2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Everyone is a big hitter on the forum

Kevinx

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tour driving average this morning, 295.1.....70 or so averaging over 300

Is that carry only or does it include roll too? On most courses they play, they get a lot of roll.

Carry averages are typically only around 273-280 range. I think average driver swing speed on tour is 112-113. This was a few years ago, my numbers were always just above average according to guys at Ping when I'd get fit in AZ.

This idea that if you've rarely played with anyone who hits it 300+, so most people on this site who claim to hit it that far on this forum are lying is a pretty flawed argument. Even if you play as a single and get paired up with a bunch of different people, statistically, 1.6% of golfers have a 0 index or better, so it's going to be pretty rare to come across people who are at that level (and generally, a lot of those people are going to hit the ball a long way), so it may seem like almost no one is that long. But WRX is skewed toward more avid players, and it's a higher concentration of good players.

I've played with probably 20-30 or so WRXers, and it hasn't been uncommon to find guys who hit the ball 300+, including one guy who routinely carries it over 300. I also play in tournaments and on a match play team with exclusively low single digit to plus handicap players, and it's unusual to not be in a group where at least one other guy hits it in the neighborhood of me or farther.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

This idea that if you've rarely played with anyone who hits it 300+, so most people on this site who claim to hit it that far on this forum are lying is a pretty flawed argument. Even if you play as a single and get paired up with a bunch of different people, statistically, 1.6% of golfers have a 0 index or better, so it's going to be pretty rare to come across people who are at that level (and generally, a lot of those people are going to hit the ball a long way), so it may seem like almost no one is that long. But WRX is skewed toward more avid players, and it's a higher concentration of good players.

I've played with probably 20-30 or so WRXers, and it hasn't been uncommon to find guys who hit the ball 300+, including one guy who routinely carries it over 300. I also play in tournaments and on a match play team with exclusively low single digit to plus handicap players, and it's unusual to not be in a group where at least one other guy hits it in the neighborhood of me or farther.

Hello,

I'm not certain you are addressing my post, but I believe you are. I think we are actually in agreement and you have read something into my post I did not intend. In no place did I state that I question distance claims on a forum of committed golfers. Rather I was just stating that in my experience about 4-5% of the golfers I meet out on courses hit it 300 plus. This season it could be 8% or 2%, but it's not common. And about half of those I did meet that could hit it that far were hitting it to bad places very far away.

So, I made no claim whatsoever that anyone here is lying.

Maybe my claim was 4-5% on average can drive the ball that far. I did play with some WRX's last season. At least 5 that I know of, as they mentioned it and told me to join. All 5 of those cats were fine players, and two of them did hit it 280 plus.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Hello,

I'm not certain you are addressing my post, but I believe you are. I think we are actually in agreement and you have read something into my post I did not intend. In no place did I state that I question distance claims on a forum of committed golfers. Rather I was just stating that in my experience about 4-5% of the golfers I meet out on courses hit it 300 plus. This season it could be 8% or 2%, but it's not common. And about half of those I did meet that could hit it that far were hitting it to bad places very far away.

Maybe my claim was 4-5% on average can drive the ball that far. I did play with some WRX's last season. At least 5 that I know of, as they mentioned it and told me to join. All 5 of those cats were fine players, and two of them did hit it 280 plus.

Living in the state of hockey, very common to see people with very high swing speed as is a trait not only of golfers but for hockey players, and even for baseball players, especially if they harness their swings. So 300+ is common.

Playing with a group of people who gamble everything in every hole. So having a longest tee shot in 14 holes forces the group to hit long (at some point is not about enjoyment and leisure, but competition). Very common then some 300+, even if they are not looking for precision at the tee.

Playing with high school golfers that take routine classes with a teacher that has trackman and optimizes their equipment. Very common 300+.

If you still want to see long hitter coming in droves, try to go to a demo day (either sponsored by a manufacturer or a store like Golf Galaxy) where they promise a new driver to the longest hit. You will see many 300+.

Where you won’t see many long drives is on senior leagues, or in courses where players play old equipment or where drinking is promoted more than competition. I played as a single in a snow bird course in Florida, and you can see in the next picture, I was not expecting to see a 300 yd drive.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Is that carry only or does it include roll too? On most courses they play, they get a lot of roll.

That's total distance. Higher end of ball speed on tour is 180 most guys don't carry the ball 300, Only the longest hitters on tour. I compete in LD and the top 2 in the finals last yr both had ball speeds on TM over 225. That's speed so if you ever hear anyone say the PGA tour guys hit it just as far as long drive pros just because DJ or Rory hit it downwind down hill on a pool table fairway you can tell them they are full of s*** and don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Hello,

Living in the state of hockey, very common to see people with very high swing speed as is a trait not only of golfers but for hockey players, and even for baseball players, especially if they harness their swings. So 300+ is common.

Playing with a group of people who gamble everything in every hole. So having a longest tee shot in 14 holes forces the group to hit long (at some point is not about enjoyment and leisure, but competition). Very common then some 300+, even if they are not looking for precision at the tee.

Playing with high school golfers that take routine classes with a teacher that has trackman and optimizes their equipment. Very common 300+.

If you still want to see long hitter coming in droves, try to go to a demo day (either sponsored by a manufacturer or a store like Golf Galaxy) where they promise a new driver to the longest hit. You will see many 300+.

Where you won’t see many long drives is on senior leagues, or in courses where players play old equipment or where drinking is promoted more than competition. I played as a single in a snow bird course in Florida, and you can see in the next picture, I was not expecting to see a 300 yd drive.

Again, I'm not saying that there are not people that hit the ball 300 yards. I've seen them. And one very long hitter I know was a very good hockey player. And, I was not questioning if people on this forum average 300 yards. I don't question things when I have absolutely no facts to support them. It's a Sun Tzu thing.

What I was saying is that I play with a lot of people and from the broad demographic of that group of people and on lots of high quality courses, public and private, I estimate about 4-5% of the people can hit it 300. I stand by that number, as it's supported by a lot of observation.

For people that play most often with a peer group from this forum, 300 might be the norm. Those guys are out there. I played with a college team player last summer that 300 wasn't even an afterthought (the kid swung just like Johnny Miller to boot...hit a 3 iron 232 over water).

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

That's total distance. Higher end of ball speed on tour is 180 most guys don't carry the ball 300, Only the longest hitters on tour. I compete in LD and the top 2 in the finals last yr both had ball speeds on TM over 225. That's speed so if you ever hear anyone say the PGA tour guys hit it just as far as long drive pros just because DJ or Rory hit it downwind down hill on a pool table fairway you can tell them they are full of s*** and don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Yes, at most venues they get a tremendous amount of roll. I remember watching a rain soaked event a couple of years ago...I think it was the Farmers...saw a lot of drives in the 275 - 285 range.

Hello,

Again, I'm not saying that there are not people that hit the ball 300 yards. I've seen them. And one very long hitter I know was a very good hockey player. And, I was not questioning if people on this forum average 300 yards. I don't question things when I have absolutely no facts to support them. It's a Sun Tzu thing.

What I was saying is that I play with a lot of people and from the broad demographic of that group of people and on lots of high quality courses, public and private, I estimate about 4-5% of the people can hit it 300. I stand by that number, as it's supported by a lot of observation.

For people that play most often with a peer group from this forum, 300 might be the norm. Those guys are out there. I played with a college team player last summer that 300 wasn't even an afterthought (the kid swung just like Johnny Miller too boot...hit a 3 iron 232 over water).

I don't play a whole lot where I'm paired up with strangers, probably not more than four or five times in the last couple of years.

I'm not a long hitter, but maybe a bit longer than average. I touch the 300 range on occasion (gps and wrx'er verified), out of those paired up rounds I've had three guys who were hitting it past me when I hit it well. One of them quite a bit. I just think with the equipment and all, long hitters aren't all that uncommon.

Hello,

I was responding to the OP—He mentioned not playing with many people who hit it long, and I wanted to make the point that anecdotal experience playing with the general golfing population isn’t necessarily applicable to the more obsessive WRX community.

TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

So we all agree that for the normal golfer, 5pct is a good round number.

So what pct of Wrxers drive 300 yards?

Do 90pct of Wrxers drive 300?

50pct?

I'm gonna look at the pga tour for guidance. What pct of those guys average 300?

See there- is the question "can drive 300," or "average 300?" I think if you claim to hit it 300, you'd better get there more than that one time off a sprinkler head.

So - what pct of tour players avg over 300? Maybe 20pct?

So maybe less than 20pct of Wrxers avg less than 300. I know this is a stellar group, but does anyone here think the 300 avg is better than the Pga tour?

I don't. No offense.

So I think it's possible 10pct of Wrxers are real 300 yard guys.

I'd love to hear from the "wrx is comprised of elite players so the average must be much much higher" advocates to hear an estimated percentage of how many Wrxers they think hit 300 without creative circumstances.

So we all agree that for the normal golfer, 5pct is a good round number.

So what pct of Wrxers drive 300 yards?

Do 90pct of Wrxers drive 300?

50pct?

I'm gonna look at the pga tour for guidance. What pct of those guys average 300?

See there- is the question "can drive 300," or "average 300?" I think if you claim to hit it 300, you'd better get there more than that one time off a sprinkler head.

So - what pct of tour players avg over 300? Maybe 20pct?

So maybe less than 20pct of Wrxers avg less than 300. I know this is a stellar group, but does anyone here think the 300 avg is better than the Pga tour?

I don't. No offense.

So I think it's possible 10pct of Wrxers are real 300 yard guys.

I'd love to hear from the "wrx is comprised of elite players so the average must be much much higher" advocates to hear an estimated percentage of how many Wrxers they think hit 300 without creative circumstances.

A poll was taken here and 4% said they carry the ball 300 yards.

I think people are talking about 3 different things here.

To me "hitting the ball 300 yards" is not exactly the same as "averaging over 300 yards" and is a completely different thing than carrying the ball 300 yards. Hitting it 300 means to me that you have the swing speed to get it out over 300 yards on a well-struck drive in normal conditions (i.e. not soaking wet and 40 degrees)--maybe 1 in 4 balls goes 300 is the threshold. AVERAGING 300 yards probably means that your mishits are still 280+ and your pokes are 320+. CARRYING the ball 300 yards is HARD. Requires a minimum of a 120mph swing speed (and would need some crazy-optimized numbers at 120mph: 10*+ launch with 2000 or less RPM). Probably more likely that you are swinging well into the 120mphs.

From experience I'd guess that the % who "hit it 300yds" is maybe about 5%, those who AVERAGE 300yds probably more like 2%, and those carrying it over 300 yards well under 1% (keep in mind that few even on the PGA tour average that kind of carry). I'm in the first group--well-struck drive around 275 carry in normal conditions and maybe 3ish drives a round that run out past 300. I'd say I average more like 280-285 yards. I play with very few people who would routinely outdrive me over the course of a round, though obviously they do exist. I've only ever played with 2 people who I've seen carry the ball over 300 yards: one was Monte during a clinic, and one was Charl Schwartzel on a downhill drive from an elevated teebox during a pro-am (even he doesn't average 300 of carry, despite being in the top 25 on the PGA tour in clubhead speed last year).

I'd guess based on my experience playing with various WRXers in both Michigan and California, as well as participating in the Gear Trials driver test in 2016 that about 20% of WRXers can occasionally get one out there 300+ without crazy altitude/cement fairway/100 ft downhill/50mph tailwind conditions. 10% hit it 300+ regularly (more than a couple times per round), and 2% average 300+.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Some people bomb it. Some people lie. Some people are haters bc they can't bomb it.

I’m guessing you catch more than a few a hair thin? If you improve your AOA you’ll probably get 15 more yards of carry. Good baseline if that’s your controlled driver swing.

Was in trying to get AoA to + or level. And working with M1 to get my spin down. I fade the ball so those -3 and -4 AOA were creating way too much spin, as you can see. But smash factors were acceptable, not all 1.50+ but pretty flush. Working on it.

Youre averaging above 1.45 which is awesome/excellent and from the spin #s i figured you hit a cut. This is awesome because youre an instructors wet dream for a student!! believe it or not if you get your AOA to at least level consistently your spin will drop dramatically. Youd feel its the opposite but its not. Have you tweeked your ball position a litlle to see your #s? Id be curious if you moved your ball half a ball forward.Great stuff thanks for sharing!!! and keep up the great work

You are spot on, I play a cut 99% of the time. And I struggle getting the ball far enough up towards my left foot in my stance. Which leads to those steep AoAs and slight swipe, and definitely have noticed what happens when I get to level or just into the + with the AoA, the numbers are amazing haha. Definitely need an instructor at this point, haven't had a lesson in about 14 or so years (28yrs old now) need to shallow out a bit more out of the top and its money. We'll see how this season goes!

• 1 month later...

It's in face to face situations as well that players claim they hit it longer than they do. Go out to any green at any course. Where are most of the ball marks? Front of the green. Watch you and your foursomes approaches into greens. how often do they error on the side of short? There are tons of guys out there who claim to hit it longer than they do. Do the math. If your hole is 380 straight away, and you have 150 left, you aren't knocking it out there with the tour pros...

Titleist TSR3 8* - Graphite Design IZ X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX X

Titleist T200 3i - Fujikura Ventus Black 8 TX

Titleist 680 CB 4-PW - True Temper DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*/54*/58* True Temper DG Tour Issue S300

Scotty Cameron JetSet Newport 2

~ Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you deal with it ~

Its tough to not give people the benefit of the doubt. If someone says they can drive it 300 yards, then I trust that they're telling me the truth. I was paired with a guy once and on the first tee, he was looking at the people in front of us and said he should wait. I looked down there and had to think they were at least 350 away. When it came time to tee off, he skied one into the other fairway. Two holes later, he drove the green on a 375 yard par 4. It doglegged to the left and he cut the corner but he still drove it well over 300. Honestly, the majority of big hitters that I've played with, like that guy, weren't that good. They all shot in the 90s or 100s. Then I have a buddy that tees off with a 3 wood on every hole. Hits it straight about 225 and is a 5 handicap. Thats why I still believe in the outdated mantra of "drive for show, putt for dough." Most of the single handicappers I know don't drive it all that far, but they're magic around the greens and with a flatstick.

JP never avg 300 yards, no way. But usually he’ll hit one to four 300 yards. Last round, 301,311,314. Week before only one, 327, but there was a tailwind behind it. Week b4 that, 2. He attributes it to his connection with his new used TM sldr. Hit it well so far this year. Interesting to see what tomorrow brings...he’s putted like a moron of late. Three three putts from less than 30? Ruins the scorecard. Not playing smart.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Recently played at Whirlwind in AZ and a buddy brought his friend who declared that he can hit it 300 yards when he "needs to". Now, he's like 6'3 and he can play so not knocking his game and he routinely out drove me that day (I'm only 5'8 and about 10 yrs older). So we hit a couple of drives on a par 5 and he out drives me by about 5-10 yards and declares that he had just hit a 300 yard drive. So we tee'd of next to the hole sign so I get out my laser and it shows that I drove it 260, so we can all do the quick math and realize that he didn't drive it 300.

Not saying he can do it, just saying it's a lot harder and longer than most people think.

Recently played at Whirlwind in AZ and a buddy brought his friend who declared that he can hit it 300 yards when he "needs to". Now, he's like 6'3 and he can play so not knocking his game and he routinely out drove me that day (I'm only 5'8 and about 10 yrs older). So we hit a couple of drives on a par 5 and he out drives me by about 5-10 yards and declares that he had just hit a 300 yard drive. So we tee'd of next to the hole sign so I get out my laser and it shows that I drove it 260, so we can all do the quick math and realize that he didn't drive it 300.

Not saying he can do it, just saying it's a lot harder and longer than most people think.

I had a friend (may he Rest In Peace) who was pretty much an expert on everything. Including golf (about an 18 with a nasty slice). But one thing he said that I believe he was right about was, "most people don't know how far 300 yards really is".

Another thing to keep in mind is also lots of golfers have no clue how far they actually hit each club in their bag. How many times have you played with a stranger, who's just your average golfer and at the 150 yrd par 3, he pulls out his 8 iron and the ball ends up 10 yrds short.

Or my all time favorite, the guy and his buddy at the driving range who neither would break 100 on the course but you hear one of them say "I really got a hold of that one, if we weren't using range balls that would easily be over 300". When in reality he'd be lucky to fly it 225.

This. At the range on Tuesday there was a guy a couple stalls away. He was hitting driver about 200 yds carry, maybe 220 total if lucky; low flight and really short hang time. But he would stand there, shielding his eyes from the non-existent sun's rays (it was cloudy) and would peer off into the distance like the ball had 15 seconds hang time. Every time. He must have thought he was getting 290 carry. LMAO, it was good entertainment.

Another thing to keep in mind is also lots of golfers have no clue how far they actually hit each club in their bag. How many times have you played with a stranger, who's just your average golfer and at the 150 yrd par 3, he pulls out his 8 iron and the ball ends up 10 yrds short.

Or my all time favorite, the guy and his buddy at the driving range who neither would break 100 on the course but you hear one of them say "I really got a hold of that one, if we weren't using range balls that would easily be over 300". When in reality he'd be lucky to fly it 225.

This. At the range on Tuesday there was a guy a couple stalls away. He was hitting driver about 200 yds carry, maybe 220 total if lucky; low flight and really short hang time. But he would stand there, shielding his eyes from the non-existent sun's rays (it was cloudy) and would peer off into the distance like the ball had 15 seconds hang time. Every time. He must have thought he was getting 290 carry. LMAO, it was good entertainment.

I see a little bit of everything at ranges down here. I've seen guys who can legit pound the cover off a ball over and over again, to guys who carry it 190 on a good day (the latter is more common), but my absolute favorite are these guys. If you hit it 190 off the tee, cool, play your game. If you hit it 300 off the tee, awesome. If you hit it 205 off the tee with a low flying slice, we've no need for the photo finish desperately hoping no one actually saw where that ball went. I've seen a few who would only hit a ball when someone else did, then proceed to watch the other guy's ball as if it were their own. Those are golden moments one must simply stop to appreciate.

LOL, never seen that GatorNate. But there are quite a few guys here that have the worst possible swing but prance around like they're Dustin Johnson.

On the good side there is a young kid here that is probably 140 lbs soaking wet. He crushes it. I've seen him hit it over the net 290 yards out, it's about 30 yards high too. But he has no short game. Love watching him hit balls. The sound and the flight have me shaking my head in amazement.