2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

While my bag is not entirely OL, I have to say on my range sessions where I have been hitting 90% OL hybrid and 7 iron, my driver swings have been better than ever. My tempo is significantly better and my swing feels so effortless. I really feel like that comfort has come from not alternating as many different swings, ball positions, etc. Focusing on grooving one swing with all clubs then transitioning only to hit woods I'd imagine would have a similar effect on the course.

What's everyone doing for the top of their bag length wise? Seems like the 3 Hybrid from Cobra is the longest club available right now so what are guys doing for their Fairways and Drivers? Chopping them down slightly and adding some weight? Going the older club route and trying to bend them more upright before chopping them down and adding weight?

I'm a lefty so this confounds the problem even more as my options are limited. But I am seriously considering going 3H-SW in Cobra or maybe LW, just not sure what I would do with the rest of my bag. I could probably get away with playing a Driver at 43.5 with a bunch of lead tape but would I notice a huge difference with all my bag being the same length then two or three clubs being considerably longer?

Right now I'm playing my driver at 44.5 and I carry a strong 3w and a 16.5 degree Biocell hybrid that are both primarily used off the tee (3w is rarely used). I also carry a standard length 19 degree 3h, but it is very likely to be replaced by a OL hybrid or king utility this year.

I'd like to eventually have OL clubs cover every distance from 100-230. If I'm hitting an approach shot 230+, hopefully it's a par 5 and I can afford to hit a 3rd shot into the green if necessary.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

While my bag is not entirely OL, I have to say on my range sessions where I have been hitting 90% OL hybrid and 7 iron, my driver swings have been better than ever. My tempo is significantly better and my swing feels so effortless. I really feel like that comfort has come from not alternating as many different swings, ball positions, etc. Focusing on grooving one swing with all clubs then transitioning only to hit woods I'd imagine would have a similar effect on the course.

I definitely noticed a tempo change in my driver and hybrid. I wasn't expecting it, but it felt great.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

@dazc1969 nice! love to hear your thoughts between the F7 and Forged Ones.

So after a week of frantic worry my forged ones 4-LW 10clubs arrived this evening! I seriously thought the courier had lost or stolen them. Anyways they really are a visually stunning iron and later this week I'll head to the range to side by side them with my f7 ol set. Gotta finish decorating the daughters bedroom first though����

Good for you! I have a set of these (just got the F8 One's last week as well). The looks of the Forged One's are so clean. I was just having some height issues on the longer irons and the "lefties" on the short irons. I adjusted them a bit (made the long iron .375" longer in 5-6 and .375" shorter in 9-G) and was going to have the shorter irons bent 1.5° flat) but being a true GolfWRX ho, I just had to get the F8's. Who knows, I may play a blended set of the Forged One in the short irons and F8's in the long irons. Hit them well!

PS - was just diagnosed with moderate to severe arthritis in my right shoulder and, at 57, just needed a little more help to offset some loss in swing speed or the Forged One's would probably still be in the bag.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* w/Fujikura Motore F3
PING G425 Max 3 wood w/ALTA CB 65 Slate

Taylormade Stealth 15* w/Hzrdus RDX 75

SRIXON 3 (22°) Utility Iron w/Recoil Dart F3   
PXG 0317T (5-W) w/Recoil Dart F4

PXG Sugar Daddy II 56* w/Recoil Dart F4

VOKEY SM9 50° & 60° w/Tensei AV
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 w/Accra Shaft (Black on Black)
PRO V1x

What's everyone doing for the top of their bag length wise? Seems like the 3 Hybrid from Cobra is the longest club available right now so what are guys doing for their Fairways and Drivers? Chopping them down slightly and adding some weight? Going the older club route and trying to bend them more upright before chopping them down and adding weight?

I'm a lefty so this confounds the problem even more as my options are limited. But I am seriously considering going 3H-SW in Cobra or maybe LW, just not sure what I would do with the rest of my bag. I could probably get away with playing a Driver at 43.5 with a bunch of lead tape but would I notice a huge difference with all my bag being the same length then two or three clubs being considerably longer?

Right now I'm playing my driver at 44.5 and I carry a strong 3w and a 16.5 degree Biocell hybrid that are both primarily used off the tee (3w is rarely used). I also carry a standard length 19 degree 3h, but it is very likely to be replaced by a OL hybrid or king utility this year.

I'd like to eventually have OL clubs cover every distance from 100-230. If I'm hitting an approach shot 230+, hopefully it's a par 5 and I can afford to hit a 3rd shot into the green if necessary.

Good to hear! I think I am going to experiment around and maybe go something like Forged Tec ONE 5-LW, F8 3HY, then maybe a PING G400 Crossover 19 degree bent upright and shortened, followed by a 16 degree wood that's a touch shorter and a Driver around 44 inches.

In an effort to minimize the number of swings I needed to perfect I decided to try and make a single length hybrid set, with the intent on going with four lengths throughout the set: driver, hybrids iron and wedges.

In order to avoid the decent angle issues the seven iron length clubs faced I decided to go with a hybrid length of 40". I managed to adapted a set of Adams Red hybrids (super cheep on eBay.) 16*, 18*, 20*, *23* & 26* lots were available so I adjusted all of them to the same length, added weight via washers in three ports the club design features on the sole. I couldn't adjust the lie without cracking the metal.

The results were functional, but not quite as long as I hoped. I inserted an Arccos sensor in each club and hit the course.

16* = 215-231

18* = 212

20* = 200

23* = 185

26* = i didn't bother to hit it.

My SL 4 iron hits about 190, so that drops the bottom two lofts.

The 37.5" Driving Iron I discussed earlier in this thread was flying 210-215 on the same day. So that challenges the relevance of using the hybrids, especially off the tees. Too bad because I liked the idea, and the clubs do fly nice and straight.

Now I am thinking of putting the 3 wood back in the bag, and remembering how to swing that club again.

If I can find a shaft that will allow me to push the DI out another 10 yards I'll drop the 40" hybrids completely and add in a SL 3I or HL 3Hy to fill in that 200yd slot. If that doesn't work out I'll keep the 16* hybrid in the bag.

I can definitely see this OL concept catching fire in the coming years. It just makes too much sense. I'll stick with my VL short irons for now though because I hit those clubs very well. OL 4-7 and VL 8-PW is ideal for me.

If I was in charge of product development I'd make a set of hollow faced 'distance clubs' 2 through 7 all 38ish in length and matching set of CB 'scoring irons' 8-lob all the same length, 36ish. That would seem to solve many of the limitations of the single length concept.

In an effort to minimize the number of swings I needed to perfect I decided to try and make a single length hybrid set, with the intent on going with four lengths throughout the set: driver, hybrids iron and wedges.

In order to avoid the decent angle issues the seven iron length clubs faced I decided to go with a hybrid length of 40". I managed to adapted a set of Adams Red hybrids (super cheep on eBay.) 16*, 18*, 20*, *23* & 26* lots were available so I adjusted all of them to the same length, added weight via washers in three ports the club design features on the sole. I couldn't adjust the lie without cracking the metal.

The results were functional, but not quite as long as I hoped. I inserted an Arccos sensor in each club and hit the course.

16* = 215-231

18* = 212

20* = 200

23* = 185

26* = i didn't bother to hit it.

My SL 4 iron hits about 190, so that drops the bottom two lofts.

The 37.5" Driving Iron I discussed earlier in this thread was flying 210-215 on the same day. So that challenges the relevance of using the hybrids, especially off the tees. Too bad because I liked the idea, and the clubs do fly nice and straight.

Now I am thinking of putting the 3 wood back in the bag, and remembering how to swing that club again.

If I can find a shaft that will allow me to push the DI out another 10 yards I'll drop the 40" hybrids completely and add in a SL 3I or HL 3Hy to fill in that 200yd slot. If that doesn't work out I'll keep the 16* hybrid in the bag.

I was digging through my club/component stash tonight and ended up frankensteining a OL hybrid. Obviously won't keep me from chasing the OL f8 hybrid or OL king utility in a few months, but hopefully it works considering I have less than $40 total into the parts...

1) $30: Fly-Z 3-4H head (19-22deg) and adapter pulled from Fly-Z hybrid shaft

2) Free: 16g of twine (stuffed into the club head through the access port in the hosel)

3) $3: Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 6i shaft that I bought when Golfsmith went out of business (also same shaft model that is in my OL irons but slightly different weighting)

4) $6: Golf Pride CP2 grip

Built it to 37.5in, swingweight D2 after adding the twine. I have no clue if it'll work, what distance I'll get, or whether the twine will kill all of the feel. I'll probably start out with the draw settings to get it a little more upright, but when I was test-fitting it the lie and sole stance didn't seem too bad (smartpad at work?).

It'll be raining for the next two days here so I probably won't get to swing it any time soon, but I'll post results when I get to the range.

Love the creativity Mych! Considering the OL Hybrids are hard to find in-store at $199 MSRP I'd say youre ahead of the game.

I didn't think there was any way all that twine was going to fit into a hybrid head, but it's in there. It took me longer to get the twine in than to do the rest of the build.

I set it to 19.5 draw and hit about 20 balls with it in my garage this morning and it looked and felt great. I won't know for real until I can get out to the range, but I'm excited so far.

Another range report with the F8 OL hybrids...I have never hit the ball better in a range session. 70 degrees in Feb in NY had a lot to do with it but I am certain that the OL is making a big difference on the timing, tempo, and feel of my swing. I hit F7 3H, F8 OL 22* and 25*, 6i, 7i, and 3W. Feeling spry I grabbed a large 110 ball bucket and focused on having a good consistent swing. Probably 50-60 balls with the OL hybrids and 90% of them were straight to strong draw. The swings I left a bit open had only a slight fade which I would still call straight. I hit all of my other irons exceptionally well too because they are all the same exact swing and ball position for the most part. (Worth noting that I was drawing everything today so I wouldn't consider any draw bias)

The f8 OL hybrids are the easiest clubs I have ever hit. The weight of the head makes the club feel much shorter than a 7 iron. I've already checked twice just to confirm the length. If you pick one up you will think you are holding a Jr club rather than a 7 iron - length hybrid. It is literally like swinging a 9 iron for me. Extra distance doesn't come from swinging hard and making perfect contact. For me its simply a matter of playing the ball from the middle of my stance and lowering the flight. If I play it an inch forward I get a high soft landing shot. Workability is unbelievable. I was predictably nailing distances from 175 to 200 with the 25*.

My one (possibly) negative observation is that I did not notice much gapping between the 22* and the 25*. For me that's actually a good thing because it might allow me to take the 22* out of the bag and eliminate some on course decisions (and perhaps indecision). But the 22* for me seemed to land consistently in the area of the very good 25* strikes. But it was harder to hit the shorter distances with the 22*. And there is a significant yardage gap between the OL 22* and the F7 19*. Probably 25 yards on most strikes. Mind you, I'm talking carry distances, off mats, and I've hit the 25* a lot more than I've hit the 22* But for your information I would say the 22* covers the distances I would typically hit my 4 or 5 iron.

I used to try and play to my short iron distance off the tee but this club will definitely have me playing a lot more 3 wood off the tee if we are still in love after the honeymoon. Working in these OL hybrids are absolutely going to lower my scores.

Still more testing and practicing to be done as the weather warms and ball flight normalizes but yes, I'm giddy!

It's too wet here for a real range session, so I took my OL 4i, homemade OL Fly-Z hybrid (19.5deg), my current Mizuno 19deg hybrid, and my biocell 16.5deg hybrid to Top Golf for a half hour on my way home. My OL Fly-Z hybrid is definitely going in the bag. The first couple swings weren't great, then I remembered that "it's a 7 iron" and crushed it for the next 20 swings. Compared to my normal 3H, a negligible distance difference but a nice accuracy improvement. Carry distance slotted nicely between my 4i and 16.5deg hybrid. I can't wait to get it out on the course.

Just got in two rounds in Florida with cobra forged ones and I seem to be hooking the short irons only. This was a problem last year with the Pinhawks as well. Any thoughts?

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

I am really considering a set of the new King Tec One Lengths. I have a 4 hybrid right now that I can move to 20*. For the rest of my set, as I need new wedges anyways, I figured I combo it out like this:

Order the King Forged Driving iron in 3/4, crank it up to 23* to match the loft of the OL King Tec 5i. I will keep this at variable length, as it will fit the gap perfectly in terms of lengths between my 40" hybrid and 37.5/37.75" (depending on if I order a bit longer, I'm 6'1 with a 36" WTF) length SL irons. It will also help negate some of the issues guys are having with long irons flighting too low.

The irons will be King Tec OL from 6-PW. I think I will keep my wedges at VL but order them about 0.75" over, to get them closer to SL territory so it's not such a jarring jump from one to the other.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Just got in two rounds in Florida with cobra forged ones and I seem to be hooking the short irons only. This was a problem last year with the Pinhawks as well. Any thoughts?

Perhaps the lighter weight of the "shorter" irons has you closing the face a bit too quick? I have no direct experience to draw from with these clubs however when hitting my wedges my only miss is an over-handsy pull because I am focusing on moving the ball to the target rather than just taking my alignment and normal swing. Perhaps you are suffering from the same?

It's too wet here for a real range session, so I took my OL 4i, homemade OL Fly-Z hybrid (19.5deg), my current Mizuno 19deg hybrid, and my biocell 16.5deg hybrid to Top Golf for a half hour on my way home. My OL Fly-Z hybrid is definitely going in the bag. The first couple swings weren't great, then I remembered that "it's a 7 iron" and crushed it for the next 20 swings. Compared to my normal 3H, a negligible distance difference but a nice accuracy improvement. Carry distance slotted nicely between my 4i and 16.5deg hybrid. I can't wait to get it out on the course.

Mych,

I am absolute LOVING reading about the tinkering and creativity that you've shown in making the FrankenSLein Hybrid. I carry regular length Kasco K2K 44 and 55 (19 and 22*) hybrids and they are money in the bank, but reading your results have made me want to start experimenting a bit.

Thanks for posting your results.

I'm loving the F8 OL so far. Had the F7s in the bag all last season and never had any interest in anything other than putting these in the bag this year.

Only change this year was going to the Steelfibers. I had them in my set before the F7s and decided I was going back to them this year.

I have only had them out for 3 range sessions and some practice holes so far because...weather...but they are sweet. I had thought last year about cutting the PW/GW down a bit but decided to just start choking up at varying lengths. Seems to work just fine. The GW is by far the toughest for me but all it takes is practice. I choke up a little bit on it and can hit a really nice 3/4 shot.

One thing I think I noticed is the F8s seemed to really wear on the bottom more than the F7s did and they seem to really get nicked up easily in the bag. I can get over it - it was just something I noticed. Glad to hear so many other people getting along well with theirs.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I'm loving the F8 OL so far. Had the F7s in the bag all last season and never had any interest in anything other than putting these in the bag this year.

Only change this year was going to the Steelfibers. I had them in my set before the F7s and decided I was going back to them this year.

I have only had them out for 3 range sessions and some practice holes so far because...weather...but they are sweet. I had thought last year about cutting the PW/GW down a bit but decided to just start choking up at varying lengths. Seems to work just fine. The GW is by far the toughest for me but all it takes is practice. I choke up a little bit on it and can hit a really nice 3/4 shot.

One thing I think I noticed is the F8s seemed to really wear on the bottom more than the F7s did and they seem to really get nicked up easily in the bag. I can get over it - it was just something I noticed. Glad to hear so many other people getting along well with theirs.

My F8 sole is holding up pretty well. But a junior borrowed my F8 8 iron, hit a range ball right on the toe and the range ball marred the chrome. It took some effort to remove the mark but it's still entirely gone. Just watch that.

By the way, check out the 8 to PW, the F7 is a PWRSHELL design but the F8 is not. It's just cast. The Forged PWRSHELL is only from the 7 iron to 4 iron. The F8 forged PWRSHELL face is a unique feeling for sure, it does feel like a trampoline when the ball smashed.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I took out my Single length Edels and my updated ping SL DI (new shaft: Paderson IMRT) to a short , very narrow course today. I was looking to get the most out of my DI. I hit the Di off of nearly every tee, I didn't play the 3 wood or driver once! However, the slices got me today, even with the shorter driving Iron. It took me 12 holes to realize what my swing fault was (cupped wrist) and another 3 holes to stop overcompensating. I nearly ran out of balls. (laughing at myself)

A few things i noticed: The Paderson shaft are smooth, so much so, that you can hardly feel a badly missed strike vs an off center of the face strike. To get the proper distance you really need to put a good swing on them. ( admittedly I am playing the x-stiff, when I should be playing the stiffs) The Edels perform solidly on the close-to-center of the face strikes quite nicely, including the ¾ swings, which were quite accurate. However, they are not a fix for a bad day of off center, open faced swings.

Just finished 18 holes at 'Schitterbahn' next to the house. I must preface this with the fact that this course is so bad, it makes Tin Cup's driving range look like Augusta National.

That being said, I could not get on any place else as a walk-on when I needed to and they're close to the house and cheap.

I played 18 using nothing but my irons today until the 17th and 18th holes.

I teed off with my 6 iron on every hole except one par 3 and the last two holes. Results were as I expected....165-175 yards, and pretty much right where I wanted it to go.

To say I got a chance to play from bad lies today would be a gross understatement. The course is pretty much dollar weed, crab grass clumps, and sticker burrs with a bit of Bermuda every now and then...so I got to hit off of hardpan, sand, and some really crappy lies. The irons performed better than I had hoped on this course.

The course is 9 holes, so I played it twice.

Hole #1 320 yard par 4. 6 iron to middle of fairway. 8 iron to back edge of green. 2 putts, par.

Hole #2 145 yard par 3, straight into a 20 mph gulf breeze. I hit a full on 7 iron and was just short of the green. I chipped with the GW to about 4 feet and made par.

Hole #3 is a 300 yard par 4. The wind was blowing across as it was on the previous hole. I hit a good tee shot, but it got blown off line and left me about 140 into the green. The green is TINY and surrounded by water, so I hit an 8 iron bump and run to about 40 yards. I hit a nice chip with my GW, and sadly, missed the par putt. Bogey +1.

Hole 4 is a 520 yard par 5, STRAIGHT into the aforementioned wind. I hit my 6 iron a whopping 150 yards. So, I hit it again, and again. I hit a 3/4 GW to about 25 feet, 2 putts, bogey. +2.

Hole #5 is a 540 yard par 5, also straight into the wind. 6 iron, 6 iron, 6 iron, 8 iron knockdown, 2 putts, Bogey +3

Hole #6 is a 180 yard par 3, but now I have the wind at my back. I hit my 6 iron to the front of the green, have about 30 feet for birdie, hit it 3 feet past the whole, missed the comeback, tap in for bogey. +4.

Hole #7 is a 380 yard par 4. I hit my 6 iron to the 200 yard stick. I. hit it again to about 25 yards. I hit a low runner with my PW about 6 feet past the hole, missed the putt, tap in bogey. +5.

Hole #8 is a fun hole. 330 yards, hard dogleg left. Big inviting green. I hit my 6 iron and it caught the sloped edge of the fairway and the tailwind, and I had 130 left into the green. huge wind at my back, so I knocked down a GW, and it bounced up to the flag, 15 footer for birdie. Left it short, tapped in for par. +5

Hole #9. Monster Par 4. 440 yards. I hit my 6 iron about 180 with the huge wind, then hit it again. Had maybe 90 yards left to the flag. Caught my GW fat, and left the ball short of the green. Chipped it up, 2 putts, UGH a double. +7.

Coming back around:

Hole 1A I hit my 6 iron again, and kind of toed it a bit. The ball only went about 140. I hit my 6 iron again, and put it in front of the green. I chipped with the GW, hit the flag, and left myself 3 feet for par. Made the putt. +7

Hole #2A. Hit my 6 iron into a now even stronger wind...really flushed it....ball just cut right through the wind. Back of the green. I don't know what I hit on the green, but the ball sort of hopped all over, I 3 jacked for a bogey. +8

Hole 3A. Hit my 6 iron up the left hand side, wind brought it back. Hit an 8 iron stiff. Missed the birdie, tapped in for par. +8. I was kind of excited...for a short hole...it's a B*TCH to make par or better.

Hole 4A. 6 iron, 6 iron, 6 iron, 9 iron. 2 putts, bogey. +9

Hole 5A. 6 iron, 6 iron, 6 iron, 7 iron. 2 putts bogey. +10

Hole 6A. Absolutely SMOKED a 6 iron to the back of the green. 3 jacked like a chump. Bogey. +11

Hole 7A. 6 iron 6 iron, gw, two putts, bogey. +12.

Hole 8A. I hit my TEE EX9 Long off the tee...and absolutely DESTROYED it. I hit a draw that followed the contour of the fairway, and I had 80 yards left to the green. My plan, was to hit a GW knockdown...what happened can best be explained as having a seizure and hitting a bladed GW that is as long as an 8 iron. I hit this d@mn ball about 140 yards. I pitched a comeback shot with my 54* wedge, and had a long way to putt. 3 putts later, a nice double bogey. +14.

Hole 9A. Teed off with my 2017 M2. Huge wind riding bomb. I had 140 left to the flag. I hit a PW from there. I flushed it...and if there is ever such a thing as hitting it TO good...this was it. I hit the green dead center, but with the wind we had, it rolled way off the back and down a hill. I hit a $hitty chip and then 2 putted for bogey. +15.

All in all...shot an 87.

Here's a couple of thing I need to start doing.

1. Trust my irons...especially the 8-GW. For some reason, I will occasionally 'let up'...maybe it's because they feel long and I am worried about hitting them to far...the reality is...I won't. It's a mental thing.

2. Don't overswing the 6 iron. It does feel short. Again, it's a mental thing, but just 'swinging the 8 iron' produces GREAT results.

3. Bladed wedges with SL irons SUCK!

4. These irons are fantastic off of $hitty lies. I don't know if it's the shorter length or the bounce that David Edel has incorporated into them, but I like them ALOT.

5. I am ordering a 5 iron.

The top of my bag looks like this:

2017 M2/Aldila Rogue Black 70 Stiff 45" long

TEE EX9 Long 3 wood/Aldila Rogue Black 60 stiff 43" long.

Kasco K2K 33, 44, and 55 all factory specs, stiff flex shafts.

The Kascos fit where an old 2, 3, and 4 iron used to be...but I can actually hit them consistently.

One thing I have noticed...the more I swing the SL irons...the more consistent my swings are with OTHER clubs in the bag.

Seen some minor combinations but nothing definitive, anyone doing something like 5-7 OL, then VL the rest of the way? Really interested in the forged tec's and doing a mixed set. I struggle namely with the 5 and 6 irons but 7 down is pretty good. So my thought process is not to mess any of that up and play VL from the 7 down and just get a 5 and 6 in the OL. I play my hybrids and woods short anyways but wouldn't be opposed to a OL hybrid eventually. I know the whole point of the concept is to play the same swing with every iron but at least in practice at my local golf shop I just couldn't do the clubs like the 9-GW in OL. Im sure I would get used to it but trying to think about a mix and match instead.

Quite honestly I feel most confident over an 8 iron length so perhaps could do a whole set (or just the 8-GW at 8 iron and 5-7 at 7) but its an expensive experiment at $1100. Curious if anyone else has played around in these gray areas.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

Seen some minor combinations but nothing definitive, anyone doing something like 5-7 OL, then VL the rest of the way? Really interested in the forged tec's and doing a mixed set. I struggle namely with the 5 and 6 irons but 7 down is pretty good. So my thought process is not to mess any of that up and play VL from the 7 down and just get a 5 and 6 in the OL. I play my hybrids and woods short anyways but wouldn't be opposed to a OL hybrid eventually. I know the whole point of the concept is to play the same swing with every iron but at least in practice at my local golf shop I just couldn't do the clubs like the 9-GW in OL. Im sure I would get used to it but trying to think about a mix and match instead.

Quite honestly I feel most confident over an 8 iron length so perhaps could do a whole set (or just the 8-GW at 8 iron and 5-7 at 7) but its an expensive experiment at $1100. Curious if anyone else has played around in these gray areas.

My own opinion of course, but I feel like the shorter you go length wise, the more trouble you would have achieving optimal launch, spin, and height with the stronger lofted clubs. Since VL sets rely on length to help get the ball airborne in a lot of cases, I feel like a club that is 2-2.5 inches shorter than what the head is "designed" for would flatten out the flight too much, given that is the biggest knock on OL irons.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

My own opinion of course, but I feel like the shorter you go length wise, the more trouble you would have achieving optimal launch, spin, and height with the stronger lofted clubs. Since VL sets rely on length to help get the ball airborne in a lot of cases, I feel like a club that is 2-2.5 inches shorter than what the head is "designed" for would flatten out the flight too much, given that is the biggest knock on OL irons.

I hear ya, but I am not really seeing that. Yes, my 4 and 5 iron height is a little lower, but nothing that would be a detriment. I have also not had issues holding greens. Note: this is just what I am experiencing, others may be different.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Timbo, I am a left too. see my profile in signature. Ping K15 is 45.75 std, I think I've shortened to either 45 or 45.25. I was playing a TM SLDR Mini for a couple of years which is 43.5, so you could try one of those. Callaway Mini I think is 44" std. XTD Ti is 42.5 and the 7 wood is either 41 or 41.25. I am using Pinhawks and have the 4h (only hybrid available in lh) at 37". I bought the Pinhawk SL Hyb late last fall, really have not used it much. Hope to give it a work out this year. Any lh driver, fw or hyb with weight ports can be stuffed with cotton, yarn or twine to bring swing weight back up if you shorten. The issue you still have is when you shorten you change the lie angle and most driver/fw can't be bent. I've always hit fw better than irons, going to SL irons have been (well given my slight modification), my iron game is night and day.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

I guess I'm not seeing the elevation issues because my irons are all 37.5" long...and that's only .5" shorter than a 'standard' 5 iron.

I would suppose if my irons were all 36" long, it would make a difference for me.

Maybe y'all could stop being short?

:taunt: