Golf Equipment is Funny

mcgeec79mcgeec79 mcgeec79Posts: 177
This sport is crazy. I went to get fitted for a new driver today. From research and hitting in a bay I was certain I’d end up with Ping G400 in 9.5 with probably regular flex at 44.5 inches. I hit 5 different setups with my club fitter Curtis at Leatherman Golf here in Charlotte. I walked out with a Titleist 917 D3 with Diamana Blue 60 In stiff flex set at B2. That club wasn’t even on my radar due to perceived lack of forgiveness. That setup blew the G400, Rogue, M3, and M4 out of the water. I had best contact and numbers by a wide margin with the 917. Crazy how it works out and **** make sure you get fit. I was leaving 10 yards of carry on the table with what I thought was my ideal setup.

Comments

• widow-makerwidow-maker Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    edited Feb 24, 2018 #2
    You're right... golf equipment is funny. Next week, you might have been fit into a different driver because you came into the store with a slightly different swing. You never really ever catch it but you chase it all year round.
  • mcgeec79mcgeec79 mcgeec79 Posts: 177
    Exactly, I had probably my B+ level swing today so it was interesting on the combo. When I hit it with a few A+ swings I was floored with the carry and ball speed on Trackman. Even my miss hits were solid so hopefully I have the one!
  • ABOsborn20ABOsborn20 Members Posts: 55
    Sometimes I wonder if you should just play what your mind wants to play. As amateurs our swing is not anywhere near the consistency of the pros. Golf is about confidence. If you feel confident before a short chances are you will hit it well.
  • chisagchisag Members Posts: 2,905 ✭✭
    edited Feb 24, 2018 #5
    mcgeec79 wrote:

This sport is crazy. I went to get fitted for a new driver today. From research and hitting in a bay I was certain I’d end up with Ping G400 in 9.5 with probably regular flex at 44.5 inches. I hit 5 different setups with my club fitter Curtis at Leatherman Golf here in Charlotte. I walked out with a Titleist 917 D3 with Diamana Blue 60 In stiff flex set at B2. That club wasn’t even on my radar due to perceived lack of forgiveness. That setup blew the G400, Rogue, M3, and M4 out of the water. I had best contact and numbers by a wide margin with the 917. Crazy how it works out and **** make sure you get fit. I was leaving 10 yards of carry on the table with what I thought was my ideal setup.

... I played with a guy who won several times on the Florida Mini Tours and he had an Epic in his bag that he rarely played. His ideal set up according to LM fitting was the Epic and right behind that was the Titleist D3. He said the Epic was 10-15yds longer than his 915 D3. He spins his D3 around 2700 compared to around 2200 with the Epic and loses yards with the Titleist, but he is much more accurate. High trajectory and very straight. We were playing a practice round and he hit the Epic on 3 holes just bombing it on the first 2 then hit a cut 40 yds OB right. He said "That's why the Titleist is in my bag" and was done hitting the Epic for the day.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Atmos Blue TS 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F6 Baffler ... Kuro Kage Black 75s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* 2 iron... HZRDUS Black 85hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P790 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • SolidstrikeSolidstrike Members Posts: 301
    Congrats on the great fitting! It’s incredible the crazy amounts of shaft, head, setting options available. You never know what works best until you visit a truly professional fitter.
    Callaway XR Pro 9.5
    Titleist 915 F2 15
    Titleist 913F 19
    Mizuno MP 57
    Mizuno T7 50
    Mizuno T7 55
    Callaway PM 60
    Odyssey #1
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Posts: 1,806 ✭✭
    I often look at whats in the bag and laugh. Clubs are funny.
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,360 ✭✭

You're right... golf equipment is funny. Next week, you might have been fit into a different driver because you came into the store with a slightly different swing. You never really ever catch it but you chase it all year round.
    exactly.....one day is one day, can't even count how many times this has been true......don't even hit em in stores anymore.....take em to course for 10 rds and than judge
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭
    mcgeec79 wrote:

Congrats on the fitting, and kudos for not sticking to the preconceived ideal driver, and going with the numbers. That was a very expensive lesson for me to learn.
    WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60g
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne (adjusted to 32")
    Snell MTB Black
  • sbboudreausbboudreau FORE RIGHT! Members Posts: 733
    edited Feb 25, 2018 #10
    mcgeec79 wrote:
    You didn’t state what loft. Because higher loft seems to be what is getting more yardage, at least on tour.
    (8) "Wee" Scot Putters, Model 1W, 4W, 5W, P15, P170, 180, Balata Face Insert(x2)
    1926 MacGregor MASTER Hickory Driver, Ivory SCRULOC Face Inserts
    Early Hickory Peter McEwan of Nairn, Putting Cleek Rustless
    79/80 Titleist Tour Model Woods(D,3,4,5) & Irons(2-PW) Matching Serial #'s
    Titleist Tour Model Flange Putter (2, 34" & 35")
    98 PING ISI Nickel Irons Red(2-PW), (HELP! missing 5 & 7)
    Go To Set
    07 PING G-10 Irons, Yellow, (3 & 4 Hy, 5-SW)
    2013 Callaway X2 HOT 10.5 Driver
    2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5 Fairway
    2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 5 Deep 18.5 Fairway