2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TaylorMade SuperFast and SuperFast TP

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jury is still out for me. I've been on the range the last couple of days with it. First thing you notice is the shape, if you don't like driver heads that are not traditional looking, you'll hat this one. I remember some of the traditionalists bashing the tour burner for its shape change and how it bothered them at address, if you are one of those just stop reading now. You will never see a head shape that looks this alien. I had the TP version, 8.5*, Fukuki X-stiff, this is what I found... (fyi, I have been playing the tour burner tp for 2 or so years with 8.5 degree loft and Aldila Voodoo XVS6, so that's what I will mainly be comparing it to)

Appearance: If you can get past the obvious design/asthetic difference you'll enjoy this one. For some reason I seem to be able to see more of the face of the club. I always play low loft driver (8.5) so that took some getting used to. For once when Taylormade advertised their TP version as being open, it actually turned out to be true. The TP version is easily +2.0* open, which is good for those who draw the ball a lot (i.e. me).

Sound: Good sound, solid, not clanky. You can get a high pitched ping if you really hit down on the ball, but I have also noticed that some result with the superdeep and supertri.

Feedback: you are just not going to be able to feel much ball impact in your hands. You know when you hit a perfect iron shot and you feel it in your hand? That's what I'm talking about, you will not be able to tell where on the face you hit the ball. I think this is mainly becauase the head is comparitively lighter thus moving at high speed, plus there is less metal to vibrate since it is so light. In this regard, it reminds me A LOT of the Cobra ZL, you will hear a lot more feedback than you feel.

Trajectory: First, the shaft usually determines more of your ball flight than the club, BUT the club does affect it. I have gamed this club with a Fubuki (high launch shaft) and I've had it with an Aldila RIP Beta 70X (Mid/low launch shaft). One thing is definite, the club face itself promotes higher ball flight compared to the rest of the burner family. To be clear though, this is not a ballooning driver and the trajectory was still good with the Fubuki, so if you tend to hit the ball low that should be a good combo for you, if you tend to hit the ball high I would put a high kickpoint / low trajectory shaft in the club without fear of your ball flight being too low.

Distance: There is really no getting around this one, it's longer, a lot longer than it's burner predecessors. It's longer than the Cobra ZL (which was really built to simply produce distance). I would say on average it's 10-15 yards longer than my Tour Burner and I believe once I get a lower trajectory shaft that number could grow. Example: The fence at my range is 270-280 yards away depending on what end of the range I am on. With my tour burner I consistantly roll the ball into the fence. Today, I put 6 balls into the trees behind the fence.... I have never done that and I pulled out my old Tour Burner to make sure it wasn't a perfect swing day... it wasn't, it was the Superfast. Simply put - it is stupid long.

Forgiveness: It is very forgiving, I MEAN VERY VERY FORGIVING. If you are looking for a shot shaper club, STOP READING this is not the club for you. I had to work really hard to make the ball power slice and duck hook. So, obviously there is a tradeoff, it's forgiving but not very workable.

Suggestions: if you favor a fade, this club is not going to be right for you because of the open face which will only amplify you fade/slice. If you tend to draw the ball a little and are looking for a club that adds some length and you aren't looking to work the ball a lot then this is a pretty good bet. The biggest negative this club has going for it is the head shape. While from a design standpoint it doesn't matter, the fact is some people will be distracted maybe even annoyed looking at it at address, SO GO TO YOUR LOCAL SHOP and take a look before you drop the cash and complain about the look. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I have now had my Superfast TP for maybe 8 months. I have about a 90-95 ss, and have 10.5 loft on this, with the stock reg shaft. I really, really like it. I hit it solid consistently, it sounds and feels great, and I find the ball 240-250 out there. In the past 2-3 years, I have had maybe a half-dozen drivers - SuperQuad, Wishon, Nakashima (x3), Adams, Callaway. This is my favorite of the lot.

Glad to see this forum back!

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

• 1 month later...

waiting patiently for my Superfast TP w/ RIP to come in, coming from the 09 Burner. ill post results this weekend from the range.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

• 2 weeks later...

I just got to hit mine in the air on Wednesday and oh my freakin God this things a beast. It has a nice muted sound at impact and is much more forgiving than I was expecting. I have a 10.5 TP witha Fujikura Motore F1 65-X. This is the best driver I have ever hit.. High lauch (which I struggled with before I got this 10.5 head) and low low low spin. I have never hit a driver with that high, flat trajectory that seems to never come down. I've only played one round with it but my average distance with it was around 290-310 witha couple I got out there 330+. I have always struggled with drivers because they always launched too low with too much spin to get anything out of them. that prolem is OVER!! I played Reunion (Palmer course) and had 179 into a 520 yard par 5 and on the driveable par 4 I had 320 something to the green a little downhill and flew the thing into the bushes just past the green to the right a little bit.

Needless to say, it's my favorite driver I've ever hit. I am still in the honeymoon phase so we'll see how it does in the next few months but I have zero fear I will dislike it ever... Awesome club

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I picked up a new Superfast with the Matrix Ozik Ex-Con shaft recently. I love this driver! I struggled getting past the look of the club at set-up. I'm not a fan of the triangular spaceship-like drivers that are all the craze now, but I have to admit that I was dumb in waiting this long to try a new driver. I am hitting the ball a little higher than usual but I think I'm still hitting it just as far as before. If you're reading this because you are trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on the Superfast, DO IT. It's a can't miss.

Superfast TP 9.5 Motore F1 75 grams Stiff........LOVE IT! Most accurate driver I have ever played and probably the longest overall. Control=Control=Control!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

bombs away with this thing! i get good roll off of the tee with this driver/shaft combo. long and straight!

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

• 3 months later...

I have a tp of this,just re-shafted from an xstiff to stiff, so I havn't really hit it much, won't judge it from that experience, but if it's half as good as my TP Burner I'll be in love!

On another note, this past weekend I picked up a ladies HT model superfast for my Fiance, and all she did at the range was rave about how much she loves it. She's picked up about 30-40 yards, her last club was was a Dunlop that came in a box set.

So far, Taylormade has outdone themselves....

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I searched through many drivers and found myself with the Burner Superfast TP. I love this thing. It goes a long ways. Its a good 15 yards longer than my R9 TP, and about 8 yards longer than my R7 Superquad TP. I just recently bought another Superfast TP because I like it so much. It brought my spin rate down a little bit so I have a boring ball flight and get some roll. I highly recommend it

• 10 months later...

I have seen two diffrent shaft in the original Superfast. X-Con 4.8 Matrix and Reax Burner Fuji shaft, any difference?

XR 9.0 Oban Kiyoshi Tour LTD 70 Stiff
Xhot 3 Deep 14.5 Project X 6.0
Xhot Pro Hybrid 16,18 Project X 6.5
Cobra Amp Forged KBS Tour +S 4-P
Ping Anser Circa 1972 (Mint)
CG10 58 Lob wedge, CG10 50 gap wedge

• 2 months later...

I recently found this driver for a great deal. (TP Version). At first I was not very happy with this driver, couldn't find a fairway to save my life, at the range was the same issue, just couldn't get comfortable and couldn't figure out why. Then I figured out the thing was 46.5 Inches (Old driver was 44.5). Took it to the range and decided to try and choke down a bit, maybe 2 inches. Wow, what a difference. Crushing the ball either dead straight, or with a slight draw almost everytime. Hitting farther than my old Tour Burner I'd say about 10 yards or so and thats choked down the 2 inches. Today was the first day I took it to the course and had my absolute best driving day ever. The course I usually play has quite a few tree lined, tight fairways. Hit a large majority of the fairways and the ones I missed were only off in the rough, not under the trees as usual. Long story short, its a great driver and I would recommend to anyone.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just picked a TP model up for a steal on ebay. After seeing Sneds play so well with it I got to thinking it would be fun to try an old fixed hosel again. Who knows maybe it'll stay in the bag!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

[quote name='pierso2' timestamp='1424371572' post='10986117']
Just picked a TP model up for a steal on ebay. After seeing Sneds play so well with it I got to thinking it would be fun to try an old fixed hosel again. Who knows maybe it'll stay in the bag!
[/quote]

Top Notch Driver, still on par with most of todays top drivers. I have 3 Tour issue TP Superfast long hosels and they are absolute beasts. The SLDR couldn't even kick it out the bag.

Tour SF 282 9.5*-DI 6TX
Tour R9TP 17.5*-DIAMANA Shaqx 83x
EPON AF302 Copper 3/PW-Ns Proto 2s14x
Chikara V1 54/60-Ns Proto 2s14s
Golds Yamada 85029

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have seen two diffrent shaft in the original Superfast. X-Con 4.8 Matrix and Reax Burner Fuji shaft, any difference?

I have a similar, but different question - still have my 2010 Superfast Burner 9.5 degree with the stock Matrix Ozik Xcon 4.8 shaft S-flex, love it, best driver I've ever owned, but have lost some yardage, figured the face had lost some flex (it's a bit dinged up), so bought what I thought was the same club on Ebay, looks brand new, but it has a different shaft, labeled "Superfast 48", felt way different at the range (middle of winter, haven't picked up a club in months, hit both like crap, so no other feedback to provide) - anyone know what the specs are for this shaft, who made it for Taylormade? (see pic below) Shaft feels stiffer, maybe has a different tip flex? Weighed both last night, my original driver is 310 grams, one with "48" shaft only 270 grams - different grips, but no way a grip makes that much difference in club weight. Edit: ignore the "Flex R" on the attached image of the "Taylormade 48" shaft - that's a pic I grabbed off Ebay, the one I have is Flex S.

• 1 year later...
The biggest negative this club has going for it is the head shape. While from a design standpoint it doesn't matter, the fact is some people will be distracted maybe even annoyed looking at it at address, SO GO TO YOUR LOCAL SHOP and take a look before you drop the cash and complain about the look. Hope this helps!

I will never understand why players care about head shape! If the dang club hits it 20 yards longer who cares?! I still own this club and I still outdrive everybody I play with. Get a life... it's not about looks, it's about performance.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down