An up to date hybrid shaft thread

mtg

I just wanted to get a discussion going regarding some of the new hybrid shafts out there. I don't see a central thread regarding the topic that's been posted in the last year or two.

Some great oldies with a lot of play still: thinking Speeder 904hb, Altus, Thump, Rogue, Tour Green,, RIP, etc.

Are you still playing something a few years old? Who's updated to Tensei, Atmos, KBS prototype? AD DI is a bit older and obviously still a terrific option. Do you find the new stuff better? If you are playing one of the newer designs, or if you just want to riff on the old stuff, how would you describe the feel and performance?

Also I've considered going to lightweight steel in a hybrid, maybe C taper lite or Modus 105. Anyone gone that route? You'd think it'd be more popular than it is.

Edit: Just erased some needless comments that'll only take us off topic. As one poster brought up, it was probably ill-informed anyway.

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, still playing something "old" in my hybrids - but then my driver shaft is also one most might consider old since it was first released 7 years ago.

What you playing in your hybrid?

Driver shafts a few years old are obviously still viable (probably shouldn't have used that word, didn't mean to insinuate that). Just saying material/tech improvements are more evident in the longer shaft where you're trying to improve stability at a light weight.

I just put a Pro White 90 in my Epic 3H, had been playing the stock Recoil, which was ok, but wanted to try something new, and really like the Pro's in my woods.

I will get to play it for the first time this weekend.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I've used the Tour AD-DI 105x in every hybrid I've ever owned, it just works for me...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I still go with an old one as well that just feels great to me... the Matrix HM3 105x. Been a perfect Hybrid / driving iron shaft for me.

[b]TaylorMade SIM[/b] - 10.5 deg - w/ Aldila Synergy Black Proto 60-TX tipped 0.5 - 44.75"
[b]Adams XTD TI[/b] - 2 hybrid (16.5 deg) - Matrix HM3 105g X
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 3i (1 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper Lite-X (ss1)
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 4-6: (2 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Adams MB2 - [/b] 7-PW: KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Titleist Vokey[/b] SM4: 50 F Grind - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Callaway[/b] PM Grind 56 - bent to 55, PM Grind 60 - Dynamic Gold TI s400
[b]Tiger NP2 Replica G.O.A.T.:[/b] - 35.5in

Aldila vs-proto 80 hybrid and UST VTS 85 silver are my main ones. Have a few other hanging around that might make it out on occasion - Titleist Diamana S+ 82, stock fuji's from the TM 2016 rescues and stock recoil 780 from a TEE hybrid.

And as far as driver shafts, I might agree for the sub-60 gm shafts, but the 'newer technology' shafts are not really getting any stiffer then they have been. In fact trends have been almost the opposite, especially with respect to torque.

I just put a Pro White 90 in my Epic 3H, had been playing the stock Recoil, which was ok, but wanted to try something new, and really like the Pro's in my woods.

Let us know what you think when you do - love to know how the profile feels.

Aldila vs-proto 80 hybrid and UST VTS 85 silver are my main ones. Have a few other hanging around that might make it out on occasion - Titleist Diamana S+ 82, stock fuji's from the TM 2016 rescues and stock recoil 780 from a TEE hybrid.

And as far as driver shafts, I might agree for the sub-60 gm shafts, but the 'newer technology' shafts are not really getting any stiffer then they have been. In fact trends have been almost the opposite, especially with respect to torque.

You're absolutely right - looked up torques on some older shafts (2nd and 3rd Gen Diamana, Rogue, older GD AD stuff). Torques are trending ever so slightly up if you look across the board. Mitsu has especially made this move - Tensei and Kuro Kage have markedly higher torques than Diamana. If you look at the new Aldila stuff (I'm playing a Copperhead), they're advertising their tech as increasing torsional stability. Numbers are almost identical to Rogue though. Great shaft nonetheless. Think at the end of the day we're splitting hairs. If AD DI fits your swing you'll probably never find a much better shaft - same for an ahina or Rogue. Feels might be changing a little with new material, but I remember Diamana feeling pretty damn good. New profiles help the consumer, but like I said a lot of great profiles were discovered well before the past couple years.

I just put a Veylix Rome 988 in my Callaway X Forged UT. it's an older shaft but had the best feel to me.

I've seen that guy come across the radar a few times. Care to elaborate. Stiff/soft in the butt, tip? Balance - high/low?

I had the AD DI 105x and I loved it and would highly recommend.

I also have the HZRDUS Black 105g and it's pretty stellar.

Those two shafts are both winners.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Tensei pro blue tx here. Went there from a ust v2 hybrid.

The v2 probably would have been good to stay with but I've been upgrading all my shafts and with each, moving to a stiffer flex (s to x). The ust I had was an s flex and I decided to try something premium so into the pro blue I went. Glad I did. Once I got swingweight dialed in, this shaft is top notch. But I don't know if it's any better than the ust since I haven't played the ust in x. The s flex ust was good, just a bit whippy once I started down the route of x flex shafts.

I just put a Veylix Rome 988 in my Callaway X Forged UT. it's an older shaft but had the best feel to me.

I've seen that guy come across the radar a few times. Care to elaborate. Stiff/soft in the butt, tip? Balance - high/low?

I am a high speed player but prefer a shaft with some feel to it. I tested a lot of shafts that had good numbers that felt terrible, the Veylix had a bit of a softer butt section to provide some feedback but you could go at it and it would keep up, very smooth. I tipped it an extra 1/2" but it was hitting low bullets for me which is what I like to use my hybrid/utility for.

Let us know what you think when you do - love to know how the profile feels.

Will do, should get a couple rounds in this weekend.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

AD HY and AD DI hybrid shafts are on my radar, currently play the Tour Blue in my 4H and Tour Green in my 5H....

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

I still play the really old graphite design YS 105 Hybrid shafts, but I have always tipped them extra

I also have some Accra XH105 blues hiding somewhere

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I'm old school with some Project X HC1 95g 6.5. They do everything I want. I had some Diamana D+ 90g's, but they were soft. Ball would balloon and dispersion was terrible. Went back to an old reliable and all is good. I think total cost for them w/ shipping was like $32...$16/shaft. Can't beat it. Got them from golfdealsandsteals.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

I'm old school with some Project X HC1 95g 6.5. They do everything I want. I had some Diamana D+ 90g's, but they were soft. Ball would balloon and dispersion was terrible. Went back to an old reliable and all is good. I think total cost for them w/ shipping was like $32...$16/shaft. Can't beat it. Got them from golfdealsandsteals.

I have a couple HB6 shafts in a UDI and driving iron and another one uncut to use in a hybrid at a later date. BEST HYBRID SHAFT I'VE EVER USED.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I only hit it 3 times yesterday, but like what I saw. I hit 2 great shots with it, one off the tee, one off the deck, then just put a bad swing on one.

I like the feel, hoping to hit it more today.

The Pro Orange is flat out the best shaft I have ever hit in a driver.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

For those who really liked 904hb, go Tensei Pro White 100.

For those that liked Altus, go Tensei Pro Blue 90.

For those who wanted 904hb spin with higher launch, Tensei Pro White 90. Which is what I personally play in my UDI #3.

And for those of us that don't have crazy high swing speeds, check out the Mitsubishi OT Tour Hybrid shafts. They are flat out amazing! Smooth and powerful!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

The Pro White 90 is great. I hit it multiple times today, love the flight, not too low, not too high. I am not a high swing speed guy, so just got the 90s, and did not tip it. I think I am going to like this a lot, really liked it from the tee.

These Tensei Pro shafts are for real, they literally help keep the ball in a tighter pattern, even on slight misses. This is my first foray into more exotic shafts, glad I picked these.

The Orange is f----- awesome!!!!

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

The Pro White 90 is great. I hit it multiple times today, love the flight, not too low, not too high. I am not a high swing speed guy, so just got the 90s, and did not tip it. I think I am going to like this a lot, really liked it from the tee.

These Tensei Pro shafts are for real, they literally help keep the ball in a tighter pattern, even on slight misses. This is my first foray into more exotic shafts, glad I picked these.

Pro blue in my hybrid and I love it. I went tx flex and tipped it. Most anti left hybrid I've ever swung. You're dead on with the dispersion comment. These shafts are legit.

Quick question on the orange....how do you find it launches? I may get one but have heard it is a low/low shaft. I'm kinda looking for something a bit more mid. Thanks!

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Quick question on the orange....how do you find it launches? I may get one but have heard it is a low/low shaft. I'm kinda looking for something a bit more mid. Thanks!

I don't think it is a low\low, I always try to stay away from those (except the hybrid), seems a perfect mid\low to me, and I don't hit the ball high.

I got to play the Orange in the driver and 3 wood a few rounds over the winter, but had my Epic heads in getting refinished. This was like getting all new woods, and have 0 desire to look at Rogue, or M series now.

Liking the fli-hi's?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I don't think it is a low\low, I always try to stay away from those (except the hybrid), seems a perfect mid\low to me, and I don't hit the ball high.

I got to play the Orange in the driver and 3 wood a few rounds over the winter, but had my Epic heads in getting refinished. This was like getting all new woods, and have 0 desire to look at Rogue, or M series now.

Liking the fli-hi's?

The data backs up your comments. Pro orange is really more mid launch, very low spin.

Pro blue in my hybrid and I love it. I went tx flex and tipped it. Most anti left hybrid I've ever swung. You're dead on with the dispersion comment. These shafts are legit.

Tensei line is the unquestioned king for us. We sell more Tensei Pro line than anything else by a pretty wide margin.

Liking the fli-hi's?

Thank you! I'm actually in the process of dumping the Fli-His. I probably should not have gotten them with the C-Tapers. They feel pretty crappy and I don't find them any more forgiving than my MP5 5 iron....so me thinks it is a shaft issue. For now, I'm dumping them on the bay and moving on. May consider going back at some stage. Really eye balling all the great Cally gear this year (Rogues, X Forged etc.).

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]