Another VS post...I'm sorry.... MP64 vs Srixon Z 745 or whatever

supashu

I currently hit MP64s and they are fantastic... when hit flush. And I am typically a decent ball striker (3 hdcp). But they are getting pretty worn out and ugly. And being a long time club ho (#wrx4life) I'm wanting something else going in to this season. I had a post previously about moving on from the 64s and most of the recommendations were from other Mizuno junkies saying MP5 or MP4. However, I have ZERO allegiance to Mizuno...

With that being said... I have hit just about everything there is and I'm a fan of forged cavity irons. Favorite irons ever were Tourstage Z101's. (though we only remember the good times and good shots not the bad). I've read a lot about the Srixon irons (but have not hit them) and I like that they are Endo forged and from what I have read they sound terrific. And it would appear that the 745 was considered better than the 765? (assuming it has the desired shaft, which is ridiculous to me as any iron can be reshafted). And either Srixon model can be found on the bay for relatively cheap compared to fancy new irons.

The MP64 is obviously great and solid and does what it's told. But it is not forgiving in the least. I mean kinda... but not really. Would love to find something that feels as good or better with slightly more forgiveness. Anyone compared the GOAT Mizuno MP64 against the Srixon irons?

Help, advice, guidance, trash talking, or lots of words with little substance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

another typical club ho

Ping G400 LST 9* - Diamana Kai'li 70x
Ping G30 14.5* - UST VTS Silver 7F5
Adams DHY Pro 18* - Aldila Proto 95x
Srixon Z545 4i - UST Recoil 110 F5
Srixon Z785 5-PW - Modus 120x
Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0  - DG S400
Tommy Armour 845 DLT Todd Sones
Srixon Z Star

"Dont play too much golf. Two rounds per day is plenty." - Harry Vardon

"Every day that I missed practicing takes me one day longer to be good." Ben Hogan

I’m glad u said mp64 are not forgiving. I know it’s all subjective but I found the long irons fairly unforgiving! I didn’t like the look of the short irons. The mid irons 6/7 were pretty much perfect in every way, but the overall set didn’t really work for me.

I’ve now got the ap2 718. However there’s obviously loads of options depending on where you want to sit on the spectrum for different features of a club and I don’t believe there’s a club out there that is 10/10 in every department of feel, forgiveness, looks, playability etc. The ap2s seemed to be a good all rounder, and I use tmb in the 3&4 iron.

I think the 745s (or 765s, whichever suits your eye) would be a good change from the 64s.

I played the 64s and have hit the 745s, and I think the Srixons are easier to hit. No idea why, but there you are.

Another one to consider would be the Bridgestone CBs, for example the TourX CB.

Lots of good options out there.

Owned some 745 clubs as part of a 545/745 combo set. And I had a brief flirtation with the MP64. IMO, the 745 was significantly more forgiving on mishits. Just let you get away with more. Great irons. I found the MP64 a little harsh on thin shots or anything toward the toe.

As far as the 745 vs 765, both have their devotees. I liked the shape of the 745 more, liked the sole of the 765 more. You should get a look at both to see which you prefer. They will play about the same. I look at the sole more than the topline or back of the club because it hits the ground on every shot and it has to work for me. Good luck.

Srixons are high quality, as strong as anything out there.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I lived in Japan for a couple of years recently. The shops there had lots of little used Srixon (and Tourstage) iron sets for sale. I asked the manager at the local shop I would frequent about that one time. He smiled and said, "Ah, Srixon, very beautiful but hard to hit..." I was playing MP-64 at the time with the same handicap that you currently carry...

With your handicap you can play anything and it will not likely affect your score a lot but if you really want a "not the latest" forged cavity back I'd look at the Titleist 716 CB with the tungsten inserts or perhaps the previous iteration of Callaway X-Forged that folks still rave about.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Owned some 745 clubs as part of a 545/745 combo set. And I had a brief flirtation with the MP64. IMO, the 745 was significantly more forgiving on mishits. Just let you get away with more. Great irons. I found the MP64 a little harsh on thin shots or anything toward the toe.

As far as the 745 vs 765, both have their devotees. I liked the shape of the 745 more, liked the sole of the 765 more. You should get a look at both to see which you prefer. They will play about the same. I look at the sole more than the topline or back of the club because it hits the ground on every shot and it has to work for me. Good luck.

Srixons are high quality, as strong as anything out there.

Agree. I tried the MP64 for brief period when I wanted something more forgiving than the MP69. To me, the MP64 weren't that much more forgiving and didn't last long. The 745s are in a league of their own. Extremely forgiving, especially thin. I'm surprised at how much I get away with on thin hits. I love the sole design.

The 745s are the holy grail of irons for me. Compact, very forgiving, best sole design out and tremendous feel.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

I lived in Japan for a couple of years recently. The shops there had lots of little used Srixon (and Tourstage) iron sets for sale. I asked the manager at the local shop I would frequent about that one time. He smiled and said, "Ah, Srixon, very beautiful but hard to hit..." I was playing MP-64 at the time with the same handicap that you currently carry...

With your handicap you can play anything and it will not likely affect your score a lot but if you really want a "not the latest" forged cavity back I'd look at the Titleist 716 CB with the tungsten inserts or perhaps the previous iteration of Callaway X-Forged that folks still rave about.

I have not played the 64s, but own a set of 745s and the 716 cbs... both are incredible irons but the CB are a little smaller overall, not by much. They also show a little more offset than the 745s but have a thinner sole and top line. The leading edge is beveled which I think every iron should have... Compared to the CB the 745s are a little more forgiving looking which I like but the top line is just a little too chunky looking for me right now. Both are fantastic irons, overall and I don't think you'd be upset with either... I didn't think anything could touch the 745s in terms of feel but the CBs are right up there.

Another one to look for may be the J40 CB (hard to find) or like mentioned the J15. The new Wilson V6 are also VERY good and extremely underrated.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

The Ben Hogan PTx may fit the bill! About the same size as the z765 but with better feel in my opinion

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

• 3 weeks later...

I have both sets and tend to use the 64's once the season settles in. The 745's are easily comparable to the 64s. If you look at PGA WITBs the 745 sees many users! The sole design surprises in soft conditions. The 745 have a tungsten toe insert that may slightly aid toe strikes. All in all if my 64's died tomorrow the 745s would be in play as there is nothing else as interesting, forgiving nor more playable in a form that fits my eye.

Beginning my third season with the 745's and would part with them for the right offer.

Currently have KBS Tour R+ all standard with NEW Lamkin Players Cord Standard + 4-P

Good luck with your next set.

• Like 1

Man, I have gone through the exact same predicament that you are in.....Even down to the Tourstage z101s, which I am currently bagging. Over the last 2 years ive had:

• 745s
  • 545s
  • 945s
  • Then a combo of all three
  • Cobra King cb/mb combo
  • Mp64
  • Mp4
  • Then a combo of both of those
  • Nike VPC and VR forged blades
  • Bstone j15 CB

Wow, I have an issue. I was always trying to find the perfect iron to replace the ole trusty z101. Unfortunately, I hate to tell you, nothing can replace those. BUT there is good news. The z745s are amazing, I wish I would have kept them, followed by the bstone j15 cbs. The only irons I have kept from the above list are the VR Blades because,....well, Tiger.....Oh and they are amazing. But to answer your question, here is what I would suggest:

• Feel - z745/945 or Cobra king
  • Forgiveness - z745
  • Turf interaction - z745/945 or Cobra
  • Sex appeal :) - VR Blades - Cobras (with orange paint removed) - 945 - mp4 - 745 - j15
  • Set I regret selling most - u45 2iron/745/945 combo. This was closely followed up by the cobras.
  • What I suggest you demoing - 745s, j15s and please please don't sleep on the Cobras.....

Feel free to PM for more info.