Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Question for those who play single length...what is your shortest club at that length? And then is your next club a traditional length? So if your PW is at the single length, your gap or sand wedge is standard for those clubs?

I carry 4-GW. My SW is traditional length. Gapping is a non-issue, because I can chip, pitch, and hit 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full swings with each club. IMHO, that's the magic of SL.

As I need to buy a Gap Wedge, I am trying to figure out if I should order the matching SL or to go for a complete set of Traditional wedges such as the Cobra PŪR? I had similar thought to you to go for the 4-GW in SL and perhaps SW-LW in variable to allow for easier bunker and around the Green? You think that is the best combo?

I thought a traditional length GW would drive the SL GW out of the bag, but it didn't happen. I'm pretty happy with the SL GW. The only traditional length iron I have in the bag is the SW, which I want because of the particular sole grind.

I thought a traditional length GW would drive the SL GW out of the bag, but it didn't happen. I'm pretty happy with the SL GW. The only traditional length iron I have in the bag is the SW, which I want because of the particular sole grind.

You could look into have a good clubmaker drill some holes in a spare one, get the weight down, and shaft it to match your SL set. I made my own SL set from non SL heads, doing just that.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I am seriously studying the possibility of expanding my Sterling with the new "traditional shape" wedges (55 and 60). At the begining I thought that I would be getter with my traditional wedges (Cleveland Rotex 3.0) that I like very much but after a month with the Sterling, I am very happy with the Gap Wedge and start feeling ackward with the traditional wedges...

I never developed a discomfort for the SW and LW, but I recently purchased the Sterling SW and LW. The jury is still out, but I'm favorably impressed because

-- Taking full swings with these is EXACTLY like all the other irons in the set. They're about 5 yards longer than my traditional SW and LW.

-- Chipping and pitching around the green is extremely flexible. You can do it full-length (and you'll be more upright) or by choking down on the club. Both work.

I'm still concerned because:

-- Opening up the club face to hit lobs or out of bunkers looks weird. It looks like I'm trying to hit an 8-iron opened up (natch). But the loft does the work here, not the lie angle.

-- Still not sure about hitting bunker shots holding the club at the end or by choking down. More practice here.

Other observations:

-- The clubs seemed longer, but they also launch much higher.

-- It's kind of cool to have a lob wedge and a 4-iron the same length.

Question for those who play single length...what is your shortest club at that length? And then is your next club a traditional length? So if your PW is at the single length, your gap or sand wedge is standard for those clubs?

I'm now 4-iron through Lob Wedge. For a year I retained traditional SW and LW clubs. I'm now going to see if the Sterlings will be okay (or better).

I went for an Edel putter and wedge fitting with Scott Sikorski in Crossville, TN. I had played an Edel Henry Griffits model in college. In fact I played it for 6 years and still have it. I was pretty set with my ping i200 but he fit me to the Edel SLS-01. There was no track man but a pretty flat range. I have the good fortune of having Edels #1 fitter in the world within 2 hours most of the year. He goes to Florida in the winter to fit and teach.

I’m a plus 1, 36 and played in college. I’ve been as low as a plus 5 and have played in the US Mid am for all that it’s worth.

I was really hitting it well during my fitting. Striping pings and striping the edels. I felt that I was clearly hitting the edels as good or better. The way the club moved through the turf and the way the edels felt were superior. I was hitting them at least as far or further to the naked eye. I could tell that I was hitting the center of each club better as well.

I am amazed that as we went through the fitting he could go from 2-16g in the club head and how much just 2g made a huge difference. Scott had regular Pure grips on the fitting shafts. This would be a problem later for me as I went through the Wright balance fitting with the same guy and it was determined I needed a jumbo grip. Golf Pride Tour Velvet jumbo to be precise. I hit them nowhere near as well when I got them. Naturally I was a little upset. Some of it was me but they just weren’t flying right. Distances I was used to hitting clubs were not turning out and the lofts coincidentally were nearly the same stock as ping, so I know about how far I should hit the clubs. To Scott and Edel’s credit he helped me all the way.

All of the heads had 8g weights in them when I pulled them out. Edel sent me a 10, 12g and 14g to hit. Luckily my buddy has a flight scope. I hit each club 4x with each weight and settled on needing 12g weights. I guess it’s cause of the grip differences from fitting to what I actually use? Anyways my suggestion is that if you have a major difference in grips from what the fitter has with these, you need to have the same grip when you get fit. Just pay the money and put it on the right shaft or whatever you’ve gotta do during the fitting. You can get fit and the shaft won’t make a difference but you need to go back and have you grip on the shaft if the weighting of the grips are drastically different to make sure you order the irons with the proper weights in the heads. These single lengths more than anything perform well at a perfect weight and head weight for you.

I’ve been through a lot of iron fittings. Most are hit the 6 or 7 and get fit to that and there you go. With Edel you get fit for the 4, 6, 8, p, gap, sand and lob if your bag goes that far. It’s amazing and the most comprehensive I’ve been through.

I ordered these irons around September. It took me a while to realize something was off and then we got down to business and Edel got em right. It started cropping up on windy days when I could most notice. It was simply the weight in the head needed to be a little heavier I guess. My gaps were bad originally with the 8g weights on flight scope. After putting in the 10g I noticed a huge difference but the gaps didn’t change a ton. After putting in the 12g it just felt great. When I looked at the gaps they were all around 10-12 yard gaps. I was amazed and the feel was just unreal. I hit indoors with my Taylormade TP5 ball. What’s amazing is when I put in the 14g it felt like the clubs weighed a ton. I had trouble hitting them. Again I hit 4-p with every weight 4x each and threw out the bad. Yeah I hit a few shots that day!

I also originally hit the ping i-200s against the edels with the 8g original weights and the gaps weren’t great on those either. Before I talked with Scott I was sitting there like neither of these sets are gonna work.

So all that said, I have all 12g weights in the clubs. I have about 5 rounds in and I can say these are the most dialed in irons I’ve ever had. I feel like a tour pro with how confident I am in how dialed in these are. It’s not a big adjustment for me honestly even though I never had single lengths before. I can easily go back to regular length. The long irons are stupid easy to hit. The pitching wedge was a little strange at first as it was so long but I’m good now. Just put them all in the same place in my stance, point and shoot. I have to 50, 55 and 60 in hand ground and love them too.

These irons work I feel because of the weighting options and the Paderson shafts. I’ve not hit the other manufacturer sets but I just can’t imagine they’d even be close to holding these things jock straps or look as good at address or in the bag. I paid a little over $1700 for these but with the level of customization, the tour level fitting and the customer service when they weren’t quite performing as I knew they should and did during the fitting. It was easily money well spent. With the quality of the shaft I’d say most manufacturers would be at that level anyways in price. I had steel fibers in my pings and they are like $40 per club up charge.

Edel wasn’t responsible for the clubs being off. I was fit to a certain head weight during fitting and they came that way. What I should’ve done was come back and had him put on a jumbo grip to hit and re check. All in all it was a fun process to get em right now that I look back at things.

Anyone looking at single length shouldn’t go through it without trying the Edels and they should travel from wherever to get fit by Scott, because he’s very knowledgeable and wants it to be right. You must be fit for these types of clubs in my opinion or they’re not going to perform properly whether it be Edel or another manufacturer.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Great writeup techgolfer1, thanks :)

Unfortunately, I cannot afford the Edels so I am happy with my F8 and make do with what is really, a great set of irons. I think it would have been nice to experience the difference in the swing with the various weight, sounds like a classy, professional fitting. Enjoy your clubs :drinks:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

So im a f7 one guy currently and really enjoying SL. Does anyone have a comparison between the f7 and the forged one ? I'm a fairly ok ball striker and i do miss a forged smaller head. Shot 13over par yesterday and that's with 36 putts!

Could I game the forged ?

I don't see why not. I didn't differentiate too much between the F7 OL and the Forged One when I was testing. The only difference is the shaft, I think the Forged one comes with the KBS FLT flighted shafts. Spec wise, there is also some slight difference in the loft of the irons between the 2 series with the Forged one being about a 1* higher loft in the same equivalent irons.

Now, to me, I liked them both. The forged wasn't that much of big advantage to me, imho, other than say "I have a forged iron". I play the 2013 Anser Forged and the Forged one was not "softer" than the Ansers and certainly nothing like the legendary Mizuno forged irons. In the end, I went with the F8 just because I like the stronger lofts more (I am a very high ball hitter) and better technology with the Pwrshell and changes in the head design from the F7. And to be honest, it was only about $170 more than I could get a used F7 set, or forged one set.

Try them yourself at some box store. Otherwise, pick up a set cheap on the bay and then decide which one you like. Otherwise, hang around for the Forged Tec one lengths :)

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

Just watched Peter Finch's WITB video for 2018 and his Cobra Forged Ones stuck around for another season. Pretty impressive in it's own right... The YouTube guys like to switch often but he said they help with his iron consistency and that's what he wants. I tend to agree!

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Just watched Peter Finch's WITB video for 2018 and his Cobra Forged Ones stuck around for another season. Pretty impressive in it's own right... The YouTube guys like to switch often but he said they help with his iron consistency and that's what he wants. I tend to agree!

I don't know why...but after about 45 seconds I have an overwhelming desire to punch Peter Finch in the face.

The Cobra OL forged are sexy irons.

So im a f7 one guy currently and really enjoying SL. Does anyone have a comparison between the f7 and the forged one ? I'm a fairly ok ball striker and i do miss a forged smaller head. Shot 13over par yesterday and that's with 36 putts!

Could I game the forged ?

I don't see why not. I didn't differentiate too much between the F7 OL and the Forged One when I was testing. The only difference is the shaft, I think the Forged one comes with the KBS FLT flighted shafts. Spec wise, there is also some slight difference in the loft of the irons between the 2 series with the Forged one being about a 1* higher loft in the same equivalent irons.

Now, to me, I liked them both. The forged wasn't that much of big advantage to me, imho, other than say "I have a forged iron". I play the 2013 Anser Forged and the Forged one was not "softer" than the Ansers and certainly nothing like the legendary Mizuno forged irons. In the end, I went with the F8 just because I like the stronger lofts more (I am a very high ball hitter) and better technology with the Pwrshell and changes in the head design from the F7. And to be honest, it was only about $170 more than I could get a used F7 set, or forged one set.

Try them yourself at some box store. Otherwise, pick up a set cheap on the bay and then decide which one you like. Otherwise, hang around for the Forged Tec one lengths :)

Swingblues thanks for the reply and advice. I've got a bay set on the way now so I'll see how each perform. May even keep both and have me a combo set.

@dazc1969 nice! love to hear your thoughts between the F7 and Forged Ones.

Edel SLS-01 Irons ordered just now. Now the waiting begins.

My fitter/salesman advised me to wait on getting the 5 iron, so I ordered 6-GW. 37.5" long, 64* lie angle, 274g head weight, Lamkin Midsize 58g grip. I got some minor custom paint-fill. Blue paint fill on the 6-7 iron, white paint-fill on the 8-9 iron and red paint-fill on the PW-GW.

Will post pics of 'unboxing' and what not as soon as I get them in my hands.

My fitter/salesman advised me to wait on getting the 5 iron, so I ordered 6-GW. 37.5" long, 64* lie angle, 274g head weight, Lamkin Midsize 58g grip. I got some minor custom paint-fill. Blue paint fill on the 6-7 iron, white paint-fill on the 8-9 iron and red paint-fill on the PW-GW.

Same lie angle throughout the whole set, huh? Did you fit with this on all the irons or just one?

One thing I did start taking notice was the lie difference between my 4 iron and 8 iron and PW. Not sure if the changes are effecting me good or bad since I do not have enough time on it. Still just wrapping my mind around a 5 iron in 7 iron length. Lots of things to "adjust to"

Same lie angle throughout the whole set, huh? Did you fit with this on all the irons or just one?

One thing I did start taking notice was the lie difference between my 4 iron and 8 iron and PW. Not sure if the changes are effecting me good or bad since I do not have enough time on it. Still just wrapping my mind around a 5 iron in 7 iron length. Lots of things to "adjust to"

In the fitting edel fits you for 4,6,8 and P as well as gap and sand if you want. So basically you’re fit individually for every other club in the set. Lie angles should be the same as well as head weight cause the lengths and shafts are the same for every club in the set.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

interesting, thanks techgolfer1 :)

So what is the advice if I'm hitting every every club better than the 7i, which should be the most normal? Lol

I've hit a few head scratchers with my 7. I hit the other clubs fine. I think I may be losing focus since I'm swinging the "normal" club.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Time and practice to dial it in.

If you search through some SL threads I assure you that you are not alone.

The long irons felt like cheating to me, short irons were the adjustment.

I know my worst swings came from trying to mentally “fix a gap” and power a certain club a certain yardage. Now I’m 90-91 mph with every SL club and all the lofts and lies are now matched perfectly.

Time and practice to dial it in.

If you search through some SL threads I assure you that you are not alone.

The long irons felt like cheating to me, short irons were the adjustment.

I know my worst swings came from trying to mentally "fix a gap" and power a certain club a certain yardage. Now I'm 90-91 mph with every SL club and all the lofts and lies are now matched perfectly.

Yes, this is pretty much my experience, as well. To the extent there was an adjustment, it was with the short irons, not the long irons. My swing speed with irons is also around 90, so the gaps are pretty manageable. One thing I had to monitor is to make sure that I wasn't swinging the long irons harder than the short irons. It's just natural to swing harder when the target is farther away, but it's the wrong choice.

Actually, I said that backwards. The real problem was that I was under-swinging my short irons and not swinging hard enough. It's mentally hard to put a 7-iron swing on a GW.

I’d love to post as I liken myself as a semi-expert.

Used Cobra F7s all year, 106 rounds total. Used to tinker and mess with irons but now I ended up selling my backup set which would be unheard of 1-5 years ago.

Handicap dropped from 5.X to 2.3 not all due to them but they were a huge addition. I shot more rounds in the 60s than the last five years combined. Defended my club championship and the clubs never gave me a worry.

I gained consistency in practice and play. Less tinkering and thinking about ball position, setup, takeaway, etc. I was able to practice less and play more because I could bring one club to the range. All the same haha.

I don’t see myself switching unless Ping comes out with a set.

I battled the low ball long irons that problem was real for me. I ended up putting the Ball forward a tad with all clubs to increase launch and it helped tremendously.

I did have some bunching issues with the 4-5-6 but dropped the 4 for a hybrid and it worked out. My wedges and mid irons gapped perfectly according to game golf gps tags.

I could not recommend them more although your mileage may vary. It’s a weird feeling hitting a LW the length of a 7 iron!

It sounds like an infomercial and I apologize but just be open minded and willing to try it. Might be a home run for you.

Thank you for the report out. I hit the single length F7s (non-forged) and new F8s at Golf Mart for an hour yesterday and have become smitten with the single length concept and the feel of these Cobras. Preferred the new F8 feel and ball flights over the F7. Originally came in thinking F7 Forged was the way to go. F7 (non-forged) felt better and F8 felt best by far.

Initial hits all felt short and off...but once I got warmed up after a day of sitting in the office, I found that the distances per club were in line with what I have recently played. Note: I’m 6’4” and shoot between 90 & 100.

- MP-4 stiff (felt great...best shots of my life but at a very low %, lol)

- Ping i3 O-Size (inherited from my amazing grandpa. hard to feel the ball and don’t like looking at the offset

Though the F8s felt great, I did notice that everything went right of center as a push. Have to figure that out but may pull the trigger on a set if I can find a place in San Diego that lets you really experiment with loft/lie & various shaft offerings.

Op:

- When you swapped out your 4 iron for a hybrid, was the hybrid 1 length (7 iron length) or standard length (length of a hybrid)?

I picked up a set of Edel SLS's 4-PW @ 37.5". They are fantastic, the benefits in reduced/focused practice is clearly the greatest benefit of the concept. A close second is how your wedge practice can become relevant to a wide range of clubs.

I use just two wedges; a SW and Lob both set at 36.5". Despite the 9* gap between the PW (45*) & SW (54*) I am not carrying a gap wedge, as the ¾ shots with the Edels (PW, 9, 8 & 7) are reliable shots to fill in the the gap large between the SW and PW.

As an experiment I took an old Ping Rapture driving iron and made it into a single length DI. I switched out the shaft to a 6 iron graphite model and added weight to the head to reach a D2 Swing weight, a lie adjustment & It works! I can hit it low off the deck or high off a tee. The distance the club hits the ball is shorter at 37.5" than it was at 40" & isn't great for holding greens. However, the fairway always seems wider with the DI than a hybrid. I also found the shorter DI to be a great rescue club & a bump n' run club. All the work I put into developing delicate shots with the wedges & partial iron shots is relevant to to the SL DI. I suppose you could get much of the same versatility out of a 3 or 4 SL iron.

Here is my yardage chart

Driver 250-285 (who knows)

3 wood 240-250

hybrid 225

DI 210 (carry)

4I 195

5I 185

6I 175

7I 165 / 130

8I 155 / 120

9I 145 / 100

PW 135 / 90

SW Inside 90

LOB inside 70

I picked up a set of Edel SLS's 4-PW @ 37.5". They are fantastic, the benefits in reduced/focused practice is clearly the greatest benefit of the concept. A close second is how your wedge practice can become relevant to a wide range of clubs.

I use just two wedges; a SW and Lob both set at 36.5". Despite the 9* gap between the PW (45*) & SW (54*) I am not carrying a gap wedge, as the ¾ shots with the Edels (PW, 9, 8 & 7) are reliable shots to fill in the the gap large between the SW and PW.

As an experiment I took an old Ping Rapture driving iron and made it into a single length DI. I switched out the shaft to a 6 iron graphite model and added weight to the head to reach a D2 Swing weight, a lie adjustment & It works! I can hit it low off the deck or high off a tee. The distance the club hits the ball is shorter at 37.5" than it was at 40" & isn't great for holding greens. However, the fairway always seems wider with the DI than a hybrid. I also found the shorter DI to be a great rescue club & a bump n' run club. All the work I put into developing delicate shots with the wedges & partial iron shots is relevant to to the SL DI. I suppose you could get much of the same versatility out of a 3 or 4 SL iron.

Here is my yardage chart

Driver 250-285 (who knows)

3 wood 240-250

hybrid 225

DI 210 (carry)

4I 195

5I 185

6I 175

7I 165 / 130

8I 155 / 120

9I 145 / 100

PW 135 / 90

SW Inside 90

LOB inside 70

This is the grid everyone needs to have. Those reliable distances with your partials... so few players have them. I've found them keys to getting on the green. I don't shoot in the 90s anymore, and I am convinced that it's because I took the time to learn my partial numbers. I'm not hitting the ball much better, but I'm scoring a lot better. Why? Never taking a "full" shot with my 58, being able to look at a given distance, and being able to quarter-swing it consistently (31m 58º, and add 7m for each club going up... just pick the closest number).

Well done. And that Rapture at 37.5... that's gotta feel like you can bomb it.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

@dazc1969 nice! love to hear your thoughts between the F7 and Forged Ones.

So after a week of frantic worry my forged ones 4-LW 10clubs arrived this evening! I seriously thought the courier had lost or stolen them. Anyways they really are a visually stunning iron and later this week I'll head to the range to side by side them with my f7 ol set. Gotta finish decorating the daughters bedroom first though

Built a set of sterlings at 37” end of the year and all I can say is they work great. Played about 10 rounds.

Initially the owner,gw,sw felt weird chipping, full shots no problem.

Been chipping all winter in the basement with the pw,gw and sw and really don’t have any issue, in fact when I go back to my standard length pow,gw,sw I cant get comfortable.

I’m going to build another set with some recoil 760 es smacwrap to reduce vibrations and midsize grips.

Then I’m done, well maybe a rogue 4 wood.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

I play 716 AP1's and just swapped my 4i and 5i for F8 one length 22* and 25* hybrids. WOW! It absolutely feels like cheating. Haven't been on a course yet but two range sessions in off mats and I'm amazed. I have so much control over the shot I can work it in/out, high/low, and forward/back. I can predictably hit the 25* low and hot out to 200 or high and soft to 175. Directional shaping is so much easier too.

I hit my 4 and 5 irons high and long but lack any consistency. Lots of thin and heely contact when I didn't focus on a smooth swing. These one length hybrids have so much more forgiveness. I can focus on hitting down and through the ball and my fat contact with the rails has very little directional impact and only a small distance penalty. With my 4i 25% of my swings resulted in great shots. With the OL hybrid its more like 50% great, 30% good, 10% okay, and 10% poor.

In the past I've noticed that swinging the longer irons really messed up my tempo and got me out of sync. Something about standing over the ball 200 yards out and knowing that I had to really clear my hips and get the full length of the club through contact in order to reach always seemed to screw me up. Now standing over the ball with these mini mallets and knowing that the easiest swing will get it there really gives me confidence. Hitting my OL 4H to 200 is the same swing as hitting my VL 9 iron to 140.

I can definitely see this OL concept catching fire in the coming years. It just makes too much sense. I'll stick with my VL short irons for now though because I hit those clubs very well. OL 4-7 and VL 8-PW is ideal for me.

What's everyone doing for the top of their bag length wise? Seems like the 3 Hybrid from Cobra is the longest club available right now so what are guys doing for their Fairways and Drivers? Chopping them down slightly and adding some weight? Going the older club route and trying to bend them more upright before chopping them down and adding weight?

I'm a lefty so this confounds the problem even more as my options are limited. But I am seriously considering going 3H-SW in Cobra or maybe LW, just not sure what I would do with the rest of my bag. I could probably get away with playing a Driver at 43.5 with a bunch of lead tape but would I notice a huge difference with all my bag being the same length then two or three clubs being considerably longer?