M3 and M4 are junk

SomedayScratch

Anyone had the chance to hit the M3 and M4 demos? I did last week, and I do not like them at all. They look and feel cheap and don't feel good off the face. Switched back to my G30 and gained 15 yards and accuracy. Also tried out the G400 and hit that really well. I think the G400, M1, and M2 are superior clubs.

Anyone else get a chance to hit them? Thoughts?

EDIT: Sorry, "Junk" might have been a little aggressive lol, I just think they are way overhyped... The purpose of this post was to get your thoughts about the M3 and M4, my apologies if I offended anyone by calling them junk... Some seem offended. I used the term junk because they just feel cheap and weird to me. Maybe its the color scheme, maybe its how they feel at impact. Not sure. Just something doesn't seem right with these clubs.

Is that you, Mark Crossfield?

BTW, I am in Minnesota too, and instead of going to the golf show and hit 3 balls or going to a cage after 3 months of not hitting a ball in real conditions (you are the one who started a thread about "Hitting off mats... Terrible---Started by SomedayScratch, Jan 19 2018 08:11 AM", I take some days and go south to try the driver in real life.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve hit them, initial thoughts are decent. Didn’t love the sound/feel of the new drivers, but I don’t love the sound/feel of my M1 440 either. M3 I guess sounded a little better, but this was indoors and the sound will change outside. They aren’t any longer than my m1, just like the Rogue, Epic, g400, etc. I did make a few iffy swings at the beginning that felt like they’d hook to the far left of the screen, but they didn’t though. I found that interesting. I’ll test more later. The face tech isn’t new, just a variation of previous tech like Cobra/Adams drivers. Like years past it may or may not be an incremental improvement over previous models. It won’t magically make you straighter, it also won’t magically make you worse. I’ll test at length and see if the money is worth “x” amount of yards in length or dispersion as I do every year.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

I've had them both in the bag for a couple rounds and range sessions. They were just ok. Felt previous M2/M1 line was better and this year's M3/M4 isn't an improvement at all.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

M3 was a dud for me. Wanted to love it, have played TM drivers for at least 10 years. Really just didn't like it. I'll blame the fact that I hit the Rogue I tested the same day significantly straighter and further to the shaft each had in them, but the feel and sound of the M3 head left a lot to be desired for me unfortunately. I'll likely give it another shot later in the season, but didn't make me want to buy it immediately either.

Ordered an M3 last Friday and just was notified it's in the shop. Do I play tomorrow with a cold turkey driver or do I wait?!

You didn't buy it to look at it! Put it in play!

Hmmmm....where have I heard this song and dance before. I'm not even going to bother with M3/4 because the only difference between them and M1/2 is the colour and the marketing. They're no different and if you're buying a driver to replace anything newer that 2012 or so, you're only doing it because you like the new look or sound. I think deep down, most of you know a new big stick is not going to lower your handicap.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I don’t know if I’d go with junk. I hit M3,M4,Rogue and Rogue SZ at the driving range last weekend. I currently game a Epic SZ with a ADGP 6S. Really thought I’d like the Rogue since I could put my shaft in it. None of this years drivers were horrible. But I’m sticking with the Epic. There were no major yardage differences and i feel pretty comfortable with mine.

Gained a few MPH Ballspeed over my 2016 M2. Plenty forgiving (I have the 440CC Head) and paired with my Kiyoshi Black I hit high flat bombs that hit and ran.

OP is Fake News.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

I wouldn't say they are junk, If they were you would not see so many professionals adding them to the bag without hesitation. DJ, rory, rahm, longest on the tour making a switch. I feel nothing is perfect unless its perfectly fit for you. At this point, do you feel like there are going to be major changes? I can't see it. Yardage is already getting so maxed out. Its all about marketing, and looks. I do like the looks of the Rogue too. But I am a TM guy.

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-100s 4-W  Blackout

Titleist SM9 50.12F,56.12D,60.08M Blackout

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

The current 57% win rate for M3/M4 on the PGA Tour in 2018 would seem to indicate these drivers aren't junk, or at least that there is significant room for debate.

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

The current 57% win rate for M3/M4 on the PGA Tour in 2018 would seem to indicate these drivers aren't junk, or at least that there is significant room for debate.

But everyone knows that Tour issue TMade drivers are not the same as in the stores. :taunt:

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

But everyone knows that Tour issue TMade drivers are not the same as in the stores. :taunt:

Yeah, they have drivers that carry 120 yds further, and straight. They just wont sell them to us! :taunt:

Yeah, they have drivers that carry 120 yds further, and straight. They just wont sell them to us! :taunt:

And even the Tour Van ones you see on eBay, they take them apart and inject them with that special distance-killing sauce before they are sold off. Dastardly.

And even the Tour Van ones you see on eBay, they take them apart and inject them with that special distance-killing sauce before they are sold off. Dastardly.

Tour decommissioned ?

JP would not know. He’s still positive on his TM sldr 430 tp....it’s like a 100 TM releases ago...:(

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Tour decommissioned ?

The correct phrase is “tour preferred”

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

I ordered an M4 with Tensei White 70x, sight unseen, never even demoed it...upgrading from my Jetspeed/GBB drivers. I bet it'll be pretty sweet and I am pumped to get it. But the pro at my golf course "forgot to hit submit" on my order so instead of being here now, it will not be here until 3-21...ugh. Anyone w some TM connections want to get my order to the front of the line?

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

I still use a 2015 Callway Great Big Berth (The one Hideki uses). As a mater of fact, I have 2 of them. One I use for the range, which I have had since 2015, and the other I use specifically for playing rounds. The range one takes all the wear. They are GREAT drivers. I have tried every new driver. I have bought many of them. But they all end up on BST and eBay, because NONE of them are better than the 2015 GBB. The best thing any serious golfer can do is to use equipment that WORKS best for them, and not use equipment because it is the latest/greatest. Best advice... don't ever sell your current equipment until the honeymoon phase is over with the latest/greatest you bought to replace it. Chances are you will regret it.

My hybrids are over 10 years old now. My putter 8. Newest thing in my bag are my Maltby PTM irons and Wedges. NEVER thought I would play component irons. But here you have it. Great irons. Great looking, and they replaced the set of RocketBladez I had in the bag for 5 years.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

I ordered an M4 with Tensei White 70x, sight unseen, never even demoed it...upgrading from my Jetspeed/GBB drivers. I bet it'll be pretty sweet and I am pumped to get it. But the pro at my golf course "forgot to hit submit" on my order so instead of being here now, it will not be here until 3-21...ugh. Anyone w some TM connections want to get my order to the front of the line?

I'd cancel that order if i were you, unless you're getting some sort of discount.

Ordering direct through TM they're shipping out in 3-5 business days.

I loved the M3 with Tensei White 70 X! It was a beast for me and clearly out performed the Rogue SZ. However, everyone has a different opinion and the Rogue SZ Fairway worked better for me than the M3 or M4 Fairway. It’s strange how drivers and fairways are so different

TaylorMade SIM 9* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5
TaylorMade M6 14* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black HY 90 6.5
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4&5 KBS Tour C-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 6-PW KBS Tour C-Taper S
Mizuno T20 Raw 50-07, 54-08, 58-08 TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade TP Black Cooper Ardmore 3L
TaylorMadeTP5x

I agreed with you, it was a twist FAIL for me :). I like TM but not the M3 and M4, i have better numbers with GMAX and the new Cleveland HB. I think my 2016 M2 will be in the bag for a while.

:)

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

It's the Indian not the arrow.

Right... since I can hit a G30, G400, M2 really well... its my fault I can't hit the M3 well :)

It sure isn't the clubs fault, so take from that what you'd like.

Perhaps you two just aren't a match for each other. Did you hit the M3 w/ the same shaft as the others?

The shaft to shaft comparison is overrated... what shaft works well in one head may not be a great fit in another and I think only true fittings with each head will produce the best results for a person, but how many of us will actually do that? Most people are going to hit them in stock form, OTR, and decide to buy or not from there. When they see that the M3/4 don't help their misses as much as they hoped they can choose to pass or not. It's not the clubs that are junk, TM has made some winners in the past, it's their marketing claims that need to be trashed and maybe tried from a different approach IMO.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

The PGA Tour players that are not contracted by Taylormade are playing M3 or M4 with no problem! I don’t see many using Rogue as much as Taylormade!

TaylorMade SIM 9* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5
TaylorMade M6 14* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black HY 90 6.5
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4&5 KBS Tour C-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 6-PW KBS Tour C-Taper S
Mizuno T20 Raw 50-07, 54-08, 58-08 TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade TP Black Cooper Ardmore 3L
TaylorMadeTP5x