2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Seen some minor combinations but nothing definitive, anyone doing something like 5-7 OL, then VL the rest of the way? Really interested in the forged tec's and doing a mixed set. I struggle namely with the 5 and 6 irons but 7 down is pretty good. So my thought process is not to mess any of that up and play VL from the 7 down and just get a 5 and 6 in the OL. I play my hybrids and woods short anyways but wouldn't be opposed to a OL hybrid eventually. I know the whole point of the concept is to play the same swing with every iron but at least in practice at my local golf shop I just couldn't do the clubs like the 9-GW in OL. Im sure I would get used to it but trying to think about a mix and match instead.

Quite honestly I feel most confident over an 8 iron length so perhaps could do a whole set (or just the 8-GW at 8 iron and 5-7 at 7) but its an expensive experiment at $1100. Curious if anyone else has played around in these gray areas.

My own opinion of course, but I feel like the shorter you go length wise, the more trouble you would have achieving optimal launch, spin, and height with the stronger lofted clubs. Since VL sets rely on length to help get the ball airborne in a lot of cases, I feel like a club that is 2-2.5 inches shorter than what the head is "designed" for would flatten out the flight too much, given that is the biggest knock on OL irons.

I guess it all depends on our far you want to hit a particular club and how long of courses you play. My personal opinion golfers who prefer SL want accuracy over distance while VL will give up accuracy for more distance. I'd rather be short and in front of the green than pin high wide right/left or long/over because most hazards are place to sides and back of greens. Just my personal opinion, but I am a minority for this forum as I don't play X shafts and don't hit my driver 300+ yards. I am a R flex guy.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Had my best day yet with my one-lengths. I'm normally a mid 80s shooter. My best score ever is 79 twice. I only had enough time after work for 9 holes before sundown. 6 pars, 2 bogeys, and 1 birdie later (37) I was on cloud 9 and bummed that I couldn't play a full 18 and challenge my personal best.

Today I was playing with my newly shortened driver (43.5") from the tips. (3400yds for 9). Got to a short par 5 in 2 Drv/5i. Missed the eagle putt by inches and tapped in for birdie. Bogeyed a long par 3 (tee shot into greenside bunker, out, then 2 putt) and a tricky par 4 (had to punch out from behind trees).

Super excited to play a full round with my normal 4some soon and see whether I can put together a decent score.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Seen some minor combinations but nothing definitive, anyone doing something like 5-7 OL, then VL the rest of the way? Really interested in the forged tec's and doing a mixed set. I struggle namely with the 5 and 6 irons but 7 down is pretty good. So my thought process is not to mess any of that up and play VL from the 7 down and just get a 5 and 6 in the OL. I play my hybrids and woods short anyways but wouldn't be opposed to a OL hybrid eventually. I know the whole point of the concept is to play the same swing with every iron but at least in practice at my local golf shop I just couldn't do the clubs like the 9-GW in OL. Im sure I would get used to it but trying to think about a mix and match instead.

Quite honestly I feel most confident over an 8 iron length so perhaps could do a whole set (or just the 8-GW at 8 iron and 5-7 at 7) but its an expensive experiment at $1100. Curious if anyone else has played around in these gray areas.

My own opinion of course, but I feel like the shorter you go length wise, the more trouble you would have achieving optimal launch, spin, and height with the stronger lofted clubs. Since VL sets rely on length to help get the ball airborne in a lot of cases, I feel like a club that is 2-2.5 inches shorter than what the head is "designed" for would flatten out the flight too much, given that is the biggest knock on OL irons.

I guess it all depends on our far you want to hit a particular club and how long of courses you play. My personal opinion golfers who prefer SL want accuracy over distance while VL will give up accuracy for more distance. I'd rather be short and in front of the green than pin high wide right/left or long/over because most hazards are place to sides and back of greens. Just my personal opinion, but I am a minority for this forum as I don't play X shafts and don't hit my driver 300+ yards. I am a R flex guy.

I don't think a lower average apex with less spin has anything to do with distance vs. accuracy. It's just a fact that most SL clubs tend to behave this way in the longer clubs because they don't have that extra 1-2 inches of extra shaft to help spring the ball up. You're solely using the loft of the club. It doesn't matter to me either way really. I agree with you, if I was tagging the flagstick with almost every shot but had to hit 7i instead of 8i from 150, do you think I would really care? Not a chance.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I made my OL hybrid about a week ago and it was OK, but I was having trouble mentally adjusting to it on the course. Visually, it was weird standing that far over a hybrid. After playing yesterday I ended up taking the hybrid apart and rebuilding a king utility the same Modus3 shaft. I know they're releasing one soon, but I never spend retail prices so it would be a while before I get my hands on one.

I added a 12g tip weight to the shaft for swing weight D2. The head has a port in the toe, but the tip weight was easier for now. The club is measuring slightly longer than my irons (37.75 vs 37.5) because of the adapter depth and a hosel height differences between the Fly-Z hybrid and the King Utility.

Garage swings feel good... Can't complain so far. We'll see what happens on the course.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I have a few rounds in with OL forged with PX LZ and have noticed that the "shorter" irons seem to kick more when I swing easy. Not sure what's going on but suspect I'm swinging harder with the longer irons. Need to figure this out because I love the concept and the clubs.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

I'm debating taking my Adams DHYs and cutting them down to my SL length... can get lots of weight into the back port area. Would be an interesting test.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I'm debating taking my Adams DHYs and cutting them down to my SL length... can get lots of weight into the back port area. Would be an interesting test.

I considered that also, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get different weights. My Dhy weights look different than all of the ones that I've seen on ebay or other sites.

I'm working on forgetting different swing thoughts for different clubs. For instance I'm relearning how to hit down on a four iron instead of sweeping and using the same tempo for all. I'm committed this year and looking forward to a better swing overall.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

Trying out F7 One Lengths tomorrow. Anything I should or shouldnt expect? Can get em dirt cheap in new condition if I like them.

Based on my experience, you should expect the long irons to feel like cheating, but also tough to get your normal gapping. Short irons will seem a little strange. Swing the 7i for 2 or 3 swings before you start, then try to ignore the numbers on everything else. Keep that 7i feel and thought in mind and swing away.

Trying out F7 One Lengths tomorrow. Anything I should or shouldn’t expect? Can get ‘em dirt cheap in new condition if I like them.

Based on my experience, you should expect the long irons to feel like cheating, but also tough to get your normal gapping. Short irons will seem a little strange. Swing the 7i for 2 or 3 swings before you start, then try to ignore the numbers on everything else. Keep that 7i feel and thought in mind and swing away.

Thanks.

Hello everyone i have a question for anyone that has been fitted for single length irons

if on your stranded length set of irons your lie angle is 2 deg upright would it be the same on single length irons?

or am I totally wrong on that

great reviews guys

Tall Golfer

It depends on so many variables. More than likely you would get close to your fitting.

I used to play +1" and 3* upright on my VL irons...my Edels are 37.5" and 2* upright...or + 1/2".

If I wanted to hit single length irons but needed a heavier weight graphite shaft, is Edel my only option?

Ping G400 LST w/ Veylix Roughneck
Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Bimatrx Proto
Callaway Rogue 4 AD-DI
PRGR 020i 3 Ozik Altus 
Cobra King Forged Tec 4-G Modus Tour 105
Chikara 55/60 Ozik Program 130
The Never Ending Putter Hall of Shame

Possible help for those interested in the SL concept but don't want to fully commit financially. Like many I was intrigued by the concept but just couldn't commit financially to something that I didn't know would work for me after hitting standard clubs for 25+ years. At the time I was playing a GI set from a lesser-known company called Gigagolf. They allow you to customize your build with various shafts and grips as well as customize length and lie at no extra charge. When they released their SL option for the set that I was already playing for $190 I figured why not? For what they are and do, Gigagolf is actually a really solid maker. They're just not a big name company paying big bucks for pros and marketing so they can keep consumer costs down. http://gigagolf.com/club_detailsHTML.jhtml?manufacturer=GigaGolf&groupnum=MI-GGTM20-SET After 2 seasons in play, I just realized that I couldn't adapt as well as I had hoped and my my game didn't really improve.. so I found myself going back to standard length. 2 seasons of play and I sold them for $100 and put that toward my Maltby DBM's (which I absolutely love).

Ultimately I was only out $100 but I gained some experience in the process, so I feel I broke even. I don't resent the single length venture because it didn't really set me back financially and if anything, I feel it helped me to really dial in my swing mechanics by simplifying the approach to golf which we all know can become over complicated if we let it.. and we do. I'm playing better golf than ever with my new standard length clubs and newly refurbished swing which I can't say the SL clubs didn't help me achieve.

If I wanted to hit single length irons but needed a heavier weight graphite shaft, is Edel my only option?

You can get custom shafts with Cobra. I was looking at the steel fibers. A little pricey, but an option.

Cobra Radspeed Driver 
Cobra Radspeed big tour 3 wood 
Cobra Radspeed Tour 5 Wood
Grindworks PR-201 4-P

Grindworks 86 Raw wedges 51,57,61
Sik DW

Possible help for those interested in the SL concept but don't want to fully commit financially. Like many I was intrigued by the concept but just couldn't commit financially to something that I didn't know would work for me after hitting standard clubs for 25+ years. At the time I was playing a GI set from a lesser-known company called Gigagolf. They allow you to customize your build with various shafts and grips as well as customize length and lie at no extra charge. When they released their SL option for the set that I was already playing for $190 I figured why not? For what they are and do, Gigagolf is actually a really solid maker. They're just not a big name company paying big bucks for pros and marketing so they can keep consumer costs down. http://gigagolf.com/...m=MI-GGTM20-SET After 2 seasons in play, I just realized that I couldn't adapt as well as I had hoped and my my game didn't really improve.. so I found myself going back to standard length. 2 seasons of play and I sold them for $100 and put that toward my Maltby DBM's (which I absolutely love).

Ultimately I was only out $100 but I gained some experience in the process, so I feel I broke even. I don't resent the single length venture because it didn't really set me back financially and if anything, I feel it helped me to really dial in my swing mechanics by simplifying the approach to golf which we all know can become over complicated if we let it.. and we do. I'm playing better golf than ever with my new standard length clubs and newly refurbished swing which I can't say the SL clubs didn't help me achieve.

My first good set of gold clubs (VL) were from Giga Golf. I used their forged cavity backs for a couple years. Solidly built, good clubs with great service and customization. However, I do find them to be a step down from the major manufactures quality of materials. If i was choosing from the value brand manufactures, I'd recommend Giga golf in a heartbeat. A great choice to dip your toes into the SL concept.

I've been have great luck with Ebay clubs. The only club I have that cost more the $65 is a Ping sand wedge, that is now regulated to practice only. My Edels were 1/4 the MSRP, almost brand new. I do lose out on the benefits of a proper fitting, but I get to tinker with my set up.

Possible help for those interested in the SL concept but don't want to fully commit financially. Like many I was intrigued by the concept but just couldn't commit financially to something that I didn't know would work for me after hitting standard clubs for 25+ years. At the time I was playing a GI set from a lesser-known company called Gigagolf. They allow you to customize your build with various shafts and grips as well as customize length and lie at no extra charge. When they released their SL option for the set that I was already playing for $190 I figured why not? For what they are and do, Gigagolf is actually a really solid maker. They're just not a big name company paying big bucks for pros and marketing so they can keep consumer costs down. http://gigagolf.com/...m=MI-GGTM20-SET After 2 seasons in play, I just realized that I couldn't adapt as well as I had hoped and my my game didn't really improve.. so I found myself going back to standard length. 2 seasons of play and I sold them for $100 and put that toward my Maltby DBM's (which I absolutely love).

My first good set of gold clubs (VL) were from Giga Golf. I used their forged cavity backs for a couple years. Solidly built, good clubs with great service and customization. However, I do find them to be a step down from the major manufactures quality of materials. If i was choosing from the value brand manufactures, I'd recommend Giga golf in a heartbeat. A great choice to dip your toes into the SL concept.

I've been have great luck with Ebay clubs. The only club I have that cost more the $65 is a Ping sand wedge, that is now regulated to practice only. My Edels were 1/4 the MSRP, almost brand new. I do lose out on the benefits of a proper fitting, but I get to tinker with my set up.

You definitely hit that on on the head. Gigagolf is a great company for a golfer on a budget or possibly a newer golfer looking to get into the game without investing a ton before realizing how damn difficult this game can be.. or someone wanting to give SL a whirl on the cheap like me. The club models were good for what they were (inexpensive GI style). I also agree that OEM's tend to have much tighter tolerances for quality and just put out more attractive and better quality products with much more variety. I know this is off topic for this particular thread because they don't make SL but I've really been impressed with Maltby stuff.. especially at a fraction of the cost of OEM's. I switched to their forged DBM's this month and couldn't be more impressed.. and I feel they do hold up to OEM's all day long.

I'm having such great success with the OL hybrids that I'm now looking to purchase the 19* to go with the 22* and 25*. If Cobra had a 16* I'd buy that too and use it as a driving iron. I called Cobra to see if there was anyway to build such club using f7 hybrid and they said that they didn't offer weights heavy enough to get the F7 head weight high enough. Sounds like some experimentation might be in order.

Thanks for the responses. I'm intrigued, don't know if I can make myself pull the trigger. The idea of blading a gap wedge 50 yards over the green is daunting....

Ping G400 LST w/ Veylix Roughneck
Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Bimatrx Proto
Callaway Rogue 4 AD-DI
PRGR 020i 3 Ozik Altus 
Cobra King Forged Tec 4-G Modus Tour 105
Chikara 55/60 Ozik Program 130
The Never Ending Putter Hall of Shame

Thanks for the responses. I'm intrigued, don't know if I can make myself pull the trigger. The idea of blading a gap wedge 50 yards over the green is daunting....

If that’s what is holding you back, plenty of guys use VL wedges.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

If that's what is holding you back, plenty of guys use VL wedges.

And plenty more can still blade a VL wedge just as far or farther over the green...

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Regardless of VL or SL, blading a shot is from the swing, not the club. Even pros put a bad swing on a shot every once in a while.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

If that's what is holding you back, plenty of guys use VL wedges.

And plenty more can still blade a VL wedge just as far or farther over the green...

When I played SL, I carried a gap and SW in SL and a SW and 60* in VL (yes 2 sand wedges). The SL really didn't work for me on finesse shots (50 yds, bunker, green side, etc) but on full swings from 100+ yds they were awesome! Especially if I had to get over a tree or just put it way up in the air.

I will say...this can be a issue. I have done it twice, and it sucks.

That being said...the more I hit the clubs...the more I trust them and the better and better I hit them. I think the bladed GW that flies 150 yards is going to be fewer and further between.

I will say...this can be a issue. I have done it twice, and it sucks.

That being said...the more I hit the clubs...the more I trust them and the better and better I hit them. I think the bladed GW that flies 150 yards is going to be fewer and further between.

There is NO rule that say you MUST have a OL gap wedge. Personally, I kept my 3 wedges 50*, 52* and 56* because I was happy with them, they are short and give me distance control I need and I do not need to change there. Also, if you going to hit a hot rocket, its a HOT ROCKET, doesn't matter if the club is VL or OL, its a poor shot, nothing is going to save you.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing