Pensacola

Going to add in 1-2 rounds on a work trip. Likely to play AC Read course but looking for other options. Willing to travel to mobile or gulf shores if worth the trip.

Comments

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,342 ✭✭
    edited Feb 22, 2018 #2
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • cjblake09cjblake09 Members Posts: 1,879 ✭✭
    Lost Key for sure.
  • eurekaiveurekaiv Members Posts: 47
    cjblake09 wrote:

Lost Key for sure.

Absolutely agree.
  • titaniumfrost302titaniumfrost302 brock Members Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Going to add in 1-2 rounds on a work trip. Likely to play AC Read course but looking for other options. Willing to travel to mobile or gulf shores if worth the trip.

AC Read’s a good choice. It’s been in great shape lately. CC of Brewton is always really nice and rarely busy. It’s about as far from Pensacola as Mobile.
  • progolferchprogolferch Members Posts: 498 ✭✭
    eurekaiv wrote:

cjblake09 wrote:

Lost Key for sure.

Played there last fall and it was a fun course in very good shape.

Absolutely agree.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,342 ✭✭
    cjblake09 wrote:

Lost Key for sure.

We called it Lost Ball. LOL.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • wcgolfwcgolf Members Posts: 571 ✭✭
    Sneak over and try Tiger Point. Course is looking good.
  • youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭

AC Read’s a good choice. It’s been in great shape lately. CC of Brewton is always really nice and rarely busy. It’s about as far from Pensacola as Mobile.
    Great recommendations. CC of Brewton is a fantastic choice, always in good shape, a little drive but not hard. AC Read has been in very good condition and is a load from the back tee (winter just leaving for new Bermuda growth).

Steelwood would be impossible to get on, very private, unless you have a big in. Kiva Dunes is a long drive. Lost Key (yep we call it lost ball) is good, but as mentioned, AC Read and CC of Brewton would be good choices. You may want to investigate Timber Creek as well, but not sure of conditions. Played Stonebrook not long ago and it was nice and not sure about Marcus Point, it's a good layout, but also not sure of conditions.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
  • hokiebird2008hokiebird2008 Members Posts: 26
    Thanks all. Great suggestions. Likely to try Lost Key since it is less than half the drive of Brewton.

Just curious what you consider a “big in” for steelwood. If it’s truly that spectacular I may have to add it to another future trip.
  • eurekaiveurekaiv Members Posts: 47

Thanks all. Great suggestions. Likely to try Lost Key since it is less than half the drive of Brewton.

Just curious what you consider a “big in” for steelwood. If it’s truly that spectacular I may have to add it to another future trip.

I think you'll like Lost Key... here's a couple pics from my round there last October.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/873082-share-your-personal-course-pictures/page__st__1440#entry16572076
  • youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭
    edited Feb 26, 2018 #12

Just curious what you consider a "big in" for steelwood. If it's truly that spectacular I may have to add it to another future trip.
    I've played it twice, both during Dixie Section Pro-Am's, but what I meant was it's very private. Never said it was "spectacular" in fact I found it OK at best.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
  • bnp144bnp144 Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Just got back from this exact trip. Played Tiger Point, Hidden Creek, Windswept Dunes, and Kelly Plantation.

Order of Niceness...... Windswept, Kelly, Hidden, Tiger.

Order of Layout..... Kelly, Windswept, Tiger, Hidden

Order of Price (Expensive to none)...... Windswept, Kelly, Hidden, Tiger

My mother in law lives on Tiger so I am used to it. It has the best views in my opinion. The greens at all 4 were good. The tee boxes at Tiger leave a lot to be desired. In terms of closeness for you its probably going to be Tiger or Hidden they are about 15 from each other. Windswept was definitely in BFE and Kelly is in Destin. Hope you enjoy it. Really enjoyed ourselves this past weekend.
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Members Posts: 3,021 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

cjblake09 wrote:

Lost Key for sure.

We called it Lost Ball. LOL.

Others have already mentioned, but do bring a reserve of ammo to Lost Key.
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • Tag56Tag56 Members Posts: 94 ✭✭
    My in-laws rent the same place on Navarre beach every year and I have gone a few times and played hidden creek. It has been great every time I have played it. Last time I played Tiger was probably 4 or 5 years ago and it was in rough shape.
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5* Project X HZRDUS Smoke 6.[font=times new roman,times,serif]5 X[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]3-wood: Taylormade 2016 M2 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]2-hybrid: Titleist 913H 17* set to 18.75. Project x 6.5.[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4, 718 MB 5-pw. DG X100[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Wedges: Titleist SM7 52*, 56*, and 60*.[/font] KBS tour 120
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey. [/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Ball: Titleist ProV1X[/font]
    [/font]
  • lspky_muskielspky_muskie Members Posts: 920 ✭✭
    Headed to Perdidio Key in 2 weeks.

How hard is it to get on the base to play AC Read now? We tried two years ago, and it was a nightmare and our group swore we'd never go back.

The guy who makes out tee times for golf scheduled Lost Ball the first day we are there, and a lot of us want a more gentle first round. Looking at AC Read or Glen Lakes out in Foley.
  • hwturner17hwturner17 Members Posts: 368 ✭✭
    It's still a nightmare if you don't have base access credentials. I recommend giving yourself a minimum of 30 minutes and a mile of patience prior to your round at AC Reed. They've changed up some of the security protocol and you'll need to fill out some paperwork before they'll let you in. I'm not sure what kind of shape it's in at the moment, but it looks like someone previously said it's in good shape. Can't beat the views. A lot of the courses in town are starting to look at lot better now that everything is growing and it's getting hotter.

Lost Key, Tiger Point, RTJ in Mobile, Glen Lakes are all great choices. If you have an in at Pensacola Country Club that would be nice as well. Hope you enjoy it! It's hot as **** right now
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus
    FW: Ping Anser 4 wood
    Irons: Ping i210 4-U
    Wedges: 54/58 Raw Hi-Toes
    Putter: Odyssey #7

Ball: revolving door
  • JsameMJsameM The Dude Abides Members Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I’d go to kiva dunes or peninsula. Rock creek isn’t bad either. Peninsula has 2 courses and both are usually lush and Kiva Dunes is tough but a very enjoyable round.
    TaylorMade M2 9.5* (2017), Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 Flex 65g
    TaylorMade M2 HL 16.5*, (2017), Project X HZRDS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20*, Fujikura Pro Hybrid 83g X
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4i, Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S 86g
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 5-PW, KBS Tour X
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 50*.12, 54*.10, KBS Tour X
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*.10, KBS Tour V Wedge
    TP Mills Custom Ming Flow Neck
  • lspky_muskielspky_muskie Members Posts: 920 ✭✭
    Sounds like we'll skip AC Reed. Is it that much of a hassle to get to the museum too?

We're playing Kiva, Craft Farms, Lost Ball, Peninsula, Pedido Bay, and Gulf Shores. Should be a nice trip even if it will be hot and sticky.
  • hokiebird2008hokiebird2008 Members Posts: 26
    Museum is actually easy to get to if you use the back gate and not the main gate. The back gate allows visitors to the museum before you hit another checkpoint where DOD credentials are required.