

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

The G400 LST is the one for me, by far. It was #1 in both ball speed (by 2 mph) and dispersion ( by a lot). Results confirmed conclusively on the course. Also, I didn't see any fade bias.

That’s what I like to hear. Mine gets delivered Sat.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

It's that time of year! The most exciting time of year if you ask us here at GolfWRX.

Most of the companies have released their new drivers, and it's your turn to test them all and see what driver is going in your bag for the 2018 season.

ONCE YOU'VE TESTED the new drivers, please take the time to vote on what THREE drivers you think are the best of the bunch, and tell us why in the forum thread below.

Some questions to consider: Which driver was lowest spinning? Highest spinning? Longest? Straightest? What did you like about the three drivers you picked? What didn't you like about the drivers you didn't pick? What driver surprised you? What driver underwhelmed you? What was the best feeling and sounding driver of the bunch? And, most importantly, what driver do you plan on using in 2018?

Thanks for participating!

Mine,so far !!!

Another member said it - this has sooo much more value than Hot List. Great thread.

Interested in giving the G400LST & the Rogue a try. Nothing has touched my TM Jetspeed & Rogue Silver I/O combo - but, you never know!

Callaway Epic Max | Mitsubishi MMT 70X
Callaway Epic Speed 15* | Mitsubishi MMT 80X
Callaway Apex Pro 18* | Mitsubishi MMT 90X
Callaway Apex 21 4-PW | Project X 6.5
Callaway MD5 Jaws 48* | TT DG S400

Callaway MD5 Jaws 54* | TT DG S400

Callaway MD5 Jaws 60* | TT DG S400
Toulon Las Vegas | SuperStroke Flatso 2.0

For now it looks like my Epic will be staying in the bag.

I’ve tried the rogue and hit it just over 1.5 yds further but bigger dispersion.

Loved the G400 & Lst, but distance did not match my Epic.

I hit the 917 D2 and went nuts for the feel. Then looked at my numbers and solemnly put the club down. Not even close. And I wanted to love it. I love my 816 hybrids, but driver did not work for me.

I have not tried M3 or M4 yet but I am always hesitant as I have not had the best results with TM drivers.

Ping G410 plus Tour65 S
PING G410 3w Tour 75 S
PING G410 hybrids: 18*, 22* & 26* TENSEI PRO BLUE 80 GR S
[PING G410 irons: 6 - U Nippon MODUS³ Tour 105
PING Glide 3.0 Wedges: 54* SS, & 60* SS

Scott Cameron Fastback 2.0
Member of TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Update:

Taylormade M3

Cobra F8

His swing speed is between 101-104 currently and he was getting ridiculous ball speeds and smash off the Rogue SZ with PX Evenflow shaft which ended up winning his fitting. Rogue SZ produced the highest ball speeds and best dispersion regardless of shaft in comparison to the others. He averaged 1.5 smash with the Rogue SZ and 1.47 or less on everything else he tried. The Ping G400 Max would have been the next best club for him but the ball speeds were lower and disepersion was not nearly as good. Surprised the Rogue SZ was actually MORE forgiving on mishits for him than the G400 max.

I hit a couple balls after his fitting was complete and I saw the same thing I said a couple days ago... Rogue SZ for me is a dead head. I ripped one and caught it dead center and ball speed was down almost 10 mph.

**MY TAKEAWAY:

If you are swinging your driver 90-110 mph the Rogue creates some serious ball speed. If you swing over 115 mph Rogue starts to lose its pop. I swing about 126-128 right now and I saw the best ball speeds off of M3 followed closet by G400 LsT. I saw a 4 mph increase in ball speed with the M3 over my 2016 M1 and 2 mph increase with the G400 LsT on nearly identical strikes however, my M1 has my heavy + short 80tx shaft and the M3 I hit was a 60 gram version so the difference in ball speed must have come from the added speed from the lighter club. After looking at the numbers I actually think I am going to try my beloved 2016 M1 head on a lower setting. My land angle was about 44* and peak height was higher than I’d like so I can definitely improve a little on my own driver. I also think at a lower loft I will get a little better ball speed off my M1 as well.

You sound like you know what you're talking about but I have to call bullxxxx on some of what you are saying. All of the current drivers from the big 5 are within 1-2 mph and a few yards and I rarely see anything over that no matter the company whether it's ping tm Callaway cobra or even Mizuno.

So for you to say you nutted the Rogue and lost 10 mph is completely false. I guarantee it. I don't swing 128 like you claim but I do reach 115-118 and the Rogue SZ, G400 LST, G400 Max, F8+, and M3 all we within 1 mph and 2-4 yards carry/total distance.

Also to make a claim that the Callaway helps slower swingers gain more ball speed than higher is comical. That's how every driver is made. A faster swinger is only going to get so much out of every driver.

Go watch Alex Etches at Golf Box Reviews. He doesn't struggle with ball speed at all with the Rogue. Regularly reaches 180mph+ ball carrying it 342 yards. Rogue regularly has been the highest ball speed driver he has tested but again all have been in the ball park. He nor I have ever lost 10mph from any modern day driver from the big 5.

To say one driver is better than the other is just opinion anymore especially if we are comparing the big 5.

I have hit most of these at Club Champion and the Taylormade M3 has the highest ball speed

Driver: Callaway Paradigm 9.0+ Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
3 Wood: Titleist trs3 15* Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
5 Wood: Titleist trs3 18* Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Irons: Taylormade P790 4-PW Project X LZ 6.5 
Wedge: Vokey SM9 50, 54, 60 DG S400  
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Update:

Taylormade M3

Cobra F8

**MY TAKEAWAY:

You sound like you know what you're talking about but I have to call bullxxxx on some of what you are saying. All of the current drivers from the big 5 are within 1-2 mph and a few yards and I rarely see anything over that no matter the company whether it's ping tm Callaway cobra or even Mizuno.

So for you to say you nutted the Rogue and lost 10 mph is completely false. I guarantee it. I don't swing 128 like you claim but I do reach 115-118 and the Rogue SZ, G400 LST, G400 Max, F8+, and M3 all we within 1 mph and 2-4 yards carry/total distance.

Also to make a claim that the Callaway helps slower swingers gain more ball speed than higher is comical. That's how every driver is made. A faster swinger is only going to get so much out of every driver.

Go watch Alex Etches at Golf Box Reviews. He doesn't struggle with ball speed at all with the Rogue. Regularly reaches 180mph+ ball carrying it 342 yards. Rogue regularly has been the highest ball speed driver he has tested but again all have been in the ball park. He nor I have ever lost 10mph from any modern day driver from the big 5.

To say one driver is better than the other is just opinion anymore especially if we are comparing the big 5.

Read closely I say it is a poor head “for me”.

To say that what I’m claiming is false with the Rogue is kind of ridiculous. I hit ball after ball after ball on Trackman with my driver and hover around 190- 194 ball speed and then I hit a couple with the Rogue SZ and the highest I reached was 185.5 ball speed on a perfect strike in the middle of the face with a +2 angle of attack and 126 ss.

I’m saying that I believe the Callaway design with jailbreak is fantastic for swingers Under 115 mph because I believe that is the threshold of maximum performance in that head on creating ball speed on mishits. If you are swinging 130 mph you don’t get the same benefits for whatever reason. In a side by side the Rogue SZ best ball was in fact 7-8 mph slower ball speed than 3 other drivers (one of which is mine).

Saying the big 5 drivers are all within a couple yards is untrue. Certain heads are going to fit certain players better unless every person on the planet has the same swing dynamics. M4 and M3 aren’t even within a couple yards of each other for me and they’re practically the same right? This whole forum is opinion based for the most part, I shared what my findings were in hopes of helping someone that may not have the chance to demo clubs like I have been fortunate enough to do. If you disagree with my findings that’s okay but I’ve never seen Trackman lie because it liked one brand over another brand. Don’t forget that one of my best friends was fit into the Rogue SZ while I watched and it was killer for him at 100 mph. I don’t have the answer to why it happened this way but it did so I didn’t sugar coat it.

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx