Mizuno JPX 850 Driver

 Calum2000 ·  
Calum2000Calum2000 Members  35WRX Points: 25Handicap: 7Posts: 35 Bunkers
Joined:  in Equipment #1
First off, I'd like to take the opportunity to once again thank Golf Monthly for giving me the chance to test the new driver!<br />
<br />
First impressions of the club were very good, I love the look of it, certainly much nicer looking than my current G20. When I sit it down behind the ball I just feel comfortable with the look of it. <br />
<br />
A bit of background on me before I talk about the performance: I'm 19 years old, 5'9" and pretty thin, not exactly built like a bomber, but through years of playing badminton I'm pretty flexible so can build fairly reasonable club head speed. My current driver is the Ping G20 10.5 with the Tour Stiff shaft.<br />
<br />
When I first took it out to the range, it was very cold and I hadn't had a swing in a few weeks, so was a bit rusty. None the less, I was hitting it well- I had it set in the 8.5 setting with the weights in 2 and 3 position. The club just feels really solid in this setup. As I say, it was cold, so I was swinging as freely as I usually do. I was hitting it well, still pretty high, but not ballooning like my G20 occasionally does.<br />
<br />
Following on from that, I had a couple of trips to the course, playing nine holes here and there where the weather, my work and university schedules would allow. On these trips, I was hitting it alright, but again struggling to swing my best due to the cold. <br />
<br />
Today, however, I was able to get on to a GC2 Launch Monitor at Affordable Golf in East Kilbride.<br />
<br />
I warmed up with a few 7 irons, then hit 7 shots with my own driver, followed by 7 with the JPX, still in the 8.5 setting with the weights in 2 and 3. <br />
<br />
The image attached shows the results, my G20 on top and the JPX below. I removed the best and worst hits with each club. <br />
<br />
As you can see, the spin with the JPX was much better, and the distance was up significantly. <br />
<br />
My issue, however, was with my dispersion. I was all over the place. This could be down to a swing fault and lack of play, or could have something to do with the weight/torque/flex of the shaft. <br />
<br />
The 60g Orochi stiff definitely feels softer than my current shaft, and I think that played a part in my dispersion issue. I'd love to be able to try the JPX with a heavier, stiffer shaft because I think with that it would be a real monster for me. <br />
<br />
All in all, I love the look, feel and distance I get out of the driver. If I can get the dispersion tightened up it will go in the bag without question. I have a lesson booked for a couple of weeks time once I get my exams out the way and hopefully that will help to correct whatever is causing the dispersion issues, or will highlight that it would beneficial for me to experiment with other shafts.<br />
<br />
My question is, do you guys think a change in shaft could be part of the cause of the poor dispersion? I hate to be the workman that blames his tools, but I'd just like a few opinions!
Posted:
Titleist 915 D3 Rogue Silver 60X
Titleist 913f 19 Rogue Black 80X
Titleist AP2 716 AMT S300
Vokey SM5 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 Superstroke 3
1

Comments

  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members  1517WRX Points: 258Posts: 1,517 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #2
    Great write up Calum! I am loving my JPX 850! It is a absolute beast with the speeder shaft. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your dispersion tightened up with the 6.3 tour spec. It is one **** of a stock shaft!
    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Tour 9° Diamana DF 70X
    Taylormade M1 2017 TI 15.5° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
    Callaway X Forged UT 18 2 iron Tensei Pro White 100TX
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW Black KBS $taper 130X
    Vokey SM7 raw 50F, 54S & 58D Green Nippon 125 wedge
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    All Iomic Stick 2.3 grips and I-Classic Mid Putter grip
    Titleist Pro-V1 High #s
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • McHackerMcHacker Members  4WRX Points: 0Posts: 4
    Joined:  #3
    Your thoughts about the shaft echo my own, I'm going to pull the orochi because Mizuno won't sell me an adaptor, just haven't quite decided what to replace it with
    Posted:
  • Calum2000Calum2000 Members  35WRX Points: 25Handicap: 7Posts: 35 Bunkers
    Joined:  #4
    Will mizuno not sell them on their own at all? I'm hoping when it's officially released in the UK in February there will be a chance to try out a few of the mizuno custom options
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D3 Rogue Silver 60X
    Titleist 913f 19 Rogue Black 80X
    Titleist AP2 716 AMT S300
    Vokey SM5 52/56/60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 Superstroke 3
  • dunndunn Members  6362WRX Points: 163Handicap: 5Posts: 6,362 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5
    I hit this today, and a buddy bought one....have to say it does seem fairly straight against some others and what a nice quality shaft...it's very firm, I hit reg and was surprised it said regular..very stout shaft which makes total sense why this driver is so straight....I kinda wish they offered all the speeder ranges as one does not fit all but if this is your shaft it's pretty tough not to pick this combo....very good driver!
    Posted:
  • LobberLobber Members  2564WRX Points: 236Posts: 2,564 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6
    McHacker wrote:
    <br />
    Your thoughts about the shaft echo my own, I'm going to pull the orochi because Mizuno won't sell me an adaptor, just haven't quite decided what to replace it with<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    You CAN order an adaptor through your retailer. I confirmed this with Nizuno customer service. I have a new 757 Speeder I am going to try in my 850
    Posted:
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers  5471WRX Points: 508Handicap: 6Posts: 5,471 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #7
    I have the JPX 850 driver with the <br />
    Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.3 and think<br />
    this is a great driver. Tried others <br />
    and the Mizuno is in the bag. If others are in the market for a new driver, try this JPX 850 out. Yeah.<br />
    Its that good. <br />
    Posted:


    Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

    4 HC
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Calum2000Calum2000 Members  35WRX Points: 25Handicap: 7Posts: 35 Bunkers
    Joined:  #8
    From what I've seen, there seems to be a lot of praise for the speeder shaft. It really makes me wish that we'd seen it as the stock shaft in the UK instead of the Orochi. <br />
    <br />
    I'm glad to hear that there's the potential to get an adapter from Mizuno if I decide to go down that road!
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D3 Rogue Silver 60X
    Titleist 913f 19 Rogue Black 80X
    Titleist AP2 716 AMT S300
    Vokey SM5 52/56/60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 Superstroke 3
  • tdelamtdelam Club Junkie Members  3571WRX Points: 166Handicap: 7.2Posts: 3,571 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jan 10, 2015 #9
    I've got the same driver. The honeymoon phase is over; It's not staying in the bag. While it looks nice, the dispersion was not good for me at all, I can't keep the **** thing straight! I didn't really like the feel, I found it felt a little dead. It's also loud but this is minor and just takes some getting used to. The dispersion issue is not with the shaft, I've had it in other drivers, it's one of my fav shafts, I love it! Perhaps just getting the weights and loft correct is the key? Maybe it just takes tinkering/fitting session to get right? I've tried almost every setting possible. The one that worked the best was the setting that is supposed to be least forgiving, 1st weight in "3" and the 2nd weight in "1", strange. I did have some long drives with it though, just didn't get the accuracy I was hoping for.<br />
    <br />
    I actually found a driver that works for me that I never thought would ever game a "Cobra" driver, specifically the AMP Cell Pro, I picked it up for only $150 with the nice Mitsubishi Rayon Kurokage Black shaft, lol. Talk about an underrated driver.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    - Cobra F9
    -
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL  
    - Titleist SM5 Wedges
    - Scotty Cameron Teryllium
    - Srixon Z Star

  • McHackerMcHacker Members  4WRX Points: 0Posts: 4
    Joined:  edited Jan 11, 2015 #10
    Calum2000 wrote:
    <br />
    Will mizuno not sell them on their own at all? I'm hoping when it's officially released in the UK in February there will be a chance to try out a few of the mizuno custom options<br />
    <br />
    Lobber wrote:
    <br />
    You CAN order an adaptor through your retailer. I confirmed this with Nizuno customer service. I have a new 757 Speeder I am going to try in my 850<br />
    <br />
    Calum2000 wrote:
    <br />
    From what I've seen, there seems to be a lot of praise for the speeder shaft. It really makes me wish that we'd seen it as the stock shaft in the UK instead of the Orochi. <br />
    <br />
    I'm glad to hear that there's the potential to get an adapter from Mizuno if I decide to go down that road!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Adaptors can be ordered through retailers in the US but in the UK they won't be supplied seperately(confirmed by phone call to MizunoUK), and the choice of upcharge shafts doesn't excite me enough to shell out a lot of money(rumour has it the speeder us a c.£200 upcharge even though it's stock in the US).<br />
    <br />
    I have been emailing US retailers from the link page on mizunousa.com and can't find any who stock the adaptor or will order it for me, they say that a special order has to be larger which is fair enough I don't blame the retailers. Mizuno US won't deal direct and Mizuno UK won't deal at all, so I either have to sell(which I don't want to do) or pull and re-shaft.
    Posted:
  • imrede4glfimrede4glf Members  201WRX Points: 47Handicap: 15Posts: 201 Fairways
    Joined:  #11
    tdelam wrote:
    <br />
    I've got the same driver. The honeymoon phase is over; It's not staying in the bag. While it looks nice, the dispersion was not good for me at all, I can't keep the **** thing straight! I didn't really like the feel, I found it felt a little dead. It's also loud but this is minor and just takes some getting used to. The dispersion issue is not with the shaft, I've had it in other drivers, it's one of my fav shafts, I love it! Perhaps just getting the weights and loft correct is the key? Maybe it just takes tinkering/fitting session to get right? I've tried almost every setting possible. The one that worked the best was the setting that is supposed to be least forgiving, 1st weight in "3" and the 2nd weight in "1", strange. I did have some long drives with it though, just didn't get the accuracy I was hoping for.<br />
    <br />
    I actually found a driver that works for me that I never thought would ever game a "Cobra" driver, specifically the AMP Cell Pro, I picked it up for only $150 with the nice Mitsubishi Rayon Kurokage Black shaft, lol. Talk about an underrated driver.<br />
    Posted:
  • martinbnsmartinbns Members  1979WRX Points: 32Handicap: 8.2Posts: 1,979 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #12
    Part of your big drop in spin and wider dispersion could very well be the difference in loft. You had a couple well offline with your Ping as well.<br />
    <br />
    I have fallen into the lower spin, longer driver trap a couple of times buying lower lofted clubs, but the didn't equate to good performance on the course, lower backspin made it harder to control for me.<br />
    <br />
    I have settled into a happy place where landing on short grass 60% of the time or better trumps 10 more yards. <br />
    <br />
    Before I gave up on the 850, I would try it set as similar lofts to your G20 and play with the weights to see if there is a better balance between low spin and bitter dispersion before I gave up on it or spent $200 on an new shaft.
    Posted:
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R
    BB Alpha 815 14 set +1 draw Speeder 665 S
    19 & 23 X2Hot Callaway
    5 to Gap JPX825
    Scotty Kombi
    54/10 Rotex 2.0 56 Tmag ATV
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • kmod83_18kmod83_18 Members  127WRX Points: 0Posts: 127
    Joined:  #13
    Try it with the stock motore, Everything i have seen about this shaft and head combo is that it is a sick combo, your numbers are already good with it minus the disperesion maybe the motore will tighten it up a little.
    Posted:
    Ping25 10.5 Tour AD DI 6X
    Srixon 545f 3 Wood Kuro Kage Stiff
    Adams Pro 20
    Srixon 545 4-PW DG X100
    Cleveland RTX 50, 54, 58 X100
    Seemore FGP PTM 1
    Prov1X
  • dunndunn Members  6362WRX Points: 163Handicap: 5Posts: 6,362 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jan 11, 2015 #14
    tdelam wrote:
    <br />
    I've got the same driver. The honeymoon phase is over; It's not staying in the bag. While it looks nice, the dispersion was not good for me at all, I can't keep the **** thing straight! I didn't really like the feel, I found it felt a little dead. It's also loud but this is minor and just takes some getting used to. The dispersion issue is not with the shaft, I've had it in other drivers, it's one of my fav shafts, I love it! Perhaps just getting the weights and loft correct is the key? Maybe it just takes tinkering/fitting session to get right? I've tried almost every setting possible. The one that worked the best was the setting that is supposed to be least forgiving, 1st weight in "3" and the 2nd weight in "1", strange. I did have some long drives with it though, just didn't get the accuracy I was hoping for.<br />
    <br />
    I actually found a driver that works for me that I never thought would ever game a "Cobra" driver, specifically the AMP Cell Pro, I picked it up for only $150 with the nice Mitsubishi Rayon Kurokage Black shaft, lol. Talk about an underrated driver.<br />
    lol, I have amp cell pro and prolly gna get mizuno ( very nice and seems pretty straight)...stock shaft in ACP is junk imo...<br />
    Posted:
  • tdelamtdelam Club Junkie Members  3571WRX Points: 166Handicap: 7.2Posts: 3,571 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #15
    dunn wrote:
    <br />
    lol, I have amp cell pro and prolly gna get mizuno ( very nice and seems pretty straight)...stock shaft in ACP is junk imo...<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Enjoy <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I hope you get along with it. I love the shaft though!
    Posted:
    - Cobra F9
    -
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL  
    - Titleist SM5 Wedges
    - Scotty Cameron Teryllium
    - Srixon Z Star

  • dunndunn Members  6362WRX Points: 163Handicap: 5Posts: 6,362 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #16
    It will be few months still...just put a px in my cobra and it will have to do for now...sure it will be better than stock shaft.....but yeah what a stock shaft 4 the mizuno...in reality I would love that speeder in my ACP....but why when I can buy a mizzy with that shaft for $349
    Posted:
  • Chile GuyChile Guy Chile Guy Members  74WRX Points: 55Handicap: 8.9Posts: 74 Bunkers
    Joined:  #17
    Bought this club 2 years ago. I'm 67, SS 98, and play to a 6. I consistently out drive my playing companions. They call this Driver "Big Blue!" They are all about my age or a little younger, down to 53. I out drive all makes and brands and at my age and the age of my contemporaries who are buying any and all technology to get an extra inch out of their drives this Club remains king of the hill. I tried the 900, no go. The 850 easily out drove it even when I put the Motore 6.3 Tour Spec speeder in the 900. It is a great club. Too bad it did not get the hype of other Clubs that came out at the same time. I don't care I out drive them all (my contemporaries). That includes the top three! I confess I;m a Mizuno guy. I have some Mizuno clubs in my bag that are nearly 20 years old. But I never used a Mizuno Driver until this one. Mizuno never produced a club like this before. I am and remain impressed! Finally!
    Posted:
    The Chile Guy

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.