HELP! Eye Position!!

EVandyEVandy Members Posts: 380 ✭✭
edited Dec 19, 2017 in Instruction & Academy #1
Hi all,

So i have been a relatively successful putter. Average around 30 putts a round with strokes gained putting -.5 for the fall season. I recently got on an eyeline putting mirror and noticed that my eyes are outside of the ball. I tried manipulating everything and could not get comfortable with my eyes inside or on the center line. Is it ok to have my eyes outside of the ball? Have there been any great putters on the pga tour with their eyes slightly (about an inch) outside of the ball? Thanks for all replies.
Titleist 917 D3 8.5*
Titleist 915 F 16.5*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Titleist 718 CB 4-P
Vokey SM6 Raw 52*, 56*, 60*
TP Mills Handmade Softtail
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hehateme2285hehateme2285 Members Posts: 110 ✭✭
    There may have been, but having your eyes outside the line is going to cause issues with alignment and stroke. But if you're a good putter and make enough, who cares?

If you do want to change, it's going to feel uncomfortable, but so does a grip change. You need to just hit putts over and over again until it feels comfortable.
    Callaway Epic SZ 9* with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    Exotics XCG 15* with Mitsubishi Fubuki 85x
    Adams Super DHY 21* with Proforce 85x
    Srixon 765 4-5 iron with Modus 125x
    Srixon 965 6-PW with Modus 125x
    Vokey SM7 52-08 F with Modus 125x, 56-10 S with DDTI S400, 60-04 L with DDTI S400
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,846 ✭✭
    just make sure your dominant eye is in the right place.I am left eye dominant and for decades been setting up open to bring my right eye into play...so I have been ffffed up>
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,293 ✭✭
    EVandy wrote:

Hi all,

So i have been a relatively successful putter. Average around 30 putts a round with strokes gained putting -.5 for the fall season. I recently got on an eyeline putting mirror and noticed that my eyes are outside of the ball. I tried manipulating everything and could not get comfortable with my eyes inside or on the center line. Is it ok to have my eyes outside of the ball? Have there been any great putters on the pga tour with their eyes slightly (about an inch) outside of the ball? Thanks for all replies.

There may have been, but having your eyes outside the line is going to cause issues with alignment and stroke. But if you're a good putter and make enough, who cares?

If you do want to change, it's going to feel uncomfortable, but so does a grip change. You need to just hit putts over and over again until it feels comfortable.

I generally agree with hehateme, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." In my view, there is a wide range of acceptable positions. Sure, if you were starting from ground zero, you should start with your eyes directly over the ball. But you're a competent putter, especially if you're gaining strokes on others in your handicap range. If you're consistently hitting your intended start line, that's all that really matters.
  • ferrispgmferrispgm Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭
    Do the 3 ball test. Line 3 balls up in a straight line from your address ball to the hole. Take your address and move around until the balls look to be in a straight line from address. If you need your eyes to be outside the address ball then so be it. Everyone is different. You can do a similar thing with a chalk line. I started getting back to this recently and my putting has improved dramatically
    Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
    FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
    54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
    58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
    Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.
  • mgm101990mgm101990 mgm101990 ClubWRX Posts: 120 ✭✭
    I'm in the same boat. noticed my eyes aren't even on the mirror. Would lengthening my putter bring my eyes closer in line to the club path?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file