HELP! Eye Position!!

EVandy ·  
EVandyEVandy Members  504WRX Points: 96Posts: 504 Golden Tee
Hi all,<br />
So i have been a relatively successful putter. Average around 30 putts a round with strokes gained putting -.5 for the fall season. I recently got on an eyeline putting mirror and noticed that my eyes are outside of the ball. I tried manipulating everything and could not get comfortable with my eyes inside or on the center line. Is it ok to have my eyes outside of the ball? Have there been any great putters on the pga tour with their eyes slightly (about an inch) outside of the ball? Thanks for all replies.
Posted:
Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS2 16.5*
Titleist 718 T-Mb 3
Titleist 718 CB 4-P
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
Mannkrafted Rattler
Ballistic Nylon Mackenzie 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hehateme2285hehateme2285 Members  110WRX Points: 72Posts: 110 Fairways
    There may have been, but having your eyes outside the line is going to cause issues with alignment and stroke. But if you're a good putter and make enough, who cares?<br />
    <br />
    If you do want to change, it's going to feel uncomfortable, but so does a grip change. You need to just hit putts over and over again until it feels comfortable.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ 9* with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    Exotics XCG 15* with Mitsubishi Fubuki 85x
    Adams Super DHY 21* with Proforce 85x
    Srixon 765 4-5 iron with Modus 125x
    Srixon 965 6-PW with Modus 125x
    Vokey SM7 52-08 F with Modus 125x, 56-10 S with DDTI S400, 60-04 L with DDTI S400
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members  3643WRX Points: 615Posts: 3,643 Titanium Tees
    just make sure your dominant eye is in the right place.I am left eye dominant and for decades been setting up open to bring my right eye into play...so I have been ffffed up>
    Posted:
    Ping G400 8.5 LST Ozik F6M2/EVO III FUJI
    Cobra LTD PRO Ozik TP6HD

Cobra F9 Avalanche 3/4 Atmos 7
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 5/6 Atmos 7
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 58 Modus 120
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
    2020 TOUR B XS
  • davep043davep043 Members  5033WRX Points: 2,238Handicap: 6.3Posts: 5,033 Titanium Tees
    EVandy wrote:
    <br />
    Hi all,<br />
    So i have been a relatively successful putter. Average around 30 putts a round with strokes gained putting -.5 for the fall season. I recently got on an eyeline putting mirror and noticed that my eyes are outside of the ball. I tried manipulating everything and could not get comfortable with my eyes inside or on the center line. Is it ok to have my eyes outside of the ball? Have there been any great putters on the pga tour with their eyes slightly (about an inch) outside of the ball? Thanks for all replies.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    There may have been, but having your eyes outside the line is going to cause issues with alignment and stroke. But if you're a good putter and make enough, who cares?<br />
    <br />
    If you do want to change, it's going to feel uncomfortable, but so does a grip change. You need to just hit putts over and over again until it feels comfortable.<br />
    <br />
    I generally agree with hehateme, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." In my view, there is a wide range of acceptable positions. Sure, if you were starting from ground zero, you should start with your eyes directly over the ball. But you're a competent putter, especially if you're gaining strokes on others in your handicap range. If you're consistently hitting your intended start line, that's all that really matters.
    Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• ferrispgmferrispgm Members  2120WRX Points: 293Posts: 2,120 Platinum Tees
    Do the 3 ball test. Line 3 balls up in a straight line from your address ball to the hole. Take your address and move around until the balls look to be in a straight line from address. If you need your eyes to be outside the address ball then so be it. Everyone is different. You can do a similar thing with a chalk line. I started getting back to this recently and my putting has improved dramatically
    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
    FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
    54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
    58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
    Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.
  • mgm101990mgm101990 mgm101990 Boston, MAClubWRX  148WRX Points: 50Handicap: 7Posts: 148 Fairways
    I'm in the same boat. noticed my eyes aren't even on the mirror. Would lengthening my putter bring my eyes closer in line to the club path?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.