The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

sfdoddsy

Oh that could be a major fail. The fusion is almost unusable for me with the diamana - well unusable without consciously altering my normal swing. Was hoping the T800 was more stable. Its on its way and I've got nothing to lose trying it out at this point. I'll let you know how it goes. The Fuji pro 62 should be here tomorrow so i'll get some swings in with that first on Saturday.

Just ordered a Fusion head on eBay!

Im Gaming #3 and #5 wood and just love it! (Straight and long)

So exited to smash it! Lets see what it will give me.

I will try it with my current Fuji Motore 6.2 TS Xflex

I hope I get some more „fusion driver is great“ posts until I get mine.

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 8°

KBS Tour Proto 105X Callaway XForged'18 UT 18°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

Oh that could be a major fail. The fusion is almost unusable for me with the diamana - well unusable without consciously altering my normal swing. Was hoping the T800 was more stable. Its on its way and I've got nothing to lose trying it out at this point. I'll let you know how it goes. The Fuji pro 62 should be here tomorrow so i'll get some swings in with that first on Saturday.

I too found the T800 and the Diamana Red to be much of a muchness.

A very cheap (now) shaft that worked really well for me was the Matrix Ozik Code 6. About $300 a few years back, but you can pick them up for peanuts on eBay and online. Matches the head colors too.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Still snow on the ground but ended the last months of the year with the fusion 10.5 with the heavy weight playing 45” with Diamana r series stiff, had the ts800 and m+ red which were too whippy and inconsistent, switch to midsize also and this the heaviest driver at 330 grams I’ve ever played.

Hit a long fairway finding fade.

Building a lighter one for spring testing.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Though I'm having issues with the shaft at the moment I found my experience with the 3 wood head and driver head to be identical. Surprisingly long and easy to keep in the fairway. Can't wait to hear how it works out for you with that shaft.

I play the woods in stock shafts! It just works!

But in the driver the 450 F4 would be not stiff enough!

I will compare my Speeder to my 450 #3 wood shaft.

I think the Speeder will be just fine!

Im looking for a little more straighter ballflight and maybe 5-10 meters more carry, compared to my current XR16!

Is there any experience which head is longer?

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

I recall some comparisons to the XR earlier in the thread but don't recall which page. See if you can search the thread.

I play the recoil in Stiff in my 3 wood and it works. I'll probably upgrade it once I work out my driver shaft because the recoil sends my aggressive swings far left. Not a huge issue since I really only use my 3 wood when I can't keep my driver in play. And generally I'm swinging easy just to put one in the fairway. But the distance and consistency I've achieved so far has me considering upgrading the shaft and benching the driver.

Stock recoils in the fairway woods were too weak for me when I went after a ball hard. I was fitted for the driver & Epic driver as well as epic woods. I tried out the Veylix Roughneck in my fusion & it was lights out better than the stock recoil. I was fitted for the diamana thump shaft in the epic 3 wood & it was almost as long as my driver. I have been testing the thump in my fusion 3w compared to the roughneck. The thump combo is slightly longer in distance. But every now & then when I don't put a decent swing on it when going hard at the ball....ball goes right. That's the Indian, sure I agree there. It's rare that it happens, but it makes you ask yourself if you want to give up a few yards to get rid of that rarity.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

I ordered my fusion with the 5 g weight, but I try to be prepared, so I’m looking for a 12 g weight to find the perfect setting when I test it first time!

Now I found this 11g weight.... is this compatible?

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

I hit the fusion today in the Recoil F4 (as my woods) and in my Motore x flex, it was a 10,5* head, so not my head!!!

First thing I have to say: it was a bad Bad Bad ball strikers day for me ??

The good thing is I didn’t miss a single fairway!! (Wtf?!)

But there were really poor shots around 210meters (230yds) carry, I have to blame these shots 100% on me! There were also a few good ones with my normal carry distance. (Around 240 mtrs)

I only had 9 shots with the driver in a time span of 3 hours!(only 1 swing with my shaft)

So I was not used to it...

But that makes the 100% fairways much more impressive.

I‘m feeling that fusion will kick my XR16 out of the bag!

Waiting for my head soooo bad... ?

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

I hit the fusion today in the Recoil F4 (as my woods) and in my Motore x flex, it was a 10,5* head, so not my head!!!

First thing I have to say: it was a bad Bad Bad ball strikers day for me

The good thing is I didn't miss a single fairway!! (Wtf?!)

But there were really poor shots around 210meters (230yds) carry, I have to blame these shots 100% on me! There were also a few good ones with my normal carry distance. (Around 240 mtrs)

I only had 9 shots with the driver in a time span of 3 hours!(only 1 swing with my shaft)

So I was not used to it...

But that makes the 100% fairways much more impressive.

I'm feeling that fusion will kick my XR16 out of the bag!

Waiting for my head soooo bad...

Nice! I had a chance to play yesterday and I had a pre-round face-off at the range between the Fusion and King Ltd and it was no contest on that day. I couldn't hit the fusion solid at all and every shot was a poorly struck slice. The King Ltd was all solid contact so it made the cut.

To be fair the Ltd was in a shaft that I really like and cut to an easy to hit 44.25". The Fusion was in the Fuji Pro 62 which I trimmed to 44.5" the night before and was swinging for the first time.

I ordered my fusion with the 5 g weight, but I try to be prepared, so I’m looking for a 12 g weight to find the perfect setting when I test it first time!

Now I found this 11g weight.... is this compatible?

Not sure about this but I know the weights from the Epic Sub-Zero Fairway wood are interchangeable with the Fusion driver.

Has anyone found a driver that is going to be similar (large, forgiving head, heel weighted) like the Fusion? Based on looks the only thing I can really see is the Rogue draw model. Would like to find another driver for the fun of it.

I am interested in this too. Has anyone with a Rogue gone head to head with the Fusion?

Has anyone found a driver that is going to be similar (large, forgiving head, heel weighted) like the Fusion? Based on looks the only thing I can really see is the Rogue draw model. Would like to find another driver for the fun of it.

I am interested in this too. Has anyone with a Rogue gone head to head with the Fusion?

I have access to the Rogue and Rogue Draw heads today that I plan to put into my same Rogue Silver shaft. Will post results on how/if they compare to the Fusion. A Callaway representative told me that the Rogue Draw is going to be a little more forgiving/heel weighted than the Fusion but we'll see.

I have access to the Rogue and Rogue Draw heads today that I plan to put into my same Rogue Silver shaft. Will post results on how/if they compare to the Fusion. A Callaway representative told me that the Rogue Draw is going to be a little more forgiving/heel weighted than the Fusion but we'll see.

More forgiving than the Fusion would be incredible! Looking forward to the reviews on both Rogue models!

I got the chance to hit both the Rogue and Rogue Draw models yesterday. It would take me some time to get used to the lighter head weight compared to the HW Fusion. My consistency probably suffered a bit but the Rogue in particular hit some bombs when I caught it well. Definitely going to give it another whirl and would love to try it with other shafts than the Synergy.

I got the chance to hit both the Rogue and Rogue Draw models yesterday. It would take me some time to get used to the lighter head weight compared to the HW Fusion. My consistency probably suffered a bit but the Rogue in particular hit some bombs when I caught it well. Definitely going to give it another whirl and would love to try it with other shafts than the Synergy.

This is great to hear. I did have a chance to hit the Rogue SZ and it was too good for my swing with the forward weight. I don't think it was necessarily that heavy it just felt that way with all of the weight forward in this particular model. If the Rogue and Rogue draw are lighter than the Fusion this is an attribute I was hoping for; at least not heavier than the Heavy Fusion.

Take this review for what it is worth. I am not a long hitter (especially for WRX standards) and only get it out there 250-260 yards generally with my Fusion.

So I got to hit the Rogue SZ, Rogue and Rogue Draw. I put them up against my Fusion. A couple days ago I first tried the SZ with a 60 gram stiff Synergy 50 shaft. As I have posted; the SZ is too good for my swing and it doesn't agree with me at all. I even took it to the outdoor range for 6 shots and my best ball was a 20 yard slice; hit well, but had a very hard time even meeting this club square on the remaining 5 shots. I did the outdoor testing with a shaft I am very familiar with and play in my Fusion Driver; the Rogue Silver 60 stiff shaft. This shaft paired with my Fusion has been completely opposite as that paired with the Fusion. The Fusion/Rogue Silver combo consistently finds the left tree line.

Today, I demo'ed the Rogue and Rogue Draw heads. I was going to put my Rogue Silver shaft into the Rogue head to start however I thought I'd try the PX Even Flow Blue 60 6.0 67 gram shaft to start. I changed the 9 degree head to +1 in the draw setting. After a practice swing I got comfortable with the large profile of this club and its rounded back end vs. the triangular Fusion I have played for 2 years now. I pulled it back and released the club nicely; I played a nice right to left shot. I would say I hit a handful of these shots and was pleased with the result. I could tell this ball was slightly turning over left but not into the left tree line left. This was an excellent feeling! I also like how I don't have to swing so hard with this combination unlike my Rogue Silver/Fusion to get it to go. There is a fine line in my swing of missing a shot way left or hitting a floater into right field and the Fusion generally produces a left tree line finish.

Next, I hit the Rogue Draw 9 degree head set to +1, standard setting, as well as in the Draw setting with the stock Synergy shaft. This club/shaft combination in the Draw setting was a left and left combo like my Fusion/Rogue Silver combo currently. This club/shaft combination set in the neutral setting was still not a solid feel for me at all. Not as near left as the Draw setting but still left and not a solid feeling.

The testing of the Rogue line so far has really surprised me. I would have thought for sure coming from the Fusion that the Rogue Draw version was going to be the winner. However, just hitting into a net I can clearly tell the difference between these 3 heads and surprisingly it looks as though the Fusion could be getting kicked out of the bag once some outdoor testing is complete. The Rogue has a really nice, large looking club head that inspires confidence when I address the ball. I'll admit I'm not crazy about the color of the Even Flow shaft but I can live with it. The club head behind the ball just looks awesome and I personally love the sound of this club; especially when compared to my Fusion. When I place my Fusion driver next to the Rogue, in my eyes the Rogue looks more forgiving. One thing I was interested before testing was if the Rogue might possibly be lighter or the same weight than my current combination. However, I wasn't able to tell any difference; it felt the same weight to me which is fine.

I do plan to hit a handful of shots with the Rogue head and Even Flow Blue combo outdoors before I hit the purchase button. I also intend to hit the Draw version with the Even Flow shaft outdoors to make sure I am not missing out on anything. However, if my speculations and feel prove to be the same after outdoor shots I am definitely putting the Rogue/Even Flow shaft combo in the bag.

Once again, take this indoor review for what its worth. I can only speak for my own personal experience and what I know my back yard swing produces. I will let you know if my findings outdoors are the same as what I experienced indoors soon!

Take this review for what it is worth. I am not a long hitter (especially for WRX standards) and only get it out there 250-260 yards generally with my Fusion.

So I got to hit the Rogue SZ, Rogue and Rogue Draw. I put them up against my Fusion. A couple days ago I first tried the SZ with a 60 gram stiff Synergy 50 shaft. As I have posted; the SZ is too good for my swing and it doesn't agree with me at all. I even took it to the outdoor range for 6 shots and my best ball was a 20 yard slice; hit well, but had a very hard time even meeting this club square on the remaining 5 shots. I did the outdoor testing with a shaft I am very familiar with and play in my Fusion Driver; the Rogue Silver 60 stiff shaft. This shaft paired with my Fusion has been completely opposite as that paired with the Fusion. The Fusion/Rogue Silver combo consistently finds the left tree line.

Today, I demo'ed the Rogue and Rogue Draw heads. I was going to put my Rogue Silver shaft into the Rogue head to start however I thought I'd try the PX Even Flow Blue 60 6.0 67 gram shaft to start. I changed the 9 degree head to +1 in the draw setting. After a practice swing I got comfortable with the large profile of this club and its rounded back end vs. the triangular Fusion I have played for 2 years now. I pulled it back and released the club nicely; I played a nice right to left shot. I would say I hit a handful of these shots and was pleased with the result. I could tell this ball was slightly turning over left but not into the left tree line left. This was an excellent feeling! I also like how I don't have to swing so hard with this combination unlike my Rogue Silver/Fusion to get it to go. There is a fine line in my swing of missing a shot way left or hitting a floater into right field and the Fusion generally produces a left tree line finish.

Next, I hit the Rogue Draw 9 degree head set to +1, standard setting, as well as in the Draw setting with the stock Synergy shaft. This club/shaft combination in the Draw setting was a left and left combo like my Fusion/Rogue Silver combo currently. This club/shaft combination set in the neutral setting was still not a solid feel for me at all. Not as near left as the Draw setting but still left and not a solid feeling.

The testing of the Rogue line so far has really surprised me. I would have thought for sure coming from the Fusion that the Rogue Draw version was going to be the winner. However, just hitting into a net I can clearly tell the difference between these 3 heads and surprisingly it looks as though the Fusion could be getting kicked out of the bag once some outdoor testing is complete. The Rogue has a really nice, large looking club head that inspires confidence when I address the ball. I'll admit I'm not crazy about the color of the Even Flow shaft but I can live with it. The club head behind the ball just looks awesome and I personally love the sound of this club; especially when compared to my Fusion. When I place my Fusion driver next to the Rogue, in my eyes the Rogue looks more forgiving. One thing I was interested before testing was if the Rogue might possibly be lighter or the same weight than my current combination. However, I wasn't able to tell any difference; it felt the same weight to me which is fine.

I do plan to hit a handful of shots with the Rogue head and Even Flow Blue combo outdoors before I hit the purchase button. I also intend to hit the Draw version with the Even Flow shaft outdoors to make sure I am not missing out on anything. However, if my speculations and feel prove to be the same after outdoor shots I am definitely putting the Rogue/Even Flow shaft combo in the bag.

Once again, take this indoor review for what its worth. I can only speak for my own personal experience and what I know my back yard swing produces. I will let you know if my findings outdoors are the same as what I experienced indoors soon!

Thanks for the write up. Although you're longer than I am we sound like similar players.

And I am never faithful to a golf club. I am a rogue. LOL But I tell all of my clubs that right up front so they know where they stand. LMAO

But I have to ask you. You have the Fusion set up to "Draw" (according to your sig) and you say you find the left tree line consistently. That doesn't sound like a formula I'd put up with for 2 years. So that begs the question, have you tried your Fusion at "S" ? To try to limit the left turn of the Fusion ? Or do you set up on the left side of the tee and aim at the right tree line ? LOL

I'm not in the country right now so I can't try the Rogue yet but I surely will when I get home even though I had no success with the Epic (SZ though).

Thanks again.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Good question nsxguy!

I didn’t understand that as well!

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

Thanks for the write up. Although you're longer than I am we sound like similar players.

And I am never faithful to a golf club. I am a rogue. LOL But I tell all of my clubs that right up front so they know where they stand. LMAO

But I have to ask you. You have the Fusion set up to "Draw" (according to your sig) and you say you find the left tree line consistently. That doesn't sound like a formula I'd put up with for 2 years. So that begs the question, have you tried your Fusion at "S" ? To try to limit the left turn of the Fusion ? Or do you set up on the left side of the tee and aim at the right tree line ? LOL

I'm not in the country right now so I can't try the Rogue yet but I surely will when I get home even though I had no success with the Epic (SZ though).

Thanks again.

I did leave out some info didn’t I.

I have tried my Fusion in neutral settings (in the past and recently). However, I have been unsuccessful in striking it solid in the N position. Not only the Fusion but any driver I have been successful with has always ended up being in the D position. I don’t know the logic behind this other than I prefer the closed face and it helps me get through the ball.

I wasn’t always finding the left tree line with the Fusion. I think it more so has to do with some improvements in my swing and practicing more that has lead me to needing something a little less draw bias. It got to a point with my Fusion where I was needing to aim down the right rough and ending up in the left tree line.

The success I’ve had so far with the Rogue isn’t a bash on the Fusion in any regard. I’ve had great success with the Fusion in the past however I don’t think the Rogue Head is the only prime factor in all of this. I think the Even Flow shaft is helping things quite a bit. Even though the Rogue is a little less draw bias keep in mind that it is still a very large, forgiving head so you won’t lose this in a switch from the Fusion. Like I said, for me at address it inspires great confidence.

Time will tell soon with some outdoor results!

Nothing like having to come back to the boards and tell everyone what you least expected panned out to be the winner :lol:

Here it is..

Clearly my indoor testing and what I thought of the Standard Rogue head with EvenFlow shaft indoors did not pan out on the driving range once outdoors today! I will admit; I was super wrong in my original post. I guess there is the possibility that I was in fact striking the Standard Rogue solid inside but I have to doubt this given what I saw outdoors today.

I started with the Standard Rogue, EvenFlow shaft combo. I will admit that I hit (2) high drawing beautiful balls with this combo. However out of the 30 shots the dispersion with this combination outdoors was 40 yards at times.

I had enough of the Rogue and frankly at this point I was frustrated and was going to give up on the Rogue but I decided to go back to the pick-up and grab the Rogue Draw head and brought the stock Synergy shaft with me for the heck of it. I put the EvenFlow into the Rogue draw head and immediately on the first shot noticed the ball not going straight into right field. After a couple more balls I got the feeling of this head and started releasing the club down the line and started to hit a nice low-mid flight 15 yard draw down a driving range that is 3/4's covered in snow finishing at 240-245 yards halting to a stop in the snow (course is closed, range all to myself, I can walk out and pick-up my balls in the snow; 40 degrees and sunny today by the way). I thought this was great and was sold with this combination after 10 shots. These shots all finished within a 20-30 yard dispersion. Some of these shots were even with range balls.

At this point I am thinking to myself, "240-245 yards into a snow bank with no roll-out, this is great, can't be anything better." For the heck of it and to make sure I wasn't going to miss out on anything I decided to try the Synergy shaft in the Draw head. My first swing with it I noticed that the ball worked right to left with little effort (even less effort than the EvenFlow). I also noticed right away with this shaft that it felt quite different. That's because this shaft has different properties (made of Graphene I guess) and I can't really explain it but you should totally try it. I will admit that I didn't like the feel of this shaft vs. the Evenflow as much. However, real life golf shots don't lie. The dispersion of this shaft/head combo is tighter (all within 15 yards of each other), gaining 5-10 yards at times, and it's just plain simple to work it. I can't do this with my Fusion. I feel like with this combination I can control my driver and it's a fun club to hit again. After 7 or 8 shots with this combo I had enough; I'm going to have a new gamer!

I am flat out sold at this point and the only thing holding me from purchasing now is waiting for my club pro to get back from a golf trip so I can do some trade-ins and make the purchase. I am very excited of the possibilities with this club. Furthermore, I want to apologize on pulling the trigger too soon on my indoor review. I have learned my lesson; wait till you get it outside and make sure your feelings are real.

Final Thoughts:

If you are a Fusion lover make sure you demo the Rogue Draw! Also, I recommend the Synergy shaft!

Nothing like having to come back to the boards and tell everyone what you least expected panned out to be the winner :lol:

I am flat out sold at this point and the only thing holding me from purchasing now is waiting for my club pro to get back from a golf trip so I can do some trade-ins and make the purchase. I am very excited of the possibilities with this club. Furthermore, I want to apologize on pulling the trigger too soon on my indoor review. I have learned my lesson; wait till you get it outside and make sure your feelings are real.

Final Thoughts:

If you are a Fusion lover make sure you demo the Rogue Draw! Also, I recommend the Synergy shaft!

Probably don't have to tell you this but in your neck of the woods I imagine good conditions are still a fair ways off.

Personally, the only driver I've bought right off the first test (in the last 10 years anyway) was my current Fusion - and that was only because I was leaving the country in a few days and it was a birthday gift to myself. It happened to turn out very well.

But in the past I've been burned MANY times, as I'm sure others have been, by trying a club once, getting great results, and buying it. Nowadays I try ANY club I'm interested in on at least 4 or 5 different days to find a consistently good result.

The Rogue will be around for a while. Hope you try it more than just the one time before your season starts.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Final Thoughts:

Probably don't have to tell you this but in your neck of the woods I imagine good conditions are still a fair ways off.

Personally, the only driver I've bought right off the first test (in the last 10 years anyway) was my current Fusion - and that was only because I was leaving the country is a few days and it was a birthday gift to myself. It happened to turn out very well.

But in the past I've been burned MANY times, as I'm sure others have been, by trying a club once, getting great results, and buying it. Nowadays I try ANY club I'm interested on at least 4 or 5 different days to find a consistently good result.

The Rogue will be around for a while. Hope you try it more than just the one time before your season starts.

Yes, it’s looking like the weather will be turning to steady 40/50s so I will be getting this club out at least one more time Sunday and another time early next week. However, this guy is anxious! Very excited to put this in the bag. In fact I’m 99.999999% at this point but going to give it the time it should deserve and be more conservative in my approach before buying this driver.

I know what you mean with getting burned. That driver for me was the R11 with the Fubuki shaft; Worst purchase I ever made on a whim. Simply wanted the white head when it came out.

I’m only 29 but these are all the other drivers I’ve ever purchased new:

TM R9, Cally FTI, TM Tour Burner, Cally FT9 Tour, Cally Razr Fit, Ping G30, Fusion, and soon to be the Rogue Draw!

Feels like I’ve had more than this but this is what I remember.

• 2 weeks later...

After a short time with the Fusion I'm moving on from it. I haven't played a round with it but I've hit a couple hundred range balls with it up against the King Ltd, and G400. In the end its a fine club, and if I were a smarter player I'd probably just bag it. It is the best blend of all of the other drivers but its a compromise in some area over each. I still have my FT-IZ which I like better mainly because of the shaft pairing but for the money, I'll keep the distance upside and amazing feel of the King Ltd, and probably play the G400 when my swing isnt at its best.