Everyone is a big hitter on the forum

Kevinx

Hit 2 new new all time personal ball speed records last night. Pretty cool since I haven’t seen much improvement the past year or 2

Awesome! Does this mean you're healthy now?

Not yet. Switched up some meds last week and hoping it is a large step in the right direction.

For the record this ball was with a OTR demo G400 LsT 8.5 with their stock copper x shaft. I also hit 198 with an M3 OTR demo but that shot spun quite a bit in the air and I lost some total yardage. Pretty confident I could get that spin down with a different weight setup and my shaft.. I know the speed jump comes from the lighter and longer drivers in comparison to what I use but I also got up to 193 with my real play driver which is really heavy (D9-E0 swing weight @ 44.5 inches with Tensei 80tx) and my spin/ dispersion was much better with my real driver.

First 2 pics are Ping G400 LsT and Srixon Z Star XV ball. Next 2 pics are my current M1 setup. (It was about 35-40 degrees that night). The best ball I hit all night with my play driver wasn’t recorded because my recording device died right after I made contact with the ball.

Just built a new 3 HL wood (16.7* 2017 M2 tour issue w GD P9003x tipped 1.5”). Results are better than expected... the ball speed off this 3 wood is almost as high as the Rogue SubZero Driver which I hit on Trackman as well and it is not even close to the Ping or the M3 for me.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit 2 new new all time personal ball speed records last night. Pretty cool since I havent seen much improvement the past year or 2

Not yet. Switched up some meds last week and hoping it is a large step in the right direction.

For the record this ball was with a OTR demo G400 LsT 8.5 with their stock copper x shaft. I also hit 198 with an M3 OTR demo but that shot spun quite a bit in the air and I lost some total yardage. Pretty confident I could get that spin down with a different weight setup and my shaft.. I know the speed jump comes from the lighter and longer drivers in comparison to what I use but I also got up to 193 with my real play driver which is really heavy (D9-E0 swing weight @ 44.5 inches with Tensei 80tx) and my spin/ dispersion was much better with my real driver.

First 2 pics are Ping G400 LsT and Srixon Z Star XV ball. Next 2 pics are my current M1 setup. (It was about 35-40 degrees that night). The best ball I hit all night with my play driver wasnt recorded because my recording device died right after I made contact with the ball.

Just built a new 3 HL wood (16.7* 2017 M2 tour issue w GD P9003x tipped 1.5). Results are better than expected... the ball speed off this 3 wood is almost as high as the Rogue SubZero Driver which I hit on Trackman as well and it is not even close to the Ping or the M3 for me.

Those balls speeds tho.

Some people bomb it. Some people lie. Some people are haters bc they can't bomb it.

I’m guessing you catch more than a few a hair thin? If you improve your AOA you’ll probably get 15 more yards of carry. Good baseline if that’s your controlled driver swing.

Was in trying to get AoA to + or level. And working with M1 to get my spin down. I fade the ball so those -3 and -4 AOA were creating way too much spin, as you can see. But smash factors were acceptable, not all 1.50+ but pretty flush. Working on it.

Youre averaging above 1.45 which is awesome/excellent and from the spin #s i figured you hit a cut. This is awesome because youre an instructors wet dream for a student!! believe it or not if you get your AOA to at least level consistently your spin will drop dramatically. Youd feel its the opposite but its not. Have you tweeked your ball position a litlle to see your #s? Id be curious if you moved your ball half a ball forward.Great stuff thanks for sharing!!! and keep up the great work

Hit 2 new new all time personal ball speed records last night. Pretty cool since I haven't seen much improvement the past year or 2

First 2 pics are Ping G400 LsT and Srixon Z Star XV ball. Next 2 pics are my current M1 setup. (It was about 35-40 degrees that night). The best ball I hit all night with my play driver wasn't recorded because my recording device died right after I made contact with the ball.

Just built a new 3 HL wood (16.7* 2017 M2 tour issue w GD P9003x tipped 1.5"). Results are better than expected... the ball speed off this 3 wood is almost as high as the Rogue SubZero Driver which I hit on Trackman as well and it is not even close to the Ping or the M3 for me.

giphy.gif

Why is it no matter the topic most of the posters claim they hit 300 plus off the tee. I'm not saying they don't but here in the metro area of NY where their is way too many golfers I have only seen a hand full hit it 300 yards. No matter where I have played . How come on the forum everyone claims they play like a pro. I don't believe most of them

I personally just think it's a golfers/golfwrx joke... don't you know everyone on golfwrx hit's every fairway and green in reg???

If you're on this forum you're probably an enthusiast and not an average golfer. You've probably had multiple lessons, practice and have been fitted for clubs. The average golfer doesn't do that. I think just about anyone has the ability to hit it 280 if they are under 40, somewhat athletic, in decent shape, received lessons and implement practice on the range to make the best of those lessons. Those that only play a couple weekends a year and never practice far outnumber those that play regularly and practice. Which group do you the average wrx'er is in?

Based on personal experience I would have to agree with this. 280 is a good poke but in my 30s that would have been short for a good drive. My average drive would have been around 250 as I was a 12 handicap, but a good drive was usually 300 plus and I was by no means the longest hitter going around. Most of my playing partners could also regularly get it out to 280 on a good drive.

I think the issue with most golfers is they think their average is how far a good drive goes. From my experience, most golfers true average is 20-30 yards shorter than they think it is.

I'm 52 and I hit it a very solid 245-255 with ease. And I'm in the fairway about half the time, give or take. When I have a, "fat fairway" (like 15 at Michigan's The Majestic), I might put a bit more lag on it and get 260 or a little more. 20 years ago I hit it about the same distance, so I'm fairly sold on the idea that equipment has really improved, because my body most certainly hasn't.

I played 119 18-hole rounds last season. Most all as twosomes with my 3 regular partners, and as we almost always get paired with another twosome, I conservatively played with at least 100 people I didn't know. Of those 100, maybe 7 or 8 I can remember could hit it 300 and of those 7-8 just 4 could hit it in a good place (fairway or rough that still allowed a good approach). The most interesting was a guy who was a, "semi-pro" (his words...and I didn't ask what that meant) that was not a big guy and could hit his 5 wood past my driver. He was a pretty amazing cat to watch play.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Everyone should have to post a GHIN number to validate their boasting.

Enjoy...

I admit it, I looked!

A little scruffy right now. Getting used to a new club and still figuring out what to hit off the tee. I can only use driver on a couple of holes. Target golf requires just the right club to position the ball properly for the approach shot. Lots of irons, hybrids, and 3Ws. Driven the 9th green (270 up a little hill, but always down wind and firm) 3 out of 4 rounds so I got that one dialed in.

I think the WRX needs an annual long drive contest for forum members!!

I’m getting too old and fat for this...but what hell...count me in.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I think the WRX needs an annual long drive contest for forum members!!

I'm getting too old and fat for this...but what hell...count me in.

I'm down for a virtual long drive contest

Though there would obviously be some honor's system involved aswell as an acceptance that some systems do not measure as well as others

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm a legit big hitter.........in my geezer group. :) Only thing, the shortest hitter on tour can hit a 7 iron as long as my driver. That might be a stretch but you get the point.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Tour driving average this morning, 295.1.....70 or so averaging over 300

Again, I've said before that there's a huge difference between "hits 300 average" and "can hit it 300". I've seen every member of my normal group hit a drive 300. None of us average 300. I probably could in a scramble format or on a simulator where accuracy isn't as big of a deal, but it sounds like somebody needs to define "big hitter" in terms of either single shot potential or average result.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Again, I've said before that there's a huge difference between "hits 300 average" and "can hit it 300". I've seen every member of my normal group hit a drive 300. None of us average 300. I probably could in a scramble format or on a simulator where accuracy isn't as big of a deal, but it sounds like somebody needs to define "big hitter" in terms of either single shot potential or average result.

It’s one of those situations when if you have to ask, you probably aren’t.

Piretti Savona 

Its one of those situations when if you have to ask, you probably arent.

It's just such a different question. I can afford to rent a Lamborghini for a weekend. That doesn't mean I can go buy a Lamborghini... They're not remotely the same. Yes, to average 300 you have to be able to hit one 300, but to average it over a round or a season is a much different discussion.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

It’s one of those situations when if you have to ask, you probably aren’t.

It's just such a different question. I can afford to rent a Lamborghini for a weekend. That doesn't mean I can go buy a Lamborghini... They're not remotely the same. Yes, to average 300 you have to be able to hit one 300, but to average it over a round or a season is a much different discussion.

I actually didn’t mean to quote your reply specifically. I glanced over and saw what/who constitutes a “big hitter”.

Piretti Savona 

Not me. I’m really happy if my drive reaches 240/250 yards because I’m normally around 220/230, heck my 3 wood goes 190/210. For reference I hit a 5 iron on a 150 yard hole and sometimes I don’t make the green. I’m not embarrassed at all, I have an issue with a consistent impact zone. One day I was golfing with some strangers I hooked up with and I think it was the 7th or 8th hole and caught the ball almost perfect off the tee and that baby went 250/255 conservatively and the rest of the group was al congratulatory and I’m like “Did I hit it that good” and they all commented on how nice the Swing was and I need to do that more often(duh) and how far they thought I hit because they play this course regularly. And then I smacked a nice 5 wood right on to the green so I could three putt out and make bogey. LMAO. Oh well I still love golf and try implementing proper technique al the time. Signed, Not Your Average Chest Pounder